Loudwire Top 50 Frontmen/Guitarists/Bassists...

The problem with this is they have amalgamated the genres 'metal' and 'hard rock' so you have people from Slayer and Venom competing with chaps from Queen, Cream, Hendrix Experience and The Who! Still, I wholeheartedly agree with Jimi Hendrix's victory and Fred topping the vocalists is not going to get many complaints from me. Not sure about Steve Harris ahead of people like Entwhistle, Jack Bruce, Lemmy and Lynott? And Jason Newstead ahead of McKagan (Jason is always considered distinct 'third best' in his own bloody band)! Drummers are problematic for me here because I tend to like more groove laden, ('reserved' you might say), drummers like Charlie Watts who is not hard rock - and certainly not metal! I suppose Phil Rudd and Adler are my own personal brand of drummer. I also like Mitch Mitchell who offers a bit of a compromise here as someone who could really bash it, yet had the 'jazz tradition' and groove. I would select Mitch Mitchell for numero uno then, followed by Moon the Loon and Ginger Baker. Don't forget Peter Criss (in his pomp) also. People like Lombardo and Bostaph are horrific to the ears but they are 'heavy metal' drummers and if you like that genre you will probably like them.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Everybody from metallica is in there, including all thre halberdiers. I know it's because it is a hard rock/ metal list, but it's so good to see a top list WITHOUT a beatle.

Paul could have gotten in there with bass, the Beatles didn't really have a frontman except for maybe John in the early years. George could get in for guitar, his style evolved over the years and Ringo should have been in there for drums.

Fucking Gene Simmons got in there for bass. Paul can play in circles around him.

These list are terrible, I mean Hendrix and Grohl top Cornell and Staley on a vocalist list!!!!! Wtf smh.

Any guitar list with guys with no good music like Satriani topping Kim Thayil or Cantrell is just ridiculous.

Edited by MEXzilla
  • Like 3

Everybody from metallica is in there, including all thre halberdiers. I know it's because it is a hard rock/ metal list, but it's so good to see a top list WITHOUT a beatle.

Paul could have gotten in there with bass, the Beatles didn't really have a frontman except for maybe John in the early years. George could get in for guitar, his style evolved over the years and Ringo should have been in there for drums.

Fucking Gene Simmons got in there for bass. Paul can play in circles around him.

It is ehh, 'metal' and 'hard rock'. The Beatles were not really heavy rock except on a few songs like Helter Skelter and I Want You.

DC under Brian are different. Under Bon it was more, pub rock, lads on the town, chasing birds. They appealed to Australia's macho male culture, beer slugging ute driving cricket fans. They also had a dark side, producing criminal stuff like Night Prowler and Jailbreak - Bon was in prison for awhile so it was a reoccurring theme for him. With Brian it is less pub, more arena rock. It is a bit less sleazy (but still a bit sleazy) and a lot less dark. It is more about self parody. DC went the route the Stones had entered earlier with It's Only Rock 'N Roll, producing stuff like 'For Those About to Rock', rock n' roll masturbation songs.

• Like 1

Speaking of heavy metal, have you seen how many sub-genres there are? There are sub-genres of sub-genres of sub-genres,

Source,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

• Like 1

Duff and Adler do not deserve to be on the list.

Really? In any list of hard rock/metal drummers and bassists I would think they would make a top 50. Duff's basslines during the opening of Sweet Child Rocket Queen should get him in alone.

Btw these lists are more pointless than a condom after sex

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

Really? In any list of hard rock/metal drummers and bassists I would think they would make a top 50. Duff's basslines during the opening of Sweet Child should get him in alone.

If we're talking strictly hard rock, maybe, because hard rock doesn't utilize bass enough to make any discernable skill or technique matter.

Another person who's too high on the list is Jason Newsted. He basically neutered Metallica's setlists for years, since he was incapable of playing a lot of Cliff's work.

Speaking of heavy metal, have you seen how many sub-genres there are? There are sub-genres of sub-genres of sub-genres,

Source,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_subgenres

a lot of those are bullshit IE teutonic thrash isnt a sub genre its just a way to describe the big thrash bands from germany its similar to "the big 4" of american thrash.

as for the lists, nice to see king diamond get a nod and dio higher than ozzy :wub:

Really? In any list of hard rock/metal drummers and bassists I would think they would make a top 50. Duff's basslines during the opening of Sweet Child should get him in alone.

If we're talking strictly hard rock, maybe, because hard rock doesn't utilize bass enough to make any discernable skill or technique matter.

Another person who's too high on the list is Jason Newsted. He basically neutered Metallica's setlists for years, since he was incapable of playing a lot of Cliff's work.

I lol'd

Yet Entwhistle, John Paul Jones, Jack Bruce, Phil Lynott, Gene Simmons and Cliff Williams are on the list. Irrespective of subjectivity, they are all more 'hard rock' than 'metal' and most people would have at least three of those on any given 'greatest bassist' list.