Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow

Silent Jay

He sounds a lot like DP MK III Coverdale but maybe a little rougher........has a great rock voice but the backing band sounds like 90's era Whitesnake IMHO...........Not sure how he will sound on the MK II DP material as I don't think he has Gillian's range but it will be interesting to hear him do the Dio era Rainbow stuff .............

That being said looks like the NEC show sold out and tickets were hard to get so hoping this encourages Ritchie to add some shows here in the U.S.

https://darkerthanblue.wordpress.com/2015/11/06/rainbow-sold-out/

• 1 month later...

Music fans will never let things die.

Rainbow died decades ago.

Blackmore in DP the same.

This is some cash grab bullshit. You want to hear these songs proper? Throw the album on.

It's people going to see him play guitar in person. If you are a fan, it's natural you'd want to go. You pay for a night out to watch and hear him play the guitar and that experience is quite different from throwing an album on.

• Like 2

Let's go see eric clapton after this and then kill ourselves out of boredom

No need to be a dick about it Sixes,we have never had an issue before. I can say the same about you and Miley Cyrus since I feel like her music is mostly garbage. It's a subjective thing

You're the one being the dick with your good for you comment.

Let's be dicks together.

Infinitely more interesting that ritchie blackmore

• Like 1

Didn't impressed from ronnie romeo vocals,let's hope will pay good tribute to the old songs.You can say worst words about blackmore's night band,how stupid guy was and still remain all over the years,but that bitchy,awful,whore cyrus make me vomit around every time i see her.svomit_100-121.gif

Edited by Majestic Beast

All over the years actually some of members of his bands almost begging for reunions,either DP or Rainbow line ups and blackmore didn't ever gave shit to make a reunion for money or whatever.

You see,hughes,coverdale,joe lee turner etc would kill for a reunion tour or new album just to make some cash,blackmore is a don't give a shit guy,he knows there couldn't be rainbow reunion without him,can't exist original purple without him.

Fans will pay and make these concerts sold out,they don't care who is singing,who is in drum kit,who is the keyboardist,it's enough to see blackmore playing again his old rock stuff.

Let's wait and see,then judge.

All over the years actually some of members of his bands almost begging for reunions,either DP or Rainbow line ups and blackmore didn't ever gave shit to make a reunion for money or whatever.

You see,hughes,coverdale,joe lee turner etc would kill for a reunion tour or new album just to make some cash,blackmore is a don't give a shit guy,he knows there couldn't be rainbow reunion without him,can't exist original purple without him.

Fans will pay and make these concerts sold out,they don't care who is singing,who is in drum kit,who is the keyboardist,it's enough to see blackmore playing again his old rock stuff.

Let's wait and see,then judge.

I don't know about that (the fan's don't care bit)...not really keen on a bunch of 20 somethings with Ritchie calling themselves Rainbow.

I mean, it isn't Rainbow.

It has a contempt for his fan's intelligence. To say, ''your so thick that I can just get a bunch of random people in and play the hits in some cash grab, and you are going to pay'' shows a contempt. Much like nugnr, don't like it at all. Don't like the way it is marketed, blatantly advertising the hits and using the old album cover. It is lazy revivalism. It is not even trying to hide the fact that Blackmore wants your money behind some sort of artistic rhetoric or Slash style nonsense about ''it feeling good to jam''. It is so contemptuous of its fanbase, and its judgement that the fanbase is stupid enough to pay up whatever, that it is not even bothering to try any longer. In fact it is a good example of why I find so many of these old fart nostalgia tours distasteful. They are not even trying to deliver full frontal nostalgia now, but saying ''I'm enough - you are still going to pay £80 tickets for, just me and me alone''. This is true if Guns pursue that absurd hybrid thing. It is also true of Queen and Adam Lambett.

"When I play rock all the time, I play with a plectrum, and now that I play this style, I've adopted a different finger style way of playing; I have to grow my fingernails so long, and it becomes very awkward if I'm playing electric. That's quite a challenge in itself."

On whether having the freedom of styles in BLACKMORE'S NIGHT given him the inspiration to progress as a guitar player:

"Definitely. It's a much wider horizon. Because in rock, I was just kind of churning out heavy metal riffs and it was becoming stale and kind of redundant what I was doing. I got kind of bored with the whole thing. Now I'm always sitting with a guitar and playing finger style when I'm trying to come up with new ideas and progressions, and it's a very natural process. Whereas I felt that in rock, it was becoming contrived. We'd need to rehearse and it would have to be a hard rock, riffy number, and [i felt like] I was starting to just repeat myself in a way."

On whether he feels like he has come home musically over the last twenty years of playing with BLACKMORE'S NIGHT:

"I feel at home playing both styles — whether it's finger style or electric. I just like the difference. It's almost more of a challenge to go on stage and play with an acoustic guitar very quietly. For me, that's a lot harder than the rock style, 'cause [when you play heavy rock], you rely on the amplifier to kind of excite people and turn up the energy. When you're playing acoustic, you've gotta try and excite and move an audience with just technique, and I find that a lot harder. But it's very rewarding. When it works, it's great."

On whether he sees BLACKMORE'S NIGHT carrying on indefinitely:

"I'd like to think so. It should be a natural thing. I think the biggest enemy is things like arthritis, which is creeping up on me in my hands, so I have to combat that. And, of course, when you get to my age, you start thinking that we can kind of play anything."

On resurrecting RAINBOW in 2016 for several festival appearances:

"BLACKMORE'S NIGHT will go on, and this is just a brief intermission of playing some good old rock, but with some good friends and some good musicians. And hopefully everybody's there for the same reason, which is it's good music and it's nostalgia, and hopefully everything goes well. And if it works, we'll do, obviously, more dates. We're only doing three this first time. But, like I said, if it works, we'll do more later on."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-on-playing-hard-rock-again-if-it-works-well-do-more-dates/#r8s3rSxXCV26Tcs4.99

"When I play rock all the time, I play with a plectrum, and now that I play this style, I've adopted a different finger style way of playing; I have to grow my fingernails so long, and it becomes very awkward if I'm playing electric. That's quite a challenge in itself."

On whether having the freedom of styles in BLACKMORE'S NIGHT given him the inspiration to progress as a guitar player:

"Definitely. It's a much wider horizon. Because in rock, I was just kind of churning out heavy metal riffs and it was becoming stale and kind of redundant what I was doing. I got kind of bored with the whole thing. Now I'm always sitting with a guitar and playing finger style when I'm trying to come up with new ideas and progressions, and it's a very natural process. Whereas I felt that in rock, it was becoming contrived. We'd need to rehearse and it would have to be a hard rock, riffy number, and [i felt like] I was starting to just repeat myself in a way."

On whether he feels like he has come home musically over the last twenty years of playing with BLACKMORE'S NIGHT:

"I feel at home playing both styles — whether it's finger style or electric. I just like the difference. It's almost more of a challenge to go on stage and play with an acoustic guitar very quietly. For me, that's a lot harder than the rock style, 'cause [when you play heavy rock], you rely on the amplifier to kind of excite people and turn up the energy. When you're playing acoustic, you've gotta try and excite and move an audience with just technique, and I find that a lot harder. But it's very rewarding. When it works, it's great."

On whether he sees BLACKMORE'S NIGHT carrying on indefinitely:

"I'd like to think so. It should be a natural thing. I think the biggest enemy is things like arthritis, which is creeping up on me in my hands, so I have to combat that. And, of course, when you get to my age, you start thinking that we can kind of play anything."

On resurrecting RAINBOW in 2016 for several festival appearances:

"BLACKMORE'S NIGHT will go on, and this is just a brief intermission of playing some good old rock, but with some good friends and some good musicians. And hopefully everybody's there for the same reason, which is it's good music and it's nostalgia, and hopefully everything goes well. And if it works, we'll do, obviously, more dates. We're only doing three this first time. But, like I said, if it works, we'll do more later on."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ritchie-blackmore-on-playing-hard-rock-again-if-it-works-well-do-more-dates/#r8s3rSxXCV26Tcs4.99

Great to hear he would consider doing more shows if things work out......... he is a guitar hero of mine so would love to see him one more time while he still has his chops....

dio said in an interview once that reunion almost happened but then cozy passed away in 1998 which kind of put an end to it, dio said it would never happen, but who knows. i would like to hear another rainbow album though, i thought stranger in us all was pretty good.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...