Velo Love

Gracii Guns

Surprised that I couldn't find a thread on here already dedicated to all things bikes.

Use this thread to talk about cycling through all disciplines, rides you've been on, why your bike is the best etc.

Chris1989, get your bum in here.

-------------------------

You may have seen that I purchased a 1980s bike in the Stuff You've Bought Recently thread.

It's a BSA-Raleigh three-speed. The middle gear doesn't work, due to it being a Sturmey Archer hub. I'm currently trying to get a few last years of life out of it, by restoring/replacing what I can. Although, the frame is undeniably rusty. I'm learning how to do all the maintenance myself, as my mechanic advised me to buy a new bike, rather than hunt around for replacement parts for an unusual wheel size. I can't afford a new bike.

Here's what it needs:

New mudguards.

New chain.

New pedals.

New decals.

New tyres. Purchased, just need a tyre lever now.

New lights. Purchased, just hunting for a screw to fit the front one now.

Wish: Brooks saddle. Yum.

When I got it:

n2ibed.jpg

Now, after replacement of a better condition pair of mudguards, which I resprayed gold, with new decals and basket added.

i734h5.jpg

My payday is on Thursday, so the next job is a new chain (white) and a tyre lever.

Next, I really want to try cyclocross.

Edited by Gracii Guns

The British have become bike obsessed recently seeing as it is the only sport we seem to be good at these days. I live on the Northumbrian coast and you see tons of cyclists, luminescent, lycraed out, waxed legs, bulging parts of the male anatomy on show that only should be seen by a wife or partner.

I am starting to associate cycling, hitherto a masculine pursuit, with metrosexual modern men who wax their bodily hair and carry manbags. I bet they get the full treatment: sack, back and crack.

I associate it more with saving about £250 a fucking month in travel expenses.

The British have become bike obsessed recently seeing as it is the only sport we seem to be good at these days. I live on the Northumbrian coast and you see tons of cyclists, luminescent, lycraed out, waxed legs, bulging parts of the male anatomy on show that only should be seen by a wife or partner.

Dutch Bikes were all the rage in Amsterdam.

My road bike/cycle here or even my BMX with fat pedals, get them back out of storage... Though my road cycle bike is behind me, load them up, take them to Amsterdam (because I didn't really see any other bikes out there but that Dutch Bike, for real) once these bikes are road worthy again, though dunno about the BMX, keeping up with traffic on that one isn't fun sometimes); - Take them to Holland to ride them around in Amsterdam (gears and all for my road bike) because they have this cycles first 'Bitch' lane where they get right or way all day every day and people better recognise because it's it's own thing and all red like that... Could maybe take my BMX once fresh down that cycle lane, or go touring on them flat lands on my road bike, once fresh; IDK maybe treat the city like a skate park on my BMX j/k.

Only bikes I saw out there with gears like my road bike were Politie.

I think about getting access to one of these sometimes.

red-boris-bike-620x349-460x259.jpg

Edited by Snake-Pit

Dutch Bikes were all the rage in Amsterdam.

Funny. I thought they'd all be Lithuanian.

MONIKA!

demons-06.jpg

(sorry, offline injoke) You probably might know who Monika is, but just wear a rubber.

What about Boris Bikes?

article-0-0D32B8DB00000578-203_634x665.j

Did he just rugby tackle that lady?

On a bike in sort of like a cyle-polo/rugby move?

No he's got a getaway bike.

That was taken on a mk.1 'Barclays' bike, (the first/original)!

I am srlsy thinking about 'hiring' one of them, but I fear it's too late and all the mk.1s are all gone.

Same bike but now the new mk.2 sports Santander.

I wonder how much a real street used (or even better a mint) mk.1 with Barclays'd be worth in the future?

Who knows, they did make a lot... The buyer could argue?.. :unsure: - But I just don't see them anymore!

Edited by Snake-Pit

I am srlsy thinking about 'hiring' one of them, but I fear it's too late and all the mk.1s are all gone.

I wonder how much a real street used (or even better a mint) mk.1 with Barclays'd be worth in the future?

Who knows, they did make a lot... The buyer could argue?.. :unsure: - But I just don't see them anymore!

Are you a groupie for Guns N' Roses by any chance?

Are you a groupie for Guns N' Roses by any chance?

Nope, haven't met any of them or been down to see 'em or any of their solo projects.

Edited by Snake-Pit

Just bought this for use on the daily commute. Anything to get my fat arse moving and save on bus fare. :lol:

59A19355-94ED-4CD8-93DC-2DF5894E3B71_zps

Is it as heavy as it looks?

As in very heavy or not heavy at all?
As in somewhat heavy. Can you lift it with ease, or is it a bit of effort?
I think it's incredibly light and really easy to lift. That said I don't really have anything to compare it against.