Velo Love

Gracii Guns

I got told to put some weight on when I dropped to 12 stone 4 earlier this year, so I am sitting at 13 stone 4 now.

As soon as I start doing proper cycling of 80 mile rides every weekend I will be sub 13 stone again. Nothing I can do, it just happens no matter how much I eat.

Nearly got knocked off my bike yesterday. They just drove into the cycle lane and I banged on the side of their car with my hand. I had no room to my left, and squeezed from the right. They slammed on the brakes and then drove past me blasting their horn.

I was just there thinking "What the hell, how is it my fault that you've driven into my lane?" and then realised it was a Mum coming back from the school run. Typical, daft cow probably didn't even realise that it was a cycle lane or that I was there. I saw where she lived as she pulled in straight after onto her driveway.

Topped it off in the evening though as she reversed out of said driveway into my path, then drove into the cycle lane and squeezed me again. Cue lots of waving and she put her window down and said "You're the one who hit my car this morning" and I simply responded "Well if I can touch your car, you're driving too close to me" and she drove past and slammed the brakes on.

I couldn't be arsed with arguing so just cycled round her and filtered through the traffic jam. Daft bitch. I know where she lives and if I see her do anything similar again it'll be a phone call to the police.

Nearly got knocked off my bike yesterday. They just drove into the cycle lane and I banged on the side of their car with my hand. I had no room to my left, and squeezed from the right. They slammed on the brakes and then drove past me blasting their horn.

I was just there thinking "What the hell, how is it my fault that you've driven into my lane?" and then realised it was a Mum coming back from the school run. Typical, daft cow probably didn't even realise that it was a cycle lane or that I was there. I saw where she lived as she pulled in straight after onto her driveway.

Topped it off in the evening though as she reversed out of said driveway into my path, then drove into the cycle lane and squeezed me again. Cue lots of waving and she put her window down and said "You're the one who hit my car this morning" and I simply responded "Well if I can touch your car, you're driving too close to me" and she drove past and slammed the brakes on.

I couldn't be arsed with arguing so just cycled round her and filtered through the traffic jam. Daft bitch. I know where she lives and if I see her do anything similar again it'll be a phone call to the police.

Knock on the door and offer her old man out for a straightener!

I am dutch, so yeah I have bikes.

The only bike I have a deep love for is my carrier bike. Four kids fit in there and it has a supporting engine.❤️

image.jpg1_zpsmo99z2t3.jpg

This is my other, usually two kids and groceries are transported with it. We know how to ride a bike

It's really low, so it's much safer when transporting all that.

image.jpg2_zpsvr4kldjx.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Crashed my bike in a race yesterday. First proper accident I have had during a race, and normally it's because the group bunches and you bang wheels. I did this all on my own, throwing the bike into a corner with a nice amount of lean, then lowsided and hit the deck. Not fun, and required a trip into the ambulance to get my wounds sorted.

Shit happens. 

5 minutes ago, Chris1989 said:

Crashed my bike in a race yesterday. First proper accident I have had during a race, and normally it's because the group bunches and you bang wheels. I did this all on my own, throwing the bike into a corner with a nice amount of lean, then lowsided and hit the deck. Not fun, and required a trip into the ambulance to get my wounds sorted.

Shit happens. 

Sorry about that Chris. Are you going to be OK?

Yeah, just nasty road rash and a few bits of skin I needed to cut off. I remounted the bike and did another two laps, but the brakes and rear wheel were too knackered to continue at competitive speed.

I did 22 miles today, was supposed to be 50 but my knee is too swollen. Pissed off, destroyed my brand new kit :(

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use a SCOTT bike for daily commute and enjoy it! it's a great way to start the day.

Question for you velo lovers; what do you use against rain? I have a rain jacket but it's too hot for the summer and it doesn't cover everything.

So I was debating about getting a bike poncho, it looks a very dry system though perhaps not ideal when it's overly windy. Anyone got some experience with these?

boncho.jpg.662x0_q70_crop-scale.jpg

Also, they make you look like the phantom of the opera :lol:

I can foresee all kinds of terrible with bike ponchos.

While I'm a fair weather rider, but from my knowledge, cycling hasn't yet found the prefect compromise for all-weather clothing. If you ride to work daily, I suggest you have a "bike commute" outfit and change into your work gear at work. It's not always practical, but in my mind it's worth it so your work clothes always look smart. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gracii Guns said:

I can foresee all kinds of terrible with bike ponchos.

While I'm a fair weather rider, but from my knowledge, cycling hasn't yet found the prefect compromise for all-weather clothing. If you ride to work daily, I suggest you have a "bike commute" outfit and change into your work gear at work. It's not always practical, but in my mind it's worth it so your work clothes always look smart. 

Agreed! I cycle to work and back every day, it's roughly 6 miles each way and I live in Cheshire where it pisses down almost every day. Personally I prefer to get soaked and shower at work then cycle 6 miles in waterproofs. The only difference really is that I'm either soaking from the elements or sweat.