ICED EARTH

Majestic Beast

Their two last albums with new frontman Stu Block,Dystopia and Plagues of Babylon gave a new fresh air and their live are again powerfull.Brent Smedley(drummer) left the band,jon dette replaced him.Barlow and Ripper Owens now are almost nowhere,their bands nothing special.

I have seen many disagreements between the fans for which era was better,barlow vs Owens battles,if Block is the perfect solution as many say,if barlow can sing ripper's era songs like ten thousand strong,decleration day,framing armageddon,if ripper can catch the feeling of barlow's songs.

Edited by Majestic Beast
  • Like 1

i think stu is a great fit, dystopia was a great comeback, plagues was good but not as good as dystopia IMO. the only problem with stu(and its not really stu) is i wish jon would just let him go off once in a while. the guy has an unbelievable voice with great range, going from barlow-esque to almost rob halford. i really like what they did at the beginning of dark city

i want more of that

(this as well)

probably without the growls, they probably wouldnt gel with iced earth :lol:

Im a big fan of ripper, i wasnt huge on glorious burden, although the gettysburg trilogy is fantastic(especially high water mark, that last verse is just amazing)

i felt framing armageddon- something wicked part I is criminally underrated. the clouding, retribution through the ages, ten thousand strong are fantastic.

barlow will always to me bet THE iced earth singer, his vocals are amazing plus they really fit that thrashy vibe they had early on with burnt offerings and his voice only improved as the music came more dynamic, his vocals on(especially his high register) on the horror show were especially good.

have you hear barlow's new(ish) band ashes of ares?

Only album I heard was Tribute to the Gods. Not sure who sings that but I thought they had a strong band leader.

matt barlow sang on that album. never been a fan of cover albums but i thought that one was pretty decent.

After second leave of barlow i thought they are done,die hard fans never accepted ripper's era as a part of iced earth success and schaffer was in a mediocre period writing,then i searched how many line ups this band changed over the years,we can't even talk for "original" iced earth,this band always was jon's business,members come and leaving before you realize it.

Like you said Dystopia was a good comeback,last album not so but still has some decent songs.Jon is a great rhythm guitarist.

Edited by Majestic Beast
  • Like 1

Who is the guy that basically runs the band?

jon schaffer the rhythm guitarist. he is the founding member and the only member to ever play on all the albums. iced earth have gone through a shit ton of band lineups, the first 3 albums had 3 different singers and 3 different drummers. for the most part barlow/schaffer was the only time iced earth was stable, a run that lasted almost 10 years(1995-2004) barlow left and was replaced by tim ripper owens who did 2 albums, barlow came back did 1 album and then left again.

So it's Schaffer's band. Ripper Owens is the guy who sang in Judas Priest.

yeah, owens did 2 albums and then left the band when barlow wanted to come back. owens has done a shitload of stuff since he left iced earth, the charred walls of the damned albums are quite good.

So it's Schaffer's band. Ripper Owens is the guy who sang in Judas Priest.

It's that way,same like Axl with GNR,he fires,he pays,he hires everyone he want and still remains Iced Earth,at least the sound is recognizable.The way Ripper fired from the band wasn't too professional he says,Schaffer says forced to fire him cause Ripper lack of feeling in the band,that was a paycheck for him.The case is that both sides did faults and they broke each other.

Iced Earth never was the big name band,headliners,always were a step down from maiden,metallica,priest,megadeth,slayer etc,but there are people still listen to them cause of the old good inspired stuff and finally new singer.

Edited by Majestic Beast

I don't know exactly the real reasons but if there still respect each other why jon don't call him as guest to sing 2-3 songs in some concerts,alone or with stu together,from the other hand,i believe all these re-issues with barlow in the vocals was wrong as a move,there was no reason to re-record ripper's stuff with barlow,only if you wanted to get your fans bitching who's better with this stuff.

image.jpg

This one must be trolling right? :P

Edited by Majestic Beast

• 9 months later...

I'm a bit dissapointed with mr Jon Schaffer,the last album was mediocre,a level down from dystopia,smedley the drummer left the band,troy steele the lead guitarist announced he is leaving the band cause he tired of touring and want to give more time to his family etc and now what,again changes in line up.There is no stability.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2016 at 3:30 PM, Majestic Beast said:

I'm a bit dissapointed with mr Jon Schaffer,the last album was mediocre,a level down from dystopia,smedley the drummer left the band,troy steele the lead guitarist announced he is leaving the band cause he tired of touring and want to give more time to his family etc and now what,again changes in line up.There is no stability.

yeah i agree, smedley came back though, but yeah the lineup changes suck and the last album was a big step down from dystopia.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The album released,my opinion is,there are some really good songs,for me,the veil,defiance,clear,brothers,raven wing,the two singles are total crap shouldn't even been in the disc,the rest of the songs are from mediocre to decent.

Finally is better from previous weak album but it wont catch dystopia.