Ultimate Guitar: Reunion with Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank

I just do not want any nugnr wanker near a reunited band. I've never been particularly fond of any of them really. They always struck me as people who would sell their grandma for a groat, brown-nosers, dick-snivelers, sycophantic vegas players.

If you cannot get Izzy, get Gilby, If Adler relapses, draft in Sorum: case closed.

Don't you think that's a bit immature? What plausible reason is their to call any member of NuGNR a wanker? There is only one wanker in NuGuns, and it is the same guy who was a wanker in old Guns.

It never ceases to amaze me how people demonize NuGNR members past and present. Axl's band has had some amazingly talented and unique musicians over the years, and they all played the old songs well. It's not as if any of them were ever given the chance to function like a real collaborative band and the fault lies entirely with Axl for that. If Axl weren't so lazy and was prepared to actually write songs with the guys in his band then NuGNR could've possibly been a credible successor to the old band. But it ain't their fault that the Kingpin is a maniac.

All true but the ones who are still clinging on there, what possible reason can you provide that would make me respect them? They do not produce albums; they do not write their own materials but cover other's. The one's who realised the band is a crock of shit have all bailed; Freese, Bucket, Finck, BF, Brain - all jumped ship. Heck, even Ashba sees Nikki Sixx's solo crap as being more artistic and superior than nugnr haha. Surely it would be much better for Fortus to just pursue the Dead Daisies now.

Everyone left, when all those members have left, now looks exceptionally lame.

Well, not everyone is a songwriter. And not everyone in Old Guns was a songwriter either. Perhaps Frank, Dizzy and Richard just enjoy playing their instruments and they're all more than capable.

Original member or not, I have no more respect for Steven Adler, Matt Sorum or Gilby than I do for most of the guys in the new band. Those guys are capable musicians, but you have to admit that in regards to their overall importance to what GNR became, they were very much in the right place at the right time. There only guy who is really needed (beyond Axl, Slash and Duff) to legitimise GNR fully is Izzy, but if he doesn't want in, then it doesn't really matter who elseales up the rest of the band as far as I'm concerned.

Adler played on GN'R's greatest album and one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Sorum played on Illusion and TSI. Gilby played on TSI. I do not see how anyone can have more respect for the nugnr hacks - unless of course you are a fan of their side projects and solo stuff like the Dead Daisies? I grew up listening to Adler on Appetite. I never grew up with Frank on Appetite.

I just do not want any nugnr wanker near a reunited band. I've never been particularly fond of any of them really. They always struck me as people who would sell their grandma for a groat, brown-nosers, dick-snivelers, sycophantic vegas players.

If you cannot get Izzy, get Gilby, If Adler relapses, draft in Sorum: case closed.

Don't you think that's a bit immature? What plausible reason is their to call any member of NuGNR a wanker? There is only one wanker in NuGuns, and it is the same guy who was a wanker in old Guns.

It never ceases to amaze me how people demonize NuGNR members past and present. Axl's band has had some amazingly talented and unique musicians over the years, and they all played the old songs well. It's not as if any of them were ever given the chance to function like a real collaborative band and the fault lies entirely with Axl for that. If Axl weren't so lazy and was prepared to actually write songs with the guys in his band then NuGNR could've possibly been a credible successor to the old band. But it ain't their fault that the Kingpin is a maniac.

All true but the ones who are still clinging on there, what possible reason can you provide that would make me respect them? They do not produce albums; they do not write their own materials but cover other's. The one's who realised the band is a crock of shit have all bailed; Freese, Bucket, Finck, BF, Brain - all jumped ship. Heck, even Ashba sees Nikki Sixx's solo crap as being more artistic and superior than nugnr haha. Surely it would be much better for Fortus to just pursue the Dead Daisies now.

Well, not everyone is a songwriter. And not everyone in Old Guns was a songwriter either. Perhaps Frank, Dizzy and Richard just enjoy playing their instruments and they're all more than capable.

Original member or not, I have no more respect for Steven Adler, Matt Sorum or Gilby than I do for most of the guys in the new band. Those guys are capable musicians, but you have to admit that in regards to their overall importance to what GNR became, they were very much in the right place at the right time. There only guy who is really needed (beyond Axl, Slash and Duff) to legitimise GNR fully is Izzy, but if he doesn't want in, then it doesn't really matter who elseales up the rest of the band as far as I'm concerned.

Adler played on GN'R's greatest album and one of the greatest rock albums of all time. Sorum played on Illusion and TSI. Gilby played on TSI. I do not see how anyone can have more respect for the nugnr hacks - unless of course you are a fan of their side projects and solo stuff like the Dead Daisies? I grew up listening to Adler on Appetite. I never grew up with Frank on Appetite.

Ok for sorum who played on illusions, but saying its not gnr without gilby and that he should be there over fortus and dizzy... Cmon.

Ok for sorum who played on illusions, but saying its not gnr without gilby and that he should be there over fortus and dizzy... Cmon.

I think he should be there over Fortus for the reasons I've stated. I'm not sure where I've said it will be ''not gnr without Gilby'' as I've been pretty constant in wanting Izzy for the reunion.

Some people's idea of a 'reunion' here is, one or two hand-picked old members combined with a load of nu wankers: chuck them together - a band that has never played before - and call the thing a 'reunion'. And this is all because Johnny Schmuck can not tell his Izzys from his Dizzys or his Gilbys!

Can't really call it a reunion if you just bring back two of the original four.

1) I don't think Izzy ever wanted a reunion.I guess he will join the band for a few shows,but just that.

2) Sorum told Adler that if a reunion ever happens and Steven is not involved, Matt won't do it too.He might kept his word(or just Axl didn't want him).

3)Gilby has as much credit as Richard has in the band.Slash also likes Fortus and wanted to collaborate, so yeah Richard and Slash together will be badass.

4) Frank you are awesome, but learn to play the goddamn Brownstone.

I don't get why the hell they wouldn't get Gilby instead of Richard. I mean.. I know Izzy could be unstable but Gilby? Dude's reliable as far as I know and he's never done anything... Richard's a much better guitar player but it makes no sense for him to be there. As for Frank, Axl must really hate Matt and Steven 'cause FUCKKK....

THIS.

Exactly. Been screaming this for days. Good to see it is finally catching on. Lol.

THIS.

Exactly. Been screaming this for days. Good to see it is finally catching on. Lol.

Exactly. It makes no sense to go with Richard before trying Gilby. It makes no sense trying Frank before Matt (but I'm sure it's 'cause Axl hates Matt and Steven)

I don't get why the hell they wouldn't get Gilby instead of Richard. I mean.. I know Izzy could be unstable but Gilby? Dude's reliable as far as I know and he's never done anything... Richard's a much better guitar player but it makes no sense for him to be there. As for Frank, Axl must really hate Matt and Steven 'cause FUCKKK....

Maybe it's a loyalty thing, especially with Fortus, it's easier to ignore the existence of Gilby than to give Richard his P45.

Also, and again mega speculation, didn't Axl feel ganged up on by Slash, Duff, Matt during the UYI tour? Maybe he wants to avoid a repetition. Having 2 of 'his' guys there creates a power balance unless they become bezzie mates with the other two.

Maybe because Richard is a fantastic guitarist?

Yeah... but maybe people wanna see the old guys playing together again and not a fantastic guitar player they don't associate with classic Guns N Roses?

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 2

Fortus is fine if Izzy doesn't want to do it.

But why Frank over the two main drummers from the bands glory days? Both who are available and who would love to do it.

I love Frank. But if they bill this as a reunion then they have to bring back Adler or Sorum.

If fantastic is applied to leads, you only need one man in that band and his name is Slash. Gilby can play rhythm just as well as Fortus and already is used to playing with Slash as part of a lead/rhythm duo.

Are you Fortus people missing something? You cannot just chuck two guitarists together expecting it to work! We know Slash/Gilby works as they played two albums and 207 - i repeat, 207 - gigs together. You cannot theorise against that sort of experience.

• Like 1

If fantastic is applied to leads, you only need one man in that band and his name is Slash. Gilby can play rhythm just as well as Fortus and already is used to playing with Slash as part of a lead/rhythm duo.

Are you Fortus people missing something? You cannot just chuck two guitarists together expecting it to work! We know Slash/Gilby works as they played two albums and 207 - i repeat, 207 - gigs together. You cannot theorise against that sort of experience.

And we also know that Slash has WANTED to play with Fortus in the past. So maybe he's all for it.

But even he must know that it is not guaranteed to work. Slash is chums with Zakk Wylde and that did not work either.

Gilby, you have two studio albums and 207 shows as evidence that Hudson/Clarke works as a guitar duo. Fortus you have zilch.

True, but Zakk is a whole different beast. While being a great guitarist his sound honestly didnt fit with Guns. Fortus on the other hand has proven he has the rhythm chops for Guns and i think can adequately compliment Slashs guitar. Maybe Slash feels that way and thats why he was interested in getting Fortus in his own band?

I actually think Fortus is a cool choice . I say that as someone who has had zero interest in Chidem and Nugnr since pretty much the beginning.

I think Fortus would actually have more creative clout due to his relationship with Axl and might present some cool opportunities for Slash to up his game and put new spins on things. Fortus has lead chops -- we could get like a Richards/Wood thing. We don't actually want UYI2.0, do we? It'll just be shittier. Gilby will just be low in the mix and the same old thing.

But for some reason having Frank really doesn't jive with me... 3 original members taking a bow at the end... I dunno... I feel like four is the magic number. I want Duff and Steven powering this engine, but Matt is a great runner up.

Listening to Slash's drummer in the Conspirators.... he's a great drummer, absolutely no question... but the songs didn't FEEL like GNR to me.... its an intangible thing.... like they didn't feel like GNR the way even VR covers with Matt felt like GNR. It was hollow and I feel like Frank will be the same. VR Brownstone / It's So Easy were still fucking monsters.

Edited by Ant