Ultimate Guitar: Reunion with Axl, Slash, Duff, Richard, Frank

Axl in 1992 interview in RIP:

But the bottom line is, the business is basically run by Slash and myself. Then we run whatever it is we're discussing by Duff and see if he's cool with it. Guns N' Roses is basically Slash, Duff, Doug Goldstein and myself, but there's a lot of other people involved that are a part of our lives and a part of our family.

Since then the Guns N Roses property (not the name, but the songs) has been legally controlled by those three. They are the ones who went to court together against Universal about ten years ago. That's the core of the band legally and historically.

The bottom line with any reunion possibility is that there are best case, worst case and most realistic scenarios. And IMHO the most realistic scenario is that we would see that trio reunited.

Izzy might not even be interested in being involved in anything large scale, as others have said. He said he'd be intrested in a reunion, but he didn't necessarily say that he would be interested in doing an arena tour. He might very well feel satisfied with turning up for a few guest spots here and there and calling it a day. He hasn't been doing a lot of music or touring on his own in recent years.

And has been pointed out numerous times, over the past 20-odd years, NONE of the ex-GNRs have trusted Adler enough to invite him to be a part of their projects, aside from Slash throwing him a few bones in a guest spot once (and they key word is GUEST, Slash hasn't ever asked him to be his drummer in the projects he's done). Saying Axl's a meanie for possibly not wanting Adler on board is disingenous since NONE of them have wanted Adler on board with their projects.

And back in the day? Nobody ditched the band when Izzy left or Steven was fired. I did not get into the band with the cheesy ballads, and neither did anyone else I knew. Everyone was a fan from AfD onward. I don't remember a single person who said, "well, Izzy's not there anymore, so fuck this band." Nobody stopped buying tickets or albums when Izzy or Steven weren't there anymore. The Illusions tour was a wild success and kept going -- with that core of Axl, Slash and Duff -- for three years.

So will people buy tickets to see Axl, Slash and Duff, along with whomever they choose to fill out the rhythm section? Of course they will. It would be naive to assume otherwise.

Edited by stella

Yes, we will all live and of course people will buy tickets to see Slash, Axl and Duff. It'd be stupid not to. All we're saying is there's no answer to the Sorum question. Thats all. And it makes the reunion less than it could and should have been. Thats pretty fair. It was niave to think GNR wouldn't screw up a reunion. If anything, its the only time I don't blame Axl, but blame Slash, and Duff to a lesser extent. But I really didn't think Slash would take part in any "reunion" that wasn't all of them, and at least fight for Sorum, as I and many others think should be fought for.

However, as has been mentioned, its all about seeing Slash and Axl back on the same stage. I won't fight about that. It'll be great. It just could have been more. But obviously I'd happily fork over money to see those two, and in a way there isn't anything else to bitch about. Its what we want, just with a few tweaks. Bottom line is it shouldn't be this way, but if it has to be its certainly better than nothing.

Cause seriously, once the tour starts, Axl's gonna sound terrible anyway, so we might as well enjoy this part where just the idea of Slash and Axl in top form is appealing LOL! It only gets worse once the reunion is announced.

I mean Diesel, you'll still go if its those 3 right? For as much as we're rightly arguing its the wrong reunion, I'm still obviously gonna go. Or would Matt not being there, thus the non-possibility of a true Guns reunion, really make you save your money? I would get the reasoning, but I am curious if anyone saying its wrong, like I am, wouldn't go, cause I'd obviously still go and enjoy it for all it is.

Edited by gunsfanoldie

Any reunion will lose a lot of its appeal with Fortus and Ferrar. It will feel cheapened by their presence. That is just the way it is, no matter what you think of them as musicians. They were not part of the band that cemented GNR into rock history, they have been hired hands for 20 years. They have been part of the worst period in GNR history, living off other people's success.

It will be a huge disappointment if Izzy is not there. I can give some leeway to the drummer, but Izzy should be there and frankly the band should put their foot down. He should not get to pick and chose when he wants to appear. Either he is onboard, or he can fuck off. Honestly, I'd rather one or the other. They need to get their shit together. Fortus should be no where this reunion, I don't care what kind of guitar player he is. He needs to piss off.

Edited by Babooshka
  • Like 1

I would probably go if it arrived in my area but there will always be a bit of a reservation and question mark there. It does not quite feel right. As I said, it feels clunky and a bit of a missed opportunity. Also some people simply do not like nor respect the nugnr guys and their era - hey, accuse me of trolling all you want but they have done nothing to earn my respect or admiration. Having them is a bit like having the extra friend gatecrashing on a date; you just want them to go away basically.

But If we were discussing a reunion of Izzy/Adler, or even Matt/Gilby (NB that we do not really know anything yet), I would not be criticising it in the slightest. I would probably see two to three shows and travel out of my way and be really excited about the whole process and what happens. But a hybrid to me seems like Slash and Duff becoming Axl hirelings.

It would be typical Axl/GN'R though. Every other band simply reunites to their classic line-up or originals but GN'R comes up with this weird mish-mash which still pisses off some people. This band simply cannot do something simply and logically.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

I would probably go if it arrived in my area but there will always be a bit of a reservation and question mark there. It does not quite feel right. As I said, it feels clunky and a bit of a missed opportunity. Also some people simply do not like nor respect the nugnr guys and their era - hey, accuse me of trolling all you want but they have done nothing to earn my respect or admiration. Having them is a bit like having the extra friend gatecrashing on a date; you just want them to go away basically.

But If we were discussing a reunion of Izzy/Adler, or even Matt/Gilby (NB that we do not really know anything yet), I would not be criticising it in the slightest. I would probably see two to three shows and travel out of my way and be really excited about the whole process and what happens. But a hybrid to me seems like Slash and Duff becoming Axl hirelings.

It would be typical Axl/GN'R though. Every other band simply reunites to their classic line-up or originals but GN'R comes up with this weird mish-mash which still pisses off some people. This band simply cannot do something simply and logically.

Thats fair enough and I agree with all of it. Personally, I don't think I have the kind of power to turn it down, although they definitely turned what could have been something great into a total money grab if its just those 3. I just think, having never seen the original band, I wouldn't have the power to NOT go. And I'd probably still travel to shows, simply cause I have to make the best of it and I don't know if it'll ever get better. I agree completely that its disappointing, but I just don't think I could avoid it simply on principal, and I never thought I'd say that about Slash being back in Guns.

Yes, we will all live and of course people will buy tickets to see Slash, Axl and Duff. It'd be stupid not to. All we're saying is there's no answer to the Sorum question. Thats all. And it makes the reunion less than it could and should have been. Thats pretty fair. It was niave to think GNR wouldn't screw up a reunion. If anything, its the only time I don't blame Axl, but blame Slash, and Duff to a lesser extent. But I really didn't think Slash would take part in any "reunion" that wasn't all of them, and at least fight for Sorum, as I and many others think should be fought for.

However, as has been mentioned, its all about seeing Slash and Axl back on the same stage. I won't fight about that. It'll be great. It just could have been more. But obviously I'd happily fork over money to see those two, and in a way there isn't anything else to bitch about. Its what we want, just with a few tweaks. Bottom line is it shouldn't be this way, but if it has to be its certainly better than nothing.

Cause seriously, once the tour starts, Axl's gonna sound terrible anyway, so we might as well enjoy this part where just the idea of Slash and Axl in top form is appealing LOL! It only gets worse once the reunion is announced.

I mean Diesel, you'll still go if its those 3 right? For as much as we're rightly arguing its the wrong reunion, I'm still obviously gonna go. Or would Matt not being there, thus the non-possibility of a true Guns reunion, really make you save your money? I would get the reasoning, but I am curious if anyone saying its wrong, like I am, wouldn't go, cause I'd obviously still go and enjoy it for all it is.

Yep. Best, worst and realistic scenarios again. Slash and Izzy don't seem to be best buddies and never seem to have been (I remember reading an interview where Slash mentioned that, back in the day in Hollywood, he'd tried unsuccessfully to get Axl away from Izzy to start a band). I just can't picture Slash sitting there and saying "well, if there's no Izzy, I'm not going on." And again I think that perhaps if Izzy isn't there, it will be because he opted not to be there -- not because anyone excluded him.

As for Sorum, I am surprised he wouldn't be involved either, since if nothing else, he seems to be more reliable and also seems to have kept up good relationships with Duff and Slash. As weird as it seems, though, I almost wonder if excluding Sorum might be a way to lessen the blow to Adler if he's not involved. Adler in the past has been very upset when Sorum has been chosen for projects and he hasn't.

Would it be a "GnR" reunion without Slash and Duff?

What if Axl brought Izzy and Adler on board, and toured with Fortus and Frank?

But I don't really care who is in the band or who is part of the reunion if there is no new music being released and performed.

Edited by Apollo

As for Sorum, I am surprised he wouldn't be involved either, since if nothing else, he seems to be more reliable and also seems to have kept up good relationships with Duff and Slash. As weird as it seems, though, I almost wonder if excluding Sorum might be a way to lessen the blow to Adler if he's not involved. Adler in the past has been very upset when Sorum has been chosen for projects and he hasn't.

I wrote that theory yesterday or the day before. That they decided to not include Sorum sort of to avoid the whole Adler thing altogether. Which would must be they REALLY don't like Adler, but more so he has a buddy to say "look, they didn't invite me either!!" Still doesn't quite make sense, but I guess it does work. Personally, I don't see Slash sitting around saying "no Izzy, no me", but I do see him and Duff saying "no Sorum, no us", just cause they all seem like good friends. Seems silly that they cowered to other pressures, as Matt should be there. And seriously, I think the whole Sorum AND Adler thing works itself out. Not like anything extra has to be done to accommodate them musically, and it further legitimizes the whole thing. The song duties make themselves, Sorum is very easygoing, and my theory was thought out only grasping at the fact of why he couldn't have been included. Cause I see no other reason Slash and Duff would let it happen.

Would it be a "GnR" reunion without Slash and Duff?

What if Axl brought Izzy and Adler on board, and toured with Fortus and Frank?

But I don't really care who is in the band or who is part of the reunion if there is no new music being released and performed.

I feel like the general public would consider it a reunion. I mean it seems like for the most part, guns n roses was still guns n roses even after gilby joined. There really wasn't this huge debate on what guns n roses really is and who you need in the band until the Chinese era. Only the diehards mighty nitpick at it, which is understandable...

I wrote that theory yesterday or the day before. That they decided to not include Sorum sort of to avoid the whole Adler thing altogether. Which would must be they REALLY don't like Adler, but more so he has a buddy to say "look, they didn't invite me either!!" Still doesn't quite make sense, but I guess it does work. Personally, I don't see Slash sitting around saying "no Izzy, no me", but I do see him and Duff saying "no Sorum, no us", just cause they all seem like good friends. Seems silly that they cowered to other pressures, as Matt should be there. And seriously, I think the whole Sorum AND Adler thing works itself out. Not like anything extra has to be done to accommodate them musically, and it further legitimizes the whole thing. The song duties make themselves, Sorum is very easygoing, and my theory was thought out only grasping at the fact of why he couldn't have been included. Cause I see no other reason Slash and Duff would let it happen.

Ah. This thread is about 10000 pages so I will admit I have not read it all.

I don't think it has anything to do with not *liking* Adler, just not trusting him to be a part of the band in a reliable fashion. Duff, Izzy and Slash have all publicly wished him well over the years, and I believe that Matt Sorum has, as well, -- but none of them have wanted to work with him. And as for doing a guest part, I have to believe that he wouldn't settle for that and would push for more. I remember Axl's comment years ago that if Adler even came onstage for one song in NuGNR it would lead to unpleasantness.

I agree that it would be weird for Sorum to be excluded, even with the Adler drama. It's always possible he has been invited, and hasn't tipped his hand.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

I would prefer to see Adler or Sorum involved but I would be happy if Frank or any other GnR drummer filled the seat instead. Just my two cents.

people like you are a disgrace...
Really? And people like you are cockheads. See, we can both be immature, retarded internet warriors. I've followed this band for nearly 30 years, seen them play live 6 times including the old boys, I've met both Adler and Frank, and I play the drums. So I reckon I am qualified to at least have my own opinion? But to you I am a disgrace? Wow....

You know what I just realized? Its the Van Halen "reunion" from 2007 all over again.

There are also similarities with current Sabbath, minus Ward. Were these two 'hybrid' reunions unanimously praised? I know whenever people discuss current Sabbath they always say things like ''a pity Bill isn't there'' - even people who have attended the shows come away with this slight negative feeling. And this is only one member! With gnr we are discussing two members, drummer and rhythm guitars.

Criticism will come their way if they pursue this venture, no matter how 'insignificant' the missing members are deemed. The way to deflect that is to do it properly.

The thing is they are all alive - and possibly sober (touch wood for Adler). The Appetite band and Illusion additions are all sober for the first time ever - probably the one who is drinking the most now is Axl. Hybrid reunions tend to happen when a band member is deceased (Jason Bonham at the 02).

They could pull this of brilliantly if the desire was there.

You know what I just realized? Its the Van Halen "reunion" from 2007 all over again.

I thought about this as well. But that's the thing, yes Michael Anthony is missed to a certain degree, but as soon as you see Eddie and Dave being Eddie and Dave, you don't really miss Anthony much.

I think the same will apply to gnr. Yes not seeing Adler and Izzy most nights will kinda stink. But as soon as you see Axl, Slash, and Duff playing Jungle, most people won't even care. Myself included.

I thought about this as well. But that's the thing, yes Michael Anthony is missed to a certain degree, but as soon as you see Eddie and Dave being Eddie and Dave, you don't really miss Anthony much.

I think the same will apply to gnr. Yes not seeing Adler and Izzy most nights will kinda stink. But as soon as you see Axl, Slash, and Duff playing Jungle, most people won't even care. Myself included.

But that is the point - what I have bolded. There will always be - just a bit - of a sour taste. Stick Sorum in there and you immediately have a better scenario. You would not need to write posts such as that. None of us will.

Edited by DieselDaisy

There are also similarities with current Sabbath, minus Ward. Were these two 'hybrid' reunions unanimously praised?

Van Halen was. Wolfgang is a footnote for most reviewers, and considering how much money they've made since, it hasn't negatively effected them.

There are also similarities with current Sabbath, minus Ward. Were these two 'hybrid' reunions unanimously praised?

Van Halen was. Wolfgang is a footnote for most reviewers, and considering how much money they've made since, it hasn't negatively effected them.

Your second clause reveals it all really.

Rock is dead they say? Ehh, yes, it is dead.

There are also similarities with current Sabbath, minus Ward.

True. And that was even worse cause it literally WAS all of them till they fucked it up. So that was just sheer asshole behavior to tease us.

Although, like KISS, at least at one point Sabbath did have a true reunion. All originals toured in the late 90s. Might not have been great, but at least it happened. And they are at least all kind of friends. Whats most annoying about Van Halen and GNR is the biggest issues were feuding singer and guitarist, and they finally work it out and STILL fuck over fans in some way. Can't think of any other scenario like those two.

It makes sense for Axl in terms of not caving on CD era, Slash and Duff legitimize Fortus and Frank. But it could easily be the OG 5. But the Hybrid is more stable and gives Axl flexibility to release CD 2. In someways it's very smart, very Axl. He found a way to do a reunion without doing a reunion.

How is it called Flexbility if CD 2 will be 80% Robin and 20% or less of Fortus? CD 2 has got nothing to do with any kind of reunion or its members.
Well if Frank, Fortus, Dizzy are still around it does seem easier to justify CD II. Then over here we have Slash and Duff for the tour. Not saying it's not weird. But maybe Fortus is on CD II, snd he's worked on a Slash song. It's not really a reunion in my eyes but promoters/fans will go see it.

Maybe the miracle will happen and the og 5 will happen. Not sure why they won't do that really especially if not putting out CD II.