Best Collections/Compilations/Greatest Hits albums

Len Cnut

I know these are sort of looked down upon by afficianados of THE album, it's generally considered a dilettantes thing isn't it, The Greatest Hits collection. Anyway, Motown 50, bangingest compilation I ever heard, song for song about as good a collection as I can remember ever seeing:

71VOUhOSrVL._SL1500_.jpg

Track Listings
Disc: 1
1. Marvin Gaye - I Heard It Through The Grapevine
2. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Dancing In The Street
3. Stevie Wonder - For Once In My Life
4. The Supremes - Baby Love
5. Four Tops - I Can't Help Myself (Sugar Pie, Honey Bunch)
6. The Velvelettes - Needle In A Haystack
7. The Temptations - Get Ready
8. The Supremes - You Can't Hurry Love
9. The Elgins - Heaven Must Have Sent You
10. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Nowhere To Run
11. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - Jimmy Mack
12. The Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine (Is Weak For You)
13. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - The Tears Of A Clown
14. Jackson 5 - ABC
15. Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston - It Takes Two
16. Mary Wells - My Guy
17. The Contours - Do You Love Me
18. Frank Wilson - Do I Love You (Indeed I Do)
19. R. Dean Taylor - There's A Ghost In My House
20. The Supremes - Stop! In The Name Of Love
21. Jr. Walker & The All Stars - Shotgun
22. Stevie Wonder - Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)
23. Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
24. Diana Ross & Marvin Gaye - You Are Everything
25. Diana Ross - Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Disc: 2
1. The Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone
2. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
3. Commodores - Brick House
4. Edwin Starr - War
5. The Temptations - My Girl
6. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - The Tracks Of My Tears
7. Lionel Richie & Diana Ross - Endless Love
8. Commodores - Easy
9. Diana Ross & The Supremes - Reflections
10. Four Tops - Reach Out, I'll Be There
11. Marvin Gaye - Let's Get It On
12. Jimmy Ruffin - What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted
13. Michael Jackson - Got To Be There
14. Smokey Robinson - Being With You
15. Diana Ross - I'm Still Waiting
16. The Detroit Spinners - It's A Shame
17. The Miracles - Love Machine
18. Lionel Richie - All Night Long (All Night)
19. Diana Ross - Love Hangover
20. Thelma Houston - Don't Leave Me This Way

Disc: 3
1. Commodores - Nightshift
2. Diana Ross - Upside Down
3. Rick James - Super Freak
4. The Temptations - Treat Her Like A Lady
5. Lionel Richie - My Destiny
6. Stevie Wonder - Light My Fire
7. Four Tops - Everybody's Talking
8. Rare Earth - Get Ready
9. Kim Weston & Marvin Gaye - Let's Do It (Let's Fall In Love)
10. Martha Reeves & The Vandellas - I Say A Little Prayer
11. Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - Wichita Lineman
12. Thelma Houston - Jumpin' Jack Flash
13. The Temptations - The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
14. The Supremes - Come Together
15. David Ruffin - Put A Little Love In Your Heart

16. Michael Jackson - You've Got A Friend

Literally every song a classic :)

What are yours?

• Like 1

Behind Closed Doors - The Rarities

The Doors

Moonlight Drive [Version 1]

2:41

Moonlight Drive [Version 2]

2:29 RdioAmazon

Indian Summer [8/19/66 Vocal]

2:37

People Are Strange [False Starts & Dialogue]

1:58

Love Me Two Times [Take 3]

3:19 RdioAmazon

Albinoni's Adagio in G Minor

4:32 RdioAmazon

Not to Touch the Earth [Dialogue]

0:43 RdioAmazon

Not to Touch the Earth [Take 1]

3:59 RdioAmazon

Not to Touch the Earth [Take 2]

4:18 RdioAmazon

Celebration of the Lizard

John Densmore / Ray Manzarek

17:09 Rdio

Who Scared You [Recorded at Elektra Studios, 1969]

3:59

Whiskey, Mystics and Men [Version #1 - Recorded at Elektra Studios, 1970]

2:29 RdioAmazon

Whiskey, Mystics and Men [Version #2]

3:05 RdioAmazon

Push Push

6:06 RdioAmazon

Touch Me [Dialogue]

0:28

Touch Me [Take 3]

3:41

Talking Blues

0:59 RdioAmazon

Roadhouse Blues [11/4/69, Takes 1-3]

8:47

Roadhouse Talking Blues [11/4/69, Take 6]

9:26 RdioAmazon

Carol [11/4/69]

0:56

Roadhouse Talking Blues [11/5/69, Take 1]

4:32

Money Beats Soul [11/5/69]

1:04

Roadhouse Blues [11/5/69, Takes 13-15]

6:21

Peace Frog (False Starts & Dialogue)

2:00 RdioAmazon

The Spy [Version 2]

3:48

Queen of the Highway [Jazz Version]

3:36

The Changeling [Alternate Version]

4:49 RdioAmazon

Love Her Madly [Alternate Version]

3:56 RdioAmazon

Cars Hiss by My Window [Alternate Version]

4:40 RdioAmazon

L.A. Woman [Alternate Version]

8:48 RdioAmazon

The WASP [Texas Radio and the Big Beat] [Alternate Version]

5:34 RdioAmazon

Been Down So Long [Alternate Version]

5:05 RdioAmazon

Riders on the Storm [Alternate Version]

9:07 RdioAmazon

She Smells So Nice

3:23 RdioAmazon

Rock Me

5:55 RdioAmazon

L.A. Woman [Take 1]

7:42 RdioAmazon

Crawling King Snake [Run Through and Studio Chatter]

4:35 RdioAmazon

Love Her Madly [Take 1]

3:38 RdioAmazon

Changeling [Take 9]

5:28 RdioAmazon

The WASP [Texas Radio and the Big Beat] [instrumental]

4:21 RdioAmazon

Orange County Suite

5:45 RdioAmazon

(You Need Meat) Don't Go No Further

3:41 RdioAmazon

Breakn' a Sweat

5:01 RdioAmazon

L.A. Woman [Paul Oakenfold Remix]

4:20

Hello, I Love You [Adam Freeland Fabric Mix]

7:35

Maggie M'Gill [John Densmore/FredWreck Remix]

4:55

You Make Me Real [2Manzarek2 Remix]

3:20

Roadhouse Blues [Crystal Method Remix]

4:57

Hello to the Cities [Live on the Ed Sullivan Show, 1967 and at Cobo Hall, Detroit, 1970]

0:57

Hyacinth House [Demo Recorded at Robbie Krieger's Home Studio, 1969]

2:36

Queen of the Highway [Alternative Version Recorded at Elektra Studios, 1969]

3:33

Hello, I Love You [Demo Recorded at World Pacific Studios, 1965]

The Soft Parade, [Live on PBS Television, New York, 1970]

The Woman Is a Devil

Someday Soon [Live at the Seattle Centre, Seattle, 1970]

Roadhouse Blues [Recorded Live at Madison Square Garden, New York, 1970]

Break on Through [Live at the Isle of Wight Festival, England, 1970]

The End [Recorded Live at Madison Square Garden, New York, 1970]

John Densmore / Ray Manzarek

• Like 1

There are some lavish boxsets which you can not buy for pennies since the industry went tits up. I have Elvis the complete 1950s masters for instance and this,

RGMCD011.jpg

and Little Richard's.

Everything they recorded basically in their heyday. If I had the money I would buy Chuck's complete Chess recordings boxsets.

I also have this,

R-2026171-1259534387.jpeg.jpg

Under a tenner!!!

In the above two series make sure you look for other artists. There is a lot of deals where you can buy somebody's entire discography for absurdly cheap prices.

I bought The Beatles Anthologies when they came out in the 1990s. Only bought Neil's archives individually (and did some cheaky downloading to fill in the gaps): Massey Hall and Fillmore etc. One day I will probably get around to buying the entire thing - same with the Springfield boxset.

Hits albums I only use when I like but cannot be arsed too much with the act. Do you want me to list them? I have The Byrds, Skynard, and this, The Cum of Clapton,

CreamOfClapton.jpg

The only greatest hits albums worth owning are from bands like The Stones and James Brown, who, back in the day only released singles.

You can't be a Stones fan and not own this:

511GFV66GQL._PJautoripBadge,BottomRight,

Stones only releasing singles? They had released six British and eight American albums 1964-67. Don't forget that if you ignore those albums you are missing some key songs. London Sessions is essential though for all of the stand alone singles.

The reason I hate Hits albums is not out of some kind of music snobbery, but out of all the artists and bands I dig, very few of them have hits albums which actually include their best material. Generally speaking, the songs trotted out to radio and shoved down the general publics throats are seldom an artists best work. What Beatles fan would pick Hey Jude or Yellow Submarine over Mother Natures Son or Julia? Everyone knows on here I'm a massive Prince nut, and most of his best known songs are utter dog shit. Stuff like Cream, The Most Beautiful Girl In The World, Raspberry Beret.... it actually pisses me off that there's people out there who think that's what his music sounds like, but unfortunately, most of his best stuff was never released as a single. What radio station is going to play a 10.28sec psychedelic orchestral masterpiece like Crystal Ball? A fucking crime, I know, but that's life.

Anyone with a discerning taste for music will want to dig the album tracks to get to the real gems. There are possibly a few exceptions to this rule, I mean who wants to hear what an Eric Clapton album track sounds like? Not me, that's for sure. But generally speaking, if an artist or a band are worth listening to, I'll get the actual albums.

Edited by Towelie

The only greatest hits albums worth owning are from bands like The Stones and James Brown, who, back in the day only released singles.

Stones only releasing singles? They had released six British and eight American albums 1964-67. Don't forget that if you ignore those albums you are missing some key songs. London Sessions is essential though for all of the stand alone singles.

Most of the really famous early stuff was released as stand alone singles. You won't find stuff like Honky Tonk Woman or Jumpin Jack Flash on any of their albums.

Edited by Towelie

Most of the really famous early stuff was released as stand alone singles. You won't find stuff like Honky Tonk Woman or Jumpin Jack Flash on any of their albums.

By the same logic you will not find Gimmie Shelter on the London Years! And you will not find exceptional songs like You Got the Silver, Salt of the Earth or Love in Vain on any compilation. You are really missing out if you just have the London Years - especially for the fertile 1968-71 period when the Stones produced three LPs that are all considered masterpieces (I can semi understand if you are just using the London Years to cover the 1963-7 period and purchasing Beggars-Sticky Fingers). Also, the London Years features only the ABKCO material and therefore stops in 1971, i.e. no Exile, no Some Girls etc.

Edited by DieselDaisy

By the same logic you will not find Gimmie Shelter on the London Years! And you will not find exceptional songs like You Got the Silver, Salt of the Earth or Love in Vain on any compilation. You are really missing out if you just have the London Years - especially for the fertile 1968-71 period when the Stones produced three LPs that are all considered masterpieces (I can semi understand if you are just using the London Years to cover the 1963-7 period and purchasing Beggars-Sticky Fingers). Also, the London Years features only the ABKCO material and therefore stops in 1971, i.e. no Exile, no Some Girls etc.

I'm not disagreeing with you about needing the albums as well. I'm just saying, The Stones and James Brown are two rare examples of popular major artists who have entire hits compilations consisting of tracks that were only ever previously available as singles.

Anyway, Motown 50, bangingest compilation I ever heard

You sound like one of those chavs you see clubbing on the telly advertising those Ibiza anthem compilations. "It's wicked, bangin' man! Bangin' choons innit eh?" :lol:

I like to think my particular bangin' comes from a more New York negro tradition, mid 90s hip hop, 'yo son, check the fly shit son, check the bangin' sounds that i invent' as opposed to Ibiza clubland etc :lol: Also, its worth bearing in mind i probably, socially speaking, fit the description of what many would consider a chav in this day and age :lol:

• Like 1

I'm not disagreeing with you about needing the albums as well. I'm just saying, The Stones and James Brown are two rare examples of popular major artists who have entire hits compilations consisting of tracks that were only ever previously available as singles.

Yes. The Beatles also: you have to buy the Past Masters, volumes one and two, to get the singles - as well as the Long Tall Sally EP and numerous odds and ends like the German versions and that rare versions of Across the Universe from that comp. (which reminds me I have the original LP of that; it has Rolf on it haha). They also lump together the Magical Mystery Tour EP with Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane - although this was to do with the Americans.

Edited by DieselDaisy

Yes. The Beatles also: you have to buy the Past Masters, volumes one and two, to get the singles - as well as the Long Tall Sally EP and numerous odds and ends like the German versions and that rare versions of Across the Universe from that comp. (which reminds me I have the original LP of that; it has Rolf on it haha). They also lump together the Magical Mystery Tour EP with Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane - although this was to do with the Americans.

Fucking Rolf Harris popped up all over the shop back in the day. You can't listen to the back catalogues of Alice Cooper, Kate Bush or The Beatles without whincing when Rolf comes on. I remember when I saw Kate Bush last year and one of the songs she performed had a spoken word intro by Rolf, which they took out and got someone else to do. It's the elephant shitting in the room. I personally don't see the big deal, unless he was fiddling little girls while he recorded it.

Sort of like how you can't find a Gary Glitter fan for love or money these days. Someone must've been buying the fuckin' albums, he sold a shitload...but no, no one apparently ever liked him :lol:

I think Gary Glitter fans were all middle aged housewives and they've just slipped their Gary Glitter 7" singles into Rod Stewart sleeves and will slip their Rod vinyls into their Phil Collins sleeves when it comes out that Rod was noncing as well.

If you stop playing music because of the artists depravity then you'd be left with Cliff Richard to listen to. Or maybe not even him anymore.

My secondary school teacher, first year, was a gigantic Gary Glitter fan. Mr Love he was called haha (this is true by the way).

I hate it when bands release hits albums and put out two or three new songs on the hits to make the hardcore fans buy it. The Stones have done this twice. There were four new songs on Forty Licks (they were all naff but that is besides the point) and two on Grrr. Neil Young did it with Decade. Jackson went one step further and packaged an entire new album with a hits set (why?). Worse again is the old, sticking studio tracks on live albums cobblers, case in point the Stones' Flashpoint and Kiss Alive II.

Have this on LP,

WorldCov.jpg

1. The Beatles – "Across the Universe" [3:49]
  2. Cilla Black – "What the World Needs Now Is Love" [3:05]
  3. Rolf Harris – "Cuddly Old Koala"
  4. The Hollies – "Wings" [2:57]
  5. Spike Milligan – "Ning Nang Nong" [2:49]
  6. Spike Milligan – "The Python" [1:26]
  7. Bee Gees – "Marley Purt Drive" [4:26]
  8. Lulu – "I'm a Tiger" [2:45]
  9. Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich – "Bend It" [2:29]
  10. Cliff Richard – "In the Country" [2:41]
  11. Bruce Forsyth – "When I See an Elephant Fly"
  12. Harry Secombe – "Land of My Fathers"

My secondary school teacher, first year, was a gigantic Gary Glitter fan. Mr Love he was called haha (this is true by the way).

I hate it when bands release hits albums and put out two or three new songs on the hits to make the hardcore fans buy it. The Stones have done this twice. There were four new songs on Forty Licks (they were all naff but that is besides the point) and two on Grrr. Neil Young did it with Decade. Jackson went one step further and packaged an entire new album with a hits set (why?). Worse again is the old, sticking studio tracks on live albums cobblers, case in point the Stones' Flashpoint and Kiss Alive II.

And then you look on iTunes and the new songs on these compilations are always "Album only", as if you're gonna part £10.99 for a bunch of songs you already own just for one or two new songs. This is why the music industry fucking stinks to high heaven!

The most annoying thing I hate about hits compilations is when they put on the dreaded radio edits in place of the original versions. Butchering up a six minute masterpiece until you're left with some cut and paste hackjob. God, I hate it when they do that.

Edited by Towelie

Some favorites and why -

Ultimate Sinatra - it covers his entire career. He put 1400 singles out and this covers 100 of them. A lot of years of "Capitol Greatest Hits", "Reprise Greatest Hits", "Columbia Greatest Hits" and tons of repackaged hits, but this is the best 'all under one roof" collection that came out this year. There's going to be stuff missing but it's on Spotify, including the cult classic Watertown.

Kate Bush - Whole Story - first album of hers I bought - then I bought the Woman's Work box set.

The Who - Thirty Years of Maximum R&B. Just the way it's laid out and the songs on it, maybe now with deluxe editions it's kind of an obsolete relic.

CCR - Chronicle. Not the full story or all the hits, but usually had that one on road trips.

Joni Mitchell - Hits and Misses, she's made her own compilations, but she did the track order herself on both, and it's for the people who bought Blue because Taylor Swift said it was great, or just know "Big Yellow Taxi". Covers a lot.

Essential Leonard Cohen, Essential Laura Nyro - it's really down to "should I get the 2 CD compilation or should I get the back catalog" with these two. You either will get the back catalog because you want to hear more, or this will satisfy you because you have an idea of what they put out over the years.

Warren Zevon - I'll Sleep When I'm Dead. They're probably going to do a revamped anthology covering his career, but this is a really good one that goes up to the mid 90s.

Queen - Greatest Hits - Doesn't even scratch the surface, but it's one I played a lot over the years, another road trip companion, and usually wound up listening to the back catalog when I got home.

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers - Greatest Hits - road tape, even the "new songs" that sometimes get annoying got played to the end.

Bob Marley and the Wailers - Legend, but the down side is that it's nowhere near a true "greatest hits collection". I prefer "Songs of Freedom". but they'd probably have had to put a 6CD Set out to make an "Ultimate Marley"

Iggy Pop Nude and Rude - It dips the toe in the water and gives you just enough, and it's all good. It makes you want to dive into the back catalog but even though there's gaps in it, covers everything the casual fan would want to hear.

Ramones - Ramonesmania - 30 songs on 1 disc, it stops at late 80s so it's not a complete collection, but definitely a fun one.

Neil Young - Decade. it goes up to the mid 70s, but I'll revisit that one from time to time.

Phil Spector - Back to Mono, wall to wall great songs.

Hitsville 1959-1971 for Motown

James Brown - Star Time for me or 20 All Time Greatest Hits for just about anyone.

Chuck Berry - Great 28. Road tape.

Stevie Wonder - At The Close of a Century.

Johnny Cash - Legend, covers beginning to end, but it's far from comprehensive. If you're just looking for Ring of Fire, Hurt, a few more, this would do.

Bowie - Singles Collection. He put a 3 CD out recently that covers the recent album and works its way backwards and a good companion to the back catalog.

Chicago IX - listened to this one recently, like this one a lot.

Ultimate Bee Gees - even if you have a grudge against disco, the second disc shines through.

Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls for Rock & Roll.

Beach Boys - Selections by Brian Wilson, Sounds of Summer. The song sequencing on both are why I like these over other hits collections.

Best of The Monkees - Pop phenomenon with great songs, even though I hate the theme song.

Essential Jimi Hendrix Vol 1 and 2. Even though it's out of print, it's still the best collection of songs out of any repackages since then. People have wanted this one reissued for years.

Stones - to me Hot Rocks was a great road tape, Hot Rocks and Fazed Cookies a great batch of songs that weren't hits. Yeah you can get the ABKCO singles box set but these 2 are better off listening to separately. The Super Deluxe Grrr (the 5 CD set) is the one you want for career overview and have an incomplete collection, but only if you can find it at a good deal.

Edited by dalsh327
  • Like 1

My favorite by far is Dylan's Tell Tale Signs - non-album tracks, alternative versions of album tracks and live performances (although I could have done without the latter) recorded between 1986 and 2006.

As a concept, I like Pink Floyd's Echoes. A lot of their songs don't have distinct breaks between them, consecutive tracks flow, so they took the essential songs and remixed them so they do the same thing.