Death Magnetic was a great Metallica album.

Towelie

It's one of those rare albums that I listened to when it first came out and thought "meh", but then kept returning to it every so often, and here we are, seven years later and man, I love the fuck out of some of those songs. I even liked the Beyond Magnetic EP, both Hate Train and Hell & Back should've been on the final album, in place of Suicide & Redemption.

Favourites have to be The End Of The Line, The Day That Never Comes and Unforgiven III.

It's one of those rare albums that I listened to when it first came out and thought "meh", but then kept returning to it every so often, and here we are, seven years later and man, I love the fuck out of some of those songs.

I had the exact opposite experience with said record.

• Like 2

I listened to that album nonstop for a while. The only thing I would say is that they just don't know when to end a song before it gets unnecessarily repetitive. Suicide & Redemption for example shouldve ended a good 2 minutes earlier. Same goes with other songs (can't remember which ones) but other work well with the length only because something new is brought them in some way by the end. (again can't remember).

On Beyond Magnetic, I liked the little part in Hate Train where it slows down into a melancholy breakdown ("you took away tomorrow, still I stand). The main riff was cool, but the vocal melody was kinda meh, not bad, but not memorable (except for the breakdown part). The other songs I guess I didn't like too much because I can't remember what they are or how they went

Edited by Mendez

I liked it back then (2008), Unforgiven III, Judas Kiss... Great tracks. Lot of fillers however that ruined everything. Boring mixing. Nevermind Beyond Magnetic and Lord Of Summer was a giant turd, ugh.

Lords Of Summer fucking sucks. That turd took up a slot in the set both times I've seen Metallica.
  • Like 3

It's good. Best album since Black Album. It's got better songs than the fillers on Black Album but none can live up to the singles. And fuck... It was TERRIBLY mixed/mastered/recorded. Those drums sound horrible AGAIN, but this time it's in a different way. And it's all too loud and kinda irritating.

EDIT: Plus, some songs are really good ideas taken a bit too far, too long. Like Judas Kiss, for example. Gets me bored everytime along the way.

Edited by Cosmo

And fuck... It was TERRIBLY mixed/mastered/recorded. Those drums sound horrible AGAIN, but this time it's in a different way. And it's all too loud and kinda irritating.

A lot of friends of mine back then thought the drums sounded great because they sound like Lars, of Metallica of course. Not everyone are aware on mixing.

Edited by Silent Jay

Definitely their best since the Black Album. Would have fit perfectly between AJFA and The Black Album, just like how The System Has Failed would have fit perfectly between Peace Sells and Countdown (not a shot at So Far or Rust). Shame the mixing was way too loud. Same goes for Black Gives Way to Blue. What an album.

I loved the record when it came out and probably listen to it till 2010-11

After that, i discovered that St. Anger is much better if you are high

Nowadays i rarely listen to DM but i listened St. Anger tracks a lot

and yeah, Lords of Summer is a joke, in fact, i think Metallica live shows are a joke performance wise, but you will end up caught by the atmosphere on a Metallica show so at the end of the day it's OK

The only show i truly liked perfomance wise was the Deehan one off gig. Even Lars can play better there and James voice was killer

That being said, i don't think their next record will be anything good, probably the same as DM but with much weaker vocals and weaker song structures with lots of generic shredding (aka Lords of Summer)

Edited by Strange Broue

Wtf was Lulu? That was one of the worst albums by any band, of all time. That shit is unlistenable.

Same as St Anger

St Anger has a few ok songs.. I mean... Cut the title song in half and put some decent drum sounds and there, it's not that bad. Invisible Kid and The Unnamed Feeling too. But Lulu? Lulu has no decent 30seg.
  • Like 1

I loved St Anger the song when it came out. Still do. Drums are atrocious though and almost kill it for me.

Death Magnetic was good but I haven't listened to it, or any Metallica for that matter, in quite some time. I remember That Was Just Your Life being one of my favourite songs when I first heard it for a good while. I had a decent sound system in my car in high school when death magnetic came out. It really depressed me that they mixed the album the way they did and it sounded like shit in my car though.

Edited by Gunner55

Am I the only one who doesn't really get the fuss over The Black Album? Apart from the singles and My Friend Of Misery, it really does very little for me.

no i think the album sucks as well. i think the unforgiven is one of the best songs metallica ever did, other than that i like my friend of misery and the god that failed is also decent, the rest just doesnt do anything for me.

Wtf was Lulu? That was one of the worst albums by any band, of all time. That shit is unlistenable.

Same as St Anger

St Anger has a few ok songs.. I mean... Cut the title song in half and put some decent drum sounds and there, it's not that bad. Invisible Kid and The Unnamed Feeling too. But Lulu? Lulu has no decent 30seg.

I think they are both excrement. St Anger is actually the worst album I have ever heard from a major recording artist. Lulu I only listened to twice, streamed online, and it seemed a close runner-up but I have the nagging feeling Lou Reed aficionados may have liked it, and the album basically received the ire of Metallica's infamously closed-minded white-trash fan base, who were basically reviewing the thing as a ''Metallica album''.

Am I the only one who doesn't really get the fuss over The Black Album? Apart from the singles and My Friend Of Misery, it really does very little for me.

no i think the album sucks as well. i think the unforgiven is one of the best songs metallica ever did, other than that i like my friend of misery and the god that failed is also decent, the rest just doesnt do anything for me.

Not even Whenever I May Roam?

Although i agree that was their commercial breakthrough but that was still a metal album

That being said i ended up liking Load and Reload more and more in the past few years

Same as St Anger

I think they are both excrement. St Anger is actually the worst album I have ever heard from a major recording artist. Lulu I only listened to twice, streamed online, and it seemed a close runner-up but I have the nagging feeling Lou Reed aficionados may have liked it, and the album basically received the ire of Metallica's infamously closed-minded white-trash fan base, who were basically reviewing the thing as a ''Metallica album''.

Nah it's the worst album in this decade so far no matter who is on the bill.... Even Lou Reed was on an all time low point there

Lulu is literally unlistenable... In fact i think Lou Reed sucks ass in the last 20 years and should be retired now from further self embarassment

Edited by Strange Broue