Anyone considered the possibility of Axl releasing CD2 with Slash on board?

I know it's highly unlikely, but just as a hypothetical scenario, imagine a GNR reunion tour coinciding with the release of CD2, do you think it could work? Duff has played CD material live before, so it's not as if all the original guys are morally against playing NuGNR material.

Slash could add his solos and guitar work to the songs Axl already has, and perhaps add two of his own tracks to the mix and then put it out. Granted, it'd be a bit strange, almost like Slash being a guest musician on a GNR album, but perhaps it could be legitimised if Axl included even just two Slash compositions on the record.

I personally think this would be the best of both worlds. Reunionists get to see Slash/Axl/Duff back together again in a live setting, and those of us who have been pining for new music from GNR finally get our wish.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

That's the main reason CD2 isn't in our hands. CD1 was a failure so you have to change the sound of that era by bringing Slash back and re-writing the music. Axl gives him lyrics and melody and Slash does the rest. Throw in some nice base lines from Duff and it's going to be awesome!

And some cowbell!

Edited by IncitingChaos

I don't see it happening, but it's not totally out of the question. I would imagine the material would be welcomed more by people if Slash played on it. One of the biggest issues with CD (for most people) was that the solo's "lacked soul" and that "Slash would have made a better solo".

I'd be open to it, but I don't think Slash would go for that. I' guess that he would play CD material, but would draw the line at being a glorified session musician on a follow that also coincides with a reunion. Why? well, it would be Slash completely going back on the reasons he left.

My biggest issue with the reunion talk is that I really! don't think Axl is going to invite Slash, duff and Co back into the GNR partnership. I can't see Slash being OK with that... seen as he quit the original band because he was no longer going to be an equal to Axl (shit move on Axl's behalf)

I like these hypothetical posts.

It's like arguing on the playground: wouldn't it be awesome if Superman teamed up with The Punisher?

Comic characters and Axl releasing new music are equally fictitious and imaginary. But it's fun to argue on the playground, right?

Yeah I considered it but then I remembered why they got so brutal with one another and then I thought, what's the worst thing Axl could propose, hey Slash come and finish my new guns record, I'll let you play a solo or two or add a riff somewhere, it might have to be considered alongside Fortus, Ashba, Bumblefoot, Buckethead and Finck's stuff though so make sure it's a good riff. It'd be like making Axl sing songs scott weiland wrote, except he can add a line or two or change the pitch slightly in the chorus or whatever lol. If they take husks and concepts of existing songs... I dunno it's a complex one really isn't it.

I'd be fucking for it, if Slash/Duff could contribute or alter like at least 50% of the stuff, and elevate them ya know... otherwise just release like a vault while we're waiting don't ruin the CD stuff by even more bloody tinkering.

i've considered it as a possibility. Maybe it would be seen in the same way as Axl doing a reunion. Slash working on CD era material would be the ultimate compromise. Friends help each other out.

So what we would have is Frank and Fortus parts laid down. Dizzy and Pitman parts done. Duff re-records Tommy's bass parts. Slash re-does the lead guitar parts on the songs. Axl's lyrics and vocals remain the same.

Maybe it would be more of a token gesture on a couple of songs. 2-3 songs where Slash and Duff are involved then they do the "reunion" tour.

• Like 1

They still are in the partnership. Thats why anything to do with Guns' music needs to be signed off by Axl, Slash and Duff. Axl only owns the name.

It's true that they still have a partnership agreement, but when you leave a band you forfeit your position. So, yes they have a say it how the GnR music they created is distributed and used in regards movies, live cd, dvds. All of which they get paid for.

I don't know if they have any say after that, I don't think they do... unless they have some sort of unusual agreement; and I'm guessing they don't.

So, in the case of a reunion of GnR, they would need to be made full members again OR, sign on as contracted musicians. I cannot see a situation where Axl relinquishes his position and invites Slash and Duff and whoever else in. And I can't see a situation where a reunited guns is filled with contracted original members... only way, would be for the money to be split evenly, and even then grumbling would happen.

Look at Bon Jovi, Richie and the rest of the guys weren't full members. They helped write the songs and they got rich with Jon, But Jon is the only one on the record contract; the rest of the guys were basically hired help for a singer songwriter. ANYWAY! to my point, Richie eventually got to a point where he was pissed about the situation and quit.... meaning even with all the money, when you're treated lower on the pecking order you get a bit tetchy.

They still are in the partnership. Thats why anything to do with Guns' music needs to be signed off by Axl, Slash and Duff. Axl only owns the name.

It's true that they still have a partnership agreement, but when you leave a band you forfeit your position. So, yes they have a say it how the GnR music they created is distributed and used in regards movies, live cd, dvds. All of which they get paid for.

I don't know if they have any say after that, I don't think they do... unless they have some sort of unusual agreement; and I'm guessing they don't.

So, in the case of a reunion of GnR, they would need to be made full members again OR, sign on as contracted musicians. I cannot see a situation where Axl relinquishes his position and invites Slash and Duff and whoever else in. And I can't see a situation where a reunited guns is filled with contracted original members... only way, would be for the money to be split evenly, and even then grumbling would happen.

Look at Bon Jovi, Richie and the rest of the guys weren't full members. They helped write the songs and they got rich with Jon, But Jon is the only one on the record contract; the rest of the guys were basically hired help for a singer songwriter. ANYWAY! to my point, Richie eventually got to a point where he was pissed about the situation and quit.... meaning even with all the money, when you're treated lower on the pecking order you get a bit tetchy.

I see what your saying. But i think if Slash and Duff come back it would be as equals. I think Axl is smarter than that and I dont think they would agree otherwise anyways. I could be wrong though.

"IF" there is a reunion CD2 will NEVER see the light of day or any other work during the CD sessions, It's is dead in the water which it may have already been before the reunion talk started. Axl and the label where not on the best of terms.

Another bigger "IF" the reunion lineup puts out a record there maybe a couple of songs from the CD sessions that may make it on the record but they will sound nothing like there current form, they will be stripped down to the sound of the reunion lineup. I could see them reworking a song Axl really likes as can see it being done for songs that Slash and Duff like.

For those that want CD2 in it's planned form from the CD sessions, if it really exists which I really don't think it does in anywhere close to finished material. it ain't going to happen. Sure if it does exists I would like to hear it but I doubt it exists.

Regardless of who plays on the next GN'R record and for how many songs, calling it Chinese Democracy 2 or anything to that effect would be a really bad marketing move since the name ChiDem has such a negative stigma attached to it at this point in the music industry.

With saying that, the best scenario is probably to make a self-titled album with music spanning from all different eras of the band. A little bit of the scrapped 1996 stuff, a little bit of the CD2 Bucket and Finck stuff, and a little bit of new stuff. Not really sure how I feel about the idea of slash and duff re-recording CD2 ballads. It'd probably feel more authentic if they just write some new stuff all together for it. Get them in a room with Axl and maybe Izzy and Steve too for a little bit to write and record just a few songs in vein of Appetite (not really in terms of style, but in terms of songwriting strategy) and stick them at the end to bring it all full circle.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't do a traditional studio album. Make a weird anomaly sorta thing

That might be why Richard might of said this

As Guns N’ Roses continue to write and record new material, vocalist Axl Rose has sent out a bizarre tweet from the studio which is suitable for a horror film. In addition to the tease, guitarist Richard Fortus offered some great insight into the current creative process of Guns N’ Roses’ next album, even suggesting that the band is tapping into some old Slash material for the new disc.
As Fortus says in the video below, Axl Rose is fairly secretive, and that sensibility comes across in the photo below. The picture is obviously taken from a studio and is creepy as hell, perhaps acting as a playful response to an Axl Rose death hoax which circulated online yesterday

During an intimate workshop in Sydney held on Nov. 20, Fortus shared some interesting new info on Guns N’ Roses’ follow-up to ‘Chinese Democracy.’ “A lot of the new stuff that we’ve been working on; some of the stuff come from nothing and some of the stuff is stuff that we’ve been working on that were ideas that were already there. Some of the stuff Slash did — it was the beginning of the seed of the song that’s been around for a while.”
Fortus continues, “There’s so much stuff that’s recorded, there’s so much stuff that was done. I mean, there’s three albums worth of material, easy … Axl is very secretive. He doesn’t want stuff getting out. He wants to create stuff and then release it when it’s ready. He’s also a bit of a perfectionist, as you can imagine.”

http://loudwire.com/guns-n-roses-slash-material-new-album-axl-rose-posts-photo-studio/

Edited by Gibbo 27