The greatest album of all time according to Billboard is by Adele.

Towelie

Sounds like people don't like her just because she's popular, which is a bit of a weird mindset to have. At least, that's what it's sounding like to me. I'm pretty indifferent when it comes to Adele, but the internet is a funny place. If she was a lot less popular and still had that kind of voice, people would start saying, "Why does Taylor Swift sell so many albums, when a great artist like Adele is selling so little?!" That's exactly how it would go. Not trying to say that's the exact mindset here, but when people start bringing up her weight, the arguments lose all merit. So, if you're that upset that she's fatter and more popular than Cyrus, then I'm not sure what to tell you about popular music.

"Why is Bieber selling so many albums, when (random unpopular pop star) is selling so much less?!? AHHH!"

That's what it feels like to me. And let's be honest, "THE GREATEST ALBUMS EVER" lists are redundant and shouldn't even be paid any attention, even if some of the same albums are always included.

I decided to google this Billboard list for the greatest albums ever made.

Adele

The Sound Of Music

Soundtrack

Thriller

Michael Jackson

Fearless

Taylor Swift

Born In The U.S.A.

Bruce Springsteen

Ropin' The Wind

Garth Brooks

Jagged Little Pill

Alanis Morissette

All The Right Reasons

Nickelback

Tapestry

Carole King

Whitney Houston

Whitney Houston

The Fame

Lady Gaga

Whipped Cream & Other Delights

Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass

Come On Over

Shania Twain

Rumours

Fleetwood Mac

Confessions

Usher

Frozen

Soundtrack

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift

Forever Your Girl

Paula Abdul

Some Gave All

Billy Ray Cyrus

Hybrid Theory by Linkin Park is 28 above Dark Side of The Moon.

Appetite for Destruction is 65 just above the Hannah Montanna 2 soundtrack by Miley Cyrus and Justin Biebers My World 2.0.

Led Zeppelin IV is at 194 below multiple Nickleback albums. List is totally legit.

LOL!!!

Man, I can't even begin to take that shit seriously.

I love Adele though. I think all 3 her albums are really good. And imo definitely some of the best that have been released in the past 10 years. Plus I think it's impressive to put out three albums of that quality in a row in this time and age. But best album ever? That's just ridiculous.

Fucks sake people, it's Billboard, it's a SALES list.

These all-time rankings are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 (from its launch on Aug. 4, 1958 through Oct. 10, 2015) and Billboard 200 (from Aug. 17, 1963 — when we combined our two leading pop album album charts for stereo and mono releases into one all-encompassing weekly chart — through Oct. 10, 2015). Titles are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower rungs earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are ranked based on the combined point totals, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 or Billboard 200 chart entries.
  • Like 3

These all-time rankings are based on actual performance on the weekly Billboard Hot 100 (from its launch on Aug. 4, 1958 through Oct. 10, 2015) and Billboard 200 (from Aug. 17, 1963 — when we combined our two leading pop album album charts for stereo and mono releases into one all-encompassing weekly chart — through Oct. 10, 2015). Titles are ranked based on an inverse point system, with weeks at No. 1 earning the greatest value and weeks at lower rungs earning the least. Due to changes in chart methodology over the years, eras are weighted differently to account for chart turnover rates over various periods. Artists are ranked based on the combined point totals, as outlined above, of all their Hot 100 or Billboard 200 chart entries.

That clears up that. I did have a slight premonition when I saw the Sound of Music as I know that was the biggest selling LP of the 1960s yet is a novelty piece of shit, but did not sufficiently research the article.

The ironic thing about all those classic Stones and Dylan albums is that, under sales criteria, they pale in comparison to Billy Ray Cyrus!! It is rather odd really. Appetite moves up a lot closer than upon most lists - people actually prefer Oasis over GN'R. Obviously there are some albums in common such as Thriller and Rumours.

That clears up that. I did have a slight premonition when I saw the Sound of Music as I know that was the biggest selling LP of the 1960s yet is a novelty piece of shit, but did not sufficiently research the article.

The ironic thing about all those classic Stones and Dylan albums is that, under sales criteria, they pale in comparison to Billy Ray Cyrus!! It is rather odd really. Appetite moves up a lot closer than upon most lists - people actually prefer Oasis over GN'R. Obviously there are some albums in common such as Thriller and Rumours.

You must not have a heart to dislike The Sound Of Music. It may not be a badge of honour in terms of coolness, but you can't deny the brilliance of Rogers & Hammerstein.

Altogether now: "High on a hill was a lonely goatherd, Lay ee odl lay ee odl lay hee hoo."

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it either.

Hate her kind of singing and those songs.

This is the shit that gets played on the radio and mtv now.

I wish the radio played more shit Adele. I'll take someone who can belt a tune like her over any typical pop trash any day. The Top 40 rotation at my work is terrible.

On topic, it does blow my mind that her sales are what they are. In this day and age it's unheard of, no matter how good the music is or how appealing it is. She's in a league of her own right now for popularity. Her music isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea but she certainly has some serious selling power.

I don't mind it. I just have different tastes.

I will say that what I like about her music that she doesn't need to be skinny and show off her ass and boobs. Even though she has lost weight and probably could knock a bunch of men dead in flattering outfits, she still doesn't resort to some sex kitten.

I can watch Katy Perry on mute, Adele is nicer on the ears.

I still don't get how this list was made. All the atrocities aside, shouldn't Thriller be number 1 based on sales? That's what confuses me, besides Thriller was the number 1 album for almost an entire year (except for 2 weeks I beleive). I'm not trying to say Thriller is the best album of all time either, but but as far as pop albums go, it's the greatest pop album of all time. I would just like to see what "facts" billboard has that made them out Adele a head of Thriller.

I still don't get how this list was made. All the atrocities aside, shouldn't Thriller be number 1 based on sales? That's what confuses me, besides Thriller was the number 1 album for almost an entire year (except for 2 weeks I beleive). I'm not trying to say Thriller is the best album of all time either, but but as far as pop albums go, it's the greatest pop album of all time. I would just like to see what "facts" billboard has that made them out Adele a head of Thriller.

Didn't that fuckin' album sell like 100 million or something ridiculous like that? Thats gotta be the album of all time, saleswise. There's no way on earth she's out-sold Thriller, no fuckin' way. Just googled, apparently it's 50 to 60 million sold although some estimates number up to 100 mil. You can't fuck with Thriller, Thriller was massive EVERYWHERE, US, UK, Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia. There are people in Asia who are about as culturally unaware as you could possibly imagine but say the name Michael Jackson and they know who you're fuckin' talking about, I'd even put him ahead of The Beatles in that regard of recognisability.

There are people in Asia who are about as culturally unaware as you could possibly imagine but say the name Michael Jackson and they know who you're fuckin' talking about, I'd even put him ahead of The Beatles in that regard of recognisability.

Thanks to MTV you might just be right Len............

As far as the greatest album you should take these lists with a grain of salt as it all opinion really and has little to do with reality IMHO. Same goes with best band lists and greatest guitarist lists. Everyone has their own opinions bsed on their tastes........

I dont think its even MTV so much as the era of the 80s, in the 60s a lot of Asia was still developing so there wasnt as much of a call for western pop music, by the 80s the modern cultures of those countries were flourishing so they were tuning in more.

Also they have a great regard for dance in Asia and Africa and Jackson was a more singular image than four guitar playing scousers, love em though i do.

I will say that what I like about her music that she doesn't need to be skinny and show off her ass and boobs. Even though she has lost weight and probably could knock a bunch of men dead in flattering outfits, she still doesn't resort to some sex kitten.

Katy Perry yell-sings worse than drunk teeny boppers doing karaoke.

Katy Perry yell-sings worse than drunk teeny boppers doing karaoke.

Yeah, that is why I mute her videos.

• Like 1

How can they say of all time when someone in the near future might break her record?

I still don't get it? It's always these pop sad love song singers that get all the press.

Well, you might as well say that the tallest man of all time can't hold that record because someone else might come along and break it. The "all time" is assumed to imply as of yet - any record can be broken. Thriller is the best selling album of all time but theoretically that could be broken (as unlikely as that is).