NOW THAT MAKES NO SENSE = Chris Janson says he was sent, years ago, by publishing company, to write songs with IZZY AND DUFF for Velvet Revolver (?)

ludurigan

This guy CHRIS JANSON says he was sent to LA by his publishing company to write songs with Duff and Izzy for Velvet Revolver (?).

Now that doesnt make any sense at all for 2 reasons.

By all accounts its unheard that Izzy and Duff have ever used outside writers sent by publishing companies to write songs. We all know that they have collaborated with lots of people but by all accounts these people (West Arkeen, Timo Caltia etc) are friends or somebody that they knew, not outside writers sent by publishing or record companies (like some sort of song doctor Desmond Child types)...

And by all accounts when Velvet Revolver actually was called Velvet Revolver Izzy was nowhere in sight. By all accounts he only took part of writing sessions for VR when it was called THE PROJECT, which was WAAAAAY before Scott Weiland joined in...

0b42585a9cd11b289c155b915c5fb1c6.jpg?ito

So, what do you guys think?

FULL INTERVIEW HERE = http://radio.com/2015/11/24/chris-janson-buy-me-a-boat-tim-mcgraw-guns-n-roses/

BELOW THE GNR PART...

Tell me about your rock influences.

Well, here it goes: I started out listening to Guns ’N Roses Appetite for Destruction, as most people did from my generation. I got my first publishing deal when I was 19, one year after I was moved to Nashville, and they asked me who my influences were, and I said Johnny Cash and Guns ’N Roses.

And the publisher I was writing for, I didn’t know this, but they were like, “We publish Velvet Revolver. Have you ever heard of them?” “Yes.”

So I was sent on a plane to Los Angeles and wrote my first five songs with Duff McKagan. And Izzy Stradlin’. I started out writing songs in the rock ’n’ roll world, man.

Izzy left Velvet Revolver before they ever even recorded anything.

Oh, yeah, long time ago.

What was Izzy like?

Awesome. Super cool. Super nice, quiet, just like you would think. He doesn’t say much. But that was a great experience, man. That was really my big intro to professional songwriting.

So what happened to those songs?

They’re in the catalogue. I recorded a couple of them on a record deal for Sony back in 2010, ’09, 2010. Maybe they’ll see the light of day someday. Maybe there’s some collaborations down the road somewhere, I don’t know.

Edited by ludurigan

My big intro into professional songwriting was a session with Izzy Stradlin'? :lol: I feel sorry for you mate! Not slagging off Izzy professionalism or anything, God knows he's probably my favourite Gunner about now but it's sort of like saying your first day off the sauce was an evening with Richard Harris, John Cassavetes and Friar Tuck.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

From what I understand, he was sent there to meet his idols & learn from them, no to write for them. More like an internship.

And the record company had nothing to do with it, it was the publishing company he worked for as a songwriter.

Edited by Chuzeville

From what I understand, he was sent there to meet his idols & learn from them, no to write for them. More like an internship.

And the record company had nothing to do with it, it was the publishing company he worked for as a songwriter.

thanks I have edited the fiirst post

now some sort of internship seems much more plausible.

but one thing is still not clear. when izzy was around there was no velvet revolver. by all accounts it was scott weiland that came up with the velvet revolver name, right? I always understood izzy was gone when scott arrived and I also read that scott rejected 90% of the songs written with izzy because they sounded like GNR.

so what happened? maybe izzy stayed a lot longer? maybe he disappeared and then returned?

that first VR live gig with izzy at the fashion show (when they played angie/mary & you got no right) may be an indication that izzy was there for much longer?

or maybe he is referring to libertad sessions? there are much better songs on libertad and id not be surprised if izzy was involved with the writing of some of them

Edited by ludurigan

My big intro into professional songwriting was a session with Izzy Stradlin'? :lol: I feel sorry for you mate! Not slagging off Izzy professionalism or anything, God knows he's probably my favourite Gunner about now but it's sort of like saying your first day off the sauce was an evening with Richard Harris, John Cassavetes and Friar Tuck.

Len, I laughed so much at this! Thanks, because I've not seen anyone all day and I'm getting a bit miserable. You cheered me right up there!

Len, I laughed so much at this! Thanks, because I've not seen anyone all day and I'm getting a bit miserable. You cheered me right up there!

I do impersonations too! Would you like to see Churchill looking startled? You'll have to buy me a few drinks and some tippex but i promise you it's hilairious :lol:

• Like 1

No Oliver Reed? Surprised.

No Oliver Reed? Surprised.

Thought it'd be repetitive of me :lol:

• Like 1

I think you guys overanalyze this. Izzy and Duff are playing and writing together almost all the time. So maybe it was just an idea - let's try something new, maybe it's gonna end on the next VR record, maybe we're gonna use it for something else. I think the other guys consider Izzy being a part of the family and a writing partner no matter he's a member of a band or not.

• Like 1

I think you guys overanalyze this. Izzy and Duff are playing and writing together almost all the time. So maybe it was just an idea - let's try something new, maybe it's gonna end on the next VR record, maybe we're gonna use it for something else. I think the other guys consider Izzy being a part of the family and a writing partner no matter he's a member of a band or not.

duff has played bass on many of Izzys albums but i understand that izzy calls Duff to play bass AFTER he already wrote the songs. I dont think Duff has any writing credit on ANYTHING released by Izzy in his albums.

i know that izzy helped duff write a song or two for beautiful disease and maybe for something else (pre-loaded). then izzy helped duff to write his last ep howe to be a man

i also know that izzy wrote stuff with duff slash and matt pre-velvet revolver

i kinda remember also slash mentioning that at some point izzy, duff, slash and matt wrote 10-12 songs that he described as the best GNR instrumental album

I am always a bit confused if that "album" was written on the pre-VR sessions or a bit before that. I used to know this kind of thing we were always discussing this on the beenafix forum and some of you guys had a great knowledge on that and a much more accurate timeline of izzy collaborations with duff and slash over the years

sorry i cant be too specific cause my memory got confused

these CHRIS JANSON sessions are completely new to me, I had never heard anything about them before

and like diesel said, they make no sense Chronologically considering the timeline that we know about

now, other than these sessions mentioned above, do you know any other thing that duff and izzy have done together on the last 20 years?

duff has played bass on many of Izzys albums but i understand that izzy calls Duff to play bass AFTER he already wrote the songs. I dont think Duff has any writing credit on ANYTHING released by Izzy in his albums.

i know that izzy helped duff write a song or two for beautiful disease and maybe for something else (pre-loaded). then izzy helped duff to write his last ep howe to be a man

i kinda remember also slash mentioning that at some point izzy, duff, slash and matt wrote 10-12 songs that he described as the best GNR instrumental album

I am always a bit confused if that "album" was written on the pre-VR sessions or a bit before that. I used to know this kind of thing we were always discussing this on the beenafix forum and some of you guys had a great knowledge on that and a much more accurate timeline of izzy collaborations with duff and slash over the years

these CHRIS JANSON sessions are completely new to me, I had never heard anything about them before

and like diesel said, they make no sense Chronologically considering the timeline that we know about

now, other than these sessions mentioned above, do you know any other thing that duff and izzy have done together on the last 20 years?

That best GNR album you're talking about was VR pre Scott.

There was even a time when Izzy, Slash and Duff were working on some songs, maybe an Izzy album that never find the light of day, in '98, '99 ... maybe a little bit later.

There was even a time when Izzy, Slash and Duff were working on some songs, maybe an Izzy album that never find the light of day, in '98, '99 ... maybe a little bit later.

thanks... hopefully they will release or leak or share or give or sell or trade these songs at some point... i can not understand how is it possible that there is such a great album lost somewhere...

thanks... hopefully they will release or leak or share or give or sell or trade these songs at some point... i can not understand how is it possible that there is such a great album lost somewhere...

I think we heard parts of it on Contraband and on Izzy's Like A Dog.

yea but it would sound completely different it it were izzy, slash and duff playing...

yea but it would sound completely different it it were izzy, slash and duff playing...

Totally agree!

''Maybe''

I'm not questioning this guy's credibility but if someone says I wrote x amount on this particular date as an outsider songwriter (and we know Velvet Revolver did not resort to outside songwriters) I'm going to ponder on the thing?