Anyone have a link to that website that collects comments from GNR members about their songs?

That would be interesting :)

Are there any comments at all from Axl on songs from CD?

CD- Axl said was inspired from a movie he was watching. He gives more detail at the HOB 2001 show.

Shacklers- about a school shooting either at columbine or Virginia tech.

Better- I don't think he said anything but kinda explains itself.

SOD- was about sunset Blvd I believe and the ups and downs of doing what you love

If the world- I think Axl said it was their Jamed Bond song but not much else

TWAT- Stephenie Seymour song....kinda personal

Catcher- John Lennon's death

Scraped- idk much about

Riad- Erin's family or brother in law

Sorry- I thought Axl said it was about one of their managers from the old days. He specifically said its not about Slash

IRS- being cheated on or lied to

Madagascar- I don't think it's been said but Axl said it was in line with a book he was reading but many think it's about Axl being abandoned by the old band and being separated or free'd depending on how you look at it. Since Madagascar is a piece of land that separated from the continent of Africa

This I Love- an old song probably written about Erin

Prostitute- I don't think he said anything here but it's kinda self explanatory

Just off the top of my head so add some real quotes if you wish.

That would be interesting :)

Are there any comments at all from Axl on songs from CD?

Shacklers- about a school shooting either at columbine or Virginia tech.

Yes, it was Virginia Tech. Probably the last song written before the album came out since that happened in 2007 and at least half of the other songs had vocal tracks from the late '90s/early 2000s.

Ok bring serious here: just when did Axl do any real work on ChiDem? I'd like to guess the Album was completed in 1999, with little to no additional songwriting occurring after then.

1999, 2001, 2004, and 2007. It's not like he worked non stop on it. A majority of the work was completed before 2001, he just did actual work every so often. The album was truly not set until 6 months before release. I believe Atlas Shrugged was suppose to be on the album except it would have gone over the minute count for the album so they saved it for the next record and replaced it with a shorter song, presumably This I Love which Axl never wanted to release, but Tommy insisted.

I guess the last song written was Better and not Shacklers.

Yeah there was a shit load of re recording done later on, but one of the early demo's of shacklers would have been 2002 or before.

I guess better was written in 2004 or so.

I would kill for Axl to come back and talk about the album in depth. He said he would say what each song meant after everyone got a chance to hear it and create their own meaning, but he never came back haha

And on the Shackler's thing people have differing views on if it was about columbine or Virgina Tech. I always felt the time period was right for columbine but most are convinced it's Virgina tech

Edited by IncitingChaos

Didn't know shacklers was about a school shooting... Had to have been older though because isn't that Buckethead playing the solo?

The music was done before. Axl didn't write the lyrics then sing them until 2007, because they're about a shooting that happened in 2007.

Didn't know shacklers was about a school shooting... Had to have been older though because isn't that Buckethead playing the solo?

The music was done before. Axl didn't write the lyrics then sing them until 2007, because they're about a shooting that happened in 2007.

I never heard of this thing before on Shacklers, any link or so where Axl mentions it?

Interesting. So would it be logical to assume that shacklers was supposed to be a different song? Like already recorded but with different lyrics..

Ok I found it in the old chats where Axl mentions Shacklers

Monkeychow: Axl - could you pklease talk at all about what inspired the lyrics to Shackler's Revenge and/or Catcher? Or the meaning behind Riad? thanks.

Axl: Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail.
That said, listening for my own enjoyment or if we were to make a video or performing it I lean more to the entertainment of a horror flick or something like Dexter, something with an interesting menacing character as opposed to real life.

• Like 1

Someone here introduced me to the site but I lost the link. It's a website that collects all sorts of comments GNR members have made about their songs

Perhaps my site: http://www.a-4-d.com/

I was reading the one about Better and it was interesting how Fortus said the whole record was written when he joined the band in '01. I always thought Axl had spent the majority of the early 2000s writing the record

Edited by Gibson_Guy87

Ok I found it in the old chats where Axl mentions Shacklers

Monkeychow: Axl - could you pklease talk at all about what inspired the lyrics to Shackler's Revenge and/or Catcher? Or the meaning behind Riad? thanks.

Axl: Shackler's was inspired by the insanity of senseless school shootings and also the media trying desperately to make more out of one shooter's preference for the Guns song Brownstone to no avail.

That said, listening for my own enjoyment or if we were to make a video or performing it I lean more to the entertainment of a horror flick or something like Dexter, something with an interesting menacing character as opposed to real life.

Yeah, and if you don't remember, it was the Virginia Tech shooter that was obsessed with Mr. Brownstone.

I know the site your talking about it was gnrinfo.tk but that site has since disappeared. It has tons of quotes from each member about every song ever released including some demos too. Super awesome site I miss it

Yeah that was it. Too bad it's gone

Someone here introduced me to the site but I lost the link. It's a website that collects all sorts of comments GNR members have made about their songs

Perhaps my site: http://www.a-4-d.com/

I don't think it was this site, but thanks for the link. I'm gonna check out the info here.

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma