The Blues Thread

Georgy Zhukov

Imagine if we get a video of Johnson? That would be the Holy Grail of the Blues.

I don't think one exists. That would have been so cool. At least the music found an audience and influenced many musicians. (this does NOT sound like the original, but it's cool, you can hear the love for the music and that's what counts, it might be timeless)

Edited by Rovim

Imagine if we get a video of Johnson? That would be the Holy Grail of the Blues.

I remembe they found this old video thats lots were saying was him.

It wasn't him.

Considering there are only 3 known photos of Johnson and only a handful of recording sessions I would be shocked if they ever found any video of him.

In case some have never seen them there is a collection of 4 DVD's from the European American Folk Blues Festival from the early 60's that is just brilliant.

It was released in conjunction with Experience Hendrix and it features rare videos of many of old blues musicians we are discussing here.

If you love the blues these are a must for your collections........

http://www.amazon.com/American-Folk-Blues-Festival-British-1963-1966/dp/B000OPP7LS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1450896101&sr=8-1&keywords=American+Folk+Festival

I have to give props to the British and European promoters for recognizing the brilliance of the old American blues players and treating them with proper respect and appreciation they did not get from their own country...........

Edited by classicrawker

I fuckin am after hearing that, who is that guy?!?

He's just a Jimi poser. Sounds too much like him, didn't bring his own unique voice imo. Like... John Frusciante for example: he's a Jimi follower, but also something else.

Gary is a good guitar player with a lot of feel. It's retro though. To the point I'd rather listen to Jimi, but that's just me. I like Gary. Unfortunately, there is no true depth there. This post turned hipster on me.

Edited by Rovim

I fuckin am after hearing that, who is that guy?!?

He's just a Jimi poser. Sounds too much like him, didn't bring his own unique voice imo. Like... John Frusciante for example: he's a Jimi follower, but also something else.

Gary is a good guitar player with a lot of feel. It's retro though. To the point I'd rather listen to Jimi, but that's just me. I like Gary though. Unfortunately, there is no true depth there. This post turned hipster on me.

On the weight of that vid he's getting his day in court with me :)

• 3 weeks later...

North Mississippi Allstars...............Can't believe I forgot these guys.....the band has Luther Dickinson on guitar and his brother playing drums. Luther played briefly with the Black Crowes and his Father Jim played piano on the Stones Wild Horses during the Muscle Shoals sessions in 1969 right before they flew out for the Altamont Concert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Dickinson

The man plays a mean blues slide.......

Edited by classicrawker

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Been listening to a lot of Jimmy Reed lately.  He always seems to sound pissed when he's singing, which I'm led to believe he almost always was, which begs the question if he's that fucked that it slurs his voice so much, how the fuck does he manage to play the guitar like he does?  I mean he's quite sloppy in general but like, slur your voice pissed should put you far beyond the ability to play a guitar.  

Then again, Keith Richards eh?  If what I'm led to believe about Keith is true he must have some bastard constitution, pranged out on heroin before gigs, he'd snap out of it to get onstage and then be swigging from a massive bottle of Jack by or behind the amp, he must've been absolutely muntered.  Then again, bang out a couple of lines of charlie and it'll liven you up double quick.  It's sort of a chemical balancing act i suppose.

Hank Williams was another one, he'd get pissed, get into a bar fight, get to the hotel, shag the bird he was with, belt her one in the mouth then off to the Oprey to give the performance of his life :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, Len B'stard said:

Hank Williams was another one, he'd get pissed, get into a bar fight, get to the hotel, shag the bird he was with, belt her one in the mouth then off to the Oprey to give the performance of his life :lol:

That was him too, he was real as it gets. One of my heroes. One thing that gets overlooked with Sr is his songwriting. His voice and his performances are what he's known for, and rightly so, but some of his writing was borderline poetry.

I could go on all night about my man. "lot of folks request this for other folks, nobody hardly ever request it for theirselves"

He fucks up the beginning twice ( idk they both sound good to me :) ) then the third time he just takes off

Edited by J Dog
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, J Dog said:

That was him too, he was real as it gets. One of my heroes. One thing that gets overlooked with Sr is his songwriting. His voice and his performances are what he's known for, and rightly so, but some of his writing was borderline poetry.

I could go on all night about my man. "lot of folks request this for other folks, nobody hardly ever request it for theirselves"

He fucks up the beginning twice ( idk they both sound good to me :) ) then the third time he just takes off

It werent even borderline, it was flat out poetry!  Yknow whats weird? I bought his album just based on looking at the cover.  Im in the country section thinkin 'i want some authentic country' n just his picture on the album made me think 'yes!'  I remember tons of it was live at the Grand Ole Oprey and this crowds would be screaming their fuckin' tits off, it was majestic!  

Edited by Len B'stard

Just now, Len B'stard said:

It werent even borderline, it was flat out poetry!  Yknow whats weird? I bought his album just based on looking at the cover.  Im in the country section thinkin 'i want some authentic country' n just his picture on the album made me think 'yes!'  I remember tons of it was live at the Grand Ole Oprey and this crowds would be screaming their fuckin' tits off, it was majestic!  

Oh he's got a great look about him. I'd kill to have that coat he wore sometimes, the white one with the music notes on it. They say he was just electric live. I can imagine, his skinny, drunk looking ass, then that voice. I think getting kicked out the Opry fucked with him more than he let on too. Hank Jr said one time that his mama told him that it just hurt his feelings when they did that. He didn't deserve it I don't think. He had a problem and it got the best of him. That shit happens to the best of people.

I don't know when exatcly the term rock or rockin' came around, but this is from like late 40s or early 50s and he's talking about he's gonna rock and rock on down the line. He was a music man.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, username said:

Got tickets for Buddy Guy in July and Walter Trout in November. Two more blues legends to cross off. ^_^ 

I'll never forget the show he did here where he went into the audience playing this long extended solo and ended up sitting in the seat right behind mine just ripping on the guitar.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, moreblack said:

I'll never forget the show he did here where he went into the audience playing this long extended solo and ended up sitting in the seat right behind mine just ripping on the guitar.

Buddy or Trout?