BREAKING: Scott Weiland dead

KeyserSoze

Watched a lot of clips and bought Blaster since i heard of his passing. I never knew he was in such a bad way, most (not all) of his interviews in the last year hes completely trashed.

Im loving his Bowie cover of 'The jean Genie'. Theres a studio version on Amazon.

Edited by Axl_morris

As more time passes, the more of a piece of shit I feel like for not dishing out the $40 and seeing Scott 2 weeks ago at the Orange Peel in Asheville, NC. I didn't go because it was on a Sunday night and I thought it would be a depressing train wreck. According to my buddy who worked sound, it was exactly that. But at least I would have that as opposed to have seeing him 10 years ago.

I got a bit emotional listening to Blue Eyes off Blaster. It's too early to listen to his music.

Any time someone close to me dies, I can't help but torture myself and indulge in every moment and memory with them. Pictures, stories, old text/Facebook convos, with Scott I'm torturing myself through music. I keep leaning toward his solo stuff as I kind of feel that is the most "him." It's cliche to say that an artists true self is in their solo stuff but with Scott, shit, the difference between 12 bar blues and any STP or Happy in Golashes and VR is insane. This is the first time in my adult life that someone I admired, at least musically and rooted for to get better as a human, had passed. My family grew up on Baltimore, and my Dad cried when Johnny Unitas, legendary Baltimore Colts NFL quarterback died. I didn't really get it until now, how someone you didn't know could have such a profound influence on your life. It's hard to fathom Scott is gone.

• Like 1

Scott Weiland’s Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy'

A letter from late singer’s ex-wife, Mary Weiland, on behalf of his two children

Mary Forsberg Weiland is the mother of the late singer Scott Weiland's teenage children, Noah, 15, and Lucy, 13. She wrote this with their help in the days after his death on Dec 3rd.

December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again – because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, "How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he'd been drug-free for years!" In reality, what you didn't want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn't remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood. I've always wanted to share more than anyone was comfortable with. When writing a book years ago, it pained me to sometimes gloss over so much grief and struggle, but I did what I thought was best for Noah and Lucy. I knew they would one day see and feel everything that I'd been trying to shield them from, and that they'd eventually be brave enough to say, "That mess was our father. We loved him, but a deep-rooted mix of love and disappointment made up the majority of our relationship with him."

Even after Scott and I split up, I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah's talent show, or Lucy's musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them. Spending so many years immersed in Scott's multiple illnesses led to my own depression; at one point, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I feared the same would happen to the children. There were times that Child Protective Services did not allow him to to be alone with them.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer – or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us – the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it – use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207

Edited by Funky.Monkey
  • Like 2

Scott Weilands Family: 'Don't Glorify This Tragedy'

A letter from late singers ex-wife, Mary Weiland, on behalf of his two children

Mary Forsberg Weiland is the mother of the late singer Scott Weiland's teenage children, Noah, 15, and Lucy, 13. She wrote this with their help in the days after his death on Dec 3rd.

December 3rd, 2015 is not the day Scott Weiland died. It is the official day the public will use to mourn him, and it was the last day he could be propped up in front of a microphone for the financial benefit or enjoyment of others. The outpouring of condolences and prayers offered to our children, Noah and Lucy, has been overwhelming, appreciated and even comforting. But the truth is, like so many other kids, they lost their father years ago. What they truly lost on December 3rd was hope.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

Many of these artists have children. Children with tears in their eyes, experiencing panic because their cries go unheard. You might ask, "How were we to know? We read that he loved spending time with his children and that he'd been drug-free for years!" In reality, what you didn't want to acknowledge was a paranoid man who couldn't remember his own lyrics and who was only photographed with his children a handful of times in 15 years of fatherhood. I've always wanted to share more than anyone was comfortable with. When writing a book years ago, it pained me to sometimes gloss over so much grief and struggle, but I did what I thought was best for Noah and Lucy. I knew they would one day see and feel everything that I'd been trying to shield them from, and that they'd eventually be brave enough to say, "That mess was our father. We loved him, but a deep-rooted mix of love and disappointment made up the majority of our relationship with him."

Even after Scott and I split up, I spent countless hours trying to calm his paranoid fits, pushing him into the shower and filling him with coffee, just so that I could drop him into the audience at Noah's talent show, or Lucy's musical. Those short encounters were my attempts at giving the kids a feeling of normalcy with their dad. But anything longer would often turn into something scary and uncomfortable for them. Spending so many years immersed in Scott's multiple illnesses led to my own depression; at one point, I was misdiagnosed as bipolar. I feared the same would happen to the children. There were times that Child Protective Services did not allow him to to be alone with them.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207

Certainly offers some perspective.

We don't want to downplay Scott's amazing talent, presence or his ability to light up any stage with brilliant electricity. So many people have been gracious enough to praise his gift. The music is here to stay. But at some point, someone needs to step up and point out that yes, this will happen again because as a society we almost encourage it. We read awful show reviews, watch videos of artists falling down, unable to recall their lyrics streaming on a teleprompter just a few feet away. And then we click "add to cart" because what actually belongs in a hospital is now considered art.

When Scott did move on to another relationship, I hoped it would inspire him to grow. I had often encouraged him to date a "normal" girl, a woman who was also a mother, someone who had the energy that I no longer had to love him. Instead, when he remarried, the children were replaced. They were not invited to his wedding; child support checks often never arrived. Our once sweet Catholic boy refused to watch the kids participate in Christmas Eve plays because he was now an atheist. They have never set foot into his house, and they can't remember the last time they saw him on a Father's Day. I don't share this with you to cast judgment, I do so because you most likely know at least one child in the same shoes. If you do, please acknowledge them and their experience. Offer to accompany them to the father-daughter dance, or teach them to throw a football. Even the bravest girl or boy will refrain from asking for something like that; they may be ashamed, or not want to inconvenience you. Just offer or even insist if you have to.

This is the final step in our long goodbye to Scott. Even though I felt we had no other choice, maybe we never should have let him go. Or maybe these last few years of separation were his parting gift to us the only way he could think to soften what he knew would one day crush us deep into our souls. Over the last few years, I could hear his sadness and confusion when he'd call me late into the night, often crying about his inability to separate himself from negative people and bad choices. I won't say he can rest now, or that he's in a better place. He belongs with his children barbecuing in the backyard and waiting for a Notre Dame game to come on. We are angry and sad about this loss, but we are most devastated that he chose to give up.

Noah and Lucy never sought perfection from their dad. They just kept hoping for a little effort. If you're a parent not giving your best effort, all anyone asks is that you try just a little harder and don't give up. Progress, not perfection, is what your children are praying for. Our hope for Scott has died, but there is still hope for others. Let's choose to make this first time we don't glorify this tragedy with talk of rock and roll and the demons that, by the way, don't have to come with it. Skip the depressing T-shirt with 1967-2015 on it use the money to take a kid to a ballgame or out for ice cream.

Or just one side of a story.

Lol. Now people are going to start acting like Scott was a saint.....because he was a great singer. Smh.

I knew people lost their minds with worshipping Axl, Justin Bieber and Michael Jackson. Didn't know it would apply to Scott as well. Funny.

You know, should could have said some nice things. She was straight up negative there. Kind of pisses me off.

Just because somebody dies it doesn't change their past or their history.

Fans tend to put their idols on a pedestal. They aren't all perfect or nice guys in real life. If he was a bad husband, and didn't visit his kids or pay his child support - then she is perfectly justified to share her opinion. Dying doesn't erase mistakes and make people a saint.

People in here love that Axl speaks his mind. But get mad when others do it.

• Like 3

Lol. Now people are going to start acting like Scott was a saint.....because he was a great singer. Smh.

I knew people lost their minds with worshipping Axl, Justin Bieber and Michael Jackson. Didn't know it would apply to Scott as well. Funny.

You know, should could have said some nice things. She was straight up negative there. Kind of pisses me off.

Just because somebody dies it doesn't change their past or their history.

Fans tend to put their idols on a pedestal. They aren't all perfect or nice guys in real life. If he was a bad husband, and didn't visit his kids or pay his child support - then she is perfectly justified to share her opinion. Dying doesn't erase mistakes and make people a saint.

People in here love that Axl speaks his mind. But get mad when others do it.

Nobody said he was a saint. But her letter makes his addiction seem more serious than what we've known already. And not to sound selfish, but his personal life matter nothing to me. I mourn and glorify the person that has created music that meant a lot to me and my life.

Edited by Carne_asaDA
  • Like 1

Oof, she really laid the smackdown.

Seriously, I get it from both sides. Just because he died we shouldn't make him a saint, but also he made great music and that is what should be honored right now. Its not like anyone is saying he would have walked in front of a bus for a child. We're talking about what he gave to fans, and not his personal life.

Definitely not really the appropriate thing right now but she has the right. Don't beat a dead horse, quite literally. If you're upset by the amount of love he's receiving that you don't think he deserves... well, I'd just say toughen up and accept it. Thats what's gonna happen right now.

She was a bitch. Didn't say one fucking nice thing. Made him sound like a horrible person. How is that fair to her children? Kind of selfish to make this about her.

She actually sounds jealous so she needs to lets know that really he was a piece of shit. Didn't looks like she refused his money he made while being high as a kite. I am fine with her speaking the ugly truth, but don't trash the guy and not say one fucking nice thing.

If he was paying 50K out to her, it might have made him bitter towards her to not want to see the kids. Think back to when Charlie Sheen was self destructive and how pissed he was towards Denise Richards. That really takes a lot out of you. At the same time, if she's the one having to drag him to try to fulfill his obligations as a dad and couldn't do it, it was something she dealt with for years. She dealt with this when he was joining VR, but she was also vindictive.

I get why she wrote it, but it's barely a week since it happened and could have waited a bit.

Nobody was claiming Scott was a perfect human being. But I think it was inappropriate for Mary to make all of these negative, vindictive comments so soon after his death. Is this how she wants her children to remember their father? Wouldn't it be better for his kids to see the love and admiration millions of fans had for him and his music around the world - and how he touched their lives with his music?

I understand that she went through a lot with Scott and his addictions - and she even cashed in on it by writing a book about it a few years ago. But I don't see the purpose of dragging all of this out now - when his body is barely cold. Is this the legacy she wants her children to see?

Nobody is perfect - we all make mistakes and have problems - including Mary. But how many of us would want an ex-partner reminding the world of our mistakes after we've passed? Just doesn't seem right.

Edited by madison

I kind of get where she was coming from with that letter. Good musicians with talent can be shitty parents and overall human beings -- and one doesn't negate the other. All too often when someone dies they get whitewashed or put forward as a hero, and it sounds like that is what she's trying to avoid.

• Like 1

We left this thread remain in the GNR D&N section for a few days out of respect for Scott's associations with GNR history.

Scott was a tremendous performer and was part of the soundtrack for many of our lives.

However, we feel time has come to move this conversation to My World and return the D&N section solely focused on GNR-related discussion.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I remember hearing Contraband for the first time and liking every song. I've noticed he couldn't do the screams or reach those high notes that serve Slash so well, but everything sounded real as shit. Sucker Train Blues is great. Scott employing the siren on his megaphone so well, fucked up lyrics and a solo from hell by Slash with the bc rich I suspect.

All the animals are dead.

Edited by Rovim

Nobody was claiming Scott was a perfect human being. But I think it was inappropriate for Mary to make all of these negative, vindictive comments so soon after his death. Is this how she wants her children to remember their father? Wouldn't it be better for his kids to see the love and admiration millions of fans had for him and his music around the world - and how he touched their lives with his music?

I understand that she went through a lot with Scott and his addictions - and she even cashed in on it by writing a book about it a few years ago. But I don't see the purpose of dragging all of this out now - when his body is barely cold. Is this the legacy she wants her children to see?

Nobody is perfect - we all make mistakes and have problems - including Mary. But how many of us would want an ex-partner reminding the world of our mistakes after we've passed? Just doesn't seem right.

But at the same time, I feel like she is highlighting how un-glorious drug abuse is. How devastating it is for the people in the life of a drug addict. How these people need help and support, not attention and ridicule from the mainstream media and the circus that can be the music industry which is focused on paying attention to trainwrecks in an entertainment kind of way.

Is Mary's story ugly? Yes. But drug addiction is ugly. Not being a good father to your own children is ugly. And any cautionary tale that may bring awareness to people to make sure to give help or to give more beneficial attention to said drug addict is a positive thing in my option.

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1