BREAKING: Scott Weiland dead

KeyserSoze

Nobody was claiming Scott was a perfect human being. But I think it was inappropriate for Mary to make all of these negative, vindictive comments so soon after his death. Is this how she wants her children to remember their father? Wouldn't it be better for his kids to see the love and admiration millions of fans had for him and his music around the world - and how he touched their lives with his music?

I understand that she went through a lot with Scott and his addictions - and she even cashed in on it by writing a book about it a few years ago. But I don't see the purpose of dragging all of this out now - when his body is barely cold. Is this the legacy she wants her children to see?

Nobody is perfect - we all make mistakes and have problems - including Mary. But how many of us would want an ex-partner reminding the world of our mistakes after we've passed? Just doesn't seem right.

But at the same time, I feel like she is highlighting how un-glorious drug abuse is. How devastating it is for the people in the life of a drug addict. How these people need help and support, not attention and ridicule from the mainstream media and the circus that can be the music industry which is focused on paying attention to trainwrecks in an entertainment kind of way.

Is Mary's story ugly? Yes. But drug addiction is ugly. Not being a good father to your own children is ugly. And any cautionary tale that may bring awareness to people to make sure to give help or to give more beneficial attention to said drug addict is a positive thing in my option.

Great post

But at the same time, I feel like she is highlighting how un-glorious drug abuse is. How devastating it is for the people in the life of a drug addict. How these people need help and support, not attention and ridicule from the mainstream media and the circus that can be the music industry which is focused on paying attention to trainwrecks in an entertainment kind of way.

Is Mary's story ugly? Yes. But drug addiction is ugly. Not being a good father to your own children is ugly. And any cautionary tale that may bring awareness to people to make sure to give help or to give more beneficial attention to said drug addict is a positive thing in my option.

This is exactly what Mary was saying.

The man had kids and he put the drugs and the craziness ahead of them - and her.

Is she bitter?

Of course.

Scott committed suicide over a decade, he didn't die by some tragic accident.

Most people who are left behind by those that choose this path are angry.

I think none of us should judge - that's a woman and two kids in hell right there.

Great post.

I keep seeing people bringing up that Mary was raking Scott for $20k in alimony a month, on top of $60k child support payments. Any truth to that? Cause I could see that driving a man in poor health to his death pretty easily, and it would make that letter of her's a little disgusting, honestly.

It would be a guess on my part that the 20K/60K would have been annually, not every month. Scott didn't seem to earn enough money that a judge would have had him on the hook for nearly a million dollars a year.

Assuming they get that annually: the child support is figured to support what the children need -- if they go to certain schools, have activities, need health care, etc. 20K/year works out to about $1667 a month, which works out to $833 per child. Considering that health premiums can be $500 - $900/month sometimes, a lot of kids of public figures need extra security measures (such as going to a private school to avoid media scrutiny, and those can easily cost $10K or more per year), and there's food, clothing, transportation, etc. etc., $833/month seems reasonable.

Alimony usually doesn't last forever. It doesn't seem that Weiland and Mary were married very long and they do take that into account. And while it seems unfair, the spouse receiving alimony has often left the workplace (by agreement of her husband) to care for the kids, help with his career, etc. The alimony these days usually only goes for a few years to give the spouse time to re-enter the workforce.

Looks like many of us here have been there.

I've been through this, having been the first relative in 7 years through the door to my uncle's corpse after he shut himself away in the original family home to drink Jameson full time.

He refused all help and visits.

We remembered the good guy that was but we were all fucked off with him for drinking the insurance policy on the house and leaving my Dad & I the bill to bury him, clean out the family home which was destroyed...blood and shit on some of the walls, bottles every where, collapsed roof, garden with years of all sorts of shit in it.

It took weeks and cost us thousands.

If my uncle was a famous musician and people were talking about how he died because he was "too sensitive" I'd have been pretty quck to point out the damage and hassle this "sensitive" person caused those around him who did nothing wrong except be related to him.

Mary is doing the same here and to me that appears justified, especially if her kids support the letter.

BUT if she drove Scott to this point by demanding a whopping $60K a month (not officially confirmed but mentioned by Scott) then I think she should be ashamed of the shocking hypocrisy of her opening paragraph.

Many people say he was exhausted, going broke and depressed. $60K a month will do that to a man.

Sure he was a fucking idiot for messing up his two chances..(imagine if he was doing STP and VR like Myles?? The $$$$...) If he was sane, he should have been well able to afford such a payment but that was clearly not the case.

Was he shown some kindness by her in this matter?

It'll all come out eventually but sadly won't change a thing.

The man is dead and his two women and two kids are in a bad place today.

Edited by Intercourse
  • Like 1

Scott said it best in the interview "The Devil Gives You the First Time For Free..." Drugs rob you of your ability to feel. They rob you of the specialness of everything. You become stuck in a place where you're numb to just about everything. It's an apathy on par with nothing else. You can see that the many years of drug abuse robbed Scott of his personality. His downward spiral can actually be charted if you have a keen eye.

I would say something in Scott really gave up somewhere around Libertad. Maybe it was his brother passing, maybe it was the point where him and Mary fell out of love, but right around 2006/2007, he began to fray at the edges. Both creatively and personally.

Libertad was a poor album, and to be honest, everything Scott put out artistically after Contraband was not up to par to his talent. His self destructive tendencies aside, as I fan, I felt that a lot of the creative fire had gone out of him, at that point. Who could blame VR or the Deleo's for not wanting to work with him when he was both a pain in the ass AND now producing poor art.

I would say he was out of touch with himself, out of touch with his art. He was marooned on an island of apathy and every year saw him growing stranger and more withdrawn. There are quite a few interviews he gave where I was shocked that this guy could hardly even speak. He used to be very eloquent and funny.

He really looks rough in this particular interview.

Scott said it best in the interview "The Devil Gives You the First Time For Free..." Drugs rob you of your ability to feel. They rob you of the specialness of everything. You become stuck in a place where you're numb to just about everything. It's an apathy on par with nothing else. You can see that the many years of drug abuse robbed Scott of his personality. His downward spiral can actually be charted if you have a keen eye.

I would say something in Scott really gave up somewhere around Libertad. Maybe it was his brother passing, maybe it was the point where him and Mary fell out of love, but right around 2006/2007, he began to fray at the edges. Both creatively and personally.

Libertad was a poor album, and to be honest, everything Scott put out artistically after Contraband was not up to par to his talent. His self destructive tendencies aside, as I fan, I felt that a lot of the creative fire had gone out of him, at that point. Who could blame VR or the Deleo's for not wanting to work with him when he was both a pain in the ass AND now producing poor art.

I would say he was out of touch with himself, out of touch with his art. He was marooned on an island of apathy and every year saw him growing stranger and more withdrawn. There are quite a few interviews he gave where I was shocked that this guy could hardly even speak. He used to be very eloquent and funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mv9nEGegSDM

Libertad was a great album. It just wasn't Contraband 2.

Yep, have totally been there. And have seen it happen to others. Family friend of ours had a father who was a drunk...was never there for the kids, did not pay child support and even insisted the kids were not his and their mother must have rigged the DNA test. When he died (of alcohol related complications, natch) the rest of the family portrayed him as Super Dad in the obits. There was a bit of drama because they could not understand why his kids didn't actually care that he had died and would not sing his praises. But why should they have done that?

I honestly do not buy the 60K a month deal. No judge would do that to someone who was not making tangible millions a year. Scott wasnt. Under CA community property rules she would have gotten half his VR royalties and that would have been taken into consideration too. STP stuff would have been safe because it was before the marriage.

Edited by stella

Given Scott's well documented past, it's more than a sick reach to blame Mary and child support/alimony payments for his demise. Incredibly sad, but there's only 1 person responsible.

Just from being a fan and seeing him in interviews, my bet is that if he could somehow come back and speak he'd fess up that what she wrote is mostly true and how he'd fallen so short as husband and father due to his addictions. He had self awareness and wasn't the stereotypical flaky, out of touch rock star when clean. Unfortunately, that wasn't often enough.

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 3

You're dead on. My only disagreement is that I think Scott still had something in him for Libertad, since he was still clean for at least a chunk of that era, but his last few albums were definitely very, very weak. I finally listened to Blaster and Art of Anarchy after his passing, and man...there's no life in those vocals or lyrics, and the music is bland too. Listening to them in retrospect is just plain depressing.

Given Scott's well documented past, it's more than a sick reach to blame Mary and child support/alimony payments for his demise. Incredibly sad, but there's only 1 person responsible.

Just from being a fan and seeing him in interviews, my bet is that if he could somehow come back and speak he'd fess up that what she wrote is mostly true and how he'd fallen so short as husband and father due to his addictions. He had self awareness and wasn't the stereotypical flaky, out of touch rock star when clean. Unfortunately, that wasn't often enough.

As far as this goes, yeah, I'm definitely not putting the blame on Mary at all, it's obvious Scott was the only one behind his death. But at the same time, it might've just been a "straw that broke the camel's back" sort of thing, if he hadn't been forcing himself to tour second-rate music at second-rate venues, who knows, maybe he might've lived a bit longer. That's all I was getting at by bringing it up.

Edited by chevelle

^Yeah, we all know how complex life and people are and I have little doubt he probably had a lot of stuff swirling inside him. If he was as estranged from his kids as she says, he probably had a lot of shame and self loathing because he often did express how much he loved them.

Feel like shit for Scott and all of them. At least Mary knew to some degree what she was getting into with him since they met at an early age and then she went off the rails for a time with him. But the son and daughter are the true victims here, they didn't have a choice in any of this and all they know is their father chose drugs and is gone. Forever. And apparently on bad terms. Ugh.

I read Scott's wife's letter. And while I understand literally everything she said negative about Scott, there are a few sides to every story. Scott weiland was an axl rose, a David Bowie, an Eddie vedder,and a true original all wrapped into one. I will forever listen to his music... he was a true artist and one of the best. I will remember him for that.

Edited by mr. ritz88
  • Like 1

I've been on a real Scott Weiland kick since he passed and I honestly forgot how fucking awesome some of his bands where. Still can't believe he's gone. I won't ever forget seeing VR in Boise in 2005. Scott just had that "it" factor that so few do. Just a great frontman and someone who truly "let it bleed". I think all the "what if's" and "if only's" are interesting to think about but I think whatever demons he was fighting fueled the artist that he was.

I've been listening to Happy in Galoshes and Blaster and I like both a lot so far.

• Like 3

I've been on a real Scott Weiland kick since he passed and I honestly forgot how fucking awesome some of his bands where. Still can't believe he's gone. I won't ever forget seeing VR in Boise in 2005. Scott just had that "it" factor that so few do. Just a great frontman and someone who truly "let it bleed". I think all the "what if's" and "if only's" are interesting to think about but I think whatever demons he was fighting fueled the artist that he was.

I've been listening to Happy in Galoshes and Blaster and I like both a lot so far.

Was never big on Weiland but I decided to make my thru his work.

Blaster is very good.

I like 12 Bar Blues a great deal.

And I enjoyed about half of the Art of Anarchy album.

Not keen on Happy In Galoshes or either VR album

Blaster is very good.

If you had to pick between Blaster and 12 Bar Blues, which do you like better?

Blaster is very good.

If you had to pick between Blaster and 12 Bar Blues, which do you like better?

Blaster...by a hair

• Like 1

I love Velvet Revolver to death, but there's two things I don't understand.

1. Why on EARTH didn't they put messages on Libertad? It's like they wanted the record to tank.

2. Why did they put a recovering drug addict under such a pressure (meaning touring, recording and fronting a rock band)? They should have known better.

Edited by jekylhyde