which songs dose Izzy Stradlin plays lead guitar on Guns N' Roses ablums ?

The one's Slash doesn't play ;) 

But seriously have a listen to AFD with headphones, Slash and Izzy are both panned left and right so it should be fairly easy to work it out. Almost certain he played zero lead on UYI I & II

25 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The one's Slash doesn't play ;) 

But seriously have a listen to AFD with headphones, Slash and Izzy are both panned left and right so it should be fairly easy to work it out. Almost certain he played zero lead on UYI I & II

He did the Back off Bitch intro

5 hours ago, EvanG said:

I can't know for sure that it is Izzy, but there are three reasons why I can't be sure it isn't. It doesn't sound like Slash if you listen closely. The solo is written by Izzy. It says so in the booklet.

How can you be so sure he wasn't around at all anymore? Did you work on those albums? Were you there? If so, then I'll take your word for it. If not, then you can't know.

I've listened closely enough and I'm 100% convinced that it's him. Even if he's not playing it live like he did in the studio, it's unmistakably his sound and his style.

And fuck the booklet. According to my booklet nobody sings lead vocals on DTJ :P

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I've listened closely enough and I'm 100% convinced that it's him. Even if he's not playing it live like he did in the studio, it's unmistakably his sound and his style.

And fuck the booklet. According to my booklet nobody sings lead vocals on DTJ :P

I agree the booklet has more mistakes.

I also agree it has Slash's tone, but it's not that far fetched that someone else used his set up. That happens sometimes in a studio between bandmates when they are recording an album together.

The reason I think it might not be Slash is because this will be the only up-tempo/fast song where he plays lead on, that I know of, that doesn't have him playing a fast solo in it. I know he isn't the type of guitarist who plays fast for the sake of playing fast, but every solo he ever recorded, even if it is for only a few seconds during the solo, is played fast, except for ballads and slow parts in a song.

I understand that there are a lot of melodic parts in this solo that doesn't need speed, but even in the end when the solo reaches its climax and Matt is going crazy on the drums, the solo still doesn't speed up, and that is so out of character for Slash. Live he does exactly that in every version I've ever heard, he shreds his ass off during some of those moments in the solo, just like what you would expect of him. This solo really lends itself to playing a lot of notes in specific moments, as in most Spanish style solos. Especially from 2:11 on the song is just begging for a lot of notes to be played for a second or two, but it doesn't happen. Then at 2:21 you can hear the guitar speeding up a little bit, but it doesn't sound much like Slash... it sounds a bit amateuristic, like someone who doesn't know how to play fast very well.

So, that begs the question... if it's Slash, why does he play it so safe on the record and doesn't he play it the way a solo like this should be played, the way he plays it live? Maybe because it's not played by him, but by someone who actually wrote the solo. Someone who actually got the credit for playing it. Someone who isn't much of a shredder and who usually plays in a more simplistic way, the way this solo sounds like on the record.

I'm not saying it's definitely not Slash, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Edited by EvanG

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

I agree the booklet has more mistakes.

I also agree it has Slash's tone, but it's not that far fetched that someone else used his set up. That happens sometimes in a studio between bandmates when they are recording an album together.

The reason I think it might not be Slash is that then this will be the only up-tempo/fast song where he plays lead on, that I know of, that doesn't have him playing a fast solo in it. I know he isn't the type of guitarist who plays fast for the sake of playing fast but every solo he ever recorded, even if it is for a few seconds in the song, is played fast, except on ballads and slow a

27 minutes ago, Sunset Boulevard said:

Come on guys, it's NOT Izzy, he just can't play lead guitar like Slash or Fortus.

That's what I am saying... the solo on the record isn't played the way Slash would normally play it.

For crying out loud...

No, but seriously... if it is indeed Slash, then I wonder why he played such a half ass solo. Normally he plays mainly pentatonic shit, but this solo could have been really cool because it's different and it would have given him the chance to be creative, basically how he plays it live every single time, but instead he chooses to play it like a freaking amateur on the record.

Makes sense... so yeah, good chance it's Izzy.

Personally having studied Izzys playing for over 20 years I think its Izzy, its too understated to be Slash. Izzy's just using the lead rig like he did for the Back Off Bitch Intro. Slash would have ripped it. 

There are Izzy solo songs he plays lead on too that are clearly not Rick Richards, 'Snow' comes to mind. Very tasteful and nice thicker tone than when he rips the Chuck Berry esq stuff a la Nightrain. 

So we are led to believe that Izzy, for no apparent reason, decided to pick up Slash's guitar and record a solo, only for the solo to revert to Slash when the song was first performed live (with Izzy present) before the album came out?

We know Slash plays the acoustic solo - this is factually proven.

Edited by DieselDaisy

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

So we are led to believe that Izzy, for no apparent reason, decided to pick up Slash's guitar and record a solo, only for the solo to revert to Slash when the song was first performed live (with Izzy present) before the album came out?

We know Slash plays the acoustic solo - this is factually proven.

Yes. I dont know if you have been in a studio with a band but this kind of stuff happens a lot. Different members using each others instruments, especially guitar players and maintaining a consistent tone for the album and not fucking with channels on the desk.

When the band played live Izzy had his rig set up for dry rhythm guitar, Gibsons and Fenders through Fender amps. Slash, the thick Gibson to Marshall.

He already did it on Back Off Bitch intro so why  not DTJ? I think its Izzy but we'll never know unless they tell us. It just does not scream a Slash solo, at all. 

• Like 1

The acoustic guitars were played by Slash and Duff.

The fact that Slash plays it live doesn't mean he played it on the record. Axl sings lead, even when Izzy was still in the band, while on the record he only sings background vocals. Is that any different? According to the booklet, Izzy played both rhythm and lead, so it's obvious he had to hand one part over to Slash while playing it live, and seeing as the song turns into such a jam and Slash is such a noodler to begin with, he let him play the solo. Who knows. It's not that weird.

This might be the only real solo Izzy played on UYI, so it wouldn't be unlikely for Mike Clink to suggest him to try and play through Slash's amp and use his settings, and if they preferred that sound, they went with it. That's how it works in a studio. You try different things. 

By all means, I like the solo just fine, but it's the type of solo that could have been played so much more interesting and better... like Izzymacbeth said... it's too understated for it to be Slash. This would be the only GnR song that I can think of where Slash doesn't shred in a fast/aggressive song like this, not even a single shred lick for one or two seconds, even though it would totally benefit this type of solo of Spanish guitar influences. The way Slash played it live, even in 1991 probably not long before or after the song was recorded, Slash plays it way more interesting in his typical style, the style you can't hear on the album version of this song.

Especially the part from 2:20 to 2:30 doesn't sound like Slash to me. That's the only part in the song where the guitar actually tries to speed it up and play faster, but a lot of notes seem to get swallowed, and I can't imagine Slash having played it that amateuristic. Slash might not be the most technical player either, but he's obviously better than that. Even live when he was probably drunk/stoned out of his mind, he was able to play it faster and smoother than that.

To me it screams 'Slash'. I have every single Izzy solo album and I've never heard him play that way before. 

We know Slash played the acoustic solo which fades in and out, which musically is a continuation of the electric solo being in the same key relationship and style, so it is reasonable to presume Slash played the electric solo also.

nah, it isn't reasonable to presume at all just because it's a continuation and because it's in the same key. It's probably not even recorded at the same time.

The more I listen to it the more I think it's Izzy. It's small details that just doesn't scream Slash to me. The way two strings are being pulled at around 2:13 till 2:16 sound nothing like Slash... he'd do something way more creative, and even if he would have played it like that he would have made it sound better. I just listened and looked at the solo on songsterr.com and it's so different from other Slash solos.

I used to think the intro to Back off Bitch was played by Slash too, but that didn't turn out to be that way.

I guess we will never know for sure until someone from the band will tell.

Edited by EvanG

It is Slash. Izzy sticks very close to a Chuck Berry minor pent thing - especially in those days, with Guns. He never meandered like that. Izzy never produces epic massive string bends like that and flowery meandering string pulls/hammer-ons. These are all however Slash's raison d'être.

Let's look at the evidence,

- It is with Slash's rig. There is little evidence to suggest Stradlin using Slash's rig elsewhere.

- It is musically derivative of the subsequent acoustic solo by Slash (as confirmed in his book)

- Slash plays the solo live with Izzy in the band,

- We have this,

- Izzy never recorded a lengthy solo like that for Guns. All of Izzy's leads are little Berry-esque intro things.

10 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

- We have this,

- Izzy never recorded a lengthy solo like that for Guns. All of Izzy's leads are little Berry-esque intro things.

Wish the album version was more like that. Could've been an epic 8 min jam like Locomotive instead of a verse, verse outro 3 min. Still love the song, but a missed opportunity imho.