Anybody else love Back off Bitch?

got a great nasty riff, but i think like much of the Illusions' material the excess production kind of undermined it. don't get me wrong, i love the bloat of the Illusions, it's part of the nostalgia and the whole package feel of the thing, but if you look at some of the songs singularly and objectively, i think they'd have been better off with a stripped-down, raw production quality and Back Off Bitch is definitely one of those, IMO.

compare:

i sort of prefer the demo.

• Like 1

speaking of Get in The Ring, thats Slash on the outro right?

i seen somebody on here say that was Axl but it sounds like Slash to me

I have at many different times thought it was many different members of the band and never gotten a firm answer.

The beginning of the sentence sounds like classic fucked up Slash. Then it starts to sound more like how Duff talks towards the end. Then the little chuckle reminds me of Axl, maybe just doing a weird voice. For what its worth, I used to assume it was Slash, now I've just thought it was Duff cause Slash doesn't really talk like that, and after Axl said Duff was the one who gave him the idea, I just assumed he did the little speech at the end.

So I have no idea who the fuck it is if someone wants to answer.

I always thought it's Duff.

Btt: I love the intro and I love the solo. Overall it's a song I like...

It's 100% Slash. Listen or watch any performance of Dust N' Bones just before the solo and it's clearly Slash.

The chorus goes entirely too long, killing the song. The intro is great, the verses are fine, but that chorus...

I agree! the intro and the verses are nice but the chorus is cheesy as fuck.

So can't say that I'd LOVE the song. I barely even LIKE it.

Funny side note, my wife and I were in the car about 2 months ago and I had UYI1 in the CD player. When Back off bitch came in my wife even got annoyed with it. (she "likes" gnr, but she is a typical casual fan. She knows far more about them because of me than she would on her own). She even said something along the lines of "this is one of the worst gnr songs, all he says is back off bitch, lyin in a ditch. Nothing else to the song."

I thought it was funny because I have never talked to her about the song, but she pointed out exactly what i, and most people dislike about it. The only other time she talked about how bad a certain gnr song was when I first bought uyi2 on vinyl. I had to jam it right away of course, but when My World came on she was like "wtf is this Shit?" I laughed and said "honey this is the absolute worst song gnr ever recorded, it's not even a debate, it's a fact." lol.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Musically it's pretty great, but those god damn lyrics are awful. It's painfully obvious that song came from the "think about you" and "anything goes" period of their songwriting. I don't recall if Izzy or Axl wrote it but if Axl did, it's another fine example of how his songwriting toes the line between brilliant and an embarrassing combination of infantile and stupid. When he falls on either side he falls hard.

Edited by TeeJay410
  • Like 1

terrific song

in toronto 1991 axl says that the song was written in 1981!

i remember slash mentioning in some interview that the song existed before GNR and then he (slash) changed some chords to it and slash seemed really proud of that change

id like very much to know which chords exactly slash changed on it!

===

talking about loving the song, its funny to notice that axl probably stopped loving it at some point

i am saying that because apparently axl didnt wanna play it on the UYI tour

in toronto 1991, if i am not mistaken, Axl sort of made a point to let everyone know that he only would sing it BY REQUEST of Slash

i tried and find a link to that but i cant right now

Edited by ludurigan

Woah oh oh oh oh

Back Off Bitch is equal to Get In The Ring, nice but a sea of cheese.

That is the best part, imho

On the demo versions it sounds better

Always love this song, never understood why some dislike it.

Fuckin amazin blast in it in the car whilst driving

Because they like cheesefest ballads like Estranged, November Rain, This I Love etc....

One thing i find it extremely hilarious on these boards that posters tend to prefer the ballads instead of the rockers

i mean ballads are great, SCOM is one of the best hard rock ballads ever, but pretentious songs like NR and Estranged (over all) are such a bore

In fact people started to slag off YCBM (one of their best song) these days...

Guns N' Roses was a hard rock band in their prime. The grandiose ballads were good in the 90's and for the circus UYI tour, but nowadays i find them extremely boring and stale

Its a shame that the most viewed GNR video is NR

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

got a great nasty riff, but i think like much of the Illusions' material the excess production kind of undermined it. don't get me wrong, i love the bloat of the Illusions, it's part of the nostalgia and the whole package feel of the thing, but if you look at some of the songs singularly and objectively, i think they'd have been better off with a stripped-down, raw production quality and Back Off Bitch is definitely one of those, IMO.

compare:

i sort of prefer the demo.

Exactly

Check out this version, it's even better

This is from the Hell House tapes

Sounds more raw

One of my all time favorite GNR songs to scream in my car!

Love the lyrics because I'm sure Axl and many of us have had bitches in our life we would like to leave in a ditch somewhere! lol

Lol.

Woah oh oh oh oh

Because they like cheesefest ballads like Estranged, November Rain, This I Love etc....

One thing i find it extremely hilarious on these boards that posters tend to prefer the ballads instead of the rockers

i mean ballads are great, SCOM is one of the best hard rock ballads ever, but pretentious songs like NR and Estranged (over all) are such a bore

Guns N' Roses was a hard rock band in their prime. The grandiose ballads were good in the 90's and for the circus UYI tour, but nowadays i find them extremely boring and stale

You find it extremely hilarious when people like different songs than you do?

Love the lyrics because I'm sure Axl and many of us have had bitches in our life we would like to leave in a ditch somewhere! lol

Lol.

Woah oh oh oh oh

Nope, i find it extremely hilarious when fans of a (mostly) hard rock band (a band who went to legend status because of hard rock songs and hard rock live performances) posting that "OMG estranged is their number one song" " their early songs are such juvenile " " gimme estranged or TIL or NR over PC, WTTJ or ISE any day"

But i get your point of view: everybody should like what they want to like and opinions are like assholes....

But i won't take your cupcakebait, to have a long winded and tl;dr argument, sorry

Lol.

Woah oh oh oh oh

Nope, i find it extremely hilarious when fans of a (mostly) hard rock band (a band who went to legend status because of hard rock songs and hard rock live performances) posting that "OMG estranged is their number one song" " their early songs are such juvenile " " gimme estranged or TIL or NR over PC, WTTJ or ISE any day"

But i get your point of view: everybody should like what they want to like and opinions are like assholes....

But i won't take your cupcakebait, to have a long winded and tl;dr argument, sorry

Oh Crash.

Let it go, man. Let it go. Literally.

I was just curious why you find it extremely hilarious for people to like different songs than you do. Nobody is trying to argue or bait you into anything. The world isn't out to get you, bro.

You are a grown man. You shouldn't let complete strangers opinions on songs or messages boards have so much effect on you.

Literally we are all guns n roses fans just wanting to chat GnR music with other fans. Don't literally take everything to heart.

Back Off Bitch is one of the AFD outtakes that actually sound like it belongs as an outtake.

Wasn't Perfect Crime also a AFD outtake? I find it odd that these songs weren't considered good enough for inclusion on Appetite but they had no qualms putting them on UYI. I mean, they are clearly b-side quality at best, and its songs like this that give weight to the arguement that UYI is bloated and indulgent. I personally love those albums to death, but they would both be a lot stronger if they trimmed off some of the fat (Back Off Bitch, Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime and So Fine being the prime culprits).

Lol.

Woah oh oh oh oh

Oh Crash.

Let it go, man. Let it go. Literally.

I was just curious why you find it extremely hilarious for people to like different songs than you do. Nobody is trying to argue or bait you into anything. The world isn't out to get you, bro.

You are a grown man. You shouldn't let complete strangers opinions on songs or messages boards have so much effect on you.

Literally we are all guns n roses fans just wanting to chat GnR music with other fans. Don't literally take everything to heart.

who is crash?

I'm explained my point of view

But i'm not get into your trap and defend YOUR statement/argument/question/position (aka. strawman argument)

I never wrote about that i find it extremely hilarious when people like different songs than i do, that was not my point that's just your poor assumption of my POV

You always play this passive agressive strawman argument shit for years here just to came back later with this "oh, chill out bro, calm down, you seem nervous" and this is certainly works for you for some posters. i'm not one of them.

I'm perfectly calm and mostly laugh my ass off of your trollbait and strawman argument posts

That's all

carry on my wayward son

Back Off Bitch is one of the AFD outtakes that actually sound like it belongs as an outtake.

Wasn't Perfect Crime also a AFD outtake? I find it odd that these songs weren't considered good enough for inclusion on Appetite but they had no qualms putting them on UYI. I mean, they are clearly b-side quality at best, and its songs like this that give weight to the arguement that UYI is bloated and indulgent. I personally love those albums to death, but they would both be a lot stronger if they trimmed off some of the fat (Back Off Bitch, Garden of Eden, Perfect Crime and So Fine being the prime culprits).

Lol, Back Off Bitch even with these lyrics are better than Perfect Crime, Dust n' Bones, Right Next Door To Hell, So Fine, Bad Apples, even Dead Horse...

I would prefer back off Bitch on AFD instead of Anything Goes for example (but keep in mind that i actually like AG)

Perfect Crime? The fuck, mang?

• Like 1

There ain't a single GnR song from Appetite/Lies/Illusions that i dislike. Back Off Bitch i really like, it's got a really 'big' sound to it, i like the pace of it too, makes it all the more powerful. And i love that it comes across as a song thats written by someone thats quite...shook for want of a better word but it's kinda capped off with their kinda sarcastic 'hey what do you think he's tryna say there anyway?' Fuckin'....BITCH! :lol: The chorus guitar it quite neat too.

Perfect Crime is one of the best Guns songs ever written. And it wasn't an Appetite outtake. It's a beast live (on youtube)

Agreed. Right Next Door to Hell too. Perfect Crime is shite on paper but the fact that it sounds so amazing is testament to how shit-hot that band were on their day.

Edited by Len B'stard

Slash's Perfect Crime solo encompasses hard rock. Got everything. The frenetic energy, the sound, the note choices even when it's fast and hard, still lyrical. And it's an Izzy tune which kinda explains it. When they cut to the chase, which is basically Izzy's entire musical philosophy imo, it sounds great. Sounds like chaos. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 Slash. And the 3 notes Slash ends his solo with are brilliant.

You could cull 9 or 10 brilliant hard rock songs from the illusion albums for an album of its own. It's a shame most of the shorter rock songs were neutered in the production.

Right next door to hel

Dust n bones

Perfect crime

Back off bitch

Garden of Eden

Coma

Civil war

14 years

Locomotive

You could be mine

What if that or something like it was the album? With just raw production? Sure we'd miss the epics but really, I'd take that album over most of appetite.

• Like 1