Independence Day: Resurgence

Black Sabbath

• 2 weeks later...

I was around 13 when this movie came out in Belgium. This was when X-files was at its biggest and everything coming out of hollywood had aliens in it. The hype and marketing campaign for ID4 was incredible. I remember having the poster, the sticker book, watching the fake news report about the alien invasion they put together on TV. The cast was amazing; Will Smith from Fresh Prince, Jeff Goldblum from Jurassic Park, Data from TNG... The images of the spaceships hovering above cities as well as the white house being blown to pieces, hell yes I'd like to see that. :lol:

So when I finally saw it in the theatre, I was blown away by the scope, the effects and the action. Yes, the dialogue and 'patriotic' sentiments were cheesy but it was a great blockbuster. It came at the right time. I find it hard to sit through nowadays and I'm certainly not waiting for a sequel lol and from the looks of the trailer I doubt it will be anything as exciting as the first one. It looks like one of those remakes sold as a sequel.

I always found the great late Patrice O'Neal's take on the movie funny:

Edited by Bumblefeet

One thing I like about Roland Emmerich is that his movies feature very good CGI. 2012 was crap but the effects were awesome.

Yes, I'm tired of CGI too but when it's done properly, I'm fine with it. Like Elysium, for example. Crappy movie but damn those robots were cool!

The perfect thing to do would at least do a scene with the alien using practical effects. For the fans... It's not impossible and wouldn't cost as much as destroying miniature cities and landmarks.

It's just great to see the President, Dave, Dave's Father and Dr motherfucking Okun back! I'll always have a soft spot for ID1, watched it hundreds of times, loved the funny scenes between Will and Goldblum, aliens scared the shit out of me, loved President Whitmore's speech, Randy Quaid... It was part of my childhood.  It's not like they're rebooting or filling it up with a completely new teen cast. It feels legitimate and natural. Really rooting for this movie to be good and do well, so they can laugh and point at Will Smith for rejecting returning.

• 1 month later...

Saw this movie today. It was ok, not bad. Pretty Slow in the beginning but picked up near the end. The only bad thing in the movie was (IMO) making Brent Spiners' character Gay.

SMH, It was very sad to ruin a perfectly good character like this. Kind of gross and unnecessary to shove that in there. Other than that It was fine. I'm sure there will be a 3rd.

• Like 1

On June 26, 2016 at 1:22 AM, 31illusions said:

Saw this movie today. It was ok, not bad. Pretty Slow in the beginning but picked up near the end. The only bad thing in the movie was (IMO) making Brent Spiners' character Gay.

SMH, It was very sad to ruin a perfectly good character like this. Kind of gross and unnecessary to shove that in there. Other than that It was fine. I'm sure there will be a 3rd.

I see what you did there. 

14 hours ago, Cosmo said:

Thought it was pretty awesome. Hate destruction movies but this one kept me entertained. I have this special love for ID's alien designs.

I like the design a lot too. Apparently so does Steven Speilberg cause he ripped it off for his War of the Worlds adaptation.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2016 at 6:35 AM, rocknroll41 said:

I like the design a lot too. Apparently so does Steven Speilberg cause he ripped it off for his War of the Worlds adaptation.

They are an awesome design. Also loved the look of their ships and fighters.

I liked the sound design in Spielberg's War of the Worlds for the tripods. Once they showed the actual aliens it was "meh". Will prob go watch ID4 2 in the next week or so against better judgement.

On 4/9/2016 at 4:32 PM, december pain said:

Looks great. Sad Will Smith isn't in it, but other than that looks awesome. I loved the first movie.

90s Will Smith is long gone. Scientology Will Smith is all that's left and well... no thanks!

On 7/1/2016 at 0:37 PM, Slash787 said:

First one was great, this one just looks meh, I won't go to watch it, the trailers just seem ok.

My wife LOVES to go to the movies. She doesn't care what it is, she just loves to go so sometimes we'll go to stuff like this when she's out of stuff to see that she really wanted to. We saw it last week and it was OK at best. Just too much of a re-hash of the first mixed with some really shitty acting. I liked it more initially but since I've thought on it more, I just didn't think it was that good.