Final Fantasy

AtariLegend

This is probably my favorite video game series and they just released a new trailer last week for the remake for the most popular (not the best :P) game in the series.

Looks fantastic and I'm fine if they're using FFXV game play for it. I would have been hyped for this bigger than a Star Wars hardcore for a new film, if they didn't announce that this is coming in multiple releases and they said they can't say how many yet (. Apparently we get a fleshed out Midgar, but what 4 or 5 discs to play through the story?

I'm actually looking forward to XV more and it's approaching "Chinese Democracy" levels of wait time.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

Final Fantasy XIII killed my enthusiasm for the series. I loved XII(outside of vaan) but after seeing the gameplay for XV has really got me interested in final fantasy again and the remake of VII looks fantastic. so these two games will make me buy a ps4.

Everything in the preview for the VII remake is from the beginning of the story. How close is this to being released?

Supposedly the scenario for the first part of the game has been completed :P. It's supposedly to come out in multiple releases, but they're claiming each release will be as long as a "full game".

The official title is “Final Fantasy VII Remake.” According to Kitase and Nomura, there were plans to attach a subtitle that relates to the story, but they didn’t want to give off the impression that it was a spin-off or a sequel. Kitase added that, before they debuted the new trailer at PlayStation Experience 2015, they showed some of the reactions from the E3 2015 teaser trailer, and everyone’s excitement reached its highest when the word “Remake” appeared on screen.

One of the main reasons Square Enix hasn’t remade Final Fantasy VII up until now is because its a massive undertaking to construct it from the ground up with current technology, according to Kitase. A proper HD remake that maintains the same feeling of density of the original wouldn’t fit into a single installment. Nomura adds that in the case of a single installment, content would have to be cut and the result would be a condensed version of the game. But with this method, players will be able to explore many different areas of Midgar that they couldn’t access in the original. While parts may also be cut from the original, Nomura promises that overall, the amount of content is only going to increase.

Character models are supervised by the director at Visual Works. Roberto Ferrari is doing sub-character designs, such as Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie.

CyberConnect2 is one of Square Enix’s external partners on the project. Kitase says in this day and age, it has become a common production technique to collaborate with a number of companies. He compliments CyberConnect2 for their action game experience and know-how, as well as video production. However, Square Enix is keeping close with CyberConnect2, as their production tastes differ from that of Square Enix. Nomura was annoyed by the direction of the the new trailer (laughs), so Square Enix brought it closer to the company’s style.

The models from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children are not being used, as they’re more than 10 years old at this point. This time rather, they’re making adjustments many times over to create a balance between realism and deformity (in the sense that it’s unrealistic).

Outside of the segments from the teaser trailer, the new trailer is entirely in-game. After the scene at the end, where Cloud leaps off the train, the camera pans behind Cloud and gameplay begins. Nomura notes that the quality is still being polished.

The white-ish and skinny appearance of Cloud is a result of the lighting, according to Nomura. But Kazushige Nojima thinks “it feels sickly and that’s really good.”

The scene where Cloud cross-dresses for Don Corneo is included in the scenario. Nomura still hasn’t done the design yet, though.

They were originally going to use Barret’s design from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, but Nomura wanted to redesign him. Nomura says that from the start, he wanted to redesign every character.

The battle system is action-oriented, but it’s completely different from Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII, and not as strong in action as Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade or Kingdom Hearts.

The battle system is Active Time Battle. However, the ATB gauge doesn’t indicate the order of attacks, but rather is its own system unique to Final Fantasy VII Remake. Nomura says you should pay particular attention to when the gauge turns red.

A party consists of three characters, and players can switch freely between them at any time. You don’t have to switch characters if you don’t want to.

The battle tempo will be similar to Dissidia Final Fantasy Arcade. This time, we’re only getting a look at the base part of the battle system, but you can switch characters and apply strategies. Nomura says it’s not just aimlessly striking enemies. To accomplish such a system, they’re recruiting experienced people from Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts to the team.

The quality of the latest trailer is just the starting point, according to Nomura. Now that they’re able to showcase the direction of the remake, they’re moving into polishing.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-details-reason-multi-part-release-cyberconnect2-collaboration-more

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/final-fantasy-vii-remake-part-one-scenario-complete

I doubt we see this anytime soon.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

Played through the steam version of FF7 on the PS4 last week, loved the nostalgia :) also love the x3 speed boosters and other cheats that don't block out trophies, makes grinding for levels and leveling materia a lot easier

Very anxious for 15 and the 7 remake

I'm cautiously optimistic for XV. Square Enix insists on trying to reinvent the wheel for every new entry in the series these days. They did it to a much smaller extent with older entries in the series (no two games during the "glory days" of the series played the same way, but they were still similar in many regards), but they really ramped up that mentality with XII, XIII, and now XV, to very mixed results. XV has looked pretty good in the trailers, at least. One thing I don't like is that the world just looks so... empty in the trailers. So many large, barren expanses of land in the gameplay trailers. Doesn't exactly make me eager to explore it.

I think I may be looking forward to that World of Final Fantasy game more, tbh. :P

Lookinggood. I don't get why people are criticizing the new battle system on FF VII. XV looks cool too, except for the hero which looks like the emo loser kid from Naruto.

That is the one thing I dislike about FF XV, the party looks like some kind of japanese emo boy band :lol: and like lightningbolt said the world looks kind of empty(kind of reminds me of a MMO) but the rest of the stuff sounds good and ...

http://i.imgur.com/4Tj0ZGO.webm

Yeah, the main party in this game is certainly different from typical Japanese RPG stuff, but I'm not sure it's in a good way. Looks like the main character hanging out with his bros. I know way back closer to when the game was first announced the princess and some female knight that worked for her were supposed to be in the party, but I haven't seen anything about those two in ages.

People have had mixed feeling about the party since VII, although I'm fine with it. As far away from XIII as possible please.

Just finished the X HD remaster for the PS4 not long ago. I still think it's strong, even if the end game is a bit repetitive (AKA farming stats to 255 to kill Dark Aeons, Penance/Nemesis without cheating via Zanmanto). The main story is shorter than I remember it and it's far too easy at times using Bahamuat's overdrive to basically kill bosses in 2/3 turns and those temple trials? What trials, very simple. Some of the mini-games to get the celestial weapons are not fun though. The chocobo race where you need to get 0 seconds is silly RNG and who on earth's idea was it for you have to collect 10 of every creature to unlock Nemesis, it's boring. I'm not sure it's held up well. I still though get all nostalgic when I hear calm before the storm play each time

Going to replay X-2 Remaster for the first time since the PS2 glory days later this month.

Edited by AtariLegend

Not sure how I feel about XV, looks very different from any FF game in the past. I have only played up to X-2, which I didn't finish.

My favorites of the series are X, IV (and expansions), VI, III, and Dimensions. The only one I really didn't enjoy was VII.... :shrugs:

It's about time for me to replay a few of them. I didn't get to play the HD X yet, can't remember if there's a PC version, I think release was PS4 only.

IX

Sacrilege.

I loved IX. I thought it was closer to the old FF games than anything else post VI. It was big, long and had an epic story. Only downside for me that I remember was the ending of the Kuja fights. Didn't like the Excalibur II challenge either, absolutely not worth it.

X was the start of the games getting linear, but it was fantastic at the time of it's release. Omar the HD remaster came out on the PS3/Vita as well if it helps.

XIII was very linear, it's just all graphics. I don't like the characters baring Lighting and well it's missing the spark. There's very little exploration and the combat system lacks real depth. Story wasn't that great either.

Is there anyone here who loved VIII? I remember the hype upon it's release when I was a kid, but it was underwhelming. I didn't like many of the "other" characters and the silly Junction system made it way too easy. I remember the story at a certain point jumps the shark too.

My personal favorite FF game btw is Chrono Trigger :P.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

IX

Sacrilege.

I loved IX. I thought it was closer to the old FF games than anything else post VI. It was big, long and had an epic story. Only downside for me that I remember was the ending of the Kuja fights. Didn't like the Excalibur II challenge either, absolutely not worth it.

X was the start of the games getting linear, but it was fantastic at the time of it's release. Omar the HD remaster came out on the PS3/Vita as well if it helps.

XIII was very linear, it's just all graphics. I don't like the characters baring Lighting and well it's missing the spark. There's very little exploration and the combat system lacks real depth. Story wasn't that great either.

Is there anyone here who loved VIII? I remember the hype upon it's release when I was a kid, but it was underwhelming. I didn't like many of the "other" characters and the silly Junction system made it way too easy. I remember the story at a certain point jumps the shark too.

i know thats what sucks about not like IX, it seems like i should but i cannot get into it, i even tried 4 or 5 times to play it.

I really like XII, especially being set in ivalice which is also the setting of vagrant story which is one of my favorite all time games.

• 2 weeks later...

I just went on a trip for a few days and I didn't really have PC access, but I had a bit of down time. I hadn't heard of Chrono Trigger before you mentioned it here, and I'm pretty tapped out on my handheld games on my phone (FF 1-6, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, etc.), so I figured I'd give this a shot.

It's basically Final Fantasy, a bit different I guess, but it's really good. Really enjoying it so far, I think I'm still pretty early in the story. I just killed the giant robot that was guarding the food stocks in the apocalyptic Guardia.

• Like 1

I just went on a trip for a few days and I didn't really have PC access, but I had a bit of down time. I hadn't heard of Chrono Trigger before you mentioned it here, and I'm pretty tapped out on my handheld games on my phone (FF 1-6, Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, etc.), so I figured I'd give this a shot.

It's basically Final Fantasy, a bit different I guess, but it's really good. Really enjoying it so far, I think I'm still pretty early in the story. I just killed the giant robot that was guarding the food stocks in the apocalyptic Guardia.

Multiple endings, paths. It is Final Fantasy with time travel made by the same people, only with the spells renamed. It was actually sold as part of a FF collection on the PS One too.

Enjoy and don't read spoilers :P.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Played a short XV demo recently.

Game is absolutely gorgeous. Funnily enough, it's closer to the Witch in game play (despite being a completely different thing) than previous FF games.

The map size was rumored to be several times bigger than The Witcher 3, but I'm not sure how mountains factor into it or if it was ever confirmed. 

Not sure if it's really going to be FF apart from some of the concepts, but this is going to be an amazing game if polished.

5 hours ago, AtariLegend said:

Played a short XV demo recently.

Game is absolutely gorgeous. Funnily enough, it's closer to the Witch in game play (despite being a completely different thing) than previous FF games.

The map size was rumored to be several times bigger than The Witcher 3, but I'm not sure how mountains factor into it or if it was ever confirmed. 

Not sure if it's really going to be FF apart from some of the concepts, but this is going to be an amazing game if polished.

I don't really know how I felt about that demo. The Witcher is definitely the way to go for combat in the modern third person RPG, so I hope they keep that up for VII. I think what fans really wanted was a faithful reconstruction of VII with updated graphics and a few tweaks, but that was never going to be the way. I'm still really excited for it though. As for XV, I'll await reviews for the complete package before investing.

On a side note, downloaded X/X-2 HD, enjoying playing through X again.

1 hour ago, Conor said:

I don't really know how I felt about that demo. The Witcher is definitely the way to go for combat in the modern third person RPG, so I hope they keep that up for VII. I think what fans really wanted was a faithful reconstruction of VII with updated graphics and a few tweaks, but that was never going to be the way. I'm still really excited for it though. As for XV, I'll await reviews for the complete package before investing.

On a side note, downloaded X/X-2 HD, enjoying playing through X again.

I really want to play X HD, but I have no desire to play X-2 HD - as far as I can tell you can't buy them separately, very annoying. 

2 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I really want to play X HD, but I have no desire to play X-2 HD - as far as I can tell you can't buy them separately, very annoying. 

X-2 HD remaster comes on the same disc along with some extras, that you'd probably never look at again including some bizarre old school climb a tower game (Final Mission) that must (not relevant to story/game) have been made for a hand held or whatever to milk X-2.

I did not find it as easy to over look X-2's flaws as X (since X was a landmark game at the time) when I replayed it recently. The gameplay changes were okay at the time as was the depth (for a PS2 RPG), but the cast of characters were really annoying. The main story wasn't that great either. 

3 hours ago, Conor said:

I don't really know how I felt about that demo.

Did you play the Platinum Demo (dream sequence tutorial) or the episode demo set out in some place in the world?

Edited by AtariLegend

20 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

You can't, that was putting me off for quite a while, but I managed to get them digitally for just under £20, I was happy enough to pay that for X-HD. I'll give X-2 a go at some stage I'm sure, but I'm not going to be disappointed if I don't get round to it or don't like it.