GnR’s place in hard rock history?

...I despise Pink Floyd...

This hurts me more than any other post I've ever read.

Floyd to me is just babble disguised as high art.

This one hundred thousand million billion times....the bold bit times infinity!

As the young white girls say: I literally can't even right now.
How can someone DESPISE Pink Floyd??!!! I just can't even either... :'(

Too few albums unfortunately.

I think they should have been up there with Queen, Zeppelin, Stones etc, but this^ is a major issue as to why they probably aren't.

Fronted by one of the most unique singers and frontmen of all time and a one of the most unique guitarists of all time, they should be legendary.

+1

2-3 more albums with the classic line up and we could talking about their place in rock history

Anyway, they cemented their position as the last great rock band, that's why people still interested about a reunion

Too few albums unfortunately.

I think they should have been up there with Queen, Zeppelin, Stones etc, but this^ is a major issue as to why they probably aren't.

Fronted by one of the most unique singers and frontmen of all time and a one of the most unique guitarists of all time, they should be legendary.

They are pretty legendary, that's why so much money is thrown at a reunion.

Same amount of songs as Zepp.

They probably need to put out a 2-cd Best of with some of the best off the UYI albums on disc 2 to remind everyone. Coma, Locomotive, Breakdown shows the depth they had.

I think in the top 10... You have the rolling stones, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Journey, U2, The Doors, ACDC, Pink Floyd, The Eagles, Queen, The Beatles... Etc. GnR has to rank up there with them. Their quantity may not be a lot but they do have a lot of hits off of the few albums they do have.

Journey ! It's a joke ?

Gn'R is apart band from the rest of rock n' roll history ; loved by them, hated by them but some of their songs were respected by all...

For many things they were number one of all rankings and for others things they just diseppear of memories.

The book's title "Guns N' Roses - A Band That Time Forgot" is well found.

Edited by okrkda

I'd say they are among the 100 best bands ever. I don't think that is stretching it much. It is based on sales, popularity and impact. But they would end up in the lower half of those 100. No way they are close to giants like Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young, Elvis, and other much more productive artists.

Personally, they are one of my favorite bands and I'd put them in top 10.

Zeppelin though have eight original studio albums. GN'R had only four and one of them is tiny.

Houses of the Holy has 8 tracks, Lies has 8 tracks?

We've been through this such a long,long time just trying to heal the pain.

But still Zepp has 2 more records if you don't count CD.

Early GNR have 6 records. Latter GNR have 2.

The hybrid reunion album could take GNR to the top.

GNR's place in hard rock history is rock solid.
It is not only about the amount of records. How many record did Jimi Hendrix put out?

The impact they had on both the musicscene, and the "world" when the broke big, and during the UYI tours was huge.
There had been nothing comparable since The Beatles hysteria.

Back in 91-93 GNR was everywhere, it was insane.

Zeppelin though have eight original studio albums. GN'R had only four and one of them is tiny.

How do you arrive at these figures?

By looking at how many records GNR released.

UYI I is 2 vinyl records, so are UYI II and CD. AFD is 1 vinyl, Lies 1 vinyl.

I still think Zepp released more songs though because some of their records had 10 tracks on them.

So material wise GNR delivered almost as many songs as Zepp.

They probably should have spread UYI material across the 90s. Then released another record in 2004.

But in the end they put out enough material.

I still think Zepp released more songs though because some of their records had 10 tracks on them.

They probably should have spread UYI material across the 90s. Then released another record in 2004.

Physical Graffiti is a double LP also. By your logic, GN'R released six albums (i.e. six vinyls of original material) and Zeppelin nine - which is a slightly better ratio for Guns certainly but still significantly lower.

Edited by DieselDaisy

with drain bamage

• Like 1

Physical Graffiti is a double LP also. By your logic, GN'R released six albums (i.e. six vinyls of original material) and Zeppelin nine - which is a slightly better ratio for Guns certainly but still significantly lower.

If you don't count CD it's 6. But with CD it's 8. And they could still put out another double record.

It's more an issue of time between releases and not the og line up than actual material. They have the material to be considered Top 5 hard rock band. I see Zepp and Guns as the Barca and Real Madrid of hard rock.

If you don't count CD it's 6. But with CD it's 8. And they could still put out another double record.

It's more an issue of time between releases and not the og line up than actual material. They have the material to be considered Top 5 hard rock band. I see Zepp and Guns as the Barca and Real Madrid of hard rock.

More like the Accrington Stanley of hard rock.

Here is VH1's list of 100 greatest hard rock and heavy metal bands (i think it's pretty solid myself)

1. Zeppelin

2. Sabbath

3. Hendrix

4.AC/DC

5. Metallica

6. Nirvana

7. Van Halen

8. The Who

9. Guns n Roses

10. Kiss

11. Aerosmith

12. Sex Pistols

13. Queen

14. Soundgarden

15. Pink Floyd

It's worth noting that this list was compiled by actual musicans, label execs, business insiders, etc.

• Like 1

Pointless lists unless you're solely looking at albums sales and to a less tangible degree their impact on the music scene. I mean I bet most on here wouldn't rank Nirvana as high as gnr but nobody can deny Kurt has achieved greater immortality status than axl and slash combined.. How much of that is due to his death I'm not so sure but even Nirvana have a pretty small discography compared to the heavy weights of the 60's and 70's. GnR is number one for me anyways and led Zeppelin could have released 30 LP's and nothing would change that

Pointless lists unless you're solely looking at albums sales and to a less tangible degree their impact on the music scene. I mean I bet most on here wouldn't rank Nirvana as high as gnr but nobody can deny Kurt has achieved greater immortality status than axl and slash combined.. How much of that is due to his death I'm not so sure but even Nirvana have a pretty small discography compared to the heavy weights of the 60's and 70's. GnR is number one for me anyways and led Zeppelin could have released 30 LP's and nothing would change that

For sure because of his death... when a well known artist dies young and suddenly they will always become legendary. Truth is that the last year Nirvana was not even as popular anymore as they were two year before, Pearl Jam was the biggest band in 1993 and were selling way more records, Nirvana wasn't even selling out venues anymore. But then he unfortunately died in such a tragic way and became even more legendary than Jim Morrison or Jimi Hendrix.

I think GnR made too few album to leave a big mark and even though they were still huge in the early 90s, many 'alternative' bands had already taken over and GnR weren't taken that seriously anymore with all the rock star bullshit and drama that surrounded them.

Edited by EvanG

Certainly amongst the greatest ever, imo the best ever rock band. The argument will always be that they have very few albums compared to other rock bands but if cervantes can be considered the greatest writer in literature (amongst the greatest at least) with only one book, I see no reason why GnR can't be considered great with 4 great albums.

• Like 1

GNR was a great rock band and were one of my favorite bands for a long time. Axl and Slash were amazing to watch. GNR's connection with Brazil is very strong and although the fanbase is comprised of lunatics, I kinda feel the connection. GNR's performance in Rock in Rio was HUGE, Axl's band in 2001 was very cool too.

Slash is more than just a hard rock guitar player, although he's been limiting himself to be it. Velvet Revolver showed how great he sounds writing modern rock riffs and his blues stuff is great, although I'm not an expert in Blues (I actually despise it, as well as Pink Floyd - sorry guys).

Axl was a beast on stage and also a very talented singer and piano player. His pretentiousness led to the end of real GNR and turned his carreer into a joke but I'll never deny how great he used to be.

I won't make any lists because on my list, Trent Reznor and NIN would be on #1 and nobody would take it seriously. But yeah, GNR is special. They never really influenced any bands and outside Brazil and these forums, nobody really enjoys them or cares about them. They should've released at least one more album. And Chinese Democracy should have never had the GNR name on it.

Well considering bands like Sex Pistols and Velvet Underground make top 50 lists (or higher) regularly with few releases I'd put GNR in top 50 for sure. They have 4 major classic rock anthems (WTTJ, Sweet Child, PC, Nov Rain), plus a handful of other rock radio staples (YCBM, Patience, Civil War, Heaven's Door). Mix those with the entirety of AFD plus stuff like Don't Cry, Estranged & Used To Love Her; they're definitely on par for top 50 best rock bands or better.

Edit: just noticed topic is "hard rock", in which case top 10 easily, if not top 3.

Edited by hellobeatle

Maybe the question should be, how many bands are still talked about as much 20 years after they broke up? Very few bands would have the potential for a reunion where stadium tour would be warranted 20 years after they broke up. Led Zeppelin? Stones? U2? Beatles? I always find it shocking that there is any relevance to GnR today yet alone the potential to do a stadium tour. So there was a massive impact. I'd say about 5-6 albums with high quality songs and may that are classic and amongst the top 500-1000 ever written. Not sure where they are but probably in the top 20 and had the potential to be top 5.