2016 Travel Thread

Snake-Pit

Haha, we've planned an 11-city backpacking fortnight around Europe.

Not booked tickets yet, but it's looking like:

York> Newcastle> Rotterdam> Amsterdam> Hamburg> Milan> Rome> Budapest> Copenhagen> Oslo> London> York

Speaking of tickets, I'm meeting my travel agent in a hour (DJ Carmen London) and am buying my ticket for;

Amsterdam_Front_2016.jpg

Looks about as much fun as an AIDS diagnosis. :lol:

I know, last year's brochure did look 'funner', but last year was fun, and this time, it's in June...

All parties/events are there but, you don't have to do them.

a8259ab9f0def4090a29ff3d103b1ab1.jpg

AMSTERDAM!

Edited by Snake-Pit

I'm scouting airbnb for places to stay in Amsterdam, Hamburg, Oslo, Milan, Rome, Budapest and Copenhagen. If anyone can reccomend anywhere cheap and cheerful for my husband and I to stay in any of those cities in September I'd be grateful. :)

I can't really help with the Airbnb part in Amsterdam as I usually just scout around for hotel deals. But if you want any tips on where to go and what to see just send me a message. I'll see if I can fit anything to your specific interests. :) Would be happy to hook you up with anything in Holland really. Places, foods, transport, whatever.

I think my friend from Slovakia got a great airbnb deal in Amsterdam when she was staying there, but that was an apartment for 5 so it's probably too big for just the two of you. The price and location were great though.

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Cheers Username. Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing stuff to do, because I've already been to Anne Frank House and the Van Gough Museum. And I can't think of anything else (other than this cool book shop I've heard of and getting high)!

I'll PM you closer to the time. Thanks!

Nothing confirmed yet, but I may be doing a kind of grand tour of America in late 2016/early 2017. There's a volcanology conference in Chile in November that I really want to go to, and it would be cool to see the volcanoes surrounding Puerto Varas where the conference is taking place. After that, I'd probably head up to Mexico and stay there for a few months, working on the same volcano as I did in 2014. Afterwards, I've got an offer to go stay with friends in Los Angeles and my best mate in Vancouver... I may try and "fill in the blanks" as I work my way north, if I can...

• Like 1

Nothing confirmed yet, but I may be doing a kind of grand tour of America in late 2016/early 2017. There's a volcanology conference in Chile in November that I really want to go to, and it would be cool to see the volcanoes surrounding Puerto Varas where the conference is taking place. After that, I'd probably head up to Mexico and stay there for a few months, working on the same volcano as I did in 2014. Afterwards, I've got an offer to go stay with friends in Los Angeles and my best mate in Vancouver... I may try and "fill in the blanks" as I work my way north, if I can...

Sounds like my kind of plan. I find the filling in of the blanks type situations the most fun.

Cheers Username. Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing stuff to do, because I've already been to Anne Frank House and the Van Gough Museum. And I can't think of anything else (other than this cool book shop I've heard of and getting high)!

I'll PM you closer to the time. Thanks!

Gogh dearest, don't Northernise him :lol:

Man. Vacation plans are all over the place. We have 2 US trips in mind (California and Nevada/Utah/Arizona) but we probably won't do them in 2016.

We're thinking about another Slovenia trip as we loved it the last two time. Or another Canari Islands trip. Also looking into a (possibly road) trip to either Norway or Sweden. We've also considered Tuscany in Italy. Many ideas and nothing set yet.

Except for Scotland. That's a given.

• 2 weeks later...

My now American citizen sister in New Jersey is coming over to visit me for a week, next week.

Got that call out of the blue the day before yesterday. I've got to admit - the news was a real surprise to me - but I am excited about seeing her again. :)

(Apparently she's been planning to do this for a while now).

Edited by Snake-Pit

Scotland is settled! 13-18 June, right in the Speyside! ^_^

Ever been to the UK before?
Jup! London once and Scotland 4 times. This is going to be the 5th. It's an annual trip we do with our whisky club. We've been pretty much all over Scotland.

A friend of mine who was with us in my group of friends when we all went with that nightclub to Amsterdam last year has since returned to the NL, to Eindhoven, and came back and said he saw hagelslag and was reminded of me. :):lol: - Also... Said it was quiet, at night, and there was no one around in the city..

Edited by Snake-Pit

Scotland is settled! 13-18 June, right in the Speyside! ^_^

Ever been to the UK before?
Jup! London once and Scotland 4 times. This is going to be the 5th. It's an annual trip we do with our whisky club. We've been pretty much all over Scotland.

If you can remember Scotland you've never been to Scotland!

• Like 1

Spending the winter in Miami....and it's cold! heading for Puerto Vallarta end of Feb then back to Miami for a bit. This early retirement gig is okay so far.

Vallarta? Where are you going to stay there? Have you been before?

No, first time in Mexico. a friend has a timeshare there. I'll have to find the name of the place. Have you been there?

Spending the winter in Miami....and it's cold! heading for Puerto Vallarta end of Feb then back to Miami for a bit. This early retirement gig is okay so far.

Vallarta? Where are you going to stay there? Have you been before?

No, first time in Mexico. a friend has a timeshare there. I'll have to find the name of the place. Have you been there?

I had a very wild weekend there back in February 2014. Six of us, 3 guys and 3 girls hired a car and drove 7 hours up the coast from Colima where we were all living. We stayed at the Best Western Plus, which was a bit out of town to the South (about 10 minutes by taxi to the centre). It was cracking, £50 for two nights, beautiful rooms, big pool and the hotel had a private beach with some super-fun 3 metre waves. We went out in Vallarta that night and sampled some of its very lengthy promenade of nightclubs. It was just crazy, clubs of every shape and size, all themed (one was cow-themed, one was far-east-themed with a huge statue of Buddha, one was Zoo-themed) all marketing really aggressively with PR teams trying to outbid each other for your custom.

We visited 3 different clubs on the strip and about 3:30am, our friend Jonny said "Can we go to this bar I read about? I don't think it's a gay bar per se, I just think it's a bar that gay people go to." We were all fine with this, Jonny had been to 3 "straight clubs" on our behalf, so why not let him get something out of the night? Any illusions we had about it "not being a gay bar per se" were more-or-less shattered when we walked in the door to find wall-to-wall topless dudes gyrating to blaring techno... I was in there less than 5 minutes before people were trying to remove my t-shirt. It was a laugh for about an hour, but after that, me and two of the girls got a taxi back up to the hotel. I went to my room and crashed the fuck out. I woke up at 8:30am to find the other two guys still hadn't come back, I was like "wow, they must be having a really good night!" I went back to sleep and was woken up again about 20 past 9 by loud knocking on the door.

I opened the door to find my friend Sam standing there covered in blood, at which point, he uttered the single most English response to such a scenario I've ever heard in my life: "I've had a rather terrible morning, really..." as he zombie-walked into the room and sat down on the bed, bleeding all over the pristine white sheets. Jonny had found a gentleman-friend at the gay bar, leaving Sam and a Dutch girl called Nienke. They got a taxi back up to the hotel around an hour after we did (5:30 am), and in their very drunken state went swimming in the sea, before the hotel staff came out and told them this was dangerous. They made it as far as the pool before the staff came out and told them the same thing again. Although he was pished, Sam very considerately decided that he wouldn't knock on the door to wake me up, but went up to the girls' room to crash on their floor with some towels... And that was the last thing he remembers.

He woke up hanging by his fingers in a maintenance shaft surrounded by cables with absolutely no idea how he got there and a 110ft drop straight down. The cuts he sustained were from the cables shredding his flesh as he hauled himself to safety. He still, to this day, has no idea how he got from the girls' bedroom floor to that position, he's never sleepwalked before in his life... It was weird watching him get gradually more freaked out about it as the day went on... The hotel got him patched up with bandages and antiseptic. But if he'd fallen, we wouldn't have found his body for weeks... Scary stuff.

Good weekend though ;).