This I Love w/ Slash

Rex789

I haven't posted on here in like 10 years Ha, but I figured I'd weigh in my opinion again...

I was listening to Chinese Democracy for the first time last night in probably 5 years and it reminded me of how beautiful "This I Love" is. I know its Axl's masterpiece, but the song SCREAMS Slash.

Thinking about this in terms of its lengthily production; while listening closely with the rest of the album in mind, I swear I can hear young Axl in parts of the song... especially in the chorus... and man, what a voice!

I would love to hear the demos of this from '93 when GNR was still GNR, and I would absolutely love to hear what Slash did / could do with the song.

This I Love lyrics are horrid and pure horse shit. That said, Axl performance of the song in 2010 was fucking flawless. His voice and the piano key parts combined have always been a perfect combo. Now, if you add Slash melodic solos to it... damn, use your imagination.

For example, I have always been a fan of Dust In The Wind, the cover Axl and Slash performed together in 1993. Great example of what the combination of the two isolated could be.

• Like 1

Dust In The Wind is fucking cool would be nice if they played it again

Anyway how you guys know that This I love is from old GNR?

TIL doesn´t belong in the original band catalogue. It doesn´t matter when it was written. Besides it is a reunion. They will play mostly AFD ,UYI songs a couple of songs from Lies and a few covers like KOHD and Attitude.

I hope Slash performs the extended Rocket Queen version like he did with Conspirators. Heck I wouldn´t be surprised if Slash owns the shows. I don´t expect to see and hear the 2006 Axl at all.

Anyway how you guys know that This I love is from old GNR?

"This I Love' is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the 'Illusion' records. I like that song a lot.. it took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes, because they finished recording 'Use Your Illusions' on the road and one tape was in Paris, another in London, and another in Sydney, I believe." (Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 04/21/05)

He also played little bits of on the piano on the tour.

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?pid=53909#p53909

• Like 2

I haven't posted on here in like 10 years Ha, but I figured I'd weigh in my opinion again...

I was listening to Chinese Democracy for the first time last night in probably 5 years and it reminded me of how beautiful "This I Love" is. I know its Axl's masterpiece, but the song SCREAMS Slash.

Thinking about this in terms of its lengthily production; while listening closely with the rest of the album in mind, I swear I can hear young Axl in parts of the song... especially in the chorus... and man, what a voice!

I would love to hear the demos of this from '93 when GNR was still GNR, and I would absolutely love to hear what Slash did / could do with the song.

Did Axl have this song back then?

Edit: nevermind, I see this is being discussed already

This I Love lyrics are horrid and pure horse shit. That said, Axl performance of the song in 2010 was fucking flawless. His voice and the piano key parts combined have always been a perfect combo. Now, if you add Slash melodic solos to it... damn, use your imagination.

For example, I have always been a fan of Dust In The Wind, the cover Axl and Slash performed together in 1993. Great example of what the combination of the two isolated could be.

You have a link to the 2010 performance you are talking about?

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

Did Axl have this song back then?

Edit: nevermind, I see this is being discussed already

You have a link to the 2010 performance you are talking about?

i like the one in bucharest, maybe he's talking about that one..?

• Like 1

I'll try to be objective here: I love Robin's This I Love this solo. That guitar sings. But given the fact this is Slash we're talking about. and an Axl ballad from like 1993 or earlier, it will probably sound great after a few attempts from Slash, and I'd like to hear it. I still want to hear Robin perform his solo live.

I'd be down. I'd like to hear Slash's take on Catcher, TIL, SOD and Prostitute. Just keep him well away from Better and TWAT.

I don't wanna hear Slash on shitty songs like Catcher and SOD. Better is fine how it is and while TWAT has this amazing guitarwork from Bucket I would like to hear Slash's take on it because I think he would turn it into a real rock n' roll song.

As well as cut all that samples and quotes out of the song snd let Slash handle lead guitar on Madagascar snd it could be a classic.

Edited by Free Bird

I don't wanna hear Slash on shitty songs like Catcher and SOD.

This.

If Axl and Slash will be working together from now on, they do not need to waste their time together on shitty songs.

No they don' need tot but they've already wasted 20 years apart. What's to say they won't waste time now that they're together again? :lol:

Common sense? Get outta here!

Edited by CheapJon

• 4 weeks later...

This I love was written  around 1992-1995  - I have the magazine where  Axl talks about it being the heaviest lyrics he has ever wrote- and Slash played a beautiful solo to it- the article was talking about the follow up to UYI albums and Guns were in the studio  prior to the breakup - Yes I have been a huge fan for a long time

Edited by iceman51999

On January 9, 2016 at 11:42 PM, AtariLegend said:

"This I Love' is actually an old GN'R song that the original GN'R wrote and recorded for the 'Illusion' records. I like that song a lot.. it took a couple of weeks to find all the tapes, because they finished recording 'Use Your Illusions' on the road and one tape was in Paris, another in London, and another in Sydney, I believe." (Dave Dominguez, Sp1at, 04/21/05)

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say that counts as playing parts of it live - I really can't make anything out that sounds like TIL other than the bit around 0:33 which has the same melody as the first line of the verses. That's kind of like saying when Bumblefoot quoted like 7 notes from Estranged in his Pink Panther Theme, that counted as him playing Estranged. Not nearly as clear cut as when Axl played the piano bits of Prostitute in his 2002 solos, for example. 

On 09/01/2016 at 4:42 AM, AtariLegend said:

He really should have gone solo. Before he left GNR it was more of a possibility, and it's a damn shame, because I would love a piano driven album from him. Slash said he would've played on any solo material, same as he did with Duff and others. It would have been good for Axl imo.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On December 31, 2015 at 1:12 PM, Nosaj Thing said:

I love the little discoveries I'm making in this forum! I had never heard of this cover and I'd love to hear it! Does anyone have the link to it?

On February 3, 2016 at 6:07 AM, Babooshka said:

He really should have gone solo. Before he left GNR it was more of a possibility, and it's a damn shame, because I would love a piano driven album from him. Slash said he would've played on any solo material, same as he did with Duff and others. It would have been good for Axl imo.

I'm all for that!! 

• Like 1