Best Live Rolling Stones (from the Mick Taylor era)?

foghat43

In a strange way I think the true genius of the stones from that period is heard on the boots (or live if you were lucky enough). As much as I love Exile and Let it Bleed, there is a side of me which thinks, put them away and listen to Liver Then You'll Ever Be or Perth/Sydney '73. There is simply not enough superlatives to describe the live Stones during that period.

I find this to be true with most bands. They rarely can capture the power of their music in the studio which is why I basically only listen to live bootlegs these days of my favorite bands..........

As far as the Stones are concerned nothing tops the 1969 tour IMHO if you want to understand their genius.............

The Stones sound much more "hard rock"-ish (for lack of a better term to decribe it) when listening to them live...for example, the live versions of "Bitch" seem to rock much harder than the studio version IMO. I'm better able to understand the influnece of the Stones on GnR after listening to these boots. But even more than that, I have a rekindled admiration for the Stones. Can't wait to explore more of these great live shows.

The Zeppelin stuff is great also...I listened to the Osaka '71 show last night. Was pleasantly surprised to hear a great live version of one of my favorite Zep tunes...Tangerine. Awesome show.

It's funny...when I'm listening to the Stones boots, I'm thinking "wow, this is the greatest live band ever!"...but then when I listen to the Zep boots, I'm thinking "wow, this is the greatest live band ever!"...so I guess it's a tie for me...love them both.

Yeah the 71 Osaka Zep show is a favorite of mine and most of it is excellent quality. Too bad the taper got spooked and kept turning off the recoder at times

So how go you find the sound quality of the shows I recommended? I know you prefer the quality of the official releases but are these boots of acceptable sound quality for your taste? If you do like them then there are a lot of high quality bootlegs I think you would dig...

unfortunately there are no a lot of SB quality Stones shows from the Mick Taylor era but there are some very good audience recordings.......there are about a half a dozen partial SB's from thee Stones 72 tour but they are just average quality at best.

Zep on the other hand has a nice selection of SB quality shows especially from the 73/75/77 tours most of which you can listen to on the youtube channel I posted.

Let me know if you have any other questions about boots and enjoy!

Edited by classicrawker

In a strange way I think the true genius of the stones from that period is heard on the boots (or live if you were lucky enough). As much as I love Exile and Let it Bleed, there is a side of me which thinks, put them away and listen to Liver Then You'll Ever Be or Perth/Sydney '73. There is simply not enough superlatives to describe the live Stones during that period.

I find this to be true with most bands. They rarely can capture the power of their music in the studio which is why I basically only listen to live bootlegs these days of my favorite bands..........

As far as the Stones are concerned nothing tops the 1969 tour IMHO if you want to understand their genius.............

The Stones sound much more "hard rock"-ish (for lack of a better term to decribe it) when listening to them live...for example, the live versions of "Bitch" seem to rock much harder than the studio version IMO. I'm better able to understand the influnece of the Stones on GnR after listening to these boots. But even more than that, I have a rekindled admiration for the Stones. Can't wait to explore more of these great live shows.

The Zeppelin stuff is great also...I listened to the Osaka '71 show last night. Was pleasantly surprised to hear a great live version of one of my favorite Zep tunes...Tangerine. Awesome show.

It's funny...when I'm listening to the Stones boots, I'm thinking "wow, this is the greatest live band ever!"...but then when I listen to the Zep boots, I'm thinking "wow, this is the greatest live band ever!"...so I guess it's a tie for me...love them both.

Yeah the 71 Osaka Zep show is a favorite of mine and most of it is excellent quality. Too bad the taper got spooked and kept turning off the recoder at times

So how go you find the sound quality of the shows I recommended? I know you prefer the quality of the official releases but are these boots of acceptable sound quality for your taste? If you do like them then there are a lot of high quality bootlegs I think you would dig...

unfortunately there are no a lot of SB quality Stones shows from the Mick Taylor era but there are some very good audience recordings.......there are about a half a dozen partial SB's from thee Stones 72 tour but they are just average quality at best.

Zep on the other hand has a nice selection of SB quality shows especially from the 73/75/77 tours most of which you can listen to on the youtube channel I posted.

Let me know if you have any other questions about boots and enjoy!

I still prefer the sound quality of the official releases. However, from what I have sampled so far, the sound quality is not bad on the boots that you have suggested. But it is somewhat hit and miss. For example, on the Osaka show there is some kind of loud noise (drum cymbals?) during Jimmy’s solo on Stairway to Heaven…it’s very distracting. But overall the sound quality is more than acceptable and certainly not bad enough to deter me from listening to these boots.

I had a negative experience with bootlegs a few years ago, so I think that tainted my opinion of them. I became somewhat obsessed with Page’s No Quarter solo from the live version on the TSRTS album. So I went on a quest to find the best live version of that solo. That song evolved significantly over the years…especially JPJ’s piano/organ part…so I ended up downloading many versions of No Quarter from different shows/years. For the most part, the sound quality of those boots was really bad and I also ended up introducing a virus into my computer. And then after all the time spent researching shows/boots, looking at websites, downloading, listening to bad sound, and then the virus…it was all for nothing…I discovered that I still preferred the version of the solo on TSRTS and still do to this day (even though I realize it is pieces of solos from different nights that are patched together). So my first experience with bootlegs was a negative one.

But now having the info that you’ve provided…it’s definitely motivated me to start exploring boots again and give them another chance.

So thanks again for all the great info, video links and websites. I will let you know if I have questions.

Edited by foghat43

• 2 weeks later...

So...are there any live albums or boots from the Ron Woods era that come anywhere close to the quality of the music they were cranking out during the Mick Taylor years, or is it all garbage after he left? Other than "Some Girls", I'm not really that crazy about any of their studio output with Ron. And I realize that Ron is no where near the guitar player that Mick was, but I keep reading about this "ancient art of weaving"...some kind of magic/chemistry between the guitars of Ronnie and Keith (that apparently did not exist between Keith and Taylor?)...what's that all about...and where can I hear it? ;)

Edited by foghat43

So...are there any live albums or boots from the Ron Woods era that come anywhere close to the quality of the music they were cranking out during the Mick Taylor years, or is it all garbage after he left? Other than "Some Girls", I'm not really that crazy about any of their studio output with Ron. And I realize that Ron is no where near the guitar player that Mick was, but I keep reading about this "ancient art of weaving"...some kind of magic/chemistry between the guitars of Ronnie and Keith (that apparently did not exist between Keith and Taylor?)...what's that all about...and where can I hear it? ;)

Oh it is wonderful when you hear it. You can actually first hear it during the Brian Jones era; the two of them developed it by listening to Jimmy Reed records. You can hear it on ''It's All Over Now'', ''Little By Little'', ''What A Shame'', et al.

On the subject of live albums from the era you mention, there are too many bad and unnecessary Stones live albums; and this has got nothing to do with Ronnie really, and a lot more to the production and the fact they were a stadium band at this stage, checking in performances. Love You Live, Still Life and Flashpoint are all a bit naff really. The first one is the pick.

From the archival stuff, my favourite Ron Wood show is Some Girls: Live in Texas '78. It is a DVD or Blu-Ray but it includes a CD of the show with the film. It is an incredible show - Jagger in particular is on fire. Buy that. I didn't care for L.A Friday (1975) which is a DVD and digital download. That is the tour with the inflatable penis! It was good however to hear the Billy Preston numbers and 'Fingerprint File'. My least favourite period for Stones shows is in the early '80s. There are official archive stuff from this period (Hampton Coliseum '81, Leeds '82). A lot of Stones fans love these two shows but I find them a bit embarrassing; all of their classic songs seem speeded-up and there are football field lengths of space dividing the band-members.

The Stones have actually been a much better touring band since they resumed touring in 1989. I quite like all of the DVDs, At the Max, Miami '94, St Louis '97. They are all good really.

There are some very good Woody era shows especially pre 82. I will try to link you some this weekend when I have time...........

• Like 1

O.K. I finally had a few mminutes so here are some Woody era shows in decent quality

The Stone played 3 nights in Paris in 76. Keef's son died on the 6th of SIDS and this show is from the 7th. Mick wanted to cancel the show but Keef insisted it go on. He was very focused that night and you can hear the anguish in his playing. All the shows were video taped for French TV and there are excellent boots out there on the audio and video.

SOme video of the show from June 5th show

The official 1975 LA show is excellent sound quality and I think it gets a bum rap as far as performance is concerned. unfortunately I could not find the whole show on youtube as I think Eagle Rock is blocking it but this is a good song from the show

There are several SB boots form the 78 tour. The boys could be ragged at times but I think the official Handsome Girls release is fantastic very raw sounding Stones which reminds me of the 73 Australia tour shows. The playing just on the edge of flying apart.

Here is the Ft Worth show the band finally released officially but in all honesty I think the bootleg sounds better as it we liberated from the King Biscuit vault

Here is the 78 Detroit Wolfgangs Vault boot

And here is the 78 NJ show. Legend has it a fan nicked the cassettes from the SB when the crew was not looking

The 1981 tour is very polarizing with fans. It seems you either love it or hate it. I personally love that tour as I like the setlist and there are a ton of SB recordings to enjoy. Rumour has it that an American collector acquired the SB recordings for every U.S. show that tour and a large number leaked to the collecting community.

Personally I still think the Hampton PPV show is one of the best of the tour

Here is a SB from the 1981 Kansas City show where Mick Taylor joined the band early in the show and would not leave the stage so they played most of the show with 3 guitars. unfortunately it is hard to pick our Mick T. but he is there. There is an audience recording where you can hear him better.

At one point Jagger comments "It is a Guitar Onslaught" evidently Mick T pissed off either Mick or Keef and he was not invited back to play with them until the recent tours

As far as the post 1989/90 shows there are tons of excellent SB's and performances.

I really like the Atlantic City PPV as it is well played, an excellent set list and has great guest including Axl and Izzy on "Salt of the Earth"

Could not find the complete show but Rambler is excellent

And of course here is Salt of the Earth. I have read Axl did not show up for rehearsals or was late which pissed off Mick Jagger so he came up with the wiseass tattoo story before the song

Here is another excellent show from 95, Brixton Acedeny, and a Stones Fan holy grail for a long time which finally showed up on boot several years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSvJJfe6RyQ

There are too many excellent sounding post 2000 shows to choose from but for recent shows I think the Glastonbury Faire show was stellar. I can't find the complete concert but thought you might enjoy the song with Mick T. I think this show blows away the official Hyde Park show. Only part of the show was broadcast on the BBC live but some technically savvy fan was able to grab the raw satellite feed so there are official quality video and audio bootlegs available

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2rccaoe3Jj8bEpZeHdYQklZb2M/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Like I said there are tons of post 89 high quality SB recordings and even Audience recordings which are stellar. all you need to do is pick a date search youtube.

Edited by classicrawker

I hate the early '80s shows - well maybe hate is a strong word but the site of Jagger in American football spandex pants doing that stupid dance to Brown Sugar is enough to stay clear. I thought they were much better on the Urban Jungle/Steel Wheels tour, and beyond.

12th June 1999 is a good gig. Good audience boot,

http://dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=156

I hate the early '80s shows - well maybe hate is a strong word but the site of Jagger in American football spandex pants doing that stupid dance to Brown Sugar is enough to stay clear. I thought they were much better on the Urban Jungle/Steel Wheels tour, and beyond.

12th June 1999 is a good gig. Good audience boot,

http://dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=156

like I said the 81/82 tour was polarizing but it was the last small band tour and I would take it over any of the post 1989 Vegas big band tours and especially the stiff 89/90 SW/UJ tours. I was never a big fan of those tours as the band and especially Jagger were too stiff and choreographed for my taste. they became more about the business and less about the music...

I still enjoy the post 89 tours but nowhere near as much as the earlier tours........IMHO the 81/82 tour was the end of era for the Stones

The Stones starting speeding up the song tempo with the 72 tour........ and they did not have football distance between themselves every show as they played arenas as well. Go watch the Hampton PPV... no football distances in that show or any arena show......the big distance issue could be said for any Stadium show of which they played a lot of post 89. In fact as the post 89 tours progressed the slower the song tempos seemed to get to the point where for me at least they lost their balls but this is JMO......

Listen I am not going to argue the merits of the 81/82 tours with you as you obviously don't care for them which is fine as there is no right or wrong here.... too each his own....... :shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker

• 3 months later...

Besides DVD stuff this is what I have thus far,

Oakland '69 (Liver Than You'll Ever Be)

Boston '69

Leeds '71 (Leeds Lungs)

Texas '72

Rubber Bowl '72

Philadelphia '72

Sydney '73 (both nights)

Perth '73

Brussels Affair '73

Anything missing? I do not seem to have those Parisian radio shows from 1970.

PS

Perth was at the WACA!

Edited by DieselDaisy

• 2 weeks later...