Best Live Rolling Stones (from the Mick Taylor era)?

foghat43

I realize that there are numerous bootlegs or DVDs from the Mick Taylor era, but unless I have overlooked something we only have these 4 official audio (CD) releases:

1) Get Yer Ya Yas Out (1969) - original and reissue with bonus material

2) Live at the Roundhouse (1971) - 5 songs released as bonus material on the most recent deluxe reissue of Sticky Fingers

3) Live at Leeds University (1971) - 13 songs released as bonus material on the most recent deluxe reissue of Sticky Fingers

4) Archives/From the Vault (1971) - The Marquee Club 1971 - 8 songs

A couple of questions for Stones fans about the official releases...

- Any official CD releases (not DVD/BR or bootlegs) of Mick Taylor era live stuff that I am overlooking?

- Of the four that I mentioned above, which do you prefer and why?

And one general question...

Of the Mick Taylor era (and now using everything available...official releases, bootlegs, DVD/BRs, personal experience of shows that you atteneded, etc.), which year/tour do you prefer the Stones (as a live band) and why? I know from reading other forums that some folks really like 1973 (e.g. the Brussels Affair) and consider it the best year, but then others don't like the "coked" up tempo of '73 and prefer earlier tours. From what I have heard, I think I like '72 the best, but unfortunately there are no official CD releases from that year...yet.

Thank you!

The Brussels Affair was released officially on digital. Well, it seems to be a bit more complicated than that - there does seem to be an expensive physical version. See for yourself,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Affair_(Live_1973)

I still own my bootleg version with extra tracks from Newcastle City Hall et al places.

You are also forgetting Hyde Park, Ladies and Gentleman and Gimmie Shelter DVDs. There are bootleg audios of those concerts but I expect you could just stick Ladies and Gentleman on a player hooked to a decent hi-fi and there is your '72 show. Cocksucker Blues also has some clips but it can only be attained on bootleg.

And that about covers it - I think!

I have a lot of Stones boots from this period. The essential one to get, not included in what is discussed above, is Live'r Than You'll Ever Be from Oakland, 1969. It is soundboard; I believe it is one of those occasions where the band recorded a live album but never released it, only for the bootleggers to capitalise. I also have some excellent stuff from the Australian tour 1973, Perth and Sydney specifically. I have two separate bootlegs so it is a bit confusing as one of them covers both shows and one of them is just one, but those were two spell-binding shows. Hunt out boots for them.

I could not really say which year I prefer. I love the Goats Head Soup stuff live, Mick Taylor being all over those songs, so I tentatively might say 1973 but there were some many excellent shows from 1969-1972. I quite like the smaller set up with Bobby Keys and Price from '71 (which you see on the Marquee '71 show). Basically the Stones were peaking throughout that whole period and were jaw-dropping. They were a bit ropey at Hyde Park though, Jagger in a tutu!!

PS

Here is a good link,

This is a bootleg/concert database. It takes a bit getting used to but once you do, it is indispensable,

http://dbboots.com/index.php

Also keep an eye on IORR. Those chaps are very helpful if you want bootlegs.

Edited by DieselDaisy

For official releases you forgot Hype Park 69 and Gimme Shelter 69 tour documentary on Dvd/ Bluray and Brussels 73 on CD........

Personally I prefer the 1969 tour as it was Taylor's first and the bands first real US tour since 65 so I feel they were still not as jadedas later tours.

I also think you hit the nail on the head regarding pacing as I love the pacing of the songs in 69 and felt 71 -73 they rushedsome songs.

The Brussels Affair was released officially on digital. Well, it seems to be a bit more complicated than that - there does seem to be an expensive physical version. See for yourself,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brussels_Affair_(Live_1973)

I still own my bootleg version with extra tracks from Newcastle City Hall et al places.

You are also forgetting Hyde Park, Ladies and Gentleman and Gimmie Shelter DVDs. There are bootleg audios of those concerts but I expect you could just stick Ladies and Gentleman on a player hooked to a decent hi-fi and there is your '72 show. Cocksucker Blues also has some clips but it can only be attained on bootleg.

And that about covers it - I think!

I have a lot of Stones boots from this period. The essential one to get, not included in what is discussed above, is Live'r Than You'll Ever Be from Oakland, 1969. It is soundboard; I believe it is one of those occasions where the band recorded a live album but never released it, only for the bootleggers to capitalise. I also have some excellent stuff from the Australian tour 1973, Perth and Sydney specifically. I have two separate bootlegs so it is a bit confusing as one of them covers both shows and one of them is just one, but those were two spell-binding shows. Hunt out boots for them.

I could not really say which year I prefer. I love the Goats Head Soup stuff live, Mick Taylor being all over those songs, so I tentatively might say 1973 but there were some many excellent shows from 1969-1972. I quite like the smaller set up with Bobby Keys and Price from '71 (which you see on the Marquee '71 show). Basically the Stones were peaking throughout that whole period and were jaw-dropping. They were a bit ropey at Hyde Park though, Jagger in a tutu!!

PS

Here is a good link,

This is a bootleg/concert database. It takes a bit getting used to but once you do, it is indispensable,

http://dbboots.com/index.php

Also keep an eye on IORR. Those chaps are very helpful if you want bootlegs.

Good call on the Ladies and Gentlemen video as I forgot that one and is a must have for any Stone fan.

The "Liver Than You'll Ever Be" 1969 Oakland, evening show, bootleg was not a soundboard but an amazing audience recording. The people who recorded it actually recorded several shows that tour, including San Diego and Phoenix, but decided to release the Oakland show as it was the best quality. The bootleg was reviewed by Rolling Stones Magazine and so freaked out the Stones camp that it pushed them to release the "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" Live album which was not completely live as there were guitar overdubs and Mick Jagger redid some of the vocals as well.

Here is an excellent website which gives you more info on the recording and other Stones info.

http://www.rollingstonesnet.com/Liver_LP.html

There is actually a partial SB recording of that Oakland show that the promoter Bill Graham did which was broadcast on a San Francisco radio station back in 1970 which is rather good and worth a search for as a bootleg. Graham was notorious for secretly taping the audio and even video of many of the concerts he promoted without the artists permission and those recordings are the basis for the Wolfgangs Vault website.

I have this one which I think is quite good but I read there are better versions available

http://www.dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=415

I also highly recommend these radio show recordings from the Stones 1970 European tour as they are about 9 months after the 69 tour and while the band playing is very similar you can see them growing together and the music is tighter than the 69 tour but still has not been sped up like later tours.

I have this boot which is excellent IMHO

http://www.dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=3430

Edited by classicrawker

The Brussels Affair was at one time available as a download on the Stones website, but it no longer is (at least not in the US). There is a reasonably priced ($28) Japanese CD version on Amazon, but I’m a little wary of purchasing this since it is not an “official” release. The limited edition box sets that were once available from the official archive series is no longer available at a reasonable price…for example, there is one on Amazon for $900. I don’t want it that bad. So Brussels is not an option for me.

I haven’t really delved into the whole bootleg thing. I have watched and listened to several Stones bootlegs on youtube. But as far as owning any…quite frankly, I don’t understand the legalities of downloading bootlegs on the internet and am not aware of anywhere locally that I can purchase physical copies. Also, of the bootlegs that I do have (all Zeppelin, no Stones at this point), the sound quality is bad so I prefer the official releases (e.g. How the West Was Won, TSRTS, BBC). I would love to better understand the legalities of downloading boots from the internet and/or purchasing physical copies if anyone cares to shed any light on that. I need a Bootleg 101 course because I’m sure I would love exploring all the boots out there, but I just really don’t know how or where to begin…or how to do it without getting in trouble?

Also, as I mentioned in my original post…I’m not really interested in DVDs. I prefer CDs. So this removes the Hyde Park, Ladies and Gentleman and Gimmie Shelter DVDs from my options. Is there a way to take the audio from a DVD and burn it to a CD? Sorry if that is a dumb question…I am technologically challenged…and still listen to CDs in my car.

So I believe if we limited the scope of the discussion to only the official CD releases that are still readily available at a reasonable price…we are left with only these four (below)…correct?

2) Live at the Roundhouse (1971) - 5 songs released as bonus material on the most recent deluxe reissue of Sticky Fingers

3) Live at Leeds University (1971) - 13 songs released as bonus material on the most recent deluxe reissue of Sticky Fingers

Of these 4, which do you prefer?

I already have the original Sticky Fingers (Virgin remastered version). Is it worth buying a CD that I already have just to get the Leeds and Roundhouse bonus material? (I’ve read several comments/reviews stating that the remastering is horrible on the most recent reissues that contain the bonus concert material).

Edited by foghat43

The Brussels Affair was at one time available as a download on the Stones website, but it no longer is (at least not in the US). There is a reasonably priced ($28) Japanese CD version on Amazon, but I’m a little wary of purchasing this since it is not an “official” release. The limited edition box sets that were once available from the official archive series is no longer available at a reasonable price…for example, there is one on Amazon for $900. I don’t want it that bad. So Brussels is not an option for me.

I haven’t really delved into the whole bootleg thing. I have watched and listened to several Stones bootlegs on youtube. But as far as owning any…quite frankly, I don’t understand the legalities of downloading bootlegs on the internet and am not aware of anywhere locally that I can purchase physical copies. Also, of the bootlegs that I do have (all Zeppelin, no Stones at this point), the sound quality is bad so I prefer the official releases (e.g. How the West Was Won, TSRTS, BBC). I would love to better understand the legalities of downloading boots from the internet and/or purchasing physical copies if anyone cares to shed any light on that. I need a Bootleg 101 course because I’m sure I would love exploring all the boots out there, but I just really don’t know how or where to begin…or how to do it without getting in trouble?

Also, as I mentioned in my original post…I’m not really interested in DVDs. I prefer CDs. So this removes the Hyde Park, Ladies and Gentleman and Gimmie Shelter DVDs from my options. Is there a way to take the audio from a DVD and burn it to a CD? Sorry if that is a dumb question…I am technologically challenged…and still listen to CDs in my car.

So I believe if we limited the scope of the discussion to only the official CD releases that are still readily available at a reasonable price…we are left with only these four (below)…correct?

I already have the original Sticky Fingers (Virgin remastered version). Is it worth buying a CD that I already have just to get the Leeds and Roundhouse bonus material? (I’ve read several comments/reviews stating that the remastering is horrible on the most recent reissues that contain the bonus concert material).

You can get all the Archive downloads on bootleg CD's and they are perfect copies of the downloads so you will get a perfect copy of the Brussels show or less than $30 US.

I have the Deluxe Sticky Fingers and the Leeds and Roundhouse shows sound fantastic...Not sure were you read the mastering was bad on the new deluxe releases but I take that opinion with a grain of salt personally.

Bootlegs are legal in Japan and in fact they are sold in real stores over there that specialize in them. I beleive as long as the store sells offical releases they can sell bootlegs. I buy them all the time and have them shipped from Japan to my house no problem.

I understand you prefer offical release quality but you should be aware that that most offical live albums have been sweetened in the studion with over dubs,

For the Mick Taylor era there are few SB boots that may appeal to your taste sound quality wise but there are several from the 1972 and 73 tours which rival official release quality.

And sounds like you are a Zeppelin fan and theere are a lot of bootlegs out there hich rival offical relaeases sound quality wise you would most likely love.......

You can get all the Archive downloads on bootleg CD's and they are perfect copies of the downloads so you will get a perfect copy of the Brussels show or less than $30 US.

I have the Deluxe Sticky Fingers and the Leeds and Roundhouse shows sound fantastic...Not sure were you read the mastering was bad on the new deluxe releases but I take that opinion with a grain of salt personally.

Bootlegs are legal in Japan and in fact they are sold in real stores over there that specialize in them. I beleive as long as the store sells offical releases they can sell bootlegs. I buy them all the time and have them shipped from Japan to my house no problem.

I understand you prefer offical release quality but you should be aware that that most offical live albums have been sweetened in the studion with over dubs,

For the Mick Taylor era there are few SB boots that may appeal to your taste sound quality wise but there are several from the 1972 and 73 tours which rival official release quality.

And sounds like you are a Zeppelin fan and theere are a lot of bootlegs out there hich rival offical relaeases sound quality wise you would most likely love.......

So the Brussels Affair CD which is available on Amazon is actually a Japanese bootleg?

http://www.amazon.com/Brussels-Affair-Rolling-Stones/dp/B0055LMEPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1451695861&sr=1-1&keywords=rolling+stones+brussels+affair

And what about some of the websites where you can download bootlegs for free (I've come across one for Zeppelin, not sure about the Stones)? Are those legal/safe?

Can you provide some specific examples of Zep and Stones bootlegs from great shows and with sound quality that rivals the official releases?

Thanks!

Of course, what was I thinking! If you are concerned about copyright infringement, just download the official Brussels Affair from their website and plonk it on a disc. This is perfectly legal (in must countries) as you have bought it and it is yours to keep, as long as you just use it for private consumption.

The laws on bootlegs changes from country-to-country. I know Spain, Portugal and Italy have had very liberal laws. I remember being shocked seeing bootlegs in racks in Barcelona alongside official releases. Britain and US have traditionally had strict copyright laws. The problem is, with the onset of online downloading, the whole system has just collapsed and it is now an open market. As a law it has basically become unenforceable. In a way that is why more and more bands are releasing official bootlegs like the stones releases discussed. The bands have thought, ''well, there is no way we can control this so we may as well get in on the act''.

Of course, what was I thinking! If you are concerned about copyright infringement, just download the official Brussels Affair from their website and plonk it on a disc. This is perfectly legal (in must countries) as you have bought it and it is yours to keep, as long as you just use it for private consumption.

The laws on bootlegs changes from country-to-country. I know Spain, Portugal and Italy have had very liberal laws. I remember being shocked seeing bootlegs in racks in Barcelona alongside official releases. Britain and US have traditionally had strict copyright laws. The problem is, with the onset of online downloading, the whole system has just collapsed and it is now an open market. As a law it has basically become unenforceable. In a way that is why more and more bands are releasing official bootlegs like the stones releases discussed. The bands have thought, ''well, there is no way we can control this so we may as well get in on the act''.

Unfortunately the official Brussels Affair MP3 download from the Stones website is no longer available in the US. The only thing that I have found is a Japanese bootleg on Amazon for $28.

Unfortunately the official Brussels Affair MP3 download from the Stones website is no longer available in the US. The only thing that I have found is a Japanese bootleg on Amazon for $28.

Whoops, just saw your earlier post that it is no longer available. The Stones really need to amend that and release a physical copy. But theoretically, any official digital release is yours to burn if this ever crops up in the future. I do not know why they have not put it out?

It depends on what country you are in but if it is either Britain or America, technically they are illegal. Nobody however is going to prosecute you, or even care much that you are doing it. Proper bootlegs (silver discs cds) can be bought on amazon market place and ebay if you scout hard enough. The traditional method was to buy them at record fairs. A lot of bootlegs have great packaging and are made by genuine fans as a labour of love; people still collect these. The fact they can be found on places like amazon shows how open it is! You have no worries there.

With online downloading bootlegs are easy to download and create dupes. Nobody will care if you are downloading some Stones bootleg from 1973 and burning it to cdr, but there is always an element of danger with viruses (you need an up to date antivirus). The way people download now is by something called torrents. It is a sort of techy question - as is your one about ripping the dvds (yes you can do it). You need to install certain programs. As I said, it is techy - I do not know how far you wish to pursue it in a stones thread?

Leeds is the most complete show, and the Stones were on absolute fire, so it has to be that, although I do have a certain fondness for the Marquee show because it was the last show they did in Britain before becoming tax exiles and they play 'I Got the Blues' and 'Let it Rock'. Ya Yas has studio overdubs so I cannot choose that, but I still love it; it is still one of the 'great live albums'. Roundhouse is a bit short.

The Virgin remasters (from 1994) are much better than the newer Universal remasters. Bob Ludwig (who did Chinese Democracy) did the mastering. Everyone agrees the new ones sound compressed. Unfortunately you sort have have to buy them if you want the bonus tracks. I have the new Exile with the second disc of bonus material. I switched disc one with my old virgin remaster and put it in storage (I may as well fling it!).

Edited by DieselDaisy

So the Brussels Affair CD which is available on Amazon is actually a Japanese bootleg?

http://www.amazon.com/Brussels-Affair-Rolling-Stones/dp/B0055LMEPI/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1451695861&sr=1-1&keywords=rolling+stones+brussels+affair

And what about some of the websites where you can download bootlegs for free (I've come across one for Zeppelin, not sure about the Stones)? Are those legal/safe?

Can you provide some specific examples of Zep and Stones bootlegs from great shows and with sound quality that rivals the official releases?

Thanks!

That is a copy of a bootleg that was originally was released on the Rattlesnake bootleg label in the 1990's. I own the original silver disc bootleg and it is SB quality but is not the same as the official download. In fact it is nice to have as it has some songs not on the official release as the Stones played 2 shows that day. The boot you linked to contains songs from the first show while the official download is mostly from the 2nd show so both are worth owning.

I would be careful buying the one off of Amazon as it may be a CDR copy of the Rattlesnake bootleg.

There is a Japanese boot label, Empress Valley, has been releasing Led Zeppelin soundboard recordings for concerts from the 1975 tour which are fantastic. Rumour has it the tapes are coming from a member of the light and sound company, Showco, that was hired by Zep on that tour.....I will recommend some Zep and Stones boots when I have time tommorrow...

Edited by classicrawker

To be fair, recording equipment wasn't up to par at the time. So studio overdubs help fill in what the mics weren't able to pick up.

The Ya Ya's album did not need the overdubs but they wanted to fix mistakes and Jagger did not like his vocals so redid a bunch of them. Ya Ya's was made from the three 1969 MSG, NYC shows. one on the 27th and two on the 28th

I have an audience recording of two of the MSG shows, there is no known audience tape of the early show on the 28th, and based on listening to them I don't see the need for the overdubs. But then again most live albums have been sweetened in the studio. This is why I prefer bootlegs.......

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

Here are some suggested shows from the Stones and Zeppelin. The recordings are not a slickly produced as the official releases so I am not sure if you will like them but they are professional recordings for the most part

Rolling Stones

1. 11/9/69 Oakland 2nd show: This is from the infamous "Liver Then You'll Everr Be" bootleg show which was an excellent audience recording. There is also a partial mono SB of this show which is very good but this is the only clip I can find. I have this boot and it is excellent IMHO. Bill Graham used to secretly record the artists for the concerts he promoted and this tape is from his archive which is now Wolfgangs Vault. This tape was broadcast on a San Francisco FM station in 1970 but it is only part of the show

http://www.giginjapan.com/scan114/rolling-stones-69oakland.htm

2. 9/23/70 Paris: there are tapes of 2 shows that were broadcast on French radio. Not Ya Ya quality but very Good IMHO

3. 7/26/72 MSG, NYC: There is partial tape said to be the raw mix for the offical live album that never happened. Legend has it a Stones associate sold the tape to a bootlegger backstage at a concert. Worth finding a boot as this is awesome sound

4. Australia 73 SB boots

a.2/24/73 Perth:

b.2/27/73 Sydney

Led Zeppelin

1. 8/31/69 Texas pop Festival SB

2. 4/27/69 Filllmore West: A mix of SB and audience but such a good show

4. 1/9/70 Royal Albert Hall: You are familiar with the DVD of the show but there are a number of boots with the almost complete audio in similar audio quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohsUDR7otk&list=PLiEZ9LQoMtiWgd2LukE9vR6zXvcGLDE5h

Here is one example................... http://www.giginjapan.com/scan235/led-zeppelin-royal.htm

5. 9/29/71 Osaka: Mostly SB or excellent audience with some audience tape used to fill gaps. Legend has it the taper was in the first row and had to keep shutting of the recorder when Peter Grant was searching the audience for tapers which is why there are a number of gaps in the recording. Legendary show.

6. 1/22/73 Southhampton: This show was show was recorded for a live album supposedly to be the "How The West Was Won" release but was rejected by Jimmy due to technical glitches and he was not happy with the performance. Great sounding show rumoured to be from the multitracks Kevin Shirley was mixing that somehow leaked. Some have speculated that think Jimmy himself might have leaked it to thee bootlegggers.

7. 2/12/75 MSG NYC: This is one of the many SB tapes that are supposedly from the ShowCo person who worked the 75 tour. It is the best of the SB tapes released so far IMHO but there are many other SB's from this tour just as good. Personal trivia, I was supposed to go to this show but there was a blizzard that day and the trains were not running so I could not get to NYC that night....never got to see them live....Here is part of the show. You can find the rest on the tube.

8. 6/7/77 MSG NY: This is a fantastic sounding SB supposedly from the same source as the 75 SB tapes. One of the better 1977 shows IMHO. There are a number of other 77 SB's including all 4- Landover shows on bootleg

9. 6/21/77 Los Angeles: This is a copy of the famous "Listen To This Eddie" bootleg recorded by legendary taper Mike Millard (RIP). Maybe not your taste as it is audience but it is one of the most well known Zep bootlegs and an amazing audience recording

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cenQydvbpu8

There are a lot of great boots out there so I just picked some of my favorites I thought you might like. You can find clips of just about every bootleg you might be interested in on youtube so you can sample them to see if you like them.

Here are some great websites to research bootlegs

1.This site also has a link to show you all the SB recordings for Led Zep

http://www.bootledz.com/comparisons.htm

2. Another great site which lists all the various tapes for boots. Also has a nice write up on the origin of bootlegs and the different labels

http://www.argenteumastrum.com/

Some sites with reviews

http://www.collectorsmusicreviews.com/

http://www.uuweb.led-zeppelin.us/

http://www.hotwacks.com/database/publish/

https://www.iorr.org/cd/index.htm

Hope this helps..............

Edit: fixed some of the links and added some I missed

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

Here are some suggested shows from the Stones and Zeppelin. The recordings are not a slickly produced as the official releases so I am not sure if you will like them but they are professional recordings for the most part

Rolling Stones

1. 11/9/69 Oakland 2nd show: This is from the infamous "Liver Then You'll Everr Be" bootleg show which was an excellent audience recording. There is also a partial mono SB of this show which is very good but this is the only clip I can find. I have this boot and it is excellent IMHO. Bill Graham used to secretly record the artists for the concerts he promoted and this tape is from his archive which is now Wolfgangs Vault. This tape was broadcast on a San Francisco FM station in 1970 but it is only part of the show

2. 9/23/70 Paris: there are tapes of 2 shows that were broadcast on French radio. Not Ya Ya quality but very Good IMHO

3. 7/26/72 MSG, NYC: There is partial tape said to be the raw mix for the offical live album that never happened. Legend has it a Stones associate sold the tape to a bootlegger backstage at a concert.

4. Australia 73 SB boots

a. 1/24/73 Perth:

b.2/27/73 Sydney

Led Zeppelin

1. 8/31/69 Texas pop Festival

4. 1/9/70 Royal Albert Hall: You are familiar with the DVD of the show but there are a number of boots with the almost complete audio in similar audio quality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohsUDR7otk&list=PLiEZ9LQoMtiWgd2LukE9vR6zXvcGLDE5h

Here is one example................... http://www.giginjapan.com/scan235/led-zeppelin-royal.htm

5. 9/29/71 Osaka: Mostly SB or excellent audience with some audience tape used to fill gaps. Legend has it the taper was in the first row and had to keep shutting of the recorder when Peter Grant was searching the audience for tapers which is why there are a number of gaps in the recording. Legendary show.

6. 1/22/73 Southhampton: This show was show was recorded for a live album supposedly to be the "How The West Was Won" release but was rejected by Jimmy due to technical glitches and he was not happy with the performance. Great sounding show rumoured to be from the multitracks Kevin Shirley was mixing that somehow leaked. Some have speculated that think Jimmy himself might have leaked it to thee bootlegggers.

7. 2/12/75 MSG NYC: This is one of the many SB tapes that are supposedly from the ShowCo person who worked the 75 tour. It is the best of the SB tapes released so far IMHO but there are many other SB's from this tour just as good. Personal trivia, I was supposed to go to this show but there was a blizzard that day and the trains were not running so I could not get to NYC that night....never got to see them live....Here is part of the show. You can find the rest on the tube.

8. 6/7/77 MSG NY: This is a fantastic sounding SB supposedly from the same source as the 75 SB tapes. One of the better 1977 shows IMHO. There are a number of other 77 SB's including all 4- Landover shows on bootleg

9. 6/21/77 Los Angeles: This is a copy of the famous "Listen To This Eddie" bootleg recorded by legendary taper Mike Millard (RIP). Maybe not your taste but it is one of the most well known Zep bootlegs and an amazing audience recording

There are a lot of great boots out there so I just picked some of my favorites I thought you might like. You can find clips of just about every bootleg you might be interested in on youtube so you can sample them to see if you like them.

2. Another great site which lists all the various tapes for boots. Also has a nice write up on the origin of bootlegs and the different labels

Some sites with reviews

Wow...this is awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to put all this together! Looks like I've got a lot of listening/watching to do...can't wait to get started!

Edited by foghat43

Leeds is the most complete show, and the Stones were on absolute fire, so it has to be that, although I do have a certain fondness for the Marquee show because it was the last show they did in Britain before becoming tax exiles and they play 'I Got the Blues' and 'Let it Rock'. Ya Yas has studio overdubs so I cannot choose that, but I still love it; it is still one of the 'great live albums'. Roundhouse is a bit short.

The Virgin remasters (from 1994) are much better than the newer Universal remasters. Bob Ludwig (who did Chinese Democracy) did the mastering. Everyone agrees the new ones sound compressed. Unfortunately you sort have have to buy them if you want the bonus tracks. I have the new Exile with the second disc of bonus material. I switched disc one with my old virgin remaster and put it in storage (I may as well fling it!).

Yeah, totally agree with you. Roundhouse is a bit too short, but imo the best version of Midnight Rabler was played on that show.

I've had a bunch of live bootlegs on my computer (soundboard and audience recordings), but then my hd died. They sounded pretty bad too many times, but were the best rock band anyway. Their recordings with Mick Taylor and re-arrangements of "old" songs were truly amazing.

I mean, just listen to this:

Edited by Daedalus

Rolling Stones

3. 7/26/72 MSG, NYC: There is partial tape said to be the raw mix for the offical live album that never happened. Legend has it a Stones associate sold the tape to a bootlegger backstage at a concert.

This is a newer version but it also is sold out and very pricy now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolling-Stones-American-Tour-1972-10-CDs-2-DVD-Box-Set-/252189675315?hash=item3ab7ad0f33:g:q1sAAMXQuCdTiceD

4. Australia 73 SB boots

a. 1/24/73 Perth:

b.2/27/73 Sydney

Led Zeppelin

1. 8/31/69 Texas pop Festival

9. 6/21/77 Los Angeles: This is a copy of the famous "Listen To This Eddie" bootleg recorded by legendary taper Mike Millard (RIP). Maybe not your taste but it is one of the most well known Zep bootlegs and an amazing audience recording

Some sites with reviews

Wow...this is awesome! I really appreciate you taking the time to put all this together! Looks like I've got a lot of listening/watching to do...can't wait to get started!

My pleasure after all you are named after one of my favorite bands of all time Foghat!

If you are serious about getting into bootlegs I do suggest checking out the links I provided to the reviews as you will learn a lot. That is how I started................

Yeah, totally agree with you. Roundhouse is a bit too short, but imo the best version of Midnight Rabler was played on that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q26u1aXj-4

I've had a bunch of live bootlegs on my computer (soundboard and audience recordings), but then my hd died. They sounded pretty bad too many times, but were the best rock band anyway. Their recordings with Mick Taylor and re-arrangements of "old" songs were truly amazing.

I mean, just listen to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btyhKUvAaZU

There was a great box set released in thee 90's I own that has just about all the SB material there is from the 72 tour with thee exception of the Pittsburgh show.

Unfortunately the quality is only decent with the exception of the MSG mutltrack fragment I posted but still worth owning if you can find it. It is long out of print but pops up on ebay from time to time

http://www.dbboots.com/bootlegs.php?op=showcont&cmd=show&bootkey=1079

Here is an updated version but also sold out and very expensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolling-Stones-American-Tour-1972-10-CDs-2-DVD-Box-Set-/252189675315?hash=item3ab7ad0f33:g:q1sAAMXQuCdTiceD

Edited by classicrawker

For those who prefer downloading the IORR forum has archives of just about every Stones bootleg. All you need to do a a search and there are tons of free downloads

https://www.iorr.org/talk/list.php?2,page=1

Friendly people on there, putting out their collections like that. I've gotten a lot of good stuff from that place including the show I went to.

In a strange way I think the true genius of the stones from that period is heard on the boots (or live if you were lucky enough). As much as I love Exile and Let it Bleed, there is a side of me which thinks, put them away and listen to Liver Then You'll Ever Be or Perth/Sydney '73. There is simply not enough superlatives to describe the live Stones during that period.

• Like 1

In a strange way I think the true genius of the stones from that period is heard on the boots (or live if you were lucky enough). As much as I love Exile and Let it Bleed, there is a side of me which thinks, put them away and listen to Liver Then You'll Ever Be or Perth/Sydney '73. There is simply not enough superlatives to describe the live Stones during that period.

I find this to be true with most bands. They rarely can capture the power of their music in the studio which is why I basically only listen to live bootlegs these days of my favorite bands..........

As far as the Stones are concerned nothing tops the 1969 tour IMHO if you want to understand their genius.............

I find this to be true with most bands. They rarely can capture the power of their music in the studio which is why I basically only listen to live bootlegs these days of my favorite bands..........

As far as the Stones are concerned nothing tops the 1969 tour IMHO if you want to understand their genius.............

The Stones sound much more "hard rock"-ish (for lack of a better term to decribe it) when listening to them live...for example, the live versions of "Bitch" seem to rock much harder than the studio version IMO. I'm better able to understand the influence of the Stones on GnR after listening to these boots. But even more than that, I have a rekindled admiration for the Stones. Can't wait to explore more of these great live shows.

The Zeppelin stuff is great also...I listened to the Osaka '71 show last night. Was pleasantly surprised to hear a great live version of one of my favorite Zep tunes...Tangerine. Awesome show.

It's funny...when I'm listening to the Stones boots, I'm thinking "wow, this is the greatest live band ever!"...but then when I listen to the Zep boots, I'm thinking "wow, this is the greatest live band ever!"...so I guess it's a tie for me...love them both.

Edited by foghat43
  • Like 1