GUNS N' ROSES TO PLAY COACHELLA APRIL 2016 - CONFIRMED!

There's no room for CD songs here or at any of the other potential shows that may come later. Axl, Slash and Duff have collectively written and recorded more than enough of their own material to put on an amazing show. Guns has been a cover band for a really long time now, I honestly hope that Slash and Duff didn't sign up to do the same thing that their no name session replacements were willing to do just for a paycheck.

While what you say might be true, it's just that I'd be interrested in hearing Slash and Duff playing the songs. Maybe they'd change them up a bit. Put their feel to it. Then again, it would be pretty sweet if they only played old stuff!

I can understand that fans who have taken the time to follow the band on a message board would most likely enjoy hearing some CD songs, but much like how it went down at nuGNR shows, the majority of people who go to the concerts just don't know or care about them. It doesn't matter how much a dozen posters or so here love SOD or Better or Shacklers, those songs only managed to bring down the momentum of the shows. The most enthusiastic response from the crowd was always, always, for the classic tunes. And for good reason.

I just think it would be a huge waste of precious time, when you finally have Slash, Duff and Axl performing together on the same stage again after more than 20 years, to play sub-par bargain bin material that most casual fans don't give a rats ass about. Their back catalog is what propelled them to legendary status, it's what we still hear played on the radio daily, and it's the only reason why Axl was even able to take the name and continue to tour under it years after they broke up.

People talk to me about Guns all the time because they know I'm a fan and I've gone to so many shows, and I've never once had someone say to me irl they hope those 5 guys get back together again so they can hear them play CD tunes. It's just not reality for the outside world beyond this website.

I think there's room in the setlist for a bit of everything. Maybe Slash can do This I Love and Axl can give Fall To Pieces a try. But I do think for the most part it's time to put the CD-era material to bed. If Axl wants to perform some new stuff, then do two new tracks with Slash and Duff, nobody will complain about hearing proper new songs.

There's a whole generation of people who never got the opportunity to see these guys play live on stage together. Playing any CD song, and for that matter a VR song or a Slash solo song or an Elton John song, etc., eliminates one of their own classic tunes from the setlist. This isn't a continuation of Axl's vision, Slash and Duff aren't there as special guests filling in for a song or two. This is a nostalgia flashback for all the fans who never got to see them perform as a band before. We've seen Axl play the classics with other people, we've seen Slash play them with other people. I would think the whole point of this is to now see them play these songs together.

I'm not saying it will be the end of the world if they play CD stuff, but it would be completely unnecessary imo, not to mention highly disappointing. Slash has said a reunion would be something great to do for the fans. I never got the impression that meant seeing him play songs he and Duff had nothing to do with.

I see where you're coming from, but I'm sure the average concert goer won't feel short-changed if they see 18 original GNR classics plus one CD song/VR song. I think it'd be kinda nice to see Axl and Slash showing respect for eachothers post-Guns work and throwing a bone to the fans who stood by them during the darker years.

Edited by Towelie

I can understand that fans who have taken the time to follow the band on a message board would most likely enjoy hearing some CD songs, but much like how it went down at nuGNR shows, the majority of people who go to the concerts just don't know or care about them.

The casual fans don't care about songs like 14 Years, Double Talkin Jive, Locomotive or Pretty Tied Up either. It's the hits that matter to most people. There's no doubt that they're gonna play the hits in Coachella. But there's room foor CD songs and UYI deep cuts also.

This is a nostalgia flashback for all the fans who never got to see them perform as a band before. We've seen Axl play the classics with other people, we've seen Slash play them with other people. I would think the whole point of this is to now see them play these songs together.

Who says so? Who says that this is all about nostalgia? I certainly hope it's not. I hope that Guns n' Roses still have a lot of new and exciting things to offer. Perhaps they'll introduce brand new songs on the tour.

How can they play TIL instead of The Garden?

How can they play street of dreams instead of pretty tied up?

How can they play Better instead of Double talkin Jive?

Fuck CD Fuck that whole era to HELL.

Well, if you look at Spotify statistics, TIL is a more popular song than The Garden, Street Of Dreams is more popular than Pretty Tied Up and Better is more popular than Double Talkin Jive. So there's one reason...

Edited by Lies They Tell
  • Like 2

How can they play TIL instead of The Garden?

How can they play street of dreams instead of pretty tied up?

How can they play Better instead of Double talkin Jive?

Fuck CD Fuck that whole era to HELL.

I'm sure Axl doesn't see it that way.

It seems at first we will get the full appetite album with Patience, November Rain, KOHD, Live And Let Die, all the shits, I mean the hits.

Stuff like Estranged, Civil War, Don't Cry, or Yesterdays would be great at first + two or three new UYI and CD would be even better. But it is Coachella, so we might just get the hits.

Looking forward to Patience, I'm sure it will be glorious.

Edited by Silent Jay

There's no room for CD songs here or at any of the other potential shows that may come later. Axl, Slash and Duff have collectively written and recorded more than enough of their own material to put on an amazing show. Guns has been a cover band for a really long time now, I honestly hope that Slash and Duff didn't sign up to do the same thing that their no name session replacements were willing to do just for a paycheck.

While what you say might be true, it's just that I'd be interrested in hearing Slash and Duff playing the songs. Maybe they'd change them up a bit. Put their feel to it. Then again, it would be pretty sweet if they only played old stuff!

I can understand that fans who have taken the time to follow the band on a message board would most likely enjoy hearing some CD songs, but much like how it went down at nuGNR shows, the majority of people who go to the concerts just don't know or care about them. It doesn't matter how much a dozen posters or so here love SOD or Better or Shacklers, those songs only managed to bring down the momentum of the shows. The most enthusiastic response from the crowd was always, always, for the classic tunes. And for good reason.

I just think it would be a huge waste of precious time, when you finally have Slash, Duff and Axl performing together on the same stage again after more than 20 years, to play sub-par bargain bin material that most casual fans don't give a rats ass about. Their back catalog is what propelled them to legendary status, it's what we still hear played on the radio daily, and it's the only reason why Axl was even able to take the name and continue to tour under it years after they broke up.

People talk to me about Guns all the time because they know I'm a fan and I've gone to so many shows, and I've never once had someone say to me irl they hope those 5 guys get back together again so they can hear them play CD tunes. It's just not reality for the outside world beyond this website.

Sub par ? LOL you seem to understand much about music then.

Popularity as nothing to do with quality. People love to hear what they already now, just like people love to pay for shit movies already made before (Force awakens for one) but that doesn't mean the product itself is any good or better than the less known songs or films.

CD even with all it's problems is an amazing piece of work. Any non biased good musician can tell you that.

Yeah, I'm not a musician, just a music fan. That's ok, even people who don't play instruments can know what they like and know what sounds like shit to them. And as someone who listens to music, a lot of music, there's nothing amazing about that album. My opinion of course, but it's sub par in comparison to other GNR songs, and all other songs I like in general. There's nothing I like about it, and while people can pretend that the consensus means nothing, the fact that there is no demand to hear these songs, or any indication that they even exist other than on this here forum, speaks volumes of what the prevailing thought is. You can certainly disagree with the mass majority of public opinion, but you can't disregard it as if it doesn't even exist.

Popularity as nothing to do with quality. People love to hear what they already now, just like people love to pay for shit movies already made before (Force awakens for one) but that doesn't mean the product itself is any good or better than the less known songs or films.

CD even with all it's problems is an amazing piece of work. Any non biased good musician can tell you that.

Yeah, I'm not a musician, just a music fan. That's ok, even people who don't play instruments can know what they like and know what sounds like shit to them. And as someone who listens to music, a lot of music, there's nothing amazing about that album. My opinion of course, but it's sub par in comparison to other GNR songs, and all other songs I like in general. There's nothing I like about it, and while people can pretend that the consensus means nothing, the fact that there is no demand to hear these songs, or any indication that they even exist other than on this here forum, speaks volumes of what the prevailing thought is. You can certainly disagree with the mass majority of public opinion, but you can't disregard it as if it doesn't even exist.

I think there is a valid argument to be made that CD songs are no more or less known than random album tracks from the UYI albums. If you think the only people who like CD are a handful of hardcores on this message board then you are seriously wrong. Granted, it wasn't a cultural phenomenon like AFD, but I've spoken to plenty of casual fans who dug Chinese. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who do.

• Like 1

This is a nostalgia flashback for all the fans who never got to see them perform as a band before. We've seen Axl play the classics with other people, we've seen Slash play them with other people. I would think the whole point of this is to now see them play these songs together.

Who says so? Who says that this is all about nostalgia? I certainly hope it's not. I hope that Guns n' Roses still have a lot of new and exciting things to offer. Perhaps they'll introduce brand new songs on the tour.

I'm sorry, but when you get guys in their 50's who haven't played together in over 20 years back together again, I'd feel confident in saying this is more about nostalgia than trying to recapture the feel of a once struggling sunset strip band trying to take over the world . Like Axl has been doing for over a decade, he's toured on the back of the songs from the classic lineup and released one album, while Slash has been spending that same time consistently writing and recording new music. I'd love to hear new songs from them if that was even a possibility, so much more than hearing anything from CD, but Axl hasn't shown much interest in doing anything new. But who knows, maybe he's realized Slash is the muse he's been searching for all this time. It certainly worked out well for him once before. I'd like to think this isn't just all about the money, and that they can actually take this opportunity to be creative together again.

I'm sorry, but when you get guys in their 50's who haven't played together in over 20 years back together again, I'd feel confident in saying this is more about nostalgia than trying to recapture the feel of a once struggling sunset strip band trying to take over the world . Like Axl has been doing for over a decade, he's toured on the back of the songs from the classic lineup and released one album, while Slash has been spending that same time consistently writing and recording new music. I'd love to hear new songs from them if that was even a possibility, so much more than hearing anything from CD, but Axl hasn't shown much interest in doing anything new. But who knows, maybe he's realized Slash is the muse he's been searching for all this time. It certainly worked out well for him once before. I'd like to think this isn't just all about the money, and that they can actually take this opportunity to be creative together again.

Feel free to be just as cynical as you want. Anyway, according to Alan Niven Izzy has been writing new songs with them, so that sounds promising.

I think there is a valid argument to be made that CD songs are no more or less known than random album tracks from the UYI albums. If you think the only people who like CD are a handful of hardcores on this message board then you are seriously wrong. Granted, it wasn't a cultural phenomenon like AFD, but I've spoken to plenty of casual fans who dug Chinese. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people who do.

I personally, in my real life, don't know one person who likes CD, has nothing too do with my opinion of it. To be honest I don't know a lot of people who care about Guns at all. It only ever comes up in conversation because they know I do. I've been to numerous GNR concerts, VR concerts, Slash concerts, have I heard people mention they like CD or a song on it? Sure. Is it enough to substantiate the band playing any of those songs at a sort of reunion gig? In my opinion, not at all. There's no overwhelming demand to hear those songs at NuGuns shows, why would they play them with Slash and Duff. Anyone who has gone to an Axl concert has seen the lull in the crowd when a CD song is played, this isn't just my opinion, this is what I've observed every single time. There's always a few rows of people on the rails headbanging it, while the rest of the crowd waits it out for the next classic tune. The casual fan may not know 14 Years or DTJ, but the diehards do. Normally, the goal would be to not only appeal to the general masses but also to the fans that have remained with this band from the beginning. For the most part, CD songs don't fit into either scenario.

The casual fan may not know 14 Years or DTJ, but the diehards do. Normally, the goal would be to not only appeal to the general masses but also to the fans that have remained with this band from the beginning. For the most part, CD songs don't fit into either scenario.

Well there's two types of diehard GNR fans. The old GNR purists and those who love Chinese Democracy too. Why should only the other type of diehards be rewarded, when many want to hear CD songs too? There should be something for everyone. Some deep cuts from UYI albums and something from Chinese Democray. That would make the most sense.

I honestly don't think Slash would have any trouble playing Bucket's TWAT solo. The shredding at the very end isn't Slash's style (although Slash is no stranger to speedy runs), but the main Bucket solo isn't actually very hard from a technical standard. Definitely not his hardest considering it's Buckethead. Bucket's stuff is very melodic and that always lends itself to being learned easier than some chaotic improvised stuff.

Wouldn't a UYI 2.0 be actually the same? Just being a cover band of themselves?

Hearing the same songs that were written 25-30 years ago would be boring. I really hope these guys have at least a few NEW songs, otherwise it will be very disappointing.

No, it's not and would NEVER be boring to hear GNR songs that were written 25-30 years ago live with Axl, Slash and Duff. But it is and would be very boring hearing them live over and over again with NuGNR.

• Like 2

The casual fan may not know 14 Years or DTJ, but the diehards do. Normally, the goal would be to not only appeal to the general masses but also to the fans that have remained with this band from the beginning. For the most part, CD songs don't fit into either scenario.

Well there's two types of diehard GNR fans. The old GNR purists and those who love Chinese Democracy too. Why should only the other type of diehards be rewarded, when many want to hear CD songs too? There should be something for everyone. Some deep cuts from UYI albums and something from Chinese Democray. That would make the most sense.

Back in 2010 NuGNR were playing 8+ CD songs on the tour. By 2014 that number was down to about 3 or 4. Right or wrong it gave the impression that even Axl wasn't interested in playing those tunes anymore. I also don't recall anyone protesting the lack of CD material, even on here where those songs get the most attention., it was discussed but there was hardly an uproar.

With what I assume is confirmation that Pitman will be a part of this rejoining thing, it appears most likely there will be some CD played. I'm sure there will be a small group of people happy about this, as there has always been a small group at NuGuns shows happy about it. Overall, I think it's unfortunate and will be a downer for the majority who have followed this band since the AFD days and never gave up on their hope for a reunion. Are we really trying to pointlessly debate that more diehard fans have wanted a reunion all this time so they could see Axl, Duff and Slash play SOD as opposed to seeing them play WTTJ? I think not. I'm very happy btw that at the very least, these 3 guys will be on stage again. I just think it's unfortunate Slash and Duff have made concessions solely to appease Axl instead of looking to appease most of their fans.

• Like 1

Back in 2010 NuGNR were playing 8+ CD songs on the tour. By 2014 that number was down to about 3 or 4. Right or wrong it gave the impression that even Axl wasn't interested in playing those tunes anymore. I also don't recall anyone protesting the lack of CD material, even on here where those songs get the most attention., it was discussed but there was hardly an uproar.

That's what usually happens with all albums. At first the band wants to try every song, but eventually only the more popular songs from the album stay in the setlist. Besides, it was usually 4-5 CD songs that they played in 2014. That's a pretty good amount so why should there have been an uproar.

it appears most likely there will be some CD played. I'm sure there will be a small group of people happy about this, as there has always been a small group at NuGuns shows happy about it. Overall, I think it's unfortunate and will be a downer for the majority who have followed this band since the AFD days and never gave up on their hope for a reunion. Are we really trying to pointlessly debate that more diehard fans have wanted a reunion all this time so they could see Axl, Duff and Slash play SOD as opposed to seeing them play WTTJ? I think not. I'm very happy btw that at the very least, these 3 guys will be on stage again. I just think it's unfortunate Slash and Duff have made concessions solely to appease Axl instead of looking to appease most of their fans.

Why is it so hard for you to see things from other people's perspective? Not all diehard fans have even wanted a reunion. I mean it's cool of course, but most of all many of us have wanted new music from Guns N' Roses. And we've been supporting GNR while many old GNR purists have abandoned GNR over the years.

And I don't really get your point about Slash and Duff appeasing Axl instead of most of their fans. Most of their fans are casual fans who want to hear the hits. And the hits will get played, so most of their fans will be happy.

Likewise UYI deepcuts will probably be played and CD stuff too. So there's something for everyone. Why is that a bad thing?

Many CD songs are more popular than many UYI songs, so the whole Slash and Duff are appeasing Axl instead of fans argument is simply invalid. This I Love, Better, Street Of Dreams and Chinese Democracy are more popular (for example on Spotify) than most UYI deepcuts. So if they would ignore the whole Chinese Democracy album, that would be disrespectful to the fans.

The haters are out.

I think the sad thing would be for them to come back and play an oldies but goodies concert.

Don't the Rolling Stones have the corner of that market? It would be like seeing Lynard Skynard going through the motions.

A few of the old songs would be fine, mixed in with a few off of CD. But unless Axl has new material ready to roll out let;s hope this is a one time thing.

The "no name session replacements" played the oldies but goodies as well as the original band did, and in some cases technically better than the last few shows of the original band half in the bag that I went to.

And for the record I personally think the odds of this show ever going off are about 1 in 10 anyway.

• Like 1