GUNS N' ROSES TO PLAY COACHELLA APRIL 2016 - CONFIRMED!

I think they should do CD tunes live. Would be cool to hear Slash on CD. You never know. Maybe Axl might release CD2 with Slash. Never say never...

I can only see Slash agreeing that if Axl also agrees to some VR/Slash songs, like Slither etc.

I would like to see them experiment with a couple CD/VR/SMKC songs, think that would be a great idea, but as some posters have mentioned, each post-GNR song does then eliminate a classic GNR song from the set.

However, I disagree to an extent about how slash would only play cd if Axl plays a VR song - from the information I've seen this definitely looks at a more Slash joining by agreeing to axl's terms, rather than the other way round.

I just think it's unfortunate Slash and Duff have made concessions solely to appease Axl instead of looking to appease most of their fans.

Yeah, it would be better if they never reunited and that would make all the fans happier. Please, stay on the path of at least some minimum amount of sense and reason...

Before Slash's comments in July, the possibility of a reunion was slim to none. Since this band has a long history of fucking things up, I don't know why people are surprised that others are expressing some level of disappointment.

I don't share the same sentiments of some who think sense and reason somehow equate to Slash and Duff on stage with Pitman playing songs they had nothing to do with, especially when you take into consideration they have more than enough iconic material of their own. If Axl wants to tour after this with more hired help no one has heard of just so he can play 3 or 4 of his CD songs then so be it. Just as I would expect Slash would want to go back on tour with Myles and play his solo stuff. As much as I love the song, I wouldn't want to hear Anastasia at this gig or any others they may do, so why would I care about hearing Better. There's a time and a place to play anything they've done on their own, I don't see a reunion as being either of them. CD represents a period of heartache, lawsuits, negativity and animosity between the old members, as well as years of arguing between nu fans vs old fans.

This rejoining should be a celebration of the work they accomplished when they were together, playing the songs they wrote and recorded that propelled them from nothingness to one of the biggest legendary bands in the world. CD had zero to do with any of that, there's no reason it should be represented at this type of show.

I think a big part of this will depend on whether Slash and Duff consider CD to be GNR material or not.

Who knows... Duff has played CD material. Slash seems cool enough to play CD material. He comes across like he just wants to play and have fun instead of being stuck up about all the anal details some fans seem to be obsessed with.

It's quite interesting and depressing how GNR fans –in general, not talking specifically about you– are among the most cunty and bitchy fans out there... complaining for the sake of complaining...

No news? Complaints

Cryptic messages? Complaints

Clear messages? Complaints

New live shows? Complaints

Slash and Duff are back in the band? Complaints

Dizzy, Pitman, Fortus and Ferrer in the band? Complaints

Axl moves on stage? Complaints

Uncertainty about the material that is gonna be played live? Complaints

A part of me wishes it was just the endless sea of internet cupcakes, but I haven't seen this behaviour in other bands' messageboards/forums (NIN, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, etc).

Let's just see how things unfold.

I think it's a safe bet that Guns N' Roses will continue to play some CD songs, given that Duff and Slash both like CD and most fans like a couple of the songs or tolerate them at least.

Regarding fans being arseholes, i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that Guns N' Roses and Team Brazil are shit when it comes to interacting with the band's fanbase or keeping them up to date on things. If you treat your fans inadequately, they're going to return the favour. Most who have followed Guns over the last 16 years have had to put up with Team Brazil's bullshit and incompetency. I think things would improve if Guns N' Roses actually got competent management and PR teams which would do their jobs properly and work in tandem with one another. With Team Brazil, things are always complicated and the PR is shit. Short of posting bullshit things like Tattoos and pictures of people's children, they don't really do much to interact with the fanbase, let alone properly inform them on news and up to date happenings.

Some people will always be arseholes, but a lot of it could be rectified if Guns N' Roses properly engaged the fans.

Maybe you should get your head out of your own ass and take the time to read carefully and understand what other users are posting instead of reacting to it in such a hysterical way after misunderstanding what is being said.

Because Slash doesn't have the chops to play most of the solos in that album. That means, if they play CD songs, we would get to hear different versions, maybe even stripped down to basics, which might be interesting and give us a sense of what could have been.

CD is part of GNR history/discography. Some people love those songs, Axl and whoever is in the band probably like those songs as well. Why pretend it never existed? Just because some fans don't like them? Ha! Ain't gonna happen, kiddo.

I agree though, I'd rather hear new material instead of listening to PC, WTTJ, CD, Better, Mr Brownstone, It's so Easy, YCBM, Don't Cry and NR for the millionth time.

You need to take you're own damn advice. You think you're the voice of reason here, but you are not.

I never mentioned about re-releasing CD, what I was talking about

I don't care about what you have to say, you quoted me, remember. And if you didn't understand what my initial post was about, then maybe you shouldn't have.

Check Amir's post. CD is listed as version 1 on spotify, there is the possibility of a version 2. When will GNR escape the spectre of this album!? I know people want to hear these songs played by Slash and Duff, that wouldn't be an issue on its own. I've said elsewhere that I expect Slash to play CD songs, he's an amiable guy. Though I don't know what people are expecting to hear, and I don't believe Axl would be happy for them to completely rework the songs. But my post wasn't only about that, it was also in response to the idea of them actually recording a version 2, on top of everything else. No more time needs to be wasted on this album. And whether it is part of the GNR disco, is up for debate. That is something you and other fans will have to deal with. Not everyone has to see the two GNR bands as being the same, just because they share the name.

I doubt Slash likes CD. Usually musicians don't like something they wouldn't record.

Coming straight from the horse's mouth:

"I already listened to it," Slash revealed during a recent interview. "At first I thought that I would never listen to it until it's released, but someone handed it to me and I was in my car and I was like 'Okay, let's give it a try.'

"So I listened to it: It's a really good record. It's very different from what the original Guns N' Roses sounded like, but it's a great statement by Axl. Now you understand where he was heading all this time. It's a record that the original Guns N' Roses could never possibly make. And at the same time it just shows you how brilliant Axl is. So it was a relief for me to actually hear it."

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-calls-guns-n-roses-chinese-democracy-a-great-statement-172820

Here's a video of him talking about Chinese Democracy:

• Like 1

^^Why? He could have easily, in a polite way, say he didn't like it. I think he's a lot more open to new music / styles than he was in 90ies. CD was and still is Rock n' Roll, it was just a different take on it (compared to previous Guns records).

And he did, listen to the interview. He's talking about Axl being great, not single word about the record. That's the polite way to say he didn't dig CD. But I'm not saying he won't play some of it at the Coachella. He is way more mature now.

Edited by Ralphelmo

Before Slash's comments in July, the possibility of a reunion was slim to none. Since this band has a long history of fucking things up, I don't know why people are surprised that others are expressing some level of disappointment.

I don't share the same sentiments of some who think sense and reason somehow equate to Slash and Duff on stage with Pitman playing songs they had nothing to do with, especially when you take into consideration they have more than enough iconic material of their own. If Axl wants to tour after this with more hired help no one has heard of just so he can play 3 or 4 of his CD songs then so be it. Just as I would expect Slash would want to go back on tour with Myles and play his solo stuff. As much as I love the song, I wouldn't want to hear Anastasia at this gig or any others they may do, so why would I care about hearing Better. There's a time and a place to play anything they've done on their own, I don't see a reunion as being either of them. CD represents a period of heartache, lawsuits, negativity and animosity between the old members, as well as years of arguing between nu fans vs old fans.

This rejoining should be a celebration of the work they accomplished when they were together, playing the songs they wrote and recorded that propelled them from nothingness to one of the biggest legendary bands in the world. CD had zero to do with any of that, there's no reason it should be represented at this type of show.

I think a big part of this will depend on whether Slash and Duff consider CD to be GNR material or not.

Who knows... Duff has played CD material. Slash seems cool enough to play CD material. He comes across like he just wants to play and have fun instead of being stuck up about all the anal details some fans seem to be obsessed with.

It's quite interesting and depressing how GNR fans –in general, not talking specifically about you– are among the most cunty and bitchy fans out there... complaining for the sake of complaining...

No news? Complaints

Cryptic messages? Complaints

Clear messages? Complaints

New live shows? Complaints

Slash and Duff are back in the band? Complaints

Dizzy, Pitman, Fortus and Ferrer in the band? Complaints

Axl moves on stage? Complaints

Uncertainty about the material that is gonna be played live? Complaints

A part of me wishes it was just the endless sea of internet cupcakes, but I haven't seen this behaviour in other bands' messageboards/forums (NIN, My Bloody Valentine, The Cure, etc).

Let's just see how things unfold.

There's little debate that CD is GNR material, It was released under the band name. It's not however, Slash and Duff material. My opinion is that they don't need to use any of it when there's more than enough iconic and beloved songs they could play together that they wrote and recorded during their tenure in the band. But that all remains to be seen.

I believe Duff was pretty much in the process of setting this reunion up when he agreed to help Axl and appeared on his tour. Filing in for Tommy was a huge favor for Axl. He was cool with playing CD songs because it was part of what he had to do to get this ball rolling. Axl was pissed at both him and Slash for years, but he was always harder on Slash. He would leave the door slightly open for Duff, who I think finally took the opportunity and ran with it.

Here's a quote everyone knows about that Axl gave to Del a few years back...."There's zero possibility of me having anything to do with Slash other than by ambush, and that wouldn't be pretty.... Slash either should not have been in Guns to begin with or should have left after Lies. In a nutshell, personally I consider him a cancer and better removed.... and the less anyone heard of him or his supporters, the better."

So please, tell me more about fans being cunty and bitchy.

There's a lot of people out there, fans who DO appreciate Slash's contributions to the band, people who feel that without him, Guns would never have reached the level of success the AFD lineup did and beyond. And on the back of his creativeness, Axl was able to continue under the band name and make money off of it. Now Axl was certainly entitled to his opinion of course, but let's not put double standards on the fans, who are just as entitled to their own.

As for other bands, I have to admit ignorance. I don't know all the inner workings of most of them the way I do Guns. I wouldn't use NIN as any sort of comparison though. There's never been a doubt that's always been Trent's band. That's not always been the case with GNR. There are still people out there who remember what it was like in the beginning. It was a collective, a brotherhood, and never just about one guy. It's sort of morphed into that over the years, "last man standing" , "surviving this war" yada yada, but there will always be dedicated fans of that classic band as a whole, people who realize their dynamic is not something that can be replaced for any price or with any amount of supposed technical ability. It was special.

Yeah, we talked about it in other thread. He likes Axl's vocals but if it comes to the record he's just polite.

He never directly said he liked Chinese Democracy, but he said it's a good record with some good material. I think the fact that he said such things shows that he at least likes some of what's on the album.

No, it's not and would NEVER be boring to hear GNR songs that were written 25-30 years ago live with Axl, Slash and Duff. But it is and would be very boring hearing them live over and over again with NuGNR.

That doesn't make any sense

Yeah, I'm not a musician, just a music fan. That's ok, even people who don't play instruments can know what they like and know what sounds like shit to them. And as someone who listens to music, a lot of music, there's nothing amazing about that album. My opinion of course, but it's sub par in comparison to other GNR songs, and all other songs I like in general. There's nothing I like about it, and while people can pretend that the consensus means nothing, the fact that there is no demand to hear these songs, or any indication that they even exist other than on this here forum, speaks volumes of what the prevailing thought is. You can certainly disagree with the mass majority of public opinion, but you can't disregard it as if it doesn't even exist.

That't in all likelyhood because you are no longer, or possibly never have been a fan of real rock.

I recall you mentioning Bon Jovi "rocked the house" at a recent concert, so perspective I suppose is in order in relation to your hating on CD.

And that's fine.

But CD is the best rock album put out in a long long time, and may be the last given music in general is in the shithole now.

If there are supposed to be shows in the summer...by what time would they have to announce them the latest?

April or May

And I thought I'd shcedule my vacation earlier this year, so that I have some wider choice... Well, goodbye plans :shrugs:

Yeah, I'm not a musician, just a music fan. That's ok, even people who don't play instruments can know what they like and know what sounds like shit to them. And as someone who listens to music, a lot of music, there's nothing amazing about that album. My opinion of course, but it's sub par in comparison to other GNR songs, and all other songs I like in general. There's nothing I like about it, and while people can pretend that the consensus means nothing, the fact that there is no demand to hear these songs, or any indication that they even exist other than on this here forum, speaks volumes of what the prevailing thought is. You can certainly disagree with the mass majority of public opinion, but you can't disregard it as if it doesn't even exist.

That't in all likelyhood because you are no longer, or possibly never have been a fan of real rock.

I recall you mentioning Bon Jovi "rocked the house" at a recent concert, so perspective I suppose is in order in relation to your hating on CD.

And that's fine.

But CD is the best rock album put out in a long long time, and may be the last given music in general is in the shithole now.

You obviously have me confused with someone else. I'm sure I've never uttered the words "Bon Jovi rocked the house" :lol: , though I do like them and have seen them in concert. I like a lot of different music and a lot of different bands. I assume most people do.

I think it's funny though how it's got to be all or nothing with some people, especially GNR posters here for some odd reason. You can consider yourself a fan of a band, but if you don't love their entire catalog of material ever recorded and released, or if you don't agree with every decision made, that somehow makes you a hater and not a real fan. That's weird to me.

CD is the best rock album in a long time? That's freakin hilarious, but ok, your opinion.

Why are we arguing about Chinese Democracy? Guns N' Roses are reuniting for gods sake! We are going to see Axl and Slash running around shredding and banshee wailing through our favorite songs on the same stage for the first time in a quarter century. Who cares what extra songs they play here and there really?

And that's fine.

I don't think you've been following rock music since 2008.

• Like 1

The truth is, CD is no way near as good as the NuGNR fangirls make it out to be, but at the same time, it's no way near as bad as the 80s mullethead AFD purists pretend either.

There's a handful of truly great songs, a couple of good ones, and some outright stinkers. It's not anywhere near as good as AFD or the Illusions, but then it isn't really a GNR record, so I don't think it's a fair comparison (although the comparisons are drawn because of Axl's refusal to release it under a different band name, so it's his own fault).

• Like 3