GUNS N' ROSES TO PLAY COACHELLA APRIL 2016 - CONFIRMED!

I think they should do CD tunes live. Would be cool to hear Slash on CD. You never know. Maybe Axl might release CD2 with Slash. Never say never...

I can only see Slash agreeing that if Axl also agrees to some VR/Slash songs, like Slither etc.
Would that make sense tho?

Slash is joining GnR. So he should be prepared to play anything from the GnR catalog. I would bet Axl and TB are pretty adamant about that.

Why would GnR play songs from Slash, duff catalog as solo artists? That makes no sense at all.

Did GnR play Six AM songs? Replacement songs? Nine Inch Nail songs? Why would they start doing that how?

Not to be pedantic here, but technically Slash, Duff and Axl are "regrouping", for this show at least. Slash and Duff aren't joining the band as replacement musicians or employees, but as former members. Surely people can see the difference?

I think it's also worth mentioning they still own the rights to the songs they created while members of that band, unlike anyone else who has come and gone after them. So to compare them in a way to any other musician who has been a part of Guns post '97 by saying they should be prepared to play anything from the GnR catalog, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. That's what those other guys were hired and paid to do. This isn't remotely the same thing. I would think the only thing they should really be prepared for, is playing the songs they wrote and recorded while they were still members of GNR. I don't understand the sense of obligation to perform songs they had nothing to do with.

Surely you see the difference between old members of GnR returning to GnR and playing songs that GnR released......as opposed to Axl playing songs created by bands not known as GnR?

Duff joined Axl on tour last year and played CD songs. So adding Slash to the mix means they shouldn't play them? So the number of old members returning would dictate if they play CD songs? One - they play. Two - they don't play?

Using that logic, Sorum didn't create Appetite or Lies. But he still played those songs live. So should he not be expected to play songs from those two albums if he is part of the upcoming tour?

Adler wasn't part of Illusions. If he gets the upcoming gig should he be regulated to just appetite and Lies songs? Dizzy wasn't there for Appetite. Does he sit the bench now for those songs?

Hell, to accommodate past musicians only playing songs from albums they were on the "regrouping" tour is gonna need 17 different band members involved.

CD is a GnR album.

The upcoming tour looks to have Axl, Dizzy, Frank, Pittman and possibly Fortus. Duff has already played CD songs on tour. So they should drop GnR songs because of one guy (Slash)?

If this was a reunion of the original band then I could see them not touching CD. Unless the original guys wanted to. Which they might. Slash might be excited to tackle twat or Better.

But since it looks like five current members and two old guys? Logic is that CD would be included.

IMO.

Anybody that wants Axl to sing VR is a little delusional. That's just odd. I can't even see Slash and Duff wanting to do that. The people that want it now won't want it when they hear it.

GnR didn't play Sixx AM songs, Replacement songs or Cult songs. Why would they start covering members old bands songs now?

• Like 2

I think they should do CD tunes live. Would be cool to hear Slash on CD. You never know. Maybe Axl might release CD2 with Slash. Never say never...

I can only see Slash agreeing that if Axl also agrees to some VR/Slash songs, like Slither etc.
Would that make sense tho?

Slash is joining GnR. So he should be prepared to play anything from the GnR catalog. I would bet Axl and TB are pretty adamant about that.

Why would GnR play songs from Slash, duff catalog as solo artists? That makes no sense at all.

Did GnR play Six AM songs? Replacement songs? Nine Inch Nail songs? Why would they start doing that how?

Not to be pedantic here, but technically Slash, Duff and Axl are "regrouping", for this show at least. Slash and Duff aren't joining the band as replacement musicians or employees, but as former members. Surely people can see the difference?

I think it's also worth mentioning they still own the rights to the songs they created while members of that band, unlike anyone else who has come and gone after them. So to compare them in a way to any other musician who has been a part of Guns post '97 by saying they should be prepared to play anything from the GnR catalog, doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. That's what those other guys were hired and paid to do. This isn't remotely the same thing. I would think the only thing they should really be prepared for, is playing the songs they wrote and recorded while they were still members of GNR. I don't understand the sense of obligation to perform songs they had nothing to do with.

Surely you see the difference between old members of GnR returning to GnR and playing songs that GnR released......as opposed to Axl playing songs created by bands not known as GnR?

Duff joined Axl on tour last year and played CD songs. So adding Slash to the mix means they shouldn't play them? So the number of old members returning would dictate if they play CD songs? One - they play. Two - they don't play?

Using that logic, Sorum didn't create Appetite or Lies. But he still played those songs live. So should he not be expected to play songs from those two albums if he is part of the upcoming tour?

Adler wasn't part of Illusions. If he gets the upcoming gig should he be regulated to just appetite and Lies songs? Dizzy wasn't there for Appetite. Does he sit the bench now for those songs?

Hell, to accommodate past musicians only playing songs from albums they were on the "regrouping" tour is gonna need 17 different band members involved.

CD is a GnR album.

The upcoming tour looks to have Axl, Dizzy, Frank, Pittman and possibly Fortus. Duff has already played CD songs on tour. So they should drop GnR songs because of one guy (Slash)?

If this was a reunion of the original band then I could see them not touching CD. Unless the original guys wanted to. Which they might. Slash might be excited to tackle twat or Better.

But since it looks like five current members and two old guys? Logic is that CD would be included.

IMO.

Anybody that wants Axl to sing VR is a little delusional. That's just odd. I can't even see Slash and Duff wanting to do that. The people that want it now won't want it when they hear it.

GnR didn't play Sixx AM songs, Replacement songs or Cult songs. Why would they start covering members old bands songs now?
Duff joined last year as a temporary fill in. A guest spot. Its the equilavent of when a friend from out of state comes to crash at your place for a couple weeks. He doesn't really get a say on refurnishing your place, or repainting your kitchen. What's happening now is the equilavent of a friend moving in with you. Sharing bills, breaking bread, the whole nine. A bit different of a circumstance.

You have to also understand that the gnr they were part of and the gnr that exists today are two different, separate, legal entities. It's unclear right now if this "reunion" is a revival of that old entity or not. We have no knowledge on what the legal finalities have come to be, or what kind of compromises have been made. It's all up in the air as far as we're all concerned.

But we know Slash wasn't a big fan of the cd stuff, and that there's literally no pay off playing those songs live anymore. Maybe 10% of any given audience are aware of those songs existence, and maybe about 5% of that same audience would really give three wet farts as to if they're played or not. And let's be honest here, that's being generous. Again, why make things awkward if you don't have to, and when the mass majority of the audience wouldn't even appreciate it anyways? The CD stuff made absolutely no impact on the masses. So might as well just stick to the 87-91 material that did.

But if Axl's gonna be a cry baby about it, then playing the two VR hits would be a fair compromise. Like I said, Tommy and Bumble got to play their solo stuff at shows. And Slither and Fall to Pieces made way more commercial impact than Better or This I Love did. Chances are, Average Joe would be more prone to know and appreciate those songs, and it keeps things leveled. No inflated egos, no bullshit. Like I said, if Axl's willing to have Slash and Duff's guitarist from VR playing with them, I doubt he'd then have much trouble compromising this. Plus, them playing each other's stuff from when they were apart would send a message of unity. Like the hatchet has really been buried.

But simply making Slash and Duff Axl's bottom bitches is just gonna be a recipe for disaster, and horribly depressing to witness. Let's just hope that's not really the case.

Edited by Bobbo
  • Like 1

CD is a GnR album.

IMO.

-I definitely see the difference , the problem is some people don't. And I've made a point, probably too many times now, that I wouldn't expect or want VR or Slash solo material played. Merely the songs the 3 of them were a part of creating together. An amazing catalog of material that is btw, which includes some of the most iconic songs in rock history, and that still, a quarter of a century later, appear on every major top 10 list and countdown, so I'm sort of confused that it's even a debate.

-Duff joined Axl to fill in for Tommy. Did him a huge favor, and imo is probably most responsible for this semi reunion because of it. Since they were nuGuns shows I would expect nuGuns music be included. This festival is billed as a regrouping of the classic members. Totally different scenario. And I'm not sure why people think just because Duff played certain material Slash should do it too and like it. Really? If your friend jumped off a bridge..... well, you know the rest.

-Sorum was always considered an employee, Slash and Duff weren't. But I do think he should get some consideration for playing on 3 albums and appearing in several videos. Certainly he did more for GnR music than Frank has. Personally, I loved how they handled it at the HOF with him and Steve.

-There's no need for keyboards on any AFD songs anyway, so sure, let Dizzy sit on a bench. Him and Pitman can share one off stage.

-Who is trying to accommodate every musician involved in the making of the albums? The regrouping specifically involves Slash Duff and Axl at this time according to the press release, therefore I don't see the issue with performing the music the 3 of them were involved in writing and recording.

-I agree that CD is a GNR album as it was released under the GNR name. But again, Slash and Duff had nothing to do with it, so I still don't see the obligation for them to play any songs from it. They're not there to fill in for someone else, hired to replace a replacement, or as an employee of Axl in any capacity whatsoever. They performed as Guns n Roses at the HOF. No CD songs were played. Obviously Slash and Duff didn't really consider them to be necessary to represent the band. What they did do was represent the material they created while they were members. I don't t think this festival or any other potential shows should be any different. Whatever Axl did with the name after they left has nothing to do with them.

Edited by Patience 4 Axl
  • Like 1

I keep saying it, but since the conversations been repeating itself...

I love VR, ChiDem, Snakepit, Conspirators, etc but none of that should be played here. This is, at its core, a celebration of classic GNR like the hall of fame. I was psyched with the ChiDem songs at the shows I was at, but theyve been done to death. We dont need them at these shows or on this tour. Same goes for the Slash and Duff stuff.

We should get a set showcasing the hits, a couple UYI/Appetite deep cuts, and ideally, a couple new songs

• Like 1

Coachella is sold out. When we'll get the tour announcement?

I think it'll get some sort of cool announcement. "Soon"

GNR should get rights to their performances at Coachella. It'd be a great way to do a combined live album/blu ray of two shows that feel like one. Best performances from each night as one entire show.

I love VR, ChiDem, Snakepit, Conspirators, etc but none of that should be played here. This is, at its core, a celebration of classic GNR like the hall of fame. I was psyched with the ChiDem songs at the shows I was at, but theyve been done to death. We dont need them at these shows or on this tour. Same goes for the Slash and Duff stuff.

We should get a set showcasing the hits, a couple UYI/Appetite deep cuts, and ideally, a couple new songs

Ideally I too hope they'll just keep it strictly 87-91 stuff everyone knows and loves. Plus, God willing, new stuff that involves all of them. But with Shitman involved...probably ain't going that way.

Preach brother! I won't necessarily complain if a CD or VR song pops up, but all the same they've got so much classic material to choose from including many rarely played gems (or songs that can easily be dusted off) that I'd rather see those be the focus.

• Like 1

Ideally I too hope they'll just keep it strictly 87-91 stuff everyone knows and loves. Plus, God willing, new stuff that involves all of them. But with Shitman involved...probably ain't going that way.

Shitman...made me laugh. :lol: I'm hoping his presence is meant to be more like a security blanket for Axl than anything else. It's not like he can ask Ashba to come back just to sit next to him for moral support ala Trunk interview. I imagine this is going to be very surreal for Axl. He's had Izzy on stage and Duff on stage, but had the comfort of being surrounded by all those other guys. He's going to look right and there's Duff. He's going to look left and there's Slash, it might be a little overwhelming.

Coachella festivals in general are about the hits and classics. I doubt they will be playing much CD or deep cuts. Slash might bring Double Talkin Jive or Bad Obsession but mostly it's The Godfather theme before SCOM right?

Coachella festivals in general are about the hits and classics. I doubt they will be playing much CD or deep cuts. Slash might bring Double Talkin Jive or Bad Obsession but mostly it's The Godfather theme before SCOM right?

Yeah, he'll probably noodle for 5 minutes for shits and giggles and Godfather or some shit. It's gonna be great. Coachella is a good idea, if they can bring it, but it's in 4 months so Axl will probably bring it. Love you half as much as me and straight to Better.

Why not? Axl let Tommy and Bumble play their solo songs at shows. And the two big VR hits have more commercial value than anything nu guns have done. If Axl really is willing to have Kushner on board, I can't see him then being too bothered playing Slither or something. It'd be a nice compromise from having inflated egos right from the word go..

The Kush inclusion is surely just a wild rumour!? I don't mind him, if there must be a third guitarist, he'd be okay. But I haven't taken that rumour seriously, and I'm not convinced Axl would be open to it.

Yeah he let the others play their songs, but in the current context of this regrouping, I don't think he'd allow that or do VR stuff. They'll concentrate on GNR material, which for Axl includes CD. Maybe the odd Motorhead or Bowie song thrown in, but nothing from the side-bands. Whether that's Slash or Fortus. So if Bumble were in this line-up, his solo stuff wouldn't get played either, things will be much more GNR focused.

That seems the obvious approach to me, and it's what I expect, but of course I could be wrong.

Yeah, I'm not a musician, just a music fan. That's ok, even people who don't play instruments can know what they like and know what sounds like shit to them. And as someone who listens to music, a lot of music, there's nothing amazing about that album. My opinion of course, but it's sub par in comparison to other GNR songs, and all other songs I like in general. There's nothing I like about it, and while people can pretend that the consensus means nothing, the fact that there is no demand to hear these songs, or any indication that they even exist other than on this here forum, speaks volumes of what the prevailing thought is. You can certainly disagree with the mass majority of public opinion, but you can't disregard it as if it doesn't even exist.

That't in all likelyhood because you are no longer, or possibly never have been a fan of real rock.

I recall you mentioning Bon Jovi "rocked the house" at a recent concert, so perspective I suppose is in order in relation to your hating on CD.

And that's fine.

But CD is the best rock album put out in a long long time, and may be the last given music in general is in the shithole now.

You obviously have me confused with someone else. I'm sure I've never uttered the words "Bon Jovi rocked the house" :lol: , though I do like them and have seen them in concert. I like a lot of different music and a lot of different bands. I assume most people do.

I think it's funny though how it's got to be all or nothing with some people, especially GNR posters here for some odd reason. You can consider yourself a fan of a band, but if you don't love their entire catalog of material ever recorded and released, or if you don't agree with every decision made, that somehow makes you a hater and not a real fan. That's weird to me.

CD is the best rock album in a long time? That's freakin hilarious, but ok, your opinion.

fair enough,

but I didn't say best rock CD of all time, I said in a "long time"

but i would love to hear what you think say in the last ten years was better.

"Bon Jovis greatest Hits" ? :headbang:

I think you are missing what I am saying though.

All I am saying is that the band getting back together and playing the old Guns songs will, IMHO be a reunion tour, much like what the Stones, or Skynard have been doing for years.

And that kind of thing obviously has a following as they continue to sell out when they do it.

Would it be cool to see them all on stage together? yea.

If Axl has new material and the new/old band wants to get together and put it out together that would be "getting back together", And with a few old songs mixed in along with a few from CD.

But the chances of this show actually going off , I'm still doubting it

Edited by shades