Guns N’ Roses Coachella Lineup Press Release

Can't really understand why so many people are opting for Matt. Matt was a hired hand, never contributed anything and the way his drums sounded on the UYI tour was horrific.No feel for the songs at all. I consider the image talk absurd but since it was brought up, well, imagewise he was the odd one out. Everyone there was beautiful back then and Matt was ugly as shit and looking like a toothless village grandmother of 60.

All he had to himself was a very loud mouth and entirely unjustified feeling of self-importance. Guess he thought he was a real GNR member and that was delusional. Yeah, he was inducted in the HOF but his and Gilby's induction is something I will never understand.

I'm not even a big fan of Sorum but this is clearly bollocks. He played on twenty-six original studio songs and fourteen studio cover songs, a bigger contribution than any drummer in Guns N' Roses's history, and played 194 shows on the mammoth Use Your Illusion World Tour! Additionally, Gilby was never inducted in the Hall of Fame.

So he played drums that were largely already invented and weren't any good and? or me a contribution would be writing a song or a part of it. And yes I already wrote I made a mistake with Gilby, he was there and I got confused years after, don't make a big deal out of it...

I never realised songwriting validated one's band member status. In fact many drummers are not songwriting contributors for their respective bands, case in part Adler, Charlie Watts, Keith Moon and Ringo (until 1968). In fact there are singers (Roger Daltrey) and guitarists also (Brian Jones) who were not songwriting contributors to their bands!

Back to the drawing board I'm afraid old boy?

Yeah, many drummers didn't write songs which is why they are hardly ever considered very important members, sorry to dissapoint you. And I already said, the drums he contributed were not good enough as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I'm an old girl, not an old boy.

I want people to say Frank Ferrer isn't better than Matt Sorum. Like, if people don't want Matt involved, at least admit that its because of preference. Cause, seriously, they both have the same amount of merit to be there. They are both replacements, they are both fine drummers, and neither is Steven. Sorum played on way more, but I'll let that slide.

I just need people to tell me they don't think Frank Ferrer has more of a reason to be on this reunion than Matt Sorum.

Of course he doesn't have any more of a reason. Sorum himself said it that Adler was a huge part of the band's sound. Sorum/Frank/Brain and anyone else who might happen to play the songs will never replace what Adler helped create. It is just sad that Steven himself made such a mess of his own life and then further complicated everything by suing/badmouthing his former bandmates repeatedly.

I'm hoping Eddie Trunk's report comes true and Steven is involved with the show in some way. Sounds like they are going to give him a chance to be part of it. Hopefully he doesn't fuck it up by playing hardball on the negotiations.

I know nothing, but I'm 100% certain Steven and maybe Izzy will be at Coachella. No idea about beyond, but they are definitely giving Steven a chance. Not even saying that cause Trunk thinks it. I just think now that we know he's not the official drummer, there is no harm, for one event, giving him the kit for a song or two. There's no way he's not getting a shot.

Can't really understand why so many people are opting for Matt. Matt was a hired hand, never contributed anything and the way his drums sounded on the UYI tour was horrific.No feel for the songs at all. I consider the image talk absurd but since it was brought up, well, imagewise he was the odd one out. Everyone there was beautiful back then and Matt was ugly as shit and looking like a toothless village grandmother of 60.

All he had to himself was a very loud mouth and entirely unjustified feeling of self-importance. Guess he thought he was a real GNR member and that was delusional. Yeah, he was inducted in the HOF but his and Gilby's induction is something I will never understand.

I'm not even a big fan of Sorum but this is clearly bollocks. He played on twenty-six original studio songs and fourteen studio cover songs, a bigger contribution than any drummer in Guns N' Roses's history, and played 194 shows on the mammoth Use Your Illusion World Tour! Additionally, Gilby was never inducted in the Hall of Fame.

So he played drums that were largely already invented and weren't any good and? or me a contribution would be writing a song or a part of it. And yes I already wrote I made a mistake with Gilby, he was there and I got confused years after, don't make a big deal out of it...

I never realised songwriting validated one's band member status. In fact many drummers are not songwriting contributors for their respective bands, case in part Adler, Charlie Watts, Keith Moon and Ringo (until 1968). In fact there are singers (Roger Daltrey) and guitarists also (Brian Jones) who were not songwriting contributors to their bands!

There's a big difference between a guy like Adler who clearly contributed to the trademark sound of the band while Sorum actually took away from that trademark sound. His most memorable moment was written by Duff (the drum intro for YCBM). The drumming on UYI does not stand out whereas it is an important part of Appetite (as are the other 4 instruments).

A world tour with the original 5 is not realistic. The UYI line-up with Gilby doesn't make sense. I agree that Matt should be there instead of Frank.

Of course it would make sense. Unlike Fortus and Ferrer, he has been in the band with Slash and Duff. They had been playing together constantly over the past 20 years. They are friends. And I'd take Gilby over Fortus anytime. No NuGNR member should be part of this "reunion", but of course, would Axl let that happen, he would conced that he has failed. Also he needs some people backing him unconditionally. Matt and Gilby won't be those people.

Yeah, many drummers didn't write songs which is why they are hardly ever considered very important members, sorry to dissapoint you. And I already said, the drums he contributed were not good enough as far as I'm concerned. Plus, I'm an old girl, not an old boy.

Really? I can think of many drummers who were considered 'very important' yet did not write material; Moon the Loon was the beating heart of the 'Oo.

At least admit it is your subjectivity which is dictating why you do not like Sorum, as any objective analyse of his contribution (three studio albums and 194 shows) would mark him out as an important member

There's a big difference between a guy like Adler who clearly contributed to the trademark sound of the band while Sorum actually took away from that trademark sound. His most memorable moment was written by Duff (the drum intro for YCBM). The drumming on UYI does not stand out whereas it is an important part of Appetite (as are the other 4 instruments).

I actually prefer Adler and somewhat agree with you, but I cannot deny Sorum his contribution.

Or to put it another way, to dislike Sorum's drums is to dislike the drums on 68% of (old) Guns N' Roses's studio output and 48% of (old and new) Guns N' Roses's studio output.

You essentially dislike a great chunk of their (Guns N' Roses's) drumming then!

Edited by DieselDaisy

Unless you have someone actually tell the drummer exactly how to play drums, every drummer writes his or her own "notes" into the song/music. This is why I disagree with "Adler didn't write anything into AFD" statements. Same goes for Sorum and UYI albums.

I actually prefer Adler and somewhat agree with you, but I cannot deny Sorum his contribution.

Or to put it another way, to dislike Sorum's drums is to dislike the drums on 68% of (old) Guns N' Roses's studio output and 48% of (old and new) Guns N' Roses's studio output.

Well yes, I do because the Appetite lineup might have been the best rock band ever. It was a perfect mixture of a unique voice, amazing guitar sounds, kickass punk rock bass, and swing/funk/Queen inspired drumming. Mix it all together and it is the greatest hard rock album ever. UYI still had a lot of great songs, but they were missing something and that was Adler IMHO.

• Like 1

Well yes, I do because the Appetite lineup might have been the best rock band ever. It was a perfect mixture of a unique voice, amazing guitar sounds, kickass punk rock bass, and swing/funk/Queen inspired drumming. Mix it all together and it is the greatest hard rock album ever. UYI still had a lot of great songs, but they were missing something and that was Adler IMHO.

I agree 100% but the Illusion period existed, and if you are ever going to play songs like November Rain and Estranged at a reunion, you will hear a far more authentic version with Matt Sorum on drums than you would Frank.

• Like 1

Really? I can think of many drummers who were considered 'very important' yet did not write material; Moon the Loon was the beating heart of the 'Oo.

At least admit it is your subjectivity which is dictating why you do not like Sorum, as any objective analyse of his contribution (three studio albums and 194 shows) would mark him out as an important member

The difference between Keith Moon and Matt Sorum is so obvious that making any such comparisons to prove ypur point is just plain sensless.

No, Matt was not an important member of GNR. Whoever was in his place back then would be jus as good. Nothing would change. You can't say that about Moon and The Who and you can't say that about Adler, that's the difference.

I don't think there's anything too kooky about it. Everybody knows Chinese Democracy was kind of a bust. You can't expect them to put that in the press release. Though "Former members" is kind of weird when you consider Axl, Slash and Duff are technically partners. Richard, Frank and whoever else are there because it's way more expensive to pay Izzy and Matt Sorum.

The difference between Keith Moon and Matt Sorum is so obvious that making any such comparisons to prove ypur point is just plain sensless.

No, Matt was not an important member of GNR. Whoever was in his place back then would be jus as good. Nothing would change. You can't say that about Moon and The Who and you can't say that about Adler, that's the difference.

Undoubtedly true about the Moon analogy, however someone had to drum and it was Adler and Sorum. It must pain you whenever you listen to GN'R's studio albums, hating the drums on them as you do. I repeat, 68% of old GN'R's drums consist of Sorum.

Undoubtedly true about the Moon analogy, however someone had to drum and it was Adler and Sorum. It must pain you whenever you listen to GN'R's studio albums, hating the drums on them as you do. I repeat, 68% of old GN'R's drums consist of Sorum.

Painful is an exaggeration, I got used to it. But, yes, it did bother me back then how these drums sound and to a point it does still. I'm not that fond of Adler as a man (I was until he wrote a book in which he portrayed himself like a half intelligent idiot and I just don't like unintelligent people) but his drumming was way better and more fitting the songs.

Painful is an exaggeration, I got used to it. But, yes, it did bother me back then how these drums sound and to a point it does still. I'm not that fond of Adler as a man (I was until he wrote a book in which he portrayed himself like a half intelligent idiot and I just don't like unintelligent people) but his drumming was way better and more fitting the songs.

I don't really enjoy Matt as a person but I like his drumming in GNR. Frank seems like a nice guy but I dislike his drumming in gnr.

Ok so it's probably the rumored hybrid lineup then. The other players are not mentioned by coachella because they know it waters the news down. I have been trying to think about what is bothering me about this and I think I would have been ok with three original players on stage if they were only five. Now that there are seven of them, or perhaps even eight, the stage will be dominated by anonymous characters with no legacy and that makes it feel less special. For some reason I think of dizzy as NuGuns in the company of as much as three other NuGuns members even if I would have been totally ok with him if it was a complete or almost complete classic GNR lineup. Perhaps irrational on my part. Funny though how someone who's been around from the time when Matt joined can have that few supporters... Mind-boggling even.

Either way I really just want them to succeed and not tarnish their legacy, and I don't want them to go about this as "the music happening of the century" and then it all falls on its face because they overestimated the impact. A majority of ticket buyers will have had an interest in the band in the past. Some of you seem to think the audience will be dominated by 20 year olds that like paradise city but I disagree. The people considering going might not remember the name of Izzy stradlin without a reminder but they recognize the classic lineups and they will want the real deal, they will want something new added (new as in differentiated from NuGuns). Now it's really just one added player. Duff played with both the other guys through the years and believe me, this Axl-Slash feud is NOT as legendary outside the rock world, so that dimension might not be enough to draw huge crowds. All in all, I would feel ok with this if one more classic member was added and one of the newer members left. I think that would be enough.

As time passes it's becoming painfully obvious that Slash and Duff have joined NuGuns. This is not a reunion. Pittman was responsible for the theater teaser. Axl bungled a planned TV appearance. The press release was laughably stilted towards Axl. Fans are left to play detective to try and piece together what's actually going on. Passive aggressive tweets are sent blaming fans. And what's that smell in the air? Oh it's NuGuns.

What "passive aggressive" tweets do you refer to, sir?

Crikey - last of the good Samaritans here!!

I don't really enjoy Matt as a person but I like his drumming in GNR. Frank seems like a nice guy but I dislike his drumming in gnr.

Genetically splice them together to create a clone, a Nordic looking black guy with percussion skills and a nice demeanour.

• Like 1

I agree 100% but the Illusion period existed, and if you are ever going to play songs like November Rain and Estranged at a reunion, you will hear a far more authentic version with Matt Sorum on drums than you would Frank.

I don't disagree, it's just that the drumming on those songs is not anywhere near as important as the piano, voice, guitar, and lyrics. With a song like Brownstone or Rocket Queen, everything was important. The drumming was incredible and everything else was too. Lyrics, vocals, guitars, bass...all of it.

With a song like Brownstone or Rocket Queen, everything was important. The drumming was incredible and everything else was too. Lyrics, vocals, guitars, bass...all of it.

And yet Frank is turning the Brownstone intro into a mess...

Exactly. Steven is the only guy who could ever do it right. It's a unique song in many respects featuring the most unique guitar riffs from Slash and Izzy, Axl's most unique voice, and some badass drum/bass groove. And the lyrics are freaking awesome. It might be the very best GN'R song.

There are drummers that can really give respect to AFD songs but obviously Frank is not one of them. That's what I love about SMKC - Todd, Brent and Frank (Sidoris :P) play the same way as Duff, Steven and Izzy used to. Note for note. From the beginning to the end. There's no space for own contribution. It's classic stuff that needs to be respected.

• Like 1