Guns N’ Roses Coachella Lineup Press Release

Press release with no press conference. Genius marketing.

The mystery box theory keeps spreading since JJ Abrams used it on Cloverfield and Star Wars the Force Awakens, and now with Valencia aka
10 Cloverfield Lane (Sequal to Cloverfield)
. Now we have to wait and see what Axl and the boys (whomever they might be) have up their sleeves. yea that part im still needing to see to believe

They're just going to have to have all three drummers on stage playing at the same time. It'll be KISS Unplugged style where Peter Criss and Eric Singer drummed at the same time. While we're at it, call back every past musician who has been in the band and we'll just get like 20 guys up there. The more tambourines on Jungle, the better.

• Like 1

It has been the way of bands to place replacements on a contract thus making them technically a hired hand; Ron Wood was on the pay-roll until Wyman left, for a period of c.fifteen years - does that make him any less a 'Stone' during this period? Should we consequentially reiterate that he was a 'hired hand' and dismiss his contributions during that period, only to (hypocritically) embrace him when he was giving some legal standing? Usually fans are not aware of, or do not concern themselves with, the legal minutiae in bands and merely consider band members based on the manner in which said members are marketed. ''Matt Sorum'' appeared under ''Guns N' Roses'' or ''Guns N' Roses is'' (alongside Axl, Slash etc.) in marketing. On the official Illusion band photo,

gnr_circa_uyi.jpg

There are six band members present, one of which is Matt Sorum - NB Shannon Hoon, Del James and West Arkeen are not present. (Sorum is actually more prominent than Izzy and Dizzy in that picture.) This is how most people interpreted, what constituted ''Guns N' Roses''.

Further, the possibility did exist for Sorum to have been hired as a non-band member, i.e. a backing musician. This would have been eccentric as drummers are seen as pivotal to rock bands and usually Incorporated into the primary band, the procedure applying more to backing musicians (e.g. Teddy Andreadis) and/or backing singers (e.g. Tracey Amos and Roberta Freeman) - but possible; bass players after all are seen as equally pivotal and we have only to witness Darryl Jones's status in the Stones' setup.

Yet clearly Guns did not apply this to Matt. The Tokyo video's credits are set out thus,

''Guns N' Roses

Axl

Slash

Duff

Matt

Dizzy

Gilby

Guests

Cece Worrall-Rubin, Lisa Maxwell, Anne King

Tracey Amos, Roberta Freeman

Ted Andreadis''

In other words, Guns specify that Matt is 'Guns N' Roses'; they further make the distinction between 'Guns N' Roses' and 'Guests', placing Matt on the former list and not the latter. Why wasn't Sorum on the guests? He should be if the argument is correct, that ''he was never a band-member'', or someone who is ''less than a genuine band-member''! Was this an oversight? (Gilby was also included as 'Guns N' Roses' incidentally.)

From my rough glance at track-listings, Matt Sorum performed on forty-one studio recordings (basically, Illusion, Spaghetti Incident and ''Sympathy for the Devil'', minus ''Civil War'', ''My World'' and ''You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory''), twenty-six of which were original songs. And the fact he played on original songs is pertinent as Guns are woefully short on original material. This was more, by a considerable mile than any other drummer in Guns N' Roses; Steven possesses twenty; Chinese is a mess in regards to creditation but there are fourteen songs present. Further, Matt Sorum doubled up as an extra percussionist (''Dust N' Bones", "Double Talkin' Jive", "The Garden" and "Coma) and backing vocalist (''So Fine'', ''November Rain'', ''Bad Apples'').

If studio prolificacy counts for anything in GN'R, the band being short in regards to discography, Matt wins the race hands down. Matt's studio prolificacy I believe was the main reason the Hall of Fame elected to induct him, but not Gilby.

Additionally, Matt Sorum performed 194 shows under Guns N' Roses when Guns N' Roses were at their absolute (commercial) peak. The venues Steven played were Hammersmith Odeon, Manchester Apollo, Ritz, and The Budokan, venues of the 5,000 mark. Towards the very end of the Appetite tour they were playing arenas, of around the 13,000 capacity, but only for a short period in Asia/Australasia; don't forget also that they were supporting bands (Alice, The Cult, Maiden), through a lot of that period. The venues Matt played were the (and I have deliberately opted for the same geographic locations): Wembley (80,000), Maine Road, Tokyo Dome and Madison Square Gardens - and this was their own tour! In other words, Sorum was playing to big bull-busting stadium capacities!

The point I am trying to make here is, far more people saw Matt drum for Guns than any other drummer. To the millions who saw the Illusion tour, Sorum was their drummer. If you saw the Paris PPV, as many did, that was Sorum; if you bought the Tokyo VHS, that was Matt. Sorum was the drummer who appeared on their big pompous videos which played on MTV: ''November Rain'', ''Don't Cry'', etc. He was many people's GN'R drummer, and to dismiss him as ''not a proper member'', placing him on the same pedestal as ''Tracey and Roberta or DJ Ashba'', a guy who didn't contribute a note of music to Guns, is not only factually incorrect but somewhat insulting.

Ironically, I'm a bigger fan of Adler but I cannot deny the testament of Matt's contribution.

Only some butt-hurt lunatics would argue with that.

It has been the way of bands to place replacements on a contract thus making them technically a hired hand; Ron Wood was on the pay-roll until Wyman left, for a period of c.fifteen years - does that make him any less a 'Stone' during this period? Should we consequentially reiterate that he was a 'hired hand' and dismiss his contributions during that period, only to (hypocritically) embrace him when he was giving some legal standing? Usually fans are not aware of, or do not concern themselves with, the legal minutiae in bands and merely consider band members based on the manner in which said members are marketed. ''Matt Sorum'' appeared under ''Guns N' Roses'' or ''Guns N' Roses is'' (alongside Axl, Slash etc.) in marketing. On the official Illusion band photo,

gnr_circa_uyi.jpg

There are six band members present, one of which is Matt Sorum - NB Shannon Hoon, Del James and West Arkeen are not present. (Sorum is actually more prominent than Izzy and Dizzy in that picture.) This is how most people interpreted, what constituted ''Guns N' Roses''.

Further, the possibility did exist for Sorum to have been hired as a non-band member, i.e. a backing musician. This would have been eccentric as drummers are seen as pivotal to rock bands and usually Incorporated into the primary band, the procedure applying more to backing musicians (e.g. Teddy Andreadis) and/or backing singers (e.g. Tracey Amos and Roberta Freeman) - but possible; bass players after all are seen as equally pivotal and we have only to witness Darryl Jones's status in the Stones' setup.

Yet clearly Guns did not apply this to Matt. The Tokyo video's credits are set out thus,

''Guns N' Roses

Axl

Slash

Duff

Matt

Dizzy

Gilby

Guests

Cece Worrall-Rubin, Lisa Maxwell, Anne King

Tracey Amos, Roberta Freeman

Ted Andreadis''

In other words, Guns specify that Matt is 'Guns N' Roses'; they further make the distinction between 'Guns N' Roses' and 'Guests', placing Matt on the former list and not the latter. Why wasn't Sorum on the guests? He should be if the argument is correct, that ''he was never a band-member'', or someone who is ''less than a genuine band-member''! Was this an oversight? (Gilby was also included as 'Guns N' Roses' incidentally.)

From my rough glance at track-listings, Matt Sorum performed on forty-one studio recordings (basically, Illusion, Spaghetti Incident and ''Sympathy for the Devil'', minus ''Civil War'', ''My World'' and ''You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory''), twenty-six of which were original songs. And the fact he played on original songs is pertinent as Guns are woefully short on original material. This was more, by a considerable mile than any other drummer in Guns N' Roses; Steven possesses twenty; Chinese is a mess in regards to creditation but there are fourteen songs present. Further, Matt Sorum doubled up as an extra percussionist (''Dust N' Bones", "Double Talkin' Jive", "The Garden" and "Coma) and backing vocalist (''So Fine'', ''November Rain'', ''Bad Apples'').

If studio prolificacy counts for anything in GN'R, the band being short in regards to discography, Matt wins the race hands down. Matt's studio prolificacy I believe was the main reason the Hall of Fame elected to induct him, but not Gilby.

Additionally, Matt Sorum performed 194 shows under Guns N' Roses when Guns N' Roses were at their absolute (commercial) peak. The venues Steven played were Hammersmith Odeon, Manchester Apollo, Ritz, and The Budokan, venues of the 5,000 mark. Towards the very end of the Appetite tour they were playing arenas, of around the 13,000 capacity, but only for a short period in Asia/Australasia; don't forget also that they were supporting bands (Alice, The Cult, Maiden), through a lot of that period. The venues Matt played were the (and I have deliberately opted for the same geographic locations): Wembley (80,000), Maine Road, Tokyo Dome and Madison Square Gardens - and this was their own tour! In other words, Sorum was playing to big bull-busting stadium capacities!

The point I am trying to make here is, far more people saw Matt drum for Guns than any other drummer. To the millions who saw the Illusion tour, Sorum was their drummer. If you saw the Paris PPV, as many did, that was Sorum; if you bought the Tokyo VHS, that was Matt. Sorum was the drummer who appeared on their big pompous videos which played on MTV: ''November Rain'', ''Don't Cry'', etc. He was many people's GN'R drummer, and to dismiss him as ''not a proper member'', placing him on the same pedestal as ''Tracey and Roberta or DJ Ashba'', a guy who didn't contribute a note of music to Guns, is not only factually incorrect but somewhat insulting.

Ironically, I'm a bigger fan of Adler but I cannot deny the testament of Matt's contribution.

Terrific post. 100% true.

• Like 1

My sources (my bosses, main organisatiors) at exit festival in Serbia said that GnR are "expensive as fuck" compared to their fee in 2012 when they played here and they are not even considering paying that for the festival or for the single concert in Belgrade or something because it's not worth it, in 2012 Axl said that he didn't want to have any dj's playing after them (GnR should have finished at like 2am and dj's would be playing music until 7am) 3 hours before the start and they had to give double money to those dj's for not performing :lol:

• Like 1

My sources (my bosses, main organisatiors) at exit festival in Serbia said that GnR are "expensive as fuck" compared to their fee in 2012 when they played here and they are not even considering paying that for the festival or for the single concert in Belgrade or something because it's not worth it, in 2012 Axl said that he didn't want to have any dj's playing after them (GnR should have finished at like 2am and dj's would be playing music until 7am) 3 hours before the start and they had to give double money to those dj's for not performing :lol:

Yeah and attendance was half that year what it was the year before and the year after, think they really regret paying for GNR that year.

• Like 1

Yeah and attendance was half that year what it was the year before and the year after, think they really regret paying for GNR that year.

Yeah, I work for exit since 2013 and since then it's like: "you do not talk or ask about 2012" :lol: It's actually pretty funny that Motorhead with Lemmy in his 69th year and with endless problems on concerts before that are well known sold more tickets last year than G'n'R in '12 and G'n'R is huuuuuge rock band in Serbia (arguably top 4 with RHCP, Metallica and Iron Maiden), people trusted more to Motorhead with sick Lemmy than Axl's G'n'R.

They'll need a really good promotion to sell more than arenas anywhere, not that it's bad to sell 12-20k but casual fans won't buy tickets for this because they'll still think that Axl won't sing well and will be late and stuff, the same people that saw them on the last tour will buy tickets for this tour with some new faces but I don't think that reunion with Slash will make that many people buy tickets. I think that they will sell out arenas that were close to selling out last time and continue to sell same arenas that were sold out before. I can only see selling out stadiums if they have like 5 dates in Europe. One in England, Holland/Belgium, France, Germany and Russia or something like that

• Like 3

Yeah, I work for exit since 2013 and since then it's like: "you do not talk or ask about 2012" :lol: It's actually pretty funny that Motorhead with Lemmy in his 69th year and with endless problems on concerts before that are well known sold more tickets last year than G'n'R in '12 and G'n'R is huuuuuge rock band in Serbia (arguably top 4 with RHCP, Metallica and Iron Maiden), people trusted more to Motorhead with sick Lemmy than Axl's G'n'R.

They'll need a really good promotion to sell more than arenas anywhere, not that it's bad to sell 12-20k but casual fans won't buy tickets for this because they'll still think that Axl won't sing well and will be late and stuff, the same people that saw them on the last tour will buy tickets for this tour with some new faces but I don't think that reunion with Slash will make that many people buy tickets. I think that they will sell out arenas that were close to selling out last time and continue to sell same arenas that were sold out before. I can only see selling out stadiums if they have like 5 dates in Europe. One in England, Holland/Belgium, France, Germany and Russia or something like that

Oh, no, man, reunion with Slash changes everything. Basically for the first time in 23 years people will be buying tickets for GNR that did not exist since 1993. That will put the ticket sales in a different league as compared with Axl's GNR. Even despite his lack of voice these days.

Oh, no, man, reunion with Slash changes everything. Basically for the first time in 23 years people will be buying tickets for GNR that did not exist since 1993. That will put the ticket sales in a different league as compared with Axl's GNR. Even despite his lack of voice these days.

I really can't see that. I work as a booker for two stages on exit festival this year (Fusion and Explosive stage, Amir will know :lol: ) and I really need to do my research on what people want and what people think and I won't book GNR for those stages but I talk to a lot of people and read a lot on and off the internet and people won't buy tickets solely on having Axl and Slash together. It would have worked in 2009 and 2010 but not so much now. It will work if they kick ass as JaxTeller said but I can't really see that if they don't somehow brainwash Axl. People are doing more research on the internet now than just 5 years ago before buying tickets especially because they are more and more expensive every year. If they don't somehow show people that they kick ass they won't sell many more than on their last tour I can guarantee that.

Edited by Nicklord
  • Like 1

Yeah, I totally made that LA Radio rumor up.

Okay, I've cleaned up this thread in light of Teejay's admission this was made up. I get that a few of you have had a game going to see who could come up with ludicrous rumours for clickbait sites however this was a little too plausible. :facepalm:

Consider this a general warning to knock off this sort of posting as it spreads much wider than mygnr right now and doesn't exactly create a great impression for anyone coming here looking for genuine news.

That said, well played Teejay :lol: but do it again and we'll take it more seriously!

• Like 2

Yeah, I totally made that LA Radio rumor up.

Okay, I've cleaned up this thread in light of Teejay's admission this was made up. I get that a few of you have had a game going to see who could come up with ludicrous rumours for clickbait sites however this was a little too plausible. :facepalm:

Consider this a general warning to knock off this sort of posting as it spreads much wider than mygnr right now and doesn't exactly create a great impression for anyone coming here looking for genuine news.

That said, well played Teejay :lol: but do it again and we'll take it more seriously!

My apologies, I've had my fun! Haha

• Like 3

Remember when some of us didn't like this look?

If we'd only know about that mustache.

Never really complained in 2016, cause I don't really care how he looks. But honestly I'm not a fan of those braids. Much prefer his look since 2010. Axl only needs to focus on losing weight and he'll be fine.

I actually didn't mind the pulled back braids. He had a mean look in 06. 2010 was great too...should have kept the goatee.

Remember when some of us didn't like this look?

wenn821162.jpg

If we'd only know about that mustache.

Crazy that was 10 years ago. Time does fly.

He still had that fire in his eyes.

cornrows.jpg

He just looks tired now. I don't think he looks too bad, he just looks tired.

article-2306273-19305333000005DC-183_634

RVckq2D.jpg

Edited by cooker

Looking at those post-2010 pictures right after some 2006 pictures, you can see he hasn't actually changed all that much. He's just really bloated - no doubt, that's just what your body does in your fifties when you like to drink. Nothing that a bit of cutting back and a workout routine with Duff couldn't fix. He wouldn't look like 2006 again - that's ten years ago - but he'd at the least slim a bit and have improved cardio for the tour.

• Like 1