Did DJ and BF leave because they knew about the reunion?

I don't think anyone gives a flying rats fuck to be honest. Not being rude, i quite like Bumble (Ashba was a total quim tho!), just stating facts, most GnR fans would not object to most of the members of NuGuns being rounded up and shot in the streets by firing squad if it meant some semblence of a reunion, which is apparently what we have here.

Yeah, I don't think "most GNR fans" are that psychotic.

Oh have a day off Sherlock, for fuckssake :lol:

I keep reading posts about lots of speculation about why DJ and BF left the band when they did in multiple threads for the last few months. It baffles my mind how so many people don't see the connection between the reunion and their departures.

My theory is, Slash and Axl have been friendly for some time now. Maybe going back as far as 2014. No question their relationship was cordial by summer 2015. Surly the guys in 'nuGNR' were privy to this and saw the writing on the wall (that a reunion was inevitable at that point). I believe DJ bowed out gracefully, making the decision for Axl to work with Slash again in GNR all the more easier. I also believe that Bumble was so cryptic about everything because, although he suspected a potential reunion, he wanted to leave the door open in the event it didn't actually happen or GNR decided to retain 3 guitarists (Fortus, Slash, Bumble... for example). I can't blame the guy, either. GNR was a good paycheck for them and with Slash on board, an even bigger payday would be in play for them.

What do you think? Did DJ and Bumble leave on their own accord not knowing about a reunion (IE- tired of GNR inactivity and lack of releasing new material)? Or do you believe they saw a reunion coming and stepped aside?

If it's the latter... I commend DJ for bowing out like he did, stepping aside so something bigger than him could take place. And find it a little crappy on Bumble's part... leaving everyone guessing and milking the GNR name. Last time I checked, DJ wasn't playing gig's full of GNR songs that he didn't write. BF really has left a bad taste in my mouth.

It was a good bit of both.

Interesting thread to read through, it has also rekindled my desire to get an e-reader (and continue Duff's book).

I think it's obvious both BBF & DJ knew a reunion was possible after Duff joined them for many gigs. Hate him or love him, DJ got out at the right time. The touring was over, if there truly was a new album that still doesn't guarantee it would ever get released. Sure, he could take the chance he'd end up touring another 4-5 years on the same setlist or wait to get set aside for the reunion? He had his steady gig with Sixx AM to fall back on as well as other projects. I say given the track record of GnR, it was a smart move by DJ, it certainly wont hurt his reputation.

I imagine BBF having had a more difficult choice to quit and return to a solo career given the exposure he got through guns, resulting in odd experiments like the short lived Art of Anarchy. I don't blame him for the way he's handled things, he has been in GnR for over a decade and I'm sure if he knew he had a future with the band he'd have stayed.

I keep thinking back to what Chris Slade (AC/DC's current drummer) said about leaving AC/DC, once Angus & Malcolm told him they'd approached Phil Rudd again to come in and play again he knew he was out so he quit right away; there is some dignity in that and I think deep down these players know when it's time to step aside.

In the case of Ashba & BBF (especially), I hope they will still get to perform with the band in some fashion.

I don't think anyone gives a flying rats fuck to be honest. Not being rude, i quite like Bumble (Ashba was a total quim tho!), just stating facts, most GnR fans would not object to most of the members of NuGuns being rounded up and shot in the streets by firing squad if it meant some semblence of a reunion, which is apparently what we have here.

Well, one of em is

Well, one of em is

And one of ems a thick cunt :lol:

I don't disagree that there have been forces behind the reunion, but I firmly believe that Axl did not indulge in the idea until August of last year, or soon after he found out that he'd have to replace not one but two guitarists. Perhaps people associated with Slash and Duff were working towards this goal, but I don't think anyone with or in GNR was seriously considering it until this past summer.

I'm not doubting that you have reliable sources. But I'm not sure if I necessarily agree with your interpretation of the stuff that you've heard.

I bet that in the last couple of years Axl and the GNR camp have told everyone that CD2 is the primary focus, but obviously that has not been the case. Otherwise DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot wouldn't have had any reason to quit. IMO it seems very likely that Axl's real primary focus has been the negotiations with Slash. There's been so much bad blood between those two that those negotiations must have taken a very long time.

When Eddie Trunk revealed in 2014 that a GNR reunion has been put to motion, he wasn't talking crap. Most likely he had some very good sources. Naturally Axl was hesitant at first. I bet that "Stay Of Execution" was some kind of a backup plan, in case the negotiations with Slash would have failed. Maybe it would have been another Vegas residency? But when Axl let the Stay Of Execution trademark expire, it seemed pretty obvious that what ever those plans were, they were scrapped. Meanwhile DJ left the band.

Your sources say that Axl was disappointed and surprised when DJ left. That's probably true on some level. After all he didn't have any lead guitarists left in case the negotiations with Slash would fail. But if Axl would REALLY have cared, he wouldn't have let DJ Ashba leave the band so easily. Everyone knows how much DJ wanted to be in GNR. It was pretty much his biggest dream come true. It wouldn't have taken a lot of effort from Axl to keep him in the band. But it seems pretty obvious that Axl didn't really care, (cause Slash was coming back).

We don't know how much DJ knew about the whole Slash thing. But he must have know that something wasn't right. Just like in a relationship you usually know if the other person is cheating on you. Similarly DJ must have known that Axl was planning something that didn't involve him, even if he didn't know all the details.

Because of your sources you assume that the GNR camp wasn't seriously considering a reunion with Slash before this past summer. I'm sure that's true in the sense that before the summer Axl and Slash still disagreed on certain things. Surely last summer was some kind of a turning point. But instead of being the starting point of all the negotiations with Slash, I have a feeling that last summer was actually the moment when they got all their differences sorted out and Slash was pretty much officially back in GNR.

But yeah, this is all just speculation of course. None of us know the actual truth.

I don't disagree that there have been forces behind the reunion, but I firmly believe that Axl did not indulge in the idea until August of last year, or soon after he found out that he'd have to replace not one but two guitarists. Perhaps people associated with Slash and Duff were working towards this goal, but I don't think anyone with or in GNR was seriously considering it until this past summer.

I'm not doubting that you have reliable sources. But I'm not sure if I necessarily agree with your interpretation of the stuff that you've heard.

I bet that in the last couple of years Axl and the GNR camp have told everyone that CD2 is the primary focus, but obviously that has not been the case. Otherwise DJ Ashba and Bumblefoot wouldn't have had any reason to quit. IMO it seems very likely that Axl's real primary focus has been the negotiations with Slash. There's been so much bad blood between those two that those negotiations must have taken a very long time.

You're assuming that DJ and Bumblefoot would have contributions to CD2. I don't believe you're correct in that assumption.

You're assuming that DJ and Bumblefoot would have contributions to CD2. I don't believe you're correct in that assumption.

Arent there also qoutes from Bumble saying the band hadnt been in the studio since 2007?

Arent there also qoutes from Bumble saying the band hadnt been in the studio since 2007?

Which isn't true depending on how you define the word "band." It was probably that way for him, but I know that Axl and Chris were in the studio in July of 2015 working on material.

• Like 1

I don't know any more than what we have been told. Bumblefoot had done solos and stuff like that to certain songs. DJ had written songs that (according to him) Axl liked.

So you're saying that they both left the band because CD2 wouldn't have included any songs that they had written from the scratch as a band. I know that Bumblefoot had a problem with that and he might have left because of that reason precisely.

But I think the big question here is, why wasn't Axl interested in working on their songs? We all know that Axl really wanted DJ Ashba to join GNR. "If he even shows up, he has the gig" is a direct quote. So why would Axl have wanted DJ Ashba on board so much if he wasn't even gonna use him?

I think it's pretty understandable if Axl wanted to release CD2 first and then write completely new songs with DJ and Bumblefoot for CD3. And if that was the case, you'd think that Axl would have told them that. And if Axl told them you'd think that they would have understood it.

But that didn't happen. They just kept touring for no apparent reason. Surely at least DJ as the new guy would have been okay with the release of CD2 if it had meant that they can start working on songs for the next album after that. But it seems like there was no communication between Axl and the others. Like Axl couldn't have cared less. Why was Axl so enthusiastic about having DJ in the band and then suddenly for no apparent reason he wasn't interested about working with him any more?

Could it be because of Duff and Slash? To me it seems like the most obvious reason. But who knows...

I maybe wrong and 'am quite often.

No way do I believe that DJ , Tommy n bumble would leave guns n roses. I hope that this has been planned, maybe not planned but axl, slash n duff have being talking for way longer than August last year. This has been in the pipeline for way longer than that.

I don't know any more than what we have been told. Bumblefoot had done solos and stuff like that to certain songs. DJ had written songs that (according to him) Axl liked.

So you're saying that they both left the band because CD2 wouldn't have included any songs that they had written from the scratch as a band. I know that Bumblefoot had a problem with that and he might have left because of that reason precisely.

But I think the big question here is, why wasn't Axl interested in working on their songs? We all know that Axl really wanted DJ Ashba to join GNR. "If he even shows up, he has the gig" is a direct quote. So why would Axl have wanted DJ Ashba on board so much if he wasn't even gonna use him?

I think it's pretty understandable if Axl wanted to release CD2 first and then write completely new songs with DJ and Bumblefoot for CD3. And if that was the case, you'd think that Axl would have told them that. And if Axl told them you'd think that they would have understood it.

But that didn't happen. They just kept touring for no apparent reason. Surely at least DJ as the new guy would have been okay with the release of CD2 if it had meant that they can start working on songs for the next album after that. But it seems like there was no communication between Axl and the others. Like Axl couldn't have cared less. Why was Axl so enthusiastic about having DJ in the band and then suddenly for no apparent reason he wasn't interested about working with him any more?

Could it be because of Duff and Slash? To me it seems like the most obvious reason. But who knows...

You could very well be right. However, from what I know, I still hold that DJ felt he would have a better chance of contributing his music compositions to Sixx AM versus what he'd get on a new GNR album.

I was reminded that Axl's main priority is the music and this can come at the cost of hurting the egos of others. I'll just leave it at that.

Well, one of em is

And one of ems a thick cunt :lol:

Your cunt is thick?

:)

And yes, I'm messing with you :)

I believe the MSL story about Nikki Sixx letting DJ know that he needed him full time. I also believe that Axl would continue to work with his guys who have been in the band all these years. Remember, he has a different view of Guns N' Roses than most people do. He views it as an organization of which the players who have come and gone are contributors, but views himself as Guns N' Roses. I think once DJ was out, Axl probably felt comfortable to act on the idea reunion of classic line up members (but on his terms) by reaching out to the people who have consistently presented him with reunion strategy/opportunities all these years. I dont think he would have done so if DJ stayed with the band and Tommy not gone to play with The Replacements. Seems like a perfect storm to me.

Duff said that when he was on tour with Axl they talked reunion.

I think that it's always been Slash saying no to being in Guns. He gave his reasons and repeated them. But once Slash needed the money after the divorce he's back in.

I don't think Axl and Slash were on speaking terms back when Bumble handed in his resignation. When Slash was asked about his relationship with Axl during the mini-Duff reunion in April 2014 he said they still weren't speaking. Of course he could have been lying, but I think the reunion didn't come into motion until after the Vegas Residency ended and Bumble quit. Looking at what he was left with, namely Ashba, I guess Axl decided to give his old bandmate a call.

I also wonder how much old flames were responsible for this? Was Slash getting back with his ex Meegan and divorcing Perla a factor? What about Erin and Axl (have no idea if they have been in contact but she has been posting about him constantly on social media over the past year or two)?

I completely disagree. I say they were speaking before the last Vegas residency. If anyone admitted to that it would have buried slashs solo record before it came out and it would have buried the last Vegas residency before it began. All anyone would have focused on was reunion and it would have been worse. No way they just started speaking in August and all of a sudden decided to reunite in a matter of minutes

If they were speaking before April 2014 then why did the release of Appetite for Democracy get held up by Slash not initially signing off on it? The negotiations over the release of that may have been a contributing factor as well.Everything Axl says in the Revolver interview from the Golden Gods in April 2014 as well seems to point to him being against a reunion with Slash: http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/topic/207515-revolver-interview-with-axl-rose/

Held up?? They got released a few months after the Vegas residency ended. Who said things were worked out before the Vegas residency? I just said they were talking.. Aka marriage counseling. No proof they were hugging, having lunch, and exchanging Christmas cards.

What interview? He went to the golden gods, got up on stage and thanked all the lineups. That included slash. Axl Rose was fine with slash in 2014.

Duff said that when he was on tour with Axl they talked reunion.

I think that it's always been Slash saying no to being in Guns. He gave his reasons and repeated them. But once Slash needed the money after the divorce he's back in.

Bull. Slash has always said, or definitely since HOF, that he'd be open to a reunion under the right circumstances. He was never holding us back. He was the same as Duff who always basically said "maybe."

IMO, Axl has been thinking about the reunion since 1996. He knew that one day or another it would be the right time to get Slash back. For example, he didn't want Marc to release Reckless Road because he certainly thought that it would be better to release it when some sort of reunion would happen.