why do you think Matt is so OUT?

I got nothing against Frank, but I want to hear original drumming, not his improvisations.

Agree 100% with that.

Maybe with Slash and Duff back he'll tone it back a little bit and stay truer to the original recordings. I don't mind a little bit changed here or there.

I suppose one of the things about doing it this way is that they are actually staggering the reunion and not playing all their cards at once. Coachella are clearly willing to pay top dollar for Axl, Slash and Duff and the reuniting of Axl and Slash alone will probably carry a good 18 months of touring. Steven is probably too much of a liability to be involved to this extent but the full AFD 5 is still a card they can pull out further down the line, perhaps for the 30th Anniversary of AFD and do a smaller club tour or just shows at Whiskey/Troubadour etc..

From a business perspective it probably makes a lot of sense not to blow your load at once especially if festivals and the like are unlikely to pay any more or less based on the presence of Adler/Izzy.

<disclaimer> this is based on the assumption the Coachella and tour line up will include Fortus and Ferrer

• Like 1

I got nothing against Frank, but I want to hear original drumming, not his improvisations.

Agree 100% with that.

Exactly!!!! I could care less who is behind the kit as long as they play the songs the way they were written.. Franks improvisations are terrible.. Well I can't say that I don't care.. I would love to see Steven back there more than anyone.. Matt I could care less about..

• Like 2

Only on Guns N' Roses forums are drummers considered completely expendable. Most 'great' bands possess drummers who are a vital component of their sound. I can only summarise that Guns N' Roses's fans are so acclimatised to randoms being switched around in a revolving line-up that they have lost that sense of a 'real band'. And really, the 'public only care about the Axl and Slash show' is not how I remember GN'R. Izzy is my favourite so you can take that philosophy and shove it where the sun don't shine.

Yeah, because Ringo was just as important to The Beatles as Lennon/McCartney, or Charlie Watts compared to Richards/Jagger.

Fact is, drummers serve a purpose, but the 5 minute drum solo in a live show is code for toilet break.

Watts is a HUGE part of the Stones sound.

Was that post serious?

He (Sorum) said this in October:

"I'm not saying I'm an original member, okay, but I understand the core of the band, which is Slash and Duff and probably Izzy. It's a shame, and you know what, this goes back to a Paul McCartney thing. Does he call himself THE BEATLES? Not saying we were as big as THE BEATLES, but does Sting call himself THE POLICE? No. Does Jimmy Page and Robert Plant go out there calling themselves LED ZEPPELIN? Nope."http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-pleads-the-fifth-on-question-about-reunion-of-classic-guns-n-roses-lineup/#PcWBCdkEOcZBs1SZ.99

Not surprised he doesn't have a role.

But he din't say anything wrong.
And it's no different from what they've all said at one point or another. Slash, Duff, and Izzy have all voiced their disapproval over this shit show over the years. What's the beef? That Matt said it the most recently? Fuckin ay man, what a petty cunt.

Fortus, and Frank are pretty much without a doubt in, but the fact nobody's announced an official lineup yet, assuming it's concrete, is off putting to me. Why wouldn't they by now if it was? Unless it isn't? Which makes me hope just a bit longer that they're still at least talking to Izzy, and that him and Fortus can co-exist. Somebody's gotta fill that third guitar spot, right? Although, it'd really be telling that Axl's at least willing to compromise if he really lets Slash and Duff bring Kushner in. Guess we'll see...

i think he makes it too VR... plus hes already been a replacement once... u know what they say.. fool me once

he would have shared that coachella pic on fb if he was in... given that frank didnt do it but that woulda been a bad pr move for those who wanted a true reunion... if anything i say steve steps in for rocket queen and/or brownstown

Edited by Hollywood Gunner

Well some people are ignoring some facts.. Because it's true. Frank knows the whole GNR collection. Axl doesn't want To completely throw away the Chinese era after all the work put into it. And since people would probably pay more money to see Steven it makes Sense. So this way they don't have to throw away frank and can work Steven in for the appetite era. I just don't think they're going to have room for 3 drummers.

Hang on - first, CD is not hard to play drum wise - Matt could handle it in his sleep.

Second, Frank wasn't even on CD!

Your point about now wanting to "completely throw away the Chinese era" makes no sense...How the fuck does keeping the replacement drummer somehow keep CD in the picture???

Last, nobody gives a shit about the CD era, look at the media, you'd swear GNR hadn't played since 1993.

Even if they did care, there would be FAR more excitement seeing Slash play something off that album than any one of the guitar players that has come and gone in the last 20 years.

My point makes complete sense. If you actually read what id said, you'll notice I said nothing about Matt being able to play the Chinese stuff. To be honest with you I think Steven could cover it fine as well and frankly even if he butchered it, no one would care. I just think that this is the way axl sees it, frank is a good player and a guy that brings no stress to the situation. He's been in the and 10 years. I just don't think axl wants to necessarily throw him away. Frank wasn't on the use your illusion songs either but it's not like he butchers those songs. IMHO he's butchered the beginning to mr brownstone, but again, that's appetite and as I already stated that may be where Adler is involved. Also, they could justify it as sorum and frank both being replacement guys but frank you don't have to worry about PR wise where as sorum has a tendency to run his mouth.

When Eddie trunk interviewed Steven Adler in September and Eddie was explaining to Adler what he heard about the GNR reunion, Adler said "yeah I wouldn't mind sharing the stage with Matt" and Eddie responded with "idk if it'll be Matt" so.. I don't know how seriously he was ever considered but we all know slash and duff have brought it up with axl

You said that "Frank knows the complete collection" - I took that to mean that to you feel Frank has more than the others to offer Axl i.e. he can play CD, hence my comment on playing.

So I actually did read what you said..carefully.

Citing that as a reason to keep him is not really the best one there, that was my point.

NiceGuy is right about all of the hybrid shit - Axl gets to keep his three guys to save face.

If it was a full reunion, with all the "NuGNR" guys gone it would be seen as a final declaration of surrender for Axl and even now at fifty something years old, he's not man enough to do the right thing and get the historically accurate versions of "Classic GNR" together for a full reunion because he can't bear to be seen as a capitulator.

From what I saw at the RNRHOF, I don't believe that Duff and Slash would want this the way it is being presented but maybe they are the only ones Axl invited in and its a chance to make a TON of cash and ride the Big Money Train just one more time.

If I was their management I would point out that they could recast their legacy and make a pile of money by bringing Matt & Stephen along, sure it would cost more but with the kind of money floating around its easily handled. If Stephen fucks up, he goes home and Matt handles the entire gig. Matt plays piano and guitar, so there is a shit load he could be doing on stage while Stephen played the AFD tunes.

Edited by Intercourse

Matt appears to be in NYC with his wife and dogs right now so I think that rules out any major involvement. I'm guessing we won't see him or Adler at Coachella but there's still the chance they might do a few guest spots on a tour, unless all bridges have been burnt for whatever reason.

I think we'll hear from them both soonish, there's no way either of them will keep quiet for long unless they have been paid as part of a deal to do so.

I suppose one of the things about doing it this way is that they are actually staggering the reunion and not playing all their cards at once. Coachella are clearly willing to pay top dollar for Axl, Slash and Duff and the reuniting of Axl and Slash alone will probably carry a good 18 months of touring. Steven is probably too much of a liability to be involved to this extent but the full AFD 5 is still a card they can pull out further down the line, perhaps for the 30th Anniversary of AFD and do a smaller club tour or just shows at Whiskey/Troubadour etc..

From a business perspective it probably makes a lot of sense not to blow your load at once especially if festivals and the like are unlikely to pay any more or less based on the presence of Adler/Izzy.

It would be awesome if the original 5 played in clubs like in the good old days ! A dream come true !

Matt appears to be in NYC with his wife and dogs right now so I think that rules out any major involvement. I'm guessing we won't see him or Adler at Coachella but there's still the chance they might do a few guest spots on a tour, unless all bridges have been burnt for whatever reason.

I think we'll hear from them both soonish, there's no way either of them will keep quiet for long unless they have been paid as part of a deal to do so.

Depends on what they are rehearsing, they could be drilling Chi Dem songs, and Matt might guest on the old stuff only.

Matt is in NYC because he's on Seth Myers all week I guess, and his post with the dogs talks about 'big things in 2016'.

True, I forgot about that. Maybe he just had a prior commitment, I'm not getting a full involvement vibe about him but honestly who knows?

I think Matt, Stephen and Izzy will all play again with this lineup, at some point. GnR isn't what it used to be. It's now Axl's commune for various musicians. That's not a bad thing, but there's no impetus there of old or new, it's almost bigger than that (in Axl's mind anyway). What other touring bands have 'old' members turn up on occasion? Not that many, right?

ots not overly surprising he doesn't respond to some twat with a go pro, but unless there is something in the works, be it bad blood or positive negotiations, there isn't much of a need for him not to say 'no I'm not involved'.

I think that AlfieRose made some good points earlier in this thread. There might be some discomfort on Axl's part about having the UYI lineup back. He already has a drummer for NuGnR who has been there for close to a decade and Duff has played well with him before and might not want to ditch him.

And this is wading into conspiracy theory territory but it has been brought up before: none of the AfD crew have wanted to work with Adler again. If Matt were brought in, Adler honestly might have a suicidal meltdown. As I recall from Celebrity Rehab he went off on a bender when he found out that Slash was working with Matt. Picking a third drummer might be their way to try to stop that.

Well some people are ignoring some facts.. Because it's true. Frank knows the whole GNR collection. Axl doesn't want To completely throw away the Chinese era after all the work put into it. And since people would probably pay more money to see Steven it makes Sense. So this way they don't have to throw away frank and can work Steven in for the appetite era. I just don't think they're going to have room for 3 drummers.

Hang on - first, CD is not hard to play drum wise - Matt could handle it in his sleep.

Second, Frank wasn't even on CD!

Your point about now wanting to "completely throw away the Chinese era" makes no sense...How the fuck does keeping the replacement drummer somehow keep CD in the picture???

Last, nobody gives a shit about the CD era, look at the media, you'd swear GNR hadn't played since 1993.

Even if they did care, there would be FAR more excitement seeing Slash play something off that album than any one of the guitar players that has come and gone in the last 20 years.

My point makes complete sense. If you actually read what id said, you'll notice I said nothing about Matt being able to play the Chinese stuff. To be honest with you I think Steven could cover it fine as well and frankly even if he butchered it, no one would care. I just think that this is the way axl sees it, frank is a good player and a guy that brings no stress to the situation. He's been in the and 10 years. I just don't think axl wants to necessarily throw him away. Frank wasn't on the use your illusion songs either but it's not like he butchers those songs. IMHO he's butchered the beginning to mr brownstone, but again, that's appetite and as I already stated that may be where Adler is involved. Also, they could justify it as sorum and frank both being replacement guys but frank you don't have to worry about PR wise where as sorum has a tendency to run his mouth.

When Eddie trunk interviewed Steven Adler in September and Eddie was explaining to Adler what he heard about the GNR reunion, Adler said "yeah I wouldn't mind sharing the stage with Matt" and Eddie responded with "idk if it'll be Matt" so.. I don't know how seriously he was ever considered but we all know slash and duff have brought it up with axl

You said that "Frank knows the complete collection" - I took that to mean that to you feel Frank has more than the others to offer Axl i.e. he can play CD, hence my comment on playing.

So I actually did read what you said..carefully.

Citing that as a reason to keep him is not really the best one there, that was my point.

NiceGuy is right about all of the hybrid shit - Axl gets to keep his three guys to save face.

If it was a full reunion, with all the "NuGNR" guys gone it would be seen as a final declaration of surrender for Axl and even now at fifty something years old, he's not man enough to do the right thing and get the historically accurate versions of "Classic GNR" together for a full reunion because he can't bear to be seen as a capitulator.

From what I saw at the RNRHOF, I don't believe that Duff and Slash would want this the way it is being presented but maybe they are the only ones Axl invited in and its a chance to make a TON of cash and ride the Big Money Train just one more time.

If I was their management I would point out that they could recast their legacy and make a pile of money by bringing Matt & Stephen along, sure it would cost more but with the kind of money floating around its easily handled. If Stephen fucks up, he goes home and Matt handles the entire gig. Matt plays piano and guitar, so there is a shit load he could be doing on stage while Stephen played the AFD tunes.

I will not argue a thing you've said. I just think ts interesting that slash and duff are going along with this.. Say what you will about axl but, I just refuse to ever believe slash is rejoining guns n roses to be an axl rose employee. But then again.. It's slash so..