Reunion Hints/Signs Before Slash's August Interview (that we might have missed)

Sorry ahead of time if this is posted in the wrong section...

Supposedly the reunion has been in the works for about two years now. Some "insiders" here and at other boards claimed they knew about the reunion talks prior to Slash's bombshell about him and Axl. Just out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone recalls any hints or reports from the past year or two up until Slash's August 2015 interview.

When reunion rumors really began to swirl in September and October, an article from June 2014 came to mind. After the Vegas shows in 2014, an article about the success of the residency began its rounds, and it claimed that Axl told an "insider" that he wants to get the original group back for a global tour.

" I’m reliably told that business at the box office has been phenomenal and even better than frontman Axl Rose anticipated.
'So much so, he’s begun thinking about putting the original group all back together for a global tour. That would be the biggest-selling rock tour of all tours,' one knowledgeable insider told me."

(http://lasvegassun.com/vegasdeluxe/2014/jun/09/guns-n-roses-tour-expand-hard-rock-hotel-residency/)

Most people, including myself, dismissed it as either garbage or misquoted, since a reunion with Slash would never happen. But now, given all that we know, there's no reason not to believe what that "insider" said.

So besides the obvious (DJ and Ron leaving, Del James/Slash tweets, and stuff of common knowledge), does anyone remember any articles or board posts that we previously dismissed as garbage, but now look like they were actually legit?

The thing is, we've heard rumours for years and years, so it's hard to tell which of them were bullshit/from unreliable sources, and which ones actually had an element of truth to them.

Yeah. Some people might have just gotten lucky and can now say they've been a credible source all along. When really, they were just speculating.

It still seems the Slash interview was amazing. Seriously, how does that interviewer say all the right things and kick start this?! No one took it seriously till then.

People have said now they knew for a year or more before that interview, which apparently it has been in the works for that long. Whether I believe them or not is a different story. Unless you truly knew someone, and were an Eddie Trunk type thats in the business, I don't know how you would have heard. For what its worth, had it not been for the Slash interview, I wonder if we would have even known until very soon before it happened.

Obviously, the happy birthday from Slash directly to Axl was a hint, as was Del wishing Slash a happy birthday. Other than that, they hid it pretty well.

That interviewer asking Slash about Axl really came out of nowhere; where did he hear they were on speaking terms again?

I'm sure Slash was tweeting Axl Happy Birthday for a few years, but the Del tweets were definitely a clue the camps were at least in communication.

Marc Canter said the Appetite for Democracy release led to communication between the camps due to Slash having to sign off on its release; when its initial release got delayed UK Subs said he heard from a source in Slash's camp that it was because Slash wanted to embarrass Axl or was pissed off about it. I guess someone in Axl's camp decided enough was enough and reached out to Slash with an offer of reconciliation?

I think the Appetite for Democracy release along with the departures of Bumblefoot and Ashba were the biggest factors. Downzy said Ashba's departure was a shock to Axl, and I do believe Ashba wanted to tour/record with Sixx:AM, but maybe other people in Axl's camp were looking to get Slash back in the band without Axl's knowledge? Axl fired Azoff once he figured out Azoff was angling for a reunion, and there were rumours that that was the reason Finck left before ChiDem's release, though again that may have been just unhappiness with inactivity and wanting to tour with NIN.

I'm sure Slash was tweeting Axl Happy Birthday for a few years, but the Del tweets were definitely a clue the camps were at least in communication.

Slash's specific tweet was definitely a clue. It went from three years ago being like "Happy birthday to the redhead too" to "Happy Birthday Axl Rose" last year, to this year being directly @Axl Rose. Its silly, but the birthday things got more and more direct. This year's was no mistake. Had he not been reconciling with Axl I don't think he would have done it that blatantly.

There have been constant talks of a reunion over the years. Certainly as far back as VR, and there was another time when Lars shot his mouth off, saying GNR are getting back together. I think Trunk had it right when he said, this has been an ongoing thing in the background, it was just a matter of agreeing to the details.

This is when i first thought something was going on for sure back in October 2014 and there were some of duffs interviews around the same time with hints something was going on

Edited by Gibbo 27

I mean, there was a well documented near miss in 2006. Weiland was flipping out behind the scenes over if, I remember it was rumored that the OG GNR was billed for that download festival.

If timelines are correct, Todd Kerns said they were aware of it a year and a half ago, would t that put it around the time Slash and Perla split?

Duff being friendly with Axl and playing with GNR again was the first hint for me. You know Slash and Duff were going to talk about Axl, you know Duff and Axl were going to talk about Slash and the fact Slash was cool with Duff doing it and Axl didn't hate Duff by association anymore were hints both sides had softened.

Axl accepting that Golden God award was oddly timed. I imagine he would have declined it had he been looking to move forward with nugnr but by accepting that award he was in a way closing a chapter and accepting his lifetime achievement, we should have known then that NuGNR was over.

This came after Slash's interview but DJ Ashba responding to that message that said "thank you for moving aside for the old band" or whatever with a winking emoji was an obvious hint. Some over looked that too

I think Axl's old assistant Duswalt said it was happening.

I think Slash saying Axl was in his top 3 frontmen and saying how Izzy used to go between him and Axl. Duff now has the honor.

The one about Axl retiring turns out not to be true.

I also believe the interview was coordinated. Normally Slash doesn't like Axl/reunion questions, and like StrangerInThisTown just said, where did the interviewer even get that knowledge?

Going outside of the box here, but maybe they are trying a new way of hype-marketing - built on leaks and non-official sources of info. Think about the Jan 5th announcement of Coachella followed by the press release the next day naming Axl, Slash, and Duff...we knew all of that already. As did every music website that were reporting/regurgitating the rumors.

Another thing that makes me think that they are doing a weird style of marketing is Axl's sister announcing Axl's Kimmel appearance. She would know as well as anyone to not reveal any information without Axl's consent. Makes me think that it was coordinated also. Within an hour, it was reported everywhere that "Axl is rumored to be on Kimmel Tuesday".

It could be a way of making a huge announcement, yet still keeping it a surprise/secret at the same time. And being GN'R fans, any rumors that actually come true is still a surprise to us. This is also a good way to build hype....just a little tease of info here and there. By the time Monday night rolled around and Fernando told us to stay tuned at 9:30, we were all like full blown crack heads drooling at the thought of an official announcement.

I would be surprised if that is the actual case. Just trying to figure out a reason why the GN'R camp does the things they do, because it almost always does not make sense.

Another thing that makes me think that they are doing a weird style of marketing is Axl's sister announcing Axl's Kimmel appearance. She would know as well as anyone to not reveal any information without Axl's consent. Makes me think that it was coordinated also. Within an hour, it was reported everywhere that "Axl is rumored to be on Kimmel Tuesday".

Maybe Ash's outburst and fat bastard comment was also orchestrated! :wow:

We did end up getting info that Axl was on a diet, which was an indirect confirmation of the reunion.

I mean, there was a well documented near miss in 2006. Weiland was flipping out behind the scenes over if, I remember it was rumored that the OG GNR was billed for that download festival.

Too funny that just two years later Weiland would tell them, "oh yeah, just wanted to let you guys know I'm going back to STP" and VR imploded

If timelines are correct, Todd Kerns said they were aware of it a year and a half ago, would t that put it around the time Slash and Perla split?

Bums me out to think of 2006 Axl with OG GNR.

What happened in 2006 with Weiland, the "near miss", and Download reunion rumors? Did it have to do with Slash's visit to Axl's house?

I don't really remember, but sounds interesting.