Alan Niven interview today: Izzy will be involved in new music and reunion

Great news if true. At least Izzy's presence will be felt in new shit. I can kinda understand if Izzy doesn't wanna do a full tour at this point, but you'd think he'd at least be down to join them for coachella. Please God, at least give us the core four!!

Izzy has recorded with the New GNR before.

I don't think people realize how important Alan was for the band, he did a lot for GNR and most importantly got them out of the gutter

Jesus, now Niven is responsible for GNR success? That is out of this world. GNR already had a record deal and everyone wanted them when Niven stepped in. Not to mention that Aeorsmith said GNR management in 1988 was horrible. They weren't even able to negotiate decent conditions for them. And Niven all this time was devoting his time to Great White and adjusting GNR schedule to some shitty band nobody heard about.

Plus it is no manager's role to try and build hostility between the members, it should be exactly opposite. Niven was so full of himself as if he was a member, behaved like a total douche. And now he's a father of the GNR's success, just ridiculous (just in case - I don;t think Doug was any better)

People give way too much shit to the former managers

but

people also give way too much credit to the former managers

If they choose the way to make new music instead of the same old cash grab scheme, then it's very likely that GNR could be become huge again. Not in the classic days level, but decent enough to live up to the legacy.

• Like 1

Former Guns N' Roses manager Alan Niven said that guitarist Izzy Stradlin will be taking part in the reunion after all, but will only make it official once the dust settles a bit.

Alan told Holmberg's Morning Sickness: "Izzy will sit on the sidelines until he feels like he wants to get his toes in the water.

"He doesn't like all the drama. He's written with them, recently."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/report_izzy_stradlin_has_written_new_music_with_gnr_will_rejoin_the_band_along_the_line.html

• Like 1

Not sure how connected or in touch Niven is with the current guns n roses?

Either way hopefully it's true. With Izzy involved it'll make it easier to involve Adler. They can have Adler play the appetite songs then have Frank play the rest so, everyone wins.

Yeah but we don't know if he will be involved for the full tour or just a couple of shows or just couple of songs, I hope he is involved full time. Seriously I want Izzy and Steven to be there.

Either way hopefully it's true. With Izzy involved it'll make it easier to involve Adler. They can have Adler play the appetite songs then have Frank play the rest so, everyone wins.

Alan is in contact with Izzy and Slash, but he is more closer to Izzy.

• Like 1

I kind of wonder how Niven has the information, considering he's not really connected to the band now

(right?)he does right now but, he's always seemed brutally honest so I don't see why he would suddenly start lying here. This should be interesting.

I think the fact there getting slash back on stage with Axl is tremendous alone. If that can happen anything can happen so, to me Steven will be up there as well. Cool about Izzy too, I still wonder how committed he will be but as long as they get the original 5 on stage at some point we'll all survive regardless of Pittman still being in the band.

Yeah but we don't know if he will be involved for the full tour or just a couple of shows or just couple of songs, I hope he is involved full time. Seriously I want Izzy and Steven to be there.

Alan is in contact with Izzy and Slash, but he is more closer to Izzy.

Oh cool! I was gonna say there's no way he's looking for attention here but that's great.. How funny would it be to find out he's the bands manager again?! Lol anyways.. That's good stuff regardless. Hopefully we could get an official press conference or something soon

Former Guns N' Roses manager Alan Niven said that guitarist Izzy Stradlin will be taking part in the reunion after all, but will only make it official once the dust settles a bit.

Alan told Holmberg's Morning Sickness: "Izzy will sit on the sidelines until he feels like he wants to get his toes in the water.

"He doesn't like all the drama. He's written with them, recently."

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/report_izzy_stradlin_has_written_new_music_with_gnr_will_rejoin_the_band_along_the_line.html

I merged your thread and altered the title of this one to reflect your OP. We don't need two Niven threads.

I kind of wonder how Niven has the information, considering he's not really connected to the band now

Don't you get it? :lol: Everybody knew about this now. I find that very comical, tbh.

Haha touché. Nikki sixx said everyone knew so that should have given it away right..?!

On a side note again, thanks to dj ashba for doing the right thing and stepping aside and allowing this to happen.

Interesting that he brought up Aspergers. I've wondered that about Axl.

The earwig is clearly Doug. That man had a hand in so much shit that went down.

Glad that he highlighted Izzy's importance. New music is what I'm most interested in.

Alan is always interesting to listen to, but those radio-hosts were dumb. Sometimes you need to just shut-up and let someone speak.

Uh seriously? They did a great job. Asked the right questions. The interview was 45 minutes and mostly Niven I would say 90%. Did you listen to the right podcast? Holmburg is one the few actually funny morning show hosts and isn't afraid to ask the tough questions. He's highly intelligent and did a great job. Sometimes as an interviewer you have to step in to stop rambling. Him and Niven are friends too, you can tell there is a trust there in this interview.

Wow...the David Bowie dinner part explains a lot.

Niven recalled a piece of advice Bowie gave Axl that he thinks was in large part responsible for Chinese Democracy:

"Maybe Axl requires hate to drive his muse. David Bowie once told him that this drove his creativity, and the comment made a big impression on Axl. Maybe now he needs a new source of inspiration.""

- Alan Niven, October 1997

Mick Wall : But you and the Thin White Duke are now best of buddies, is that right?

Axl Rose : Well, I don’t know about ‘best of buddies’. But I like him a lot, yeah. We had a long talk about the business and stuff and I never anybody so cool and so into it and so whacked out and so sick in my life...I remember lookin’ over at Slash and going : "Man, we’re in fucking deep trouble" and he goes "Why?" and I go "Because I got a lot in common with this guy. I mean, I’m pretty sick but this guy’s just fuckin’ ill !". And Bowie sitting there laughing and talking about "One side of me is experimental and the other side of me wants to make something that people can get into, and I DON’T KNOW FUCKING WHY! WHY AM I LIKE THIS ?" And I’m sitting there thinking, I’ve got 20 more years of...that to look forward to? I’m already like that...20 more years? What am I gonna do? (laughs)

- April 1990

This interview as a whole really gives a lot of insight into Axl and going a long way to explain everything that's happened since.

• Like 1

Axl released CD with vocal tracks that were eight years old by that point...good luck to the boys in getting him in the studio...

"Put the new ones next to the 2,000 other instrumentals. I'll get around to it...yeah, sure, OK...thanks."