Alan Niven interview today: Izzy will be involved in new music and reunion

it was obvious from the start when Kimmel was canceled it was due to unresolved issues with the line up.

wheather or not drummers or Izzy I don't know, but it couldn't had been anything else.

Izzy writting and recording but not taking part in the tour?

That is plain silly! I would love to see that. I don't buy it. You decide to return, write, record but not go up on the stage which is the peak.

why let someone else play your songs, share the money!?

I would still put my money on Izzy and Matt in, Fortus and Frank out ages ago.

Clearly you don't understand Izzy very well. Which I'm not implying you are "just an average fan" so I don't mean any offense. But most "average" fans that are complaining about Izzy, don't really understand him. He literally walked away from Guns at their peak. Most people blame Axl, but honestly Axl is just a small piece of the larger puzzle in why Izzy walked away. He just doesn't want nor care about all the attention this stuff brings, he NEVER has. He is far more comfortable playing small venues, or just not playing at all. He obviously likes recording though. But if Axl was his BIG reason for quiting back in 1991, then why has He remained friendly with him all these years? Even deciding to play with Axl every now and then? Because Axl is not, and was NEVER the main reason why Izzy quit, plain and simple.

So logic dictates that a man that NEVER wanted this kind of attention, and quit during its peak, does not want the attention now either. He doesn't want to be interviewed, he doesn't want ANY of it other than the music. Im sure he is very happy now, and probably has peace. He also has friendships with EVERY member of the band (except for adler). So what does he have to gain by coming back full time? Money? I don't think that's ever been his driving force. He IS coming back for the music. To jam with these guys, create new music, etc. But he doesn't need to go play 3 hour shows in front of 100,000 people. He clearly would rather play a couple of songs here and there, when he wants. No major commitment, just for fun. That's Izzy's style.

Clearly I don't know the man, but his behavior has been the same since he quit guns. If you doubt me, look at VR. He was there when that band started, he was into writing, creating, and jamming. But as soon as things got serious, he was out. Some musicians are just that way, I know a few personally.

So why does it seem so suprising that Izzy would not want to be a full time memeber? As long as he can jam, write, record, and play when HE wants to, he is happy. I think, as fans, we have to accept that. If he wanted to be a full time member of this reunion, he would be. Bottom line.

no offense, but do you know Izzy personally?

Izzy walked away solely because of Axl, period!

Anyone who was a fan back in the day shall know that much.

You can't accuse someone else with "Do you know Izzy Personally" than state something about Izzy like it's 100% fact. I'm sure part of the reason Izzy left was Axl, part of it was the drugs in the band at the time and GN'R becoming bigger than he thought they should be. Remember when he was apart of the "Project" he wanted to do a Tour of clubs in a van with him and Duff covering the vocals. Once Scott joined and guys wanting it to be a bigger thing, Izzy was out the door. So, no, not all Axl.

Izzy was out the door again because he could see similar lead singer behaviour, the kind that put him off in the first place. He said as much in interviews...

I think Axl is probably a changed man at this point, a lot easier to work with and a lot happier in himself. I think we may just get Izzy but he's just dipping a toe at this point. When he sees there's no sign of sharks he'll jump in...

Thank you!

Finally someone posting WHY he went out the door once they chose to recruite Scott and WHY he proposed to the band to share vocals instead of picking another lead vocalist.

he said so many times, as did Slash, why he has issues with lead singers, but 47 GNR members later, there are still so who are deaf and blind but nonetheless, start the post with 'you don't know very well...'.

just can't help fans from'99 onwards.

If you read my ENTIRE post you would have read that I wasn't implying anything towards you. I also said that I was not trying to offend. But clearly you got your panties twisted. Which since you are a newbie around here, I can understand the confusion. But to claim I've only been a fan since 99 is laughable. You are the rookie around these parts chief, so why don't you sit down, take a few notes, and calm down. Especially to those that clearly said "im not trying to offend you" because I wasnt, I was actually refering more to comments I've read on face book and other non gnr sites. You just made a point that was similiar.
newbie, rookie, you don't know very well....do you feel any better, smarter, wiser now!?

if yes, I am glad. I certainly feel more amused. peace out bro.

Edited by shotsfired cro

I feel like Izzy is always part of the band. Regardless of if he's in the touring lineup, or in the official lineup. He toyed around with getting back with the band after the UYI tour. That makes it seem like the door was always there for him to come back in. He wrote material intended to be used for Guns during that time. Allegedly Axl tried to incorporate some of that material into NuGuns, and I believe allegedly Izzy worked on other NuGuns stuff. Izzy played some NuGuns shows. Rumors are going around he's writing material for the reunion. I know on paper he isn't always "officially a member", but let's be real; he is and has always been a member and is still a member right now

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma
  • Like 1

it was obvious from the start when Kimmel was canceled it was due to unresolved issues with the line up.

wheather or not drummers or Izzy I don't know, but it couldn't had been anything else.

That is plain silly! I would love to see that. I don't buy it. You decide to return, write, record but not go up on the stage which is the peak.

Clearly you don't understand Izzy very well. Which I'm not implying you are "just an average fan" so I don't mean any offense. But most "average" fans that are complaining about Izzy, don't really understand him. He literally walked away from Guns at their peak. Most people blame Axl, but honestly Axl is just a small piece of the larger puzzle in why Izzy walked away. He just doesn't want nor care about all the attention this stuff brings, he NEVER has. He is far more comfortable playing small venues, or just not playing at all. He obviously likes recording though. But if Axl was his BIG reason for quiting back in 1991, then why has He remained friendly with him all these years? Even deciding to play with Axl every now and then? Because Axl is not, and was NEVER the main reason why Izzy quit, plain and simple.

So logic dictates that a man that NEVER wanted this kind of attention, and quit during its peak, does not want the attention now either. He doesn't want to be interviewed, he doesn't want ANY of it other than the music. Im sure he is very happy now, and probably has peace. He also has friendships with EVERY member of the band (except for adler). So what does he have to gain by coming back full time? Money? I don't think that's ever been his driving force. He IS coming back for the music. To jam with these guys, create new music, etc. But he doesn't need to go play 3 hour shows in front of 100,000 people. He clearly would rather play a couple of songs here and there, when he wants. No major commitment, just for fun. That's Izzy's style.

Clearly I don't know the man, but his behavior has been the same since he quit guns. If you doubt me, look at VR. He was there when that band started, he was into writing, creating, and jamming. But as soon as things got serious, he was out. Some musicians are just that way, I know a few personally.

So why does it seem so suprising that Izzy would not want to be a full time memeber? As long as he can jam, write, record, and play when HE wants to, he is happy. I think, as fans, we have to accept that. If he wanted to be a full time member of this reunion, he would be. Bottom line.

You can't accuse someone else with "Do you know Izzy Personally" than state something about Izzy like it's 100% fact. I'm sure part of the reason Izzy left was Axl, part of it was the drugs in the band at the time and GN'R becoming bigger than he thought they should be. Remember when he was apart of the "Project" he wanted to do a Tour of clubs in a van with him and Duff covering the vocals. Once Scott joined and guys wanting it to be a bigger thing, Izzy was out the door. So, no, not all Axl.

but he can start a post with 'clearly you don't know Izzy very well?'!?!?

read entire posts before you post shit.

He can post that "you don't know izzy very well" because you don't, what is incorrect in that statement?

Does this help you?

Clearly he modified his reasons... However, to dump it all on one person, when it was the entire situation, that's unfair. I think we can all agree Axl caused a good amount of band tension... but they are all to blame. All of them.

And here is Slash protecting the brand at the time. All of these guys couldn't act like adults. The Ego's that Axl and Slash must have been tiring to deal with.

Edited by cooker

See that's exactly what I mean, Izzy is like Izzy. He has his own personal reasons why he has done, or not done everything in his life. I think at times, he doesn't even know what those reasons are, it just doesn't feel right to him or whatever.

But I'll say this, Izzy DID NOT QUIT gnr because of Axl. I agree Axl was part of that equation, but he probably had 20 reasons why he wanted out.

Same goes for VR, Scott was not the reason why he didn't join them, he may have been a part of his reasoning, but I guarantee he wasn't the only reason. If someone can find something where Izzy says "I didn't join VR because of Scott" I'll admit different, but until then...

• Like 2

See that's exactly what I mean, Izzy is like Izzy. He has his own personal reasons why he has done, or not done everything in his life. I think at times, he doesn't even know what those reasons are, it just doesn't feel right to him or whatever.

But I'll say this, Izzy DID NOT QUIT gnr because of Axl. I agree Axl was part of that equation, but he probably had 20 reasons why he wanted out.

Same goes for VR, Scott was not the reason why he didn't join them, he may have been a part of his reasoning, but I guarantee he wasn't the only reason. If someone can find something where Izzy says "I didn't join VR because of Scott" I'll admit different, but until then...

He is not going to play out someone elses dream. We should all learn that at an early age.

He is not going to play out someone elses dream. We should all learn that at an early age.

izzy quit VR because he wanted to sing, he wanted for them to have fun and make an album same way he does it...the rest of the guys wanted a singer so they can do something big.

He can post that "you don't know izzy very well" because you don't, what is incorrect in that statement?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLLnw_VcEPU&ab_channel=SluffAdlin

Does this help you?

Clearly he modified his reasons... However, to dump it all on one person, when it was the entire situation, that's unfair. I think we can all agree Axl caused a good amount of band tension... but they are all to blame. All of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjscSqKpq80&ab_channel=HardMusicTV

And here is Slash protecting the brand at the time. All of these guys couldn't act like adults. The Ego's that Axl and Slash must have been tiring to deal with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm5cVrCO_c8&ab_channel=HardMusicTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyGE1TmpQQo&ab_channel=HardMusicTV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eyFVk01HkI&ab_channel=HardMusicTV

maybe you would be better off by reading entire conversation.

Do you or him know Izzy better?

or do we all have equal rights in statin our opinions?

instead of sitting and posting quotes, maybe you would be bette off by not going back and quoting stuff from back in the day, but simply remembing how and why Izzy walked away from VR.

in the comments you quoted, everyone was butthurt about Izzy leaving, just like some of you here on this board, and a lot was said that was later licked up.

as for the rest, now go back and read entire conversation or walk off!

Edited by shotsfired cro

Does this help you?

maybe you would be better off by reading entire conversation.

Do you or him know Izzy better?

or do we all have equal rights in statin our opinions?

now go back and read entire conversation or walk off!

:lol: Relax brah, it's just a rock band. None of us "know" any of these guys on a personal level. I posted these videos to show that the guys themselves seem to not know the story either.

Edited by cooker

Izzy's last single, 'my baby rann' was awesome..

I disagree. It was awful, IMO. I won't deny Izzy's contributions to Gn'R, but he needs Axl, Slash and Duff to complete his work. Without them, we have some ultra-generic, boring rock n' roll songs, but of course, without him, we wouldn't have half of the songs featured in Gn'R catalog.

• Like 1

It's interesting listening to people involved with the band when they took off. I know it's bad to say but these interviews always confirm what we already assumed. And that's that Axl is the real deal. He's very human, and very raw, he just doesn't fake it.

I know there's a ton of baggage with that and it might not be worth it to some, but if your going to like that rock n roll style then you gotta appreciate a guy that is as real as Axl was. Alan from the sound of it just hated him, but underneath all that you know Axl wasn't putting on an act. He was just a crazy embodiment of all the things that make Rock appealing and yet all the things that make it frustrating.

I guess Axl ruined it for everyone else though, the industry hasn't embraced anyone legitamently crazy since.

• Like 1

Yes, but before Scott Izzy was involved in a song writing process, and Slash called it the best GNR songs after the AFD...after Scott left the bend i do not think Izzy was involved in a song writing process...it was just the rest of the guys

Yes, but before Scott Izzy was involved in a song writing process, and Slash called it the best GNR songs after the AFD...after Scott left the bend i do not think Izzy was involved in a song writing process...it was just the rest of the guys

That's correct.

If they all do record again. I'd hope that they do it from the secure position they're in now. They;ve all done new things, live new lives, and aren't first time kids anymore. THey can look back without the egos and see what worked, what didn't, and hopefully just smash out songs.

The riff to Bomb sounds suspiciously the same as Suckertrain blues.

I haven't heard it in a while but I thought it was the same riff as Do It For The Kids. I'm probably wrong.
What this guy said.
I'm right.

Just Don't Know about you...

The only thing I can say against this is that he's definitely backed down a bit on the Axl bashing. He used to be far more forthcoming on the stories and what a brat and asshole Axl is / was. I know he said he doesn't think he's ever getting the call to come back, but maybe he's hoping that he's wrong and he doesn't want to mess things up.

Interesting interview though, the bowie part is interesting. Basically said that Bowie told Axl (after their fight) at dinner, that the reason he (bowie) and jagger were so successful is because they were businessman first and then musicians. Niven said that was the most damaging thing to happen to GnR.

Edited by Tom2112