Which member do you look up to the most?

Axl. He sang/wrote songs with unbelievable passion. He managed to become an important musician after coming from a life of abuse and hopelessness. His music/lyrics got me through high school and still help me with life's issues today. He never tried to cater to the masses musically, he came out with his unique voice and lyrics and believed in himself even though he was made to feel like a nobody in his childhood.

• Like 4

I would have to say Duff. Went through a bad, messy phase. Realised he couldn't go on like that, got himself an education, and sorted his life out. That is quite an achievement. And whilst I don't know the guy, he seems to be a pretty decent person as well.

• Like 2

Axl, he has no fucks to give about anyones opinion, bows to none, always remains true to himself, in good and bad lol and went through so much horse shit in life, yet never ended up an addict (only thing he's said he's addicted to is food, which I totally get lol). Add to that his immense talent in singing & writing.

• Like 1

lol at anybody who says Axl

he is the textbook definition of wasted talent and he is a trainwreck really

Wasted talent? Maybe, but just because you get into once business doesn't mean you have to be on top all the time. After you make a ton of money, I say do what you want.

For me it is a tie between Slash and Duff

Duff because of how much he rose after getting clean. First the fact that he got clean, and the fact that he decided that instead of riding merely the rockstar thing for the rest of his life he would also better himself by furthering his education and diving into martial arts. His book was very inspirational, to me Duff is the epitome of someone who can turn their life around and be able to have a lot of meaning in your life. A family, and education, etc. while still being a total badass and rocking out with whatever musical projects he likes doing. He was also very humble and genuine when I met him at one of his book signings

Slash because as a guitar player I truly respect guitar players who are able to craft their own sound. Sure, Slash is not a jazz master or a sweep pick master or a shredder. But he has something that makes all of that not matter - he has a combination of his own tone matched with his own ways of crafting melody. So many people think that only technical skills are a sign of being a great guitar player, but so many that I come across do not craft riffs or solos that are nearly as memorable as Slash. And that kind of person who has their own sound and sense of melody is what I aspire to be as a musician

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

I look up to Fortus because you will not get an overall sense from anyone else of what is going on currently. Richard has been there the longest with the exception of Dizzy and Axl. He is a very creative force which his efforts where supposed to be felt on Chinese Democracy II. Now he has experience with working with GNR members of all the eras. He looks like a Izzy clone, but can play better with a tone that is slightly behind Slash. He has various experience working with artists from many different backgrounds.

As a child I would have said Slash in a heartbeat because his work represents most of my childhood memories. However Fortus has weathered the storm for years and has stood on his own as his own person when dealing with fans that are living in the past. You have to respect a guy that has put up with the shit that he had to deal with the GNR fanbase and the hurricane of shit that he has to face being apart of the reunion lineup.

You may not like him. You may not respect him. But you have to admire his unwavering dedication.

Edited by Randy Jesus
  • Like 1

I look up to Fortus because you will not get an overall sense from anyone else of what is going on currently. Richard has been there the longest with the exception of Dizzy and Axl. He is a very creative force which his efforts where supposed to be felt on Chinese Democracy II. Now he has experience with working with GNR members of all the eras. He looks like a Izzy clone, but can play better with a tone that is slightly behind Slash. He has various experience working with artists from many different backgrounds.

As a child I would have said Slash in a heartbeat because his work represents most of childhood memories. However Fortus has weathered the storm for years and has stood on his own as his own person when dealing with fans that are living in the past. You have to respect a guy that has put up with the shit that he had to deal with the GNR fanbase and the hurricane of shit that he has to face being apart of the reunion lineup.

You may not like him. You may not respect him. But you have to admire his unwavering dedication.

I'm being sincere when I say that was beautifully written.

• Like 1

As a child I would have said Slash in a heartbeat because his work represents most of childhood memories. However Fortus has weathered the storm for years and has stood on his own as his own person when dealing with fans that are living in the past. You have to respect a guy that has put up with the shit that he had to deal with the GNR fanbase and the hurricane of shit that he has to face being apart of the reunion lineup.

I'm being sincere when I say that was beautifully written.

Not my best writing but it was just off hand. However I do thank you for challenging people to write more intellectual responses.

Axl because of things like this

A lot of people call him an asshole or dismiss him because they say that he is bipolar and hard to work with but I think he was just dealing with a lot of shit. I don't ever think his intentions were bad. Maybe he just wasn't made to be in the business but that doesn't make him any less of an artist.

• Like 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9z6z7IGbPc

A lot of people call him an asshole or dismiss him because they say that he is bipolar and hard to work with but I think he was just dealing with a lot of shit. I don't ever think his intentions were bad. Maybe he just wasn't made to be in the business but that doesn't make him any less of an artist.

I was just gonna post that video. But yeah Axl, for similar reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9z6z7IGbPc

Interrupting concerts for childish, bitter, crotch grabbing rants is what earned your respect?

Just shut up and sing, Axl...

Interrupting concerts for childish, bitter, crotch grabbing rants is what earned your respect?

Just shut up and sing, Axl...

I'm sorry, but who do you look up too? It is possible to respect a singer whether or not their words are in a song or not.

I respect Axl. He's a great songwriter, a great singer, and a great performer. He's obviously an intelligent man, and a deep thinker. That's evident from his lyrics, and from some of the letters he's written. He's passionate, and determined. Those are all qualities that I admire.

The reason why I chose Duff over Axl for the purposes of this thread is that Axl seems to struggle with some of the same things I struggle with. I say seems, because I obviously don't know the man. It looks like he can be too perfectionistic, to the point where you can end up never finishing a project, or keep on trying to perfect it beyond the actual point of perfection. And it seems like he can get lost in his own world, and his own vision. As said, I have those issues, and would love to be able to overcome them.

As a mature student, I respect Duff's ability to further his education. And he seems to have reached a point in life where he's very grounded. I would like to achieve that as well.

• Like 1