Will the new line-up sound any better than '02, '06, '10 eras?

Brain and Ferrer never sound 'right' to me. When I watch nugnr gigs, I keep noticing the drums, but in a negative way.

You're not the only one.. at least Frank anyway.. I don't remember it as much with Brain but I haven't seen much from him..

You know who plays the shit spot on is Brent Fitz..

Frank's drums sound at a huge distance from the stage... very stringy and aloof. As if he's thumping on an electronic drum machine. I blame the sound/his kit.

As a matter of fact a lot of metal bands these days have the same kinda sound... very hard to listen too. Maybe its a trend.

The technical term is "drum triggers" and it is indeed a trend in recent years. Give me the classic, natural dynamics of the drum kit anyday.

So I looked up drum triggers. So...hitting the the real drum 'triggers' a digital sample of a drum? So basically the drummer is playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band?!??

I suppose that's one way of looking at it. :lol:

However, not quite. It's not entirely electronic. The "real" drum sound is still there as well. How much you hear the "triggered" sounds depends on the mix. Let's say the bass and snare are triggered. Every time the bass drum or snare are hit, the triggered electronic sample will also be heard. The problem is that generally all natural dynamics are lost, especially if the triggers are high in the mix. Every single bass and snare hit will sound identical. That's why it so popular in technical metal music - for those big double bass rhythms they want every hit to sound precise.

That's so lame.

So this is quite widespread, is it? Do you know for sure if Frank plays a live setup like this?

Brain and Ferrer never sound 'right' to me. When I watch nugnr gigs, I keep noticing the drums, but in a negative way.

You're not the only one.. at least Frank anyway.. I don't remember it as much with Brain but I haven't seen much from him..

Frank's drums sound at a huge distance from the stage... very stringy and aloof. As if he's thumping on an electronic drum machine. I blame the sound/his kit.

As a matter of fact a lot of metal bands these days have the same kinda sound... very hard to listen too. Maybe its a trend.

The technical term is "drum triggers" and it is indeed a trend in recent years. Give me the classic, natural dynamics of the drum kit anyday.

So I looked up drum triggers. So...hitting the the real drum 'triggers' a digital sample of a drum? So basically the drummer is playing Guitar Hero/Rock Band?!??

However, not quite. It's not entirely electronic. The "real" drum sound is still there as well. How much you hear the "triggered" sounds depends on the mix. Let's say the bass and snare are triggered. Every time the bass drum or snare are hit, the triggered electronic sample will also be heard. The problem is that generally all natural dynamics are lost, especially if the triggers are high in the mix. Every single bass and snare hit will sound identical. That's why it so popular in technical metal music - for those big double bass rhythms they want every hit to sound precise.

That's so lame.

So this is quite widespread, is it? Do you know for sure if Frank plays a live setup like this?

Widespread enough I suppose, especially among newer metal and hardcore bands. I can't swear if Frank is using them or not, but I think at the very least his snare is triggered because in some of the dry soundboard stuff we got from 2011 there were times where snare rolls were barely audible.

• Like 1

I think it will, I don't dislike Ashba as much as many on here do but let's be honest his playing got sloppy as hell towards the end - case in point being the Patience solo.

My one hope for the new shows is that they bring a more stripped back approach to the songs. I love KOHD and it was always the highlight of the show for me but it did get ridiculous how long it went on for from about 2012 onwards. Given it seems we're back to a two guitar sound I'm hoping that this means that there won't be as much padding in the songs.

I guess the key factor, as always, will be Axl's voice - I hope he really puts time and effort in to get as close to 2006 and 2010 he can but considering there's no change of management who knows if he will? Maybe the fact that Slash is back will be enough to motivate him. Time will tell ultimately, if they play the UK I'll go in a shot regardless primarily to see Slash and Duff play a GN'R set together. I think it may be a bit optimistic to expect Axl to do a complete 180 vocals wise but then I'm just trying not to get my hopes up.

I agree with you to some extent, but I'm additionally worried about the first few gigs. Slash might need a few shows to get used to the Chinese Democracy songs and the band as a unit will also need time to achieve the cohesion that NuGNR had from 2010-2014. Although not having Ashba is a huge improvement already. Another thing to consider is who the third guitar player will be. If it's Izzy he'll have to get into playing form again, but I doubt he'll be a full time member on the band. That third guitarist spot is key to the band's sound and a huge question mark at this present moment. Let's hope Gilby Clarke is available and ready to return to GNR.

That's so lame.

Widespread enough I suppose, especially among newer metal and hardcore bands. I can't swear if Frank is using them or not, but I think at the very least his snare is triggered because in some of the dry soundboard stuff we got from 2011 there were times where snare rolls were barely audible.

I miss Brain. He was the best drummer in GNR history in my personal opinion. But Frank is pretty good too.

Lmao, does a bear shit in the woods?

For me it rests on Axl's vocals. Having Slash and Duff on board will instantly improve their sound (as a bigger fan of the sleazier classic sound than the polished Nu GnR sound). However, that will all mean little if the vocals aren't strong enough.

It would be gutting as a fan if the opinion of the Coachella performance is the band sound great and Axl doesn't. There will 3 of the best talents in Rock n Roll (Axl, Duff, Slash) uniting on stage after decades apart, it deserves to sound phenomenal. Not just for us fans but rock and for music in general.

Axl i'm afraid, holds the biggest key. That voice on it's day, is so powerful, so unique, the definition of rock n roll which is sorely missing. An on form Axl will, IMO, ignite this reunion.

For me it rests on Axl's vocals. Having Slash and Duff on board will instantly improve their sound (as a bigger fan of the sleazier classic sound than the polished Nu GnR sound). However, mean little if the vocals aren't strong enough.

Axl i'm afraid, holds the biggest key. That voice on it's day, is so powerful, so unique, the definition of what is missing from the current rock scene. An on form Axl will, IMO, ignite this reunion.

It would be gutting as a fan if the opinion of the Coachella performance is the band sound great and Axl doesn't. There will be 3 of the best talents in Rock n Roll (Axl, Duff, Slash) uniting on stage after decades apart, it deserves to sound phenomenal. Not just for us fans but rock and for music in general.

Yeah, Axl definitely has the most to lose if this goes south.