Will they play the GNR songs the NuGNR way or the Slash way?

This is one thing I will be very intrigued to see from the reunion. There are quite a few subtle yet very obvious differences in the way Axl and Slash have played GNR material live post-96, so who will bend to who in terms of how the songs are played in this reformed lineup? How they choose to present these songs might well give us some kind of indication about whose calling the shots etc.

When Slash plays Civil War there's no honky-tonk double-time ending

Slash extends Rocket Queen into a 10min loose jam/improv section

NuGNR's Jungle ends differently

I'm sure there are a tonne more, but I don't follow SMKC that closely. I personally find Slash's soloing in RQ quite over-indulgent and tedious, so would prefer it if he kept to the way Axl's been playing it which is pretty much faithful to the album version. And I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I've always loved Dizzy's honky-tonk bit at the end of Civil War, so I hope that stays too.

Edited by Towelie

The way NuGNR played GNR songs, they totally fucked it up, it was too much of everything which was never needed.

Slash and his solo band plays the GNR songs in a really good way and thats how they should sound.

As I have mentioned before, I don't want the guitar solo's to be divided between Slash and Fortus. I want the old version of KOHD. Slash should open Paradise city and not Fortus.

The way NuGNR played GNR songs, they totally fucked it up, it was too much of everything which was never needed.

Slash and his solo band plays the GNR songs in a really good way and thats how they should sound.

As I have mentioned before, I don't want the guitar solo's to be divided between Slash and Fortus. I want the old version of KOHD. Slash should open Paradise city and not Fortus.

Oh, I assume Slash will play lead on almost everything, with Richard going back to rhythm for most of it. I mean, you can't have Richard fucking Fortus taking one of those iconic NR solos when you have Slash on stage.

I imagine it'll be more like Slash's live stuff albeit with keys as you have Dizzy and Pitman there. Plus, it seems that there won't be a third guitarist so they'll have to do things slightly differently anyway. As much as I think Fortus is a great player I agree it would be rediculous to have him play any of Slash's parts when the guy is right there next to him.

Another factor to take into consideration is that Axl probably isn't calling all the shots any more and we know Slash prefers a more stripped back approach. I don't see it being the full on nuGuns sound for that reason. I see it being more like the UYI shows.

This is an extremely stupid thread. There is no way in hell they're gonna play any 'classic' songs the NuGnr way, not a hope in hell. Unless they wanna give fortus a couple of minutes in the limelight by playing KOHD the new way, but I HIGHLY doubt it, with Slash on the stage in GnR, all the musical side of it has to be all about him, unless Izzy is up there, which is obviously the right way for it

Both times that I have seen Slash lately, once he goes into that 10 minute Rocket Queen, jerk off solo, I left and went for a cigarette.

Agreed.

The first couple of minutes were great, the following 5 were boring and after 10+ mins I was just getting frustrated. They could've easily fit another song in that time and it just seems so self-indulgent.

• Like 1

The Nu GnR kids just butchered the GnR songs, but for a cover band they did ok I suppose. I'm looking forward to Slash doing them justice, even the few CD songs they play he'll play appropriately. With that said we still have the drummer guy (Frank) and Fortus and Pitman (WTF) to deal with.

Edited by Estranged1

Both times that I have seen Slash lately, once he goes into that 10 minute Rocket Queen, jerk off solo, I left and went for a cigarette.

Agreed.

The first couple of minutes were great, the following 5 were boring and after 10+ mins I was just getting frustrated. They could've easily fit another song in that time and it just seems so self-indulgent.

I'll take that over a Sorum drum solo.

It's gonna be a cross between the two ways, but it will be closer to the most recent era of Guns N' Roses than it is to the way that Slash does it. For example i don't think we're gonna see a ten minute Rocket Queen or the old version of KOHD but we're gonna see Slash personal style in the songs that he plays. Also I don't know about the third guitar player, I don't think Axl is gonna let go of that idea so easily.

It's gonna be a cross between the two ways, but it will be closer to the most recent era of Guns N' Roses than it is to the way that Slash does it. For example i don't think we're gonna see a ten minute Rocket Queen or the old version of KOHD but we're gonna see Slash personal style in the songs that he plays. Also I don't know about the third guitar player, I don't think Axl is gonna let go of that idea so easily.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't there 3 guitar players sometimes with Slash's solo band? Myles plays sometimes aswell, right? That means that Slash may not be totally against the idea.

I'd want it close to the album versions. Some jerking around is OK but not over the top. I watched some clip of '14GNR jamming the song for 2 minutes before Axl even started singing, and there were dancers as well. Nah thanks! Now you're telling me Slash also jerks off to the song? Fuck off. It's a 6 minute song, it's ok if it goes into 7 minutes but after that, it's time for another song.

Edit. "the song" referring to Rocket Queen.

Edited by CheapJon

I'd want it close to the album versions. Some jerking around is OK but not over the top. I watched some clip of '14GNR jamming the song for 2 minutes before Axl even started singing, and there were dancers as well. Nah thanks! Now you're telling me Slash also jerks off to the song? Fuck off. It's a 6 minute song, it's ok if it goes into 7 minutes but after that, it's time for another song.

Which is why KOHD needs to go. That song is such a snooze live.

If Fortus takes any of the Slash solo's i'll be very dissapointed. It's boarderline offensive.

There are some synthy elements to certain Nu GnR takes on the classic material that I like, if that is retained with Slash's traditional approach to playing the material, i think we're in for a treat.

I also like Franks drumming, it's solid and i think that will be of value to how how this line up sounds.

Indeed, don't see it happening though. the "Hey hey yeah" part is too much of a crowd pleaser.

If Fortus takes any of the Slash solo's i'll be very dissapointed. It's boarderline offensive.

I think there's no chance of that being the case honestly. If it was, it would be up to Slash himself to say "nah, mate, this is my song. I'm gonna play it" and that's all there would be to it.

Slash is going to play his songs his way. As it should be.

This.

Because his way is the only way those solos were supposed to be played. He wrote most of them.

Silly question.

I wasn't referring to the solos, I was referring to the arrangement of the songs.

Hell no.. The old band owned that song live... Maybe bring it back to their early versions like the Ritz! Kind of hard to stay stripped down with all the extra douchebags onstage though.