Will they play the GNR songs the NuGNR way or the Slash way?

Who the fuck knows.. This is basically NuGnR.. You still have Frank who fucks up all the songs, Axl and Pittman with his synths.. That is a huge part of the NuGnR sound and why they suck.. It will definitely sound better with with Slash and Duff in there but I just have a feeling they are going to pussy foot around and kiss Axl and his bands ass so he doesn't get pissed off. I truly think that they also believe Pittman's synths on those classic songs are blasphemy but they aren't going to say it and might even go as far as to say they like it.. As of everything they have said over the last 20 years, that wouldn't be the truth.

This is one thing I will be very intrigued to see from the reunion. There are quite a few subtle yet very obvious differences in the way Axl and Slash have played GNR material live post-96, so who will bend to who in terms of how the songs are played in this reformed lineup? How they choose to present these songs might well give us some kind of indication about whose calling the shots etc.

When Slash plays Civil War there's no honky-tonk double-time ending

Slash extends Rocket Queen into a 10min loose jam/improv section

NuGNR's Jungle ends differently

I'm sure there are a tonne more, but I don't follow SMKC that closely. I personally find Slash's soloing in RQ quite over-indulgent and tedious, so would prefer it if he kept to the way Axl's been playing it which is pretty much faithful to the album version. And I know I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I've always loved Dizzy's honky-tonk bit at the end of Civil War, so I hope that stays too.

I can see them going with the Rocket Queen jam because it gives Axl a breather, but because they've played some of the songs a little different, that's why they have to have rehearsals. Adler sits in, or Double Talkin' Jive makes a comeback and do the long version there.

KOHD is a given that it'll be part of the show. Whether or not they "gimme some reggae"...that remains to be seen.

Live and Let Die is another cover they'll throw in there.

Sorum and Ferrer do double drums for "You Could Be Mine".. herd of elephants intro.

Izzy does 14 Years, Brownstone and one other song.

Mama Kin.... Joe Perry might show up and help out because he lives in LA, Izzy comes out for that one.

Paradise City, they all come out,Adler starts the song off then Frank joins in, Sorum's using Pitman's tambourine.

They'll talk about doing Locomotive in rehearsals and play some of it, but they'll go "10 minute song, we could do 2 songs people would rather hear". Maybe if there's a residency gig it'll turn up.

Look at it this way:

Axl does not attend rehearsals, ever. So, when the band is practicing the songs, Slash and Duff will be in charge. They'll dictate the arrangement and style of the songs, not Fortus or goddamn Dizzy Reed. After all, Slash and Duff wrote these songs-- there's no way Pitman will tell them how Rocket Queen goes.

nuGNR's versions of the music were NOT directed by Axl. He was never there during rehearsals-- those arrangements are just the ideas of the nuGNR guys. Axl had zero input into the musical side of things.

Hell, Axl didn't even sing in between tours or shows.

So from a music standpoint, the shows will be great. Vocals? That's the huge question mark.

I think there are some things that improved under NuGNR. Welcome to the Jungle being one. From its teaser intro through the extended breakdown to the ending, that song worked a lot better than it ever did on the UYI tour.

The more 'CD-esque' intro to You Could Be Mine is something I'd be happy to see crossover. One of Pitman's moments to be useful!

For fear of being uncool, I prefer Frank's Mr Brownstone beat in a live context.

Don't Cry starting out with just Axl and Slash would be amazing too!

And of course NuGNR were often aided by a fuckload of pyrotechnics for percussion.

• Like 1