What type of vocal performance do you expect from Axl?

1. Full rasp, no hint of mickey (UYI/some parts of the 2006/2010 voice)

2. Some rasp, some mickey..like Chinese Democracy.

3. Full mickey.

4. AFD/Lies voice.

Would you rather have Axl stand still (Dublin) and sing well or dance and sing with the mickey voice?

Edited by sonofnazareth

Some rasp, some mickey..like Chinese Democracy. Also like the last tour. I make no illusions that Axl will somehow sound like 2006 again simply because Slash has rejoined; he pulled some ok performances off with Duff but also some really bad ones.

In that regard I'm not expecting much from their first gig as past tours, the opening concert Axl didn't sound all that great. Usually it takes him a couple of gigs to get going. I'm expecting an awkward but still exciting performance à la the 2009 Tokyo gigs.

Edited by Bumblefeet

^^This. It would be unrealistic to expect 54 year old Axl to compete with his former 25 year old self. This would be a wise strategy as well. Keeps the voice going and from time to time, uses the rasp, just to show the fans he still has what it takes.

Edited by Kenan

^^This. It would be unrealistic to expect 54 year old Axl to compete with his former 25 year old self. This would be a wise strategy as well. Keeps the voice going and from time to time, uses the rasp, just to show the fans he still has what it takes.

Good point.

I think that if Axl was able to get on 2010 level at all we would have seen it in the past 5 years. A performance like the last two Vegas shows seems to be the best we can hope for.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Edited by Pedrolg

Something approaching the better performances of the past 10 years.

But I'll always hold out a degree of hope that he can one day sing again like he did from 88-93. Not that he sounded exactly the same during each of those years, but to me, all those years sound "good" (though towards end of the tour in 93 things were starting to change a little). And even though there were times in 06 and 2010 where he sounded a lot better than he did at anytime post 93, he was still not in the same league as 88-93.

The whole subject is so interesting to me, but confusing and frustrating too. I wish I understood singing better, or at least that we could hear from someone that is, who has really looked at the subject in-depth.

This is the closest thing I've ever found. There's a lot of speculation in it, like the stuff about having surgery sometime post 94, pre HOB gig in 2000 - I mean that's never been confirmed, but makes a lot of sense since how else could his voice change so dramatically from the show where he played Come Together with Springsteen, until HOB and RIR 3 in 00'-01'?

Then there are those few quotes from Moby, talking about 98-99, where he said Axl would be reticent to sing, and whenever someone asked him (Axl) about it, he'd get upset. Then there are the quotes from Youth (Killing Joke/producer on CD for spell) saying that at one point Axl hadn't sung for 18 months(?!)

I think he will sound great at all the live shows, but the you tube clips will probably be hit or miss. But to be honest, he was hit or miss on certain songs even back in the day. He hasn't done SCOM great since the 80s.

I'll say this though, I do expect, and predict he will be better than he has for a few years now. I think he's going to pull out whatever he has left for these shows. The old guys will bring it out of him. We all know he was "going through the motions" the last couple of years of NUgnr. We won't see that anymore.

My thoughts are like this, he has been saving his voice the last few years. What I mean by that is, the "Mickey" voice was on purpose. It doesn't require a lot of effort in his part to sing like that. I think he was doing it that way for a couple of reasons, but mainly because if he goes all out, he looses his voice for a couple of days. So he has to rest it before he can sing again. But if he does the "Mickey" voice, he can do more shows. NUgnr didn't demand the type of money that could afford 1show a week. They had to do 2 or 3 to make money. But with a reunion, I bet they do 1 show a week all summer if they tour. Look at aerosmith, they only do 1 show a week because that's all Stevens voice can handle at this age. I bet the same is true for Axl. If he knows he doesn't have to sing again for a whole week, we will get better vocal perfomrances.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ
  • Like 1

Tracy and Roberta will help get him through this.

Seriously though, Duff on backing vocals also. Izzy would help too. Axl is gonna be part raspy and part mickey.

I always thought that Axl sounded best when he was very angry or emotional. Maybe he could think of his breakup with Stephanie Seymour prior to going on stage so that he can give off a passionate performance.

I expect him to sound fine. Not too great, not too bad.

Honestly, thats just a hope so that its not embarrassing. I'm not gonna allow myself to think he'll sound terrible till I see it for myself, and I won't kid myself into thinking he'll sound outstanding. if he does, that surprise will be great.

Controlled mix of rasp and clean, and those several different voices he has (eg. It so Easy, Brownstown, Patience etc. specific voices).

One thing I'm looking forward to, is hearing Knockin On Heavens Door done how they used to do it. I cannot wait for that for some reason, always disliked newguns version despite it being closer to the original.

i hope for 2010 level vocals, but i have to admit my expectations are - as is always a good idea with this band - being kept fairly lower.

i would love for him to get out there and kill it in front of thousands of people and deliver a Chile/Bucharest/rose bar level vocal performance. but it's tough. he's only gotten older in the last five (going on six!) years so one can only hope.

i always post this because it's one of my favourite new-band performances:

he's killer on it.

Can anyone tell me what the reasons are that Axl has this "Mickey Mouse" voice on so many songs after the real GNR broke up?

I mean, look at Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler and Rob Halford and James Hetfield, all those guys still sound very similar to their old recordings.

Even Stephen Pearcy from Ratt sounds more like his old recordings than Axl, and that's not saying much because his vocals are shot...

But I'm just wondering WTF really happened to AXLs voice????

What really caused it to get so bad?

I mean it was awesome and then GNR broke up, he hasn't tourned as much after that break up as he did during the real GNR days, and Axl seems like a healthy guy that takes care of himself, so why does his voice sound like Mickey Mouse? Why can't he scream with a deeper more gravelly voice?

Why does he always sound like he just sucked in some helium???

Is he doing that on purpose?

Couldn't he just try singing in lower keys? Or eliminating all the high notes and sing with less range if that's where the problem is?

I just don't get why he can't sing without sounding like a cartoon character.

Even Alice Cooper 2015 live shows sound good, and Alice is older than Axl.

Just can't find the reason for Axls voice the way it is.

He sounds better and more natural when he is just talking in a interview than he does singing.

I hope his voice surprises us all now that they are reunited.

i hope for 2010 level vocals, but i have to admit my expectations are - as is always a good idea with this band - being kept fairly lower.

i would love for him to get out there and kill it in front of thousands of people and deliver a Chile/Bucharest/rose bar level vocal performance. but it's tough. he's only gotten older in the last five (going on six!) years so one can only hope.

he's killer on it.

He's better in that video than a lot of the stuff he's done after GNR, but even in that video he looks like he's tired, struggling and out of breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG63aj8cWu0

he's killer on it.

Excellent video. I think everyone would be happy if he showed up at Coachella looking and sounding like that.

Can anyone tell me what the reasons are that Axl has this "Mickey Mouse" voice on so many songs after the real GNR broke up?

I mean, look at Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler and Rob Halford and James Hetfield, all those guys still sound very similar to their old recordings.

Even Stephen Pearcy from Ratt sounds more like his old recordings than Axl, and that's not saying much because his vocals are shot...

But I'm just wondering WTF really happened to AXLs voice????

What really caused it to get so bad?

I mean it was awesome and then GNR broke up, he hasn't tourned as much after that break up as he did during the real GNR days, and Axl seems like a healthy guy that takes care of himself, so why does his voice sound like Mickey Mouse? Why can't he scream with a deeper more gravelly voice?

Why does he always sound like he just sucked in some helium???

Is he doing that on purpose?

Couldn't he just try singing in lower keys? Or eliminating all the high notes and sing with less range if that's where the problem is?

I just don't get why he can't sing without sounding like a cartoon character.

Even Alice Cooper 2015 live shows sound good, and Alice is older than Axl.

Just can't find the reason for Axls voice the way it is.

He sounds better and more natural when he is just talking in a interview than he does singing.

I hope his voice surprises us all now that they are reunited.

he's killer on it.

He's better in that video than a lot of the stuff he's done after GNR, but even in that video he looks like he's tired, struggling and out of breath.

I think he sounds incredible on the outro.