What type of vocal performance do you expect from Axl?

i hope for 2010 level vocals, but i have to admit my expectations are - as is always a good idea with this band - being kept fairly lower.

i would love for him to get out there and kill it in front of thousands of people and deliver a Chile/Bucharest/rose bar level vocal performance. but it's tough. he's only gotten older in the last five (going on six!) years so one can only hope.

i always post this because it's one of my favourite new-band performances:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG63aj8cWu0

he's killer on it.

I'll take this, along with the videos of him and Duff all day long. If he sounds like this, NONE of us have nothing to bitch about.

I've been a fan since the early 90s, I lived the break up, the CD rumors, oh my god, the 2002 line up, then 2006 line up, finally getting CD, the 2010 and on tours, etc. My point is, as a fan base we have put up with a lot to bitch about, we really have. So I understand the frustration. But right now is not a time to bitch. Right now is the BEST time to be a guns n roses fan since 1994 imo. Yes there were some other high points since then, but honestly this is the best thing that has happened IMO. I like CD, but this is BETTER than even CD being released.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Can anyone tell me what the reasons are that Axl has this "Mickey Mouse" voice on so many songs after the real GNR broke up?

I mean, look at Mick Jagger and Steven Tyler and Rob Halford and James Hetfield, all those guys still sound very similar to their old recordings.

Even Stephen Pearcy from Ratt sounds more like his old recordings than Axl, and that's not saying much because his vocals are shot...

But I'm just wondering WTF really happened to AXLs voice????

What really caused it to get so bad?

I mean it was awesome and then GNR broke up, he hasn't tourned as much after that break up as he did during the real GNR days, and Axl seems like a healthy guy that takes care of himself, so why does his voice sound like Mickey Mouse? Why can't he scream with a deeper more gravelly voice?

Why does he always sound like he just sucked in some helium???

Is he doing that on purpose?

Couldn't he just try singing in lower keys? Or eliminating all the high notes and sing with less range if that's where the problem is?

I just don't get why he can't sing without sounding like a cartoon character.

Even Alice Cooper 2015 live shows sound good, and Alice is older than Axl.

Just can't find the reason for Axls voice the way it is.

He sounds better and more natural when he is just talking in a interview than he does singing.

I hope his voice surprises us all now that they are reunited.

i hope for 2010 level vocals, but i have to admit my expectations are - as is always a good idea with this band - being kept fairly lower.

i would love for him to get out there and kill it in front of thousands of people and deliver a Chile/Bucharest/rose bar level vocal performance. but it's tough. he's only gotten older in the last five (going on six!) years so one can only hope.

i always post this because it's one of my favourite new-band performances:

he's killer on it.

He's better in that video than a lot of the stuff he's done after GNR, but even in that video he looks like he's tired, struggling and out of breath.

I think he sounds incredible on the outro.

Well, I will agree and say that the outro was the best part of that. It's still nowhere close to how he sang the outro of rocket queen at the Ritz 88 video though.

But with that said, Axl at his worst is better than Motley Crues Vince Neil at his best. I love both bands but the reason I didn't go see the Crues last tour was due to Vince just being a pathetic singer live.

I really don't care how poorly Axkl sings I know it will be the best show I ever saw when I go because I never got to see GNR live and they are my fave band. (Well Ozzy Osbournes Randy Rhoads years is probably my fave band of all time)

1. Full rasp, no hint of mickey (UYI/some parts of the 2006/2010 voice)

2. Some rasp, some mickey..like Chinese Democracy.

3. Full mickey.

4. AFD/Lies voice.

Would you rather have Axl stand still (Dublin) and sing well or dance and sing with the mickey voice?

Probably 2.

I'd much rather him stand still and sound good than run around and sound full Mickey.

1. Full rasp, no hint of mickey (UYI/some parts of the 2006/2010 voice)

2. Some rasp, some mickey..like Chinese Democracy.

3. Full mickey.

4. AFD/Lies voice.

Would you rather have Axl stand still (Dublin) and sing well or dance and sing with the mickey voice?

Probably 2.

I'd much rather him stand still and sound good than run around and sound full Mickey.

I think realistically it will be #2 also, and yeah I'd rather see the guy just stand still like Jim Morrison and sound good vs running around making it worse.

Something approaching the better performances of the past 10 years.

But I'll always hold out a degree of hope that he can one day sing again like he did from 88-93. Not that he sounded exactly the same during each of those years, but to me, all those years sound "good" (though towards end of the tour in 93 things were starting to change a little). And even though there were times in 06 and 2010 where he sounded a lot better than he did at anytime post 93, he was still not in the same league as 88-93.

The whole subject is so interesting to me, but confusing and frustrating too. I wish I understood singing better, or at least that we could hear from someone that is, who has really looked at the subject in-depth.

This is the closest thing I've ever found. There's a lot of speculation in it, like the stuff about having surgery sometime post 94, pre HOB gig in 2000 - I mean that's never been confirmed, but makes a lot of sense since how else could his voice change so dramatically from the show where he played Come Together with Springsteen, until HOB and RIR 3 in 00'-01'?

Then there are those few quotes from Moby, talking about 98-99, where he said Axl would be reticent to sing, and whenever someone asked him (Axl) about it, he'd get upset. Then there are the quotes from Youth (Killing Joke/producer on CD for spell) saying that at one point Axl hadn't sung for 18 months(?!)

That is interesting. Is it confirmed he went through surgery twice? That Rocket Queen video is excellent too. He was better in 2006 though. It's remarkable what physical fitness can do for a man.

Something approaching the better performances of the past 10 years.

But I'll always hold out a degree of hope that he can one day sing again like he did from 88-93. Not that he sounded exactly the same during each of those years, but to me, all those years sound "good" (though towards end of the tour in 93 things were starting to change a little). And even though there were times in 06 and 2010 where he sounded a lot better than he did at anytime post 93, he was still not in the same league as 88-93.

The whole subject is so interesting to me, but confusing and frustrating too. I wish I understood singing better, or at least that we could hear from someone that is, who has really looked at the subject in-depth.

This is the closest thing I've ever found. There's a lot of speculation in it, like the stuff about having surgery sometime post 94, pre HOB gig in 2000 - I mean that's never been confirmed, but makes a lot of sense since how else could his voice change so dramatically from the show where he played Come Together with Springsteen, until HOB and RIR 3 in 00'-01'?

Then there are those few quotes from Moby, talking about 98-99, where he said Axl would be reticent to sing, and whenever someone asked him (Axl) about it, he'd get upset. Then there are the quotes from Youth (Killing Joke/producer on CD for spell) saying that at one point Axl hadn't sung for 18 months(?!)

That is interesting. Is it confirmed he went through surgery twice? That Rocket Queen video is excellent too. He was better in 2006 though. It's remarkable what physical fitness can do for a man.

As far as I know, it's not confirmed he ever had any surgery at all. Unless the author of that Brazilian write-up I linked, knows something we don't.

Same as always.

People who go to the shows will say "Axl is on fire! He sounds amazing."

People who watch the videos back and can actually focus and hear what he sounds like will say he sounds like Mickey Mouse.

People who went to the shows will say "Watching YouTube videos doesn't give you the full effect of how his voice sounds" which makes no fuckin' sense.

They will argue that the experience/atmosphere of being at the show somehow means that Axl is better singer when you see him in person. When in reality, the combination of adrenaline, excitement, instrument/speaker sounds, and crowd noise is what is making it seem so great. You can hear it to an extent. But for the most part, it's drowned out and surrounded by all of those things, making it seem better than it is. Most people are willing to accept that.

I for one trust the video/audio recordings more to judge what his voice sounds like, because it makes a lot more sense.

• Like 1

Same as always.

People who watch the videos back and can actually focus and hear what he sounds like will say he sounds like Mickey Mouse.

People who went to the shows will say "Watching YouTube videos doesn't give you the full effect of how his voice sounds" which makes no fuckin' sense.

They will argue that the experience/atmosphere of being at the show somehow means that Axl is better singer when you see him in person. When in reality, the combination of adrenaline, excitement, instrument/speaker sounds, and crowd noise is what is making it seem so great. You can hear it to an extent. But for the most part, it's drowned out and surrounded by all of those things, making it seem better than it is. Most people are willing to accept that.

I for one trust the video/audio recordings more to judge what his voice sounds like, because it makes a lot more sense.

I accept that but does it matter? Going to a Guns N' Roses show is all about the adrenaline and excitement. Of the 20,000 people that go to their shows probably less than 5% go back and obsess over his vocal delivery.

I've seen them 3 times and I've never come away thinking Axl sounded anything other than sublime. Maybe the combination of music and vocals make the songs rather than just the direct audio of his microphone? I don't care what percentage of so-called "rasp" he's able to deliver. I want to drink cold beers and sing along to my favourite songs. Can't that be enough?

His vocals should be similar to those in Vegas 2014.

But...with no rehearsal, the first shows will probably be bad...lots of Mickey, out of breath etc.

Just compare opening show 2006: He did lots of rehearsals and kicked ass to the opening shows in Mexico 2007: Worst outro squeal of Jungle ever and out of breath performances in 09 - before kicking into a higher gear later on. Still, his better performances 11-14 have not been on par with his 2010 best.

He better not show up to a much hyped reunion show straight off the couch - like he did in Rio 11 and all the other recent tours - treating the first few live shows as warm-up/rehearsal, better come prepared when the whole world will be watching..

Edited by AppetiteForGnR

Same as always.

Only if those recordings are done with a decent microphone or are a board feed. Else I'd say that the actual live experience of the vocals easily beats the majority of youtube videos posted with shitty cell phones and subpar cameras.

Same as always.

I accept that but does it matter? Going to a Guns N' Roses show is all about the adrenaline and excitement. Of the 20,000 people that go to their shows probably less than 5% go back and obsess over his vocal delivery.

I've seen them 3 times and I've never come away thinking Axl sounded anything other than sublime. Maybe the combination of music and vocals make the songs rather than just the direct audio of his microphone? I don't care what percentage of so-called "rasp" he's able to deliver. I want to drink cold beers and sing along to my favourite songs. Can't that be enough?

Of course that's enough. I'm not saying that people shouldn't enjoy themselves and should go home and obsess over whether or not he had rasp.

What I'm saying is, when the specific topic of "Axl's vocal performance" comes up, people shouldn't use the defense of "Oh, it doesn't matter, I was at the show and he sounded great. That soundboard recording of his vocals doesn't give you the full experience."

As if "the experience" has anything to do with how someone's singing sounds. It's just a stupid defense.

And for the record, I've seen the band live many times between 2006-2014 and have enjoyed the hell out of myself. And I will be at Coachella. But when I go home and watch a video of the show, there's no denying if his vocals sound bad. I'm not gonna be like "Nahh, I was there. He sounded awesome. That video is a lie."

This time around Axl will deliver a decent vocal performance, for several reasons: to make a statement that he's still got it, to prove it to Slash and finally because he's probably contractually obligated to have some vocal coach lessons (usual with this kind of show fee).

I just want him into it and do what a 50 something can do... I am not expecting an 80's Axl... I am expecting someone getting into the song which he will... This is rock n roll, it is about an attitude and approach.

The energy is going to carry the day, you will feel fulfilled.

This time around Axl will deliver a decent vocal performance, for several reasons: to make a statement that he's still got it, to prove it to Slash and finally because he's probably contractually obligated to have some vocal coach lessons (usual with this kind of show fee).

"Make a statement he's still got it" assumes he still got it. That really might not be the case. And I doubt anyone would offer Axl fucking Rose a contrat with a clause that forces him to take vocal lessons.

• Like 1

I highly doubt that :lol:

He probably thinks he has sounded amazing these past few years.

Gotten be '09 - '10 levels.

'12-'14 and it won't be pretty. There's going to be a far stronger spot light on his performances this time round than in UCAP/ Vegas residencies etc. '12-'14 levels and high tickets prices for stadiums won't fly off the shelves. Very high level '14 and he just about had a chance, holding out for '09-'10 though.

Unless age has finally caught up to Axl, his physical shape is a direct relation to his voice. '06/'10 Axl was in decent shape, therefore he has more lung capacity and can dig deep for his voice that we know and love. Digging for that rasp takes a ton of lung capacity. If we get a pic of Axl closer to the first gig (whenever that is), I think we will have a decent idea of what version we're getting. I have no interest in body shaming anyone, but my comments are made purely on what I've noticed.

Unless age has finally caught up to Axl, his physical shape is a direct relation to his voice. '06/'10 Axl was in decent shape, therefore he has more lung capacity and can dig deep for his voice that we know and love. Digging for that rasp takes a ton of lung capacity. If we get a pic of Axl closer to the first gig (whenever that is), I think we will have a decent idea of what version we're getting. I have no interest in body shaming anyone, but my comments are made purely on what I've noticed.

I really don't think that physical shape has so much to do with it. Axl has an extremely demanding, balls to the wall singing style. Axl has a smoking history, cigarettes and cigars, from the 90's all the way to 2010. Axl is known for partying hard and often, obviously consuming alcohol through it all.

I remember that article from the 2010, talking about how Axl was hitting the nightlife like a fucking legend during the tour. He was doing that and also ripping into every song, like a motherfucker, night after night. I does not bode well, really. He hasn't sounded the same since then, I doubt it can be put down to a few extra pounds and cardio issues.

Remember, 2002 Axl had tons of cardio, was in good shape but had no rasp at all. 2010 Axl had a beer gut and a shitload of rasp.

no, he wasn't overweight at mtv 2002 and rio 01' and he sounded bad. He was what some would call 'overweight' in the vegas dvd, but he brought out the classic axl rasp and power at 7:20 mins into NR. Most people at his age are about his weight or heavier...its difficult for a man to not have a belly or some fat on his body past 40. Axl doesn't smoke anymore and may also be comfort eating to deal with stress in his life.

Edited by sonofnazareth

I think it comes down to how committed Axl is. In 09-10 he prepared that entire tour, he put in the work and saw how difficult it was to do everything with TB and in his own. I think the personal sacrifice and work he put into preparing the CD tour built his motivation to be better.

What we got was one of Axl's best vocal years. He put so much time into that tour after he fired his manager that not getting something out of it would be unacceptable.

So I hope he is really involved in this run with the old guys. I hope he's front and center, and understands everything that is about to happen. If he's just waiting for someone to tell him when and where to show up then it's going to be rough.

I think when we talk about Axl getting motivated this is what we want, we want a guy who is scared that this will fall on its face. We need a singer that wants to be the spotlight and the reason this thing is a success.

So let's hope Axl takes this thing to another level, arrive early, come prepared, and the easy part...put on a great show! Axl's got this