What type of vocal performance do you expect from Axl?

Something approaching the better performances of the past 10 years.

But I'll always hold out a degree of hope that he can one day sing again like he did from 88-93. Not that he sounded exactly the same during each of those years, but to me, all those years sound "good" (though towards end of the tour in 93 things were starting to change a little). And even though there were times in 06 and 2010 where he sounded a lot better than he did at anytime post 93, he was still not in the same league as 88-93.

The whole subject is so interesting to me, but confusing and frustrating too. I wish I understood singing better, or at least that we could hear from someone that is, who has really looked at the subject in-depth.

This is the closest thing I've ever found. There's a lot of speculation in it, like the stuff about having surgery sometime post 94, pre HOB gig in 2000 - I mean that's never been confirmed, but makes a lot of sense since how else could his voice change so dramatically from the show where he played Come Together with Springsteen, until HOB and RIR 3 in 00'-01'?

Then there are those few quotes from Moby, talking about 98-99, where he said Axl would be reticent to sing, and whenever someone asked him (Axl) about it, he'd get upset. Then there are the quotes from Youth (Killing Joke/producer on CD for spell) saying that at one point Axl hadn't sung for 18 months(?!)

Check out the LA shows from December 2006. Axl sounds every bit as good as he did in 1992/1993. It's almost scary how well he handles even Sweet Child O'Mine - he's always struggled with that one in the tonality department (save for maybe the 1988 Rifz show) but suddenly he knocks it out of the park.

Even in the early days Axl had some vocal struggles. His voice at Donington 1988 was pretty shot (although sounds kind of cool as a result), and for most of 1991 it was like he swallowed glass. 1992/1993 he seemed to find a good balance.

• Like 3

But I'll always hold out a degree of hope that he can one day sing again like he did from 88-93. Not that he sounded exactly the same during each of those years, but to me, all those years sound "good" (though towards end of the tour in 93 things were starting to change a little). And even though there were times in 06 and 2010 where he sounded a lot better than he did at anytime post 93, he was still not in the same league as 88-93.

The whole subject is so interesting to me, but confusing and frustrating too. I wish I understood singing better, or at least that we could hear from someone that is, who has really looked at the subject in-depth.

This is the closest thing I've ever found. There's a lot of speculation in it, like the stuff about having surgery sometime post 94, pre HOB gig in 2000 - I mean that's never been confirmed, but makes a lot of sense since how else could his voice change so dramatically from the show where he played Come Together with Springsteen, until HOB and RIR 3 in 00'-01'?

Then there are those few quotes from Moby, talking about 98-99, where he said Axl would be reticent to sing, and whenever someone asked him (Axl) about it, he'd get upset. Then there are the quotes from Youth (Killing Joke/producer on CD for spell) saying that at one point Axl hadn't sung for 18 months(?!)

Check out the LA shows from December 2006. Axl sounds every bit as good as he did in 1992/1993. It's almost scary how well he handles even Sweet Child O'Mine - he's always struggled with that one in the tonality department (save for maybe the 1988 Rifz show) but suddenly he knocks it out of the park.

Even in the early days Axl had some vocal struggles. His voice at Donington 1988 was pretty shot (although sounds kind of cool as a result), and for most of 1991 it was like he swallowed glass. 1992/1993 he seemed to find a good balance.

True...best SCOM ever since.....real Gn'R.

• Like 1

OK, so I watched Jungle, SCOM, and Nightrain. Probably the best I've heard post 93. Thanks for telling me about this.

But...they're still not as good as anything pre 93. He is singing differently than he did pre 93. I'll try to explain what I hear:

On SCOM in particular, it sounds like maybe he just took some drags off his oxygen tank? Like, his voice has all this volume, but there's no "ooomph" behind it. The voice is flying out of his mouth with seemingly no effort. In some ways that I don't have the words for, it is quite similar to a pre 93 SCOM, but in other ways, it is very different.

It's like...his voice is "arriving" at similar place to the old days, but he's taking a completely different "route" to get there, and you can hear it. That's what it sounds like to me.

I don't know if totally understand the 'head voice' vs. 'chest voice' thing, but maybe this is what this is? He's singing in his 'head' voice here, whereas pre 93' he used his 'chest' voice?

Edited by Brunzopolis

True...best SCOM ever since.....real Gn'R.

My other favourite from that show is Think About You. It sounds exactly like the Appetite version, absolutely insane.

Videos from 2006 have absolutely no bearing on how Axl will sound this year.. He looks and sounds like a totally different person.

I agree. That's hoping for a best case scenario miracle.

If he can muster up 2010, we have to take that as a win and the best we are going to do.

it takes a lot of energy to sing with that uyi style rasp..axl looks very chilled out when he's singing now and not putting a lot of chest energy into singing the songs like he used to. In some UYI concerts, axl looked/sounded like he was in a state of rage when he performed. I think that is also what contributed to the powerful vocals..it needs copious amounts of passion, energy and anger I believe.

I truly and sincerely think he will sound like he has sounded these past years, in other words, yep, like utter shit. I do hope that's not the case but I'm not putting faith in Axl again. I think it's better for me as a fan if he surprised me, kind of like he did when it was confirmed he and Slash were talking again. Couldn't believe it, refused to believe it but facts are facts and I was wrong.

• Like 1

I truly and sincerely think he will sound like he has sounded these past years, in other words, yep, like utter shit. I do hope that's not the case but I'm not putting faith in Axl again. I think it's better for me as a fan if he surprised me, kind of like he did when it was confirmed he and Slash were talking again. Couldn't believe it, refused to believe it but facts are facts and I was wrong.

I'm in the same boat. I remain in a position where Axl has to prove me wrong. He's the one who put my in that position, so it's on him to surprise me.

• Like 1

Yes, go in with zero expectations (Bridge School 2012 or Rio 2011) and see if he can do better. At the moment it just looks like a big cash grab. No reason to expect better performance from him.

It's funny you mention Bridge School........

I had a huge blow out bash at my house when Live 8 happened due to the Pink Floyd reunion. The whole day was awesome and Floyd lived up to or exceeded my expectations. Did a much smaller party for the Bridge School stream since I know a lot of JWIII fans and GN'R was playing right after him.

It was flat out embarassing to have encouraged people to watch GN'R after Jack absolutely killed it right before them. I ended up turning the stream off 2 songs into GN'R and we ended up just spinning records instead.

So now I'm left wondering what to do about Coachella since it'll probably be streamed. The music lover in me wants to have it on several TVs in the house, throw a big bash and have a lot of people over throughout the day, with all of it ending in Axl & Slash playing together for the first time since 1993. The realist in me doesn't want a house full of people seeing what could be a giant ass trainwreck.

Yes, go in with zero expectations (Bridge School 2012 or Rio 2011) and see if he can do better. At the moment it just looks like a big cash grab. No reason to expect better performance from him.

It's funny you mention Bridge School........

I had a huge blow out bash at my house when Live 8 happened due to the Pink Floyd reunion. The whole day was awesome and Floyd lived up to or exceeded my expectations. Did a much smaller party for the Bridge School stream since I know a lot of JWIII fans and GN'R was playing right after him.

It was flat out embarassing to have encouraged people to watch GN'R after Jack absolutely killed it right before them. I ended up turning the stream off 2 songs into GN'R and we ended up just spinning records instead.

So now I'm left wondering what to do about Coachella since it'll probably be streamed. The music lover in me wants to have it on several TVs in the house, throw a big bash and have a lot of people over throughout the day, with all of it ending in Axl & Slash playing together for the first time since 1993. The realist in me doesn't want a house full of people seeing what could be a giant ass trainwreck.

Just stream it for yourself. Axl is not worth having a huge party that forces you to hang your head in shame when he performs like a drunk, wheezy Mickey Mouse. Those same people would be better off watching Ritz 88 or just listen to Appetite itself.

I can't begin to express how funny this still is to me:

Fortus discussed Rose’s reasons for not reuniting the original Guns N’ Roses lineup, “He won’t whore himself out, he won’t do anything for business or money; it’s just about the music. And he won’t defend himself in the press, because he doesn’t think it matters; it’s just about the music — that’s all he cares about. I’ve worked with a lot of people in this business, and I’ve never seen, or met, anybody that was motivated purely by that — by the desire to make art. And you can say whatever you want about it, ’cause he’s not gonna defend himself, but he is that, and that’s for sure. Otherwise, there would have been a reunion [of the classic Guns N’ Roses lineup], because the offers for money have been outrageous. But he would never do a reunion unless it was for something besides money.”

It simultaneously makes me excited that he truly is doing it because he wants to, and furious that its probably just cause of money for these two. It'll no doubt be interesting to watch. The kicker is Slash can do it for the money, put in no effort, and still sound great. Axl, by all accounts, has to really be into it for him to put in a good performance.

i expect a pretty damn good performance,

Axl has been horrible these last few years, but mainly because of lack of motivation, i'm sorry if i hurt someone feelings, but with the guys that were in the band...., Axl wasn't motivated, it was a circus and he realized that a bit late, but you can tell by everything that happened behind the stage, he gain weight, he forgot lyrics to songs.... it just wasn't Axl...

But knowing that he's going to be onstage with Duff and Slah, both of them playing even better then the old days, he's motivated, he's gonna get in shape vocally and physically no doubt, and i expect a 2006 type of performance, sure he'll still ran out of air but it's definitely not going to be like the last few years...

If it doesn't happen, if he's not motivated to polish himself for what's coming... then it'll be the definitive end of GN'R

I expect the majority of the audience to leave the show very happy, the majority of reviewers to be lukewarm, and the majority of the youtube watching fans here to complain, complain and complain.

Really? If it is another Rio 2011 fuck up?

Are you saying the audiences didn't leave the show happy at that gig?

I expect the majority of the audience to leave the show very happy, the majority of reviewers to be lukewarm, and the majority of the youtube watching fans here to complain, complain and complain.

I think I recall one or two posters here who attended, saying it was painful!!

So yes, I am.

I think I recall one or two posters here who attended, saying it was painful!!

So yes, I am.

Regardless of whether we consider mygnrform members representative of the regular concert goers (besides, aren't you thinking about manet swho was INDEED happy about the performance but didn't like it when he views it back over youtibe afterwards?), it it still a moot point since I believe Axl will perform better than Rock in Rio 2011.