What type of vocal performance do you expect from Axl?

Yes, go in with zero expectations (Bridge School 2012 or Rio 2011) and see if he can do better. At the moment it just looks like a big cash grab. No reason to expect better performance from him.

I can't begin to express how funny this still is to me:

Fortus discussed Rose’s reasons for not reuniting the original Guns N’ Roses lineup, “He won’t whore himself out, he won’t do anything for business or money; it’s just about the music. And he won’t defend himself in the press, because he doesn’t think it matters; it’s just about the music — that’s all he cares about. I’ve worked with a lot of people in this business, and I’ve never seen, or met, anybody that was motivated purely by that — by the desire to make art. And you can say whatever you want about it, ’cause he’s not gonna defend himself, but he is that, and that’s for sure. Otherwise, there would have been a reunion [of the classic Guns N’ Roses lineup], because the offers for money have been outrageous. But he would never do a reunion unless it was for something besides money.”

It simultaneously makes me excited that he truly is doing it because he wants to, and furious that its probably just cause of money for these two. It'll no doubt be interesting to watch. The kicker is Slash can do it for the money, put in no effort, and still sound great. Axl, by all accounts, has to really be into it for him to put in a good performance.

Good to know it was Axl who shot down a reunion of the classic GnR lineup...once a douchebag, always a douchebag. ;)

I expect the majority of the audience to leave the show very happy, the majority of reviewers to be lukewarm, and the majority of the youtube watching fans here to complain, complain and complain.

Really? If it is another Rio 2011 fuck up?

Are you saying the audiences didn't leave the show happy at that gig?

I think I recall one or two posters here who attended, saying it was painful!!

So yes, I am.

Regardless of whether we consider mygnrform members representative of the regular concert goers (besides, aren't you thinking about manet swho was INDEED happy about the performance but didn't like it when he views it back over youtibe afterwards?), it it still a moot point since I believe Axl will perform better than Rock in Rio 2011.

So you are saying ''the regular concert goer'' is happy to be fobbed off with Mickey Mouse vocals, flubbed lyrics, missed cues and repelled attire? If anything, the mygnr members are going to be the more biased!

If Axl rehearses and soundchecks you may be correct.

Videos from 2006 have absolutely no bearing on how Axl will sound this year.. He looks and sounds like a totally different person.

You're not wrong, but those videos were discussing his tonal changes post 1993 and how the end of 2006 nearly matched his 1992/1993 voice with a strong hint of Appetite - not necessarily that we think he'll still sound like that. It was an offshoot of the main topic.

To be honest I've been very exicted about this whole reunion thing in the beginning - but since axl canceled the kimmel show (and the strange press release about the coachella line up afterwards) sth is not right with this whole thing. It reminds me to much of the CD debacle (marketing wise) - and if Axl doesn't give a fuck about promoting the whole thing I don't think we can expect an over the top perfomance from him at coachella.

I can't believe it but somehow it seems like they even manage to fuck this whole thing up somehow - they could have created much more attention for this with a well organized press conference (axl slash duff) or axl appearing at kimmel

Hope that they announce further tour plans soon now that coachella is already sold out - so that we see that sth is still going on here

• Like 1

I expect the majority of the audience to leave the show very happy, the majority of reviewers to be lukewarm, and the majority of the youtube watching fans here to complain, complain and complain.

Really? If it is another Rio 2011 fuck up?

Are you saying the audiences didn't leave the show happy at that gig?

I think I recall one or two posters here who attended, saying it was painful!!

So yes, I am.

Regardless of whether we consider mygnrform members representative of the regular concert goers (besides, aren't you thinking about manet swho was INDEED happy about the performance but didn't like it when he views it back over youtibe afterwards?), it it still a moot point since I believe Axl will perform better than Rock in Rio 2011.

So you are saying ''the regular concert goer'' is happy to be fobbed off with Mickey Mouse vocals, flubbed lyrics, missed cues and repelled attire?

No, I didn't say anything of the sort. I said that I think the majority of the concert-goers will be happy with Axl's perfomance, and that I believe he will do better than at RIR 2011 :shrugs:.

If the vocals are horrible, the mary jane will have to be high quality for the audience to have that reaction. In all seriousness, GNR are thunderously loud and its sometimes difficult to make out the mickey tone at the show when its backed up by the sheer volume of the band.

He'll sound like 2011 shows i think. Clean voice all the way and a few songs with rasp.

Early 2011 is disastrous. Late 2011 is bad.

I'll be devastated if that's what happens. I'm not expecting him to rasp YCBM, but I really, really hope for no mickey.

It'd sure be nice I saw a 2010 video and no joke FULL RASP ON YCBM was a great show only thing missing was him in shape I really think if he was to be all he could be he'd sound close

Let's be realistic here. Axl isn't aging the best, and he is older than ever! No way he is gonna sound better than before, say 2006-2010. It should be something like Vegas 2014. But, he has never sounded good at the initially stages after a long lay-off. And, 2014 is already two years ago. Hope he works on his vocals a bit before showing up for the shows.

Edited by AppetiteForGnR

You people took too long. I just watched a good portion of this show and Axl sounds "good enough" for me. If Axl can pull off sounding like this with Axl and Slash along side it will be great. The more members from the classic era the better and I really hope they decide to "trim some of the fat"..

There is nothing I want to see more in the world of Rock N' Roll than a reunion of the Appetite lineup. I want as close to it as it can get.. But hopefully Axl busts his ass to at least get in this form and we will have something special happening either way.

Oh.. And the credits just rolled on this show.. TEAM BRASIL is a real thing? hahahah I always thought it was a name given to Axl's management by the fans here.. Who knew? I really haven't followed NuGuns closely since about 2002.

Edited by Tom-Ass

The 2012 O2 show? That was probably one of the worst from 2012. If he could do Philly 2012 every night that would be incredible. But saying that Vegas '14 had thicker, stronger vocals. He just needs the breath for it.

Yeah, O2 2012 is not that good. Denver 2011, Philly 2012 and Vegas 2014 are the highlights post 2010. If he performs on that standard in the reunion, most people, except for hardcore fans will be largely satisfied.

I'd go as far as saying that 2010 vocals would put some people off. There will be shitloads of non GNR fans watching this, and that obscene amount of rasp may very well lead to uneducated on GNR people saying Axl was hoarse and screeching. Vegas 2014 vocals might even have a better reception among mainstream media and concert goers than 2010 would. Not that I'd care about those, for me 2010 Axl was a fucking beast.

You people took too long. I just watched a good portion of this show and Axl sounds "good enough" for me. If Axl can pull off sounding like this with Axl and Slash along side it will be great. The more members from the classic era the better and I really hope they decide to "trim some of the fat"..

There is nothing I want to see more in the world of Rock N' Roll than a reunion of the Appetite lineup. I want as close to it as it can get.. But hopefully Axl busts his ass to at least get in this form and we will have something special happening either way.

Oh.. And the credits just rolled on this show.. TEAM BRASIL is a real thing? hahahah I always thought it was a name given to Axl's management by the fans here.. Who knew? I really haven't followed NuGuns closely since about 2002.

Most people think Axl sounds pretty awful in those O2 Arena videos.

I admittedly haven't paid much attention to NuGNR after 2008, but I just went to YouTube and watched some of the live DVD Axl put out and HOLY SHIT does he sound bad. If that's how he's going to sound, they honestly shouldn't even bother showing up Coachella. The world is going to be watching and it will just further tarnish his legacy.

All that said, he sounded awful in 2002 and came back to sound great in 2006. I recall hearing around that time that he was working with Baz's vocal coach on doing vocal exercises before/after shows during those tours. Maybe he needs to give that guy a call.

I admittedly haven't paid much attention to NuGNR after 2008, but I just went to YouTube and watched some of the live DVD Axl put out and HOLY SHIT does he sound bad. If that's how he's going to sound, they honestly shouldn't even bother showing up Coachella. The world is going to be watching and it will just further tarnish his legacy.

All that said, he sounded awful in 2002 and came back to sound great in 2006. I recall hearing around that time that he was working with Baz's vocal coach on doing vocal exercises before/after shows during those tours. Maybe he needs to give that guy a call.

He left Baz's vocal coach after he repeatedly got sick doing the vocal excercises. I think his current vocal coach is that guy that's been with him forever, he sent him one of those commemorative Chinese Democracy things last year...I can't remember the name though

Ron Anderson is the name

http://www.ronandersonvocals.com

Edited by IncitingChaos

He left Baz's vocal coach after he repeatedly got sick doing the vocal excercises. I think his current vocal coach is that guy that's been with him forever, he sent him one of those commemorative Chinese Democracy things last year...I can't remember the name though

Ron Anderson is the name

http://www.ronandersonvocals.com

That's too bad. I know people will pick out certain shows here and there they really like, but Baz's guy had him sounding better on a night-in-night-out basis than anytime in Axl's career post-1993.

Ron Anderson is the namehttp://www.ronandersonvocals.com

That's too bad. I know people will pick out certain shows here and there they really like, but Baz's guy had him sounding better on a night-in-night-out basis than anytime in Axl's career post-1993.

I think there was an older lady Jillian or something that helped Axl vocally during AFD, but he went to Ron Anderson after. I doubt Axl shows up for many appointments anymore.

Honestly, what many of you regard as "awesome rasp" sounds froglike to me. The rasp that really impressed me has hardly been heard since Lies, which is arguably the best era in regards to Axl's vocals. Even in he UYI era it seemed like his voice had been damaged and he had to reach his rasp in a different way which often sounded much worse. However, I remember a video of Sailing from 2006 that was awesome.

Either way, if he can't get his voice in reasonable shape for the tour I wish they would adapt the setlist and tuning after his abilities.

And if that is not enough or doable - seriously, the shape will matter a lot. Making a big comeback with the world watching looking unrecognizable and overweight and singing badly will not go down well with the public

My money is on the option: none. As I expect that Axl will get too heavy shivers down his spine and pull out. The next thing we'll hear from him will be in 2022, when he opens a ton of new Taco Bells in the Islamic States new European provinces.

But if that does not happen, I expect him to improve from the last time we saw him. If he only gets his weight down and fitness up, that is enough to provide a improved performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GyDzjq4x7g

like this, his last performance

which in my opinion sounds incredibly like 2006/2010 at most parts. check out the other videos from this gig (June 7th, 2014) and he sang great.

also, this nightrain is awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-ioBJnDiSI

Nightrain *.*

Really good preformance, i wouldnt mind if he came out like this