How to know what pressing of Appetite Vinyl??

gunsguy

Obviously huge fan admittedly don't know much about Vinyl or all the pressings that were made.

A friend says he got original Appetite (not rape) sealed and I wanna make sure it is what they said it was. I know they re-released it on 180 gram recently and other than that dont know much about the vinyls

How can I tell? Stickers? Barcode? etc?

Thanks for helping if ya can!

Edited by gunsguy

check this site:

http://www.discogs.com/Guns-N-Roses-Appetite-For-Destruction/master/9467

use the "cat number" to tell what country the vinyl is from, and what year

Where is the cat number on a sealed copy?

the catalog number will either be found on the spine of the album or on the back cover. The catalog number is often found in more than one place, both on the outside of the album and on the disc itself. It is nearly always scratch printed into the runoff groove near the center of 33 rpm records and may also appear on the label. 45 and 78 rpm records nearly always will have the catalog number printed right on the label

It appears to be a 2008 reissue from what I can tell and match on troccoli site, either from UK or USA, dont know without opening it I assume. (it is missing the "back to black" sticker though?)

Makes no difference, the guy that sold it sold it as an original sealed appetite, looks like it is time to go back to store for my friend, he bought it for his 12 year old son who is starting a record collection. (told him to wait for me but...)

here are the pics I took of it.

fTIAITC.jpg

f8HSWhv.jpg

jdcbSqN.jpg

60ujDfI.jpg

Edited by gunsguy

It appears to be a 2008 reissue from what I can tell and match on troccoli site, either from UK or USA, dont know without opening it I assume. (it is missing the "back to black" sticker though?)

Makes no difference, the guy that sold it sold it as an original sealed appetite, looks like it is time to go back to store for my friend, he bought it for his 12 year old son who is starting a record collection. (told him to wait for me but...)

fTIAITC.jpg

f8HSWhv.jpg

jdcbSqN.jpg

60ujDfI.jpg

BEFORE YOU RETURN IT..

That record looks like it could, possibly, maybe, have the chance of being a color vinyl so if he is looking to collect something out of the ordinary, that could work.

My never pressing of AFD has he same numbers though and its not colored.

Edited by KeyserSoze

i learned that by reading a Axl interview by the way

HP: As you look back on the Use Your Illusion albums with a little perspective, are you still glad that you released so much material at one time?
AXL: Slash and I were just discussing that this morning, and there’s no way we regret it. We’re very proud of what we’ve done. We had planned on doing that even before we had done our first album. We didn’t know that it would include quite as many songs, but we knew we had to bury Appetite in some way. There was no way to out-do that album, and if we didn’t out-do Appetite in one way or another it was going to take away from our success and the amount of power we had gained to do what we wanted. We got all the material we needed to out of our system, and commercially it’s been a major success. The only draw back we’ve had is due to Tipper Gore, and her work to have stickers placed on albums. That really hindered us, I believe.

HP: It’s hard to believe that Mrs. Vice President has actually had an impact on Guns N’ Roses.
AXL: Her efforts really hurt our sales in the States. The whole stickering thing took its effect because major record chains like K-Mart and Walmart, which are 50 percent of a band’s sales, won’t even carry our albums. You’ve got to realize that certain income families don’t let their kids shop just anywhere. When I was growing up, we were a K-Mart family, so I speak from experience. You could look wherever you wanted, but you bought things at K-Mart because it’s a little cheaper. I think the fact that Tipper Gore is closer to power is something that we’ll have to deal with. I think the Gores toned down their act in order to get the vote, but I haven’t forgotten what she’s done. She did achieve her goal – first albums had to be stickered, then stores wouldn’t carry stickered albums.

---

so that dates the stickers coming into play around 90-91

Edited by -W.A.R-

fTIAITC.jpg

f8HSWhv.jpg

jdcbSqN.jpg

60ujDfI.jpg

BEFORE YOU RETURN IT..

That record looks like it could, possibly, maybe, have the chance of being a color vinyl so if he is looking to collect something out of the ordinary, that could work.

My never pressing of AFD has he same numbers though and its not colored.

Does it have the printed on parental advisory?

I don't think the coloured re-issues had the advisory labels, but I don't have one so I wouldn't know for sure. I have a normal 'back to black' re-issue, with the printed on advisory label, and it looks exactly the same, I'm sure that's what's in your pictures GG.

Did yours say back in black ?

This is the confusion, I don't think all 2008 releases had the Back in Black sticker.

how much did he pay?

approx $50 CAD

According to http://www.troccolitm.com/appetite.html?1165058660953the color vinyls all say under the barcode also available on cassette and compact disc, this one does not. Which is why I am even more suspect

Edited by gunsguy

so $34 in US dollars. not as bad as thought. he overpaid by about 10-15 bucks.

don't know why he thought a sealed first pressing of Appetite would go that cheap

He didn't know anything his kid wanted it ;) he ain't a huge fan. He had mentioned it and I told him to wait oh well at least he got something. Question is if he opens it what is sound quality like on reissue?