Still worried that a reunited GNR won't sell tickets?

If Axl shows up in terrible form like Rio 2011 or Bridge School 2012, I think most fans will be OK if they don't do any shows after Coachella.

Absolutely not. I wann see this line-up regardless of Axl's voice condition. And I'm pretty sure there's many more people like me.

Sorry but that's ridiculous! If Axl isn't able to cut it, the reunion should not be happening. I want to see Slash and Axl on the same stage just as much as anyone but I'm not paying €100+ to be disappointed.

I think Axl will be OK on the first gig, he might be great for all we know... but experience makes you wise. He tends to come out of the gates a bit weak, especially on the last few tours.

IF he is getting his shit together this early I think he's planning on not making a complete tool of himself. After 20 years and all the things that have been said he does not want to be the guy everyone's pointing fingers at, he wants to be the highlight of the show... I don't think anything less than a 7/10 performance from him is gonna get positive reviews. And believe it, as many people want this to go well, there's even more that want it to crash and burn so they can rip it to shreds the next day.

As far as how well a tour will do. They can definitely pull off an initial worldwide stadium tour for the first run. If they manage to keep some mystique and don't bow it on that first run with half hearted performances and 3hr long waits for audiences they could do something similar again... probably with much less hoopla... IF they manage to write a really good album; it's probably not gonna light the radio world on fire, but it would legitimise the "regrouping" just like Black Sabbaths 13 legitimised their reunion and that certainly helped sell a few tickets.

I don't think there's gonna be any issue selling tickets to any further shows. Everyone know's that America is a hard sell even for the biggest of bands (Metallica etc), so if they'll struggle anywhere it'll be the U.S.

• Like 1

Seriously tho, I don't think it will happen, but... if Axl come out late at Coachella, the crowd is going to shit all over it. It's his reputation that people know now, and that Coachella crowd will be less than forgiving. Best thing they can do is go on 5 mins early as sort of a joke and statement.

Even the Stones struggle to sell out stadiums these day here........

Probably because as rich as the Stones are, they still charge $400 for a damn ticket.

Fair point but my point is there are not many acts today who still sell out stadiums and I have my doubts a reunion GnR can.

IMO they have already discussed for a US and (maybe) a European tour.But they haven't booked anything because they want to see how Coachella goes.If Axl has another Rock In Rio-Bridge School show, I don't think Slash and Duff would continue with that.The most awaited reunion in the history of music will be a disapointment and Slash&Duff don't want this.They have their own projects and they can go on with that-they did it for almost 20 years.And this is why they started rehearshals too early (I'm sure Slash's pic was from GNR rehearshals).If Coachella goes good,the road is open for tons of money to get.They surely want that.

PS: even if Axl sucks, I'd still beg for a European tour.Damn it, it's Axl and Slash together!

The Stadiums,IMO would have to be booked by now. Maybe they can't announce dates due to a cause in the Coachella contracts but there is no way they could start booking dates in April for a summer US stadium tour. UCAP venues might be able to booked on shorter notice but Stadiums at the price GNR are reportedly asking for? I doubt it.

IMO they have already discussed for a US and (maybe) a European tour.But they haven't booked anything because they want to see how Coachella goes.If Axl has another Rock In Rio-Bridge School show, I don't think Slash and Duff would continue with that.The most awaited reunion in the history of music will be a disapointment and Slash&Duff don't want this.They have their own projects and they can go on with that-they did it for almost 20 years.And this is why they started rehearshals too early (I'm sure Slash's pic was from GNR rehearshals).If Coachella goes good,the road is open for tons of money to get.They surely want that.

PS: even if Axl sucks, I'd still beg for a European tour.Damn it, it's Axl and Slash together!

The Stadiums,IMO would have to be booked by now. Maybe they can't announce dates due to a cause in the Coachella contracts but there is no way they could start booking dates in April for a summer US stadium tour. UCAP venues might be able to booked on shorter notice but Stadiums at the price GNR are reportedly asking for? I doubt it.

Usually the only clause is a distance clause. You can't play a show in a city within like 300 miles or something of the festival within so many days/months. That wouldn't really be a problem for a band that should have management that would know to book the first tour dates not on the west coast.

Usually the only clause is a distance clause. You can't play a show in a city within like 300 miles or something of the festival within so many days/months. That wouldn't really be a problem for a band that should have management that would know to book the first tour dates not on the west coast.

To me 25 stadiums might seem ambitious but let's say they draw 40,000 per show which is entirely possible with a strong opener like The Killers (just a guess based on rumors that the opener is a newer arena act) I see no way that they do Coachella and that's it. Slash seems to have carved out 2016 for GNR so I'd say they have a lot of touring ahead of them this year.

Seriously tho, I don't think it will happen, but... if Axl come out late at Coachella, the crowd is going to shit all over it. It's his reputation that people know now, and that Coachella crowd will be less than forgiving. Best thing they can do is go on 5 mins early as sort of a joke and statement.

They seem to do okay with festivals for the most part. Admittedly it's always odd seeing YouTube footage of the band playing in daylight because Axl actually managed to be there on time.

They'll be able to sell out 25 stadiums in the US on the strength of Axl, Duff & Slash being involved IMO. They'll be able to get $150-$200 for floor and lower bowl, probably $85-$120 for club level, then $30-$75 for upper bowl.

They'll be able to sell out 25 stadiums in the US on the strength of Axl, Duff & Slash being involved IMO. They'll be able to get $150-$200 for floor and lower bowl, probably $85-$120 for club level, then $30-$75 for upper bowl.

That's about a million and a half tickets on the low end of estimates. Overseas, yes I could see that but here? No way. Even with a strong opener I can't see that. Now,I don't think anybody will be going poor and with merch/beer sales,I'm sure the promoters will be happy. The only time I can see them selling out that many stadiums is if they come back in 2017 and bill it as a true farewell tour with the AFD 5.

That's about a million and a half tickets on the low end of estimates. Overseas, yes I could see that but here? No way. Even with a strong opener I can't see that. Now,I don't think anybody will be going poor and with merch/beer sales,I'm sure the promoters will be happy. The only time I can see them selling out that many stadiums is if they come back in 2017 and bill it as a true farewell tour with the AFD 5.

I think the ticket prices are key. If they keep it in line with what I suggested, I really don't think they'll have a hard time selling the tour out.

This would of course only be viable on the back of an excellent show at Coachella followed by a full court press of media.

I think the ticket prices are key. If they keep it in line with what I suggested, I really don't think they'll have a hard time selling the tour out.

This would of course only be viable on the back of an excellent show at Coachella followed by a full court press of media.

That second part is key. I know hype seems quiet right now but that's only because there's nothing else out there aside from Coachella. We're talking about a sold out, major festival that is still four months away so there's little to discuss. It's very much a "wait and see" now as far as the public is concerned. Ideally we'll get the tour dates before Coachella and then hopefully a dynamite performance sets off the hype train.

They should play MLS Stadiums in the markets where they exist- smaller places that seat 30k. Larger than an arena, but not a baseball/football stadium either. Technically, this would still be the US Stadium Tour, just smaller ones. You'll need to seat more people though for $5-6 million a show, unless every ticket price is $300, the promoter is doing charity work, or if they land a major corporate sponsor (Taco Bell/Yum Brands - would be cheesy but would keep the ticket prices down).

Edited by Eddie Money

they will pack stadiums even if prices are high. GNR has a huge fan base which includes people in their teens/20s who never got to see Slash, Duff and Axl together. Its not just older fans that appreciate this reunion/regrouping...lots of teens (who will pack the stadiums) are super excited that GNR are back.

they will pack stadiums even if prices are high. GNR has a huge fan base which includes people in their teens/20s who never got to see Slash, Duff and Axl together. Its not just older fans that appreciate this reunion/regrouping...lots of teens (who will pack the stadiums) are super excited that GNR are back.

It's true that there are teens/20s who are excited. Which is great. But teens rely on parents paying for tickets, and 18 - early 20s are often students, living on a student budget. To pack stadiums, they have to do well at Coachella, and ticket prices have to be reasonable.

Last time they came around, in 2012, I paid somewhere between £40 - £50 for a front row ticket in the first block right by the stage. With Slash and Duff on board, I would expect them to charge more. The prices mentioned, though, would be four times as much for the same seat. That is rather steep.

I know that that's the (rumoured) top price, but who wants to sit in the kind of seat in a stadium where you can't really see a thing? They're the kind of seats where you can say that you were there, but you don't get much enjoyment out of it. At least, I wouldn't.

People who are big fans, and who have enough money (not every big fan will) might be willing to pay a lot to see the band. Casual fans... I'm not so sure. Yet, as said, the cheaper seats aren't that appealing, either. And they'd probably still be the same price I paid for a really good seat a few years ago.

I don't know how they managed to pull it off without Gilby. Clearly, as long as Axl and Slash are on stage together, the audience will approve. Duff only improves the reception and Izzy, Steven/Matt would make it even better.

A few purists thought it would need to be a complete AFD reunion and ONLY AFD for it to be a huge event. Then a few thought that having any nugnr member over someone like Gilby would be a failure. Neither are true.

It's true that there are teens/20s who are excited. Which is great. But teens rely on parents paying for tickets, and 18 - early 20s are often students, living on a student budget. To pack stadiums, they have to do well at Coachella, and ticket prices have to be reasonable.

Last time they came around, in 2012, I paid somewhere between £40 - £50 for a front row ticket in the first block right by the stage. With Slash and Duff on board, I would expect them to charge more. The prices mentioned, though, would be four times as much for the same seat. That is rather steep.

I know that that's the (rumoured) top price, but who wants to sit in the kind of seat in a stadium where you can't really see a thing? They're the kind of seats where you can say that you were there, but you don't get much enjoyment out of it. At least, I wouldn't.

People who are big fans, and who have enough money (not every big fan will) might be willing to pay a lot to see the band. Casual fans... I'm not so sure. Yet, as said, the cheaper seats aren't that appealing, either. And they'd probably still be the same price I paid for a really good seat a few years ago.

I'm not a huge fan of stadiums, but there is a certain kind of atmosphere that you'll only get in a stadium. As for the teen's not being able to afford the prices, well they can ask their parents to buy them a GNR ticket as a birthday present or as some sort of gift. My mother got me a ticket as a birthday present to see a band i liked when I was in my teens.

Edited by sonofnazareth

I'm not a huge fan of stadiums, but there is a certain kind of atmosphere that you'll only get in a stadium. As for the teen's not being able to afford the prices, well they can ask their parents to buy them a GNR ticket as a birthday present or as some sort of gift. My mother got me a ticket as a birthday present to see a band i liked when I was in my teens.

True, my parents bought me a few tickets when I was a teen. Not $275 tickets, though! Don't think I have ever received a present costing that much... Plus they'd probably have to buy two, depending on how old their kid is.

True, my parents bought me a few tickets when I was a teen. Not $275 tickets, though! Don't think I have ever received a present costing that much... Plus they'd probably have to buy two, depending on how old their kid is.

How much are One Direction tickets? No one seems to have an issue shelling out on those! :lol:

How much are One Direction tickets? No one seems to have an issue shelling out on those! :lol:

I can't believe you had me looking up One Direction tickets. :lol: From official ticket sites, they were between £43.45 and £71.50 last year, apparently.

Buying them from scalpers and other such people is a whole different matter. Some insane prices, there!

Edited by Kittiara
  • Like 1