Question for techies (non forum related)

Estranged Reality

Long story short I lost data on my galaxy s6 so I downloaded a recovery app that does a one-time root to access files. So it installed the towelroot.apk file into my data folder, but the root itself failed and the recovery app didn't work. It never rooted my phone, but now I can't delete the apk file because I don't have root access and the file is tripping my Antivirus program for my phone. Is there any way to delete the file without rooting or should I just tell my Antivirus to ignore it? I just feel weird having it sitting in there... If i ever need the warranty honored I don't know if that's something they'll see sitting in there when they examine the device.

Would a hard reset of the phone delete these files?

Alternatively if my best bet is indeed to root the phone to delete this file and recover my data, what's the most guaranteed way not to void My warranty? Never rooted before.

You should be able to root then unroot. It isn't something you should mess with without knowing how though.

On my phone I have to unlock bootloader(not normal phone unlock) then root it. To unroot I would have to unroot and relock bootloader. Unless your bootloader is unlocked the warranty stands, it is all they look for they don't look at apps and that file you downloaded is just an app.

Edited by gunsguy

I think Axlisold hit the nail on the head. Unless you are tech savvy or can find a youtube video to guide you I would not mess with trying to root the phone to try to recover your data....Just do a a factory reset. Unless you backed up your data on the cloud you will lose it but at least you should have a clean slate to work with.