Who´s more iconic at this time?

ralebava

Slash, far and away.

Axl has become something of a joke. He's more remembered for his staggering failures after GNR rather than his accomplishments with GNR.

And no, nuGNR isn't GNR.

Yes it is, whether you like it or not... wait, which NuGn'R are we talking about? We got plenty :lol:

Agree with the first part tho. Axl is a joke nowadays and it was all his doing. Slash had his fair share of embarassing moments, like the black eyed peas hat and the phineas and ferb purple Disney magic, but at least he still delivers quality gigs, while Axl fucked up his voice beyond recognition.

Slash is a rock icon, he's beloved among metal fans and hip hop fans, something really hard to accomplish.

Axl? Well, people just talk about his delays, no-shows and botoxed face. Unfortunately he never released (good) music enough to shift the focus to his musical efforts rather than his several flaws.

There is absolutely no question about it. Slash is far and away more iconic. EVERYONE knows who he is. Not everyone know who Axl is anymore. Far from it. That's a fact. It was a fact 5 years ago. A lot of times there are people on this and other GnR sites who live in this online bubble and they think Axl is but it's not even close.

Slash, far and away.

Axl has become something of a joke. He's more remembered for his staggering failures after GNR rather than his accomplishments with GNR.

And no, nuGNR isn't GNR.

This.

Axl is a joke, Slash a rock icon. Too bad my favorite singer became that instead of a legend.

• Like 2

Slash is more iconic right now, but Axl is rated higher in the history of singers/frontmen than Slash is in the history of guitarists if you look at Rolling Stone's lists and other media lists. But the guitarist list is a very tough one to beat with people like Hendrix, Allman, Johnson, King, Berry, Richards, Page, Clapton, Beck, and on and on. Slash was not even in the Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists when they first did the list in the early 2000's, which I think is a damn shame considering they had Cobain rated 12th and Hammett 11th. Axl was rated the 64th best singer by Rolling Stone.

Slash, far and away.

And no, nuGNR isn't GNR.

This.

Axl is a joke, Slash a rock icon. Too bad my favorite singer became that instead of a legend.

Axl is a joke AND a legend at the same time. Howard Hughes was the same way and so was Michael Jackson. The two characteristics can co-exist believe it or not. No matter what he did over the last 20 years to ruin his reputation and image, it doesn't take away what he was in his prime and that was arguably the greatest frontman who ever existed.

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 1

Historically they both are as representations of their era. More recently Axl hasn't particularly endeared himself to the public at large with some of his choices but has retained some of his mysticism by being reclusive and unpredictable. Slash has become the much more public figure but his accessibility makes him a bit less interesting (in terms of discussion).

I'm a bit on the fence, I did think the other day after that changing face of Bowie gif was going round that you could do something similar with Axl, not so much Slash. :lol:

Slash......by a large margin.

Axl has become a caricature of his old self. Most people laugh at his hi-jinks anymore. Hopefully he does a good job (like sounding decent, showing up on time, not fighting with Slash and Duff, etc.) on this tour to help rehabilitate his image.

IMO Slash sold his soul to the media. We saw him with Ellen Degeneres in his house. But Axl didnt give a shit to anybody. Axl decided to live more appart from the media, and thats all that the business world does not forgive him...

Appart of this, Slash played with everybody, didnt think it so well.... Martha Sanchez, Paulina Rubio, Fergie....

The Axl´s voice is an icon... Slash is the last guitar hero.

Objectively i want your opinnion, not like fans....

Slash is more iconic right now, but Axl is rated higher in the history of singers/frontmen than Slash is in the history of guitarists if you look at Rolling Stone's lists and other media lists. But the guitarist list is a very tough one to beat with people like Hendrix, Allman, Johnson, King, Berry, Richards, Page, Clapton, Beck, and on and on. Slash is not even in the Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists, which I think is a damn shame considering they had Cobain rated 12th and Hammett 11th. Axl was rated the 64th best singer by Rolling Stone.

Slash, far and away.

And no, nuGNR isn't GNR.

This.

Axl is a joke AND a legend at the same time. Howard Hughes was the same way and so was Michael Jackson. The two characteristics can co-exist believe it or not. No matter what he did over the last 20 years to ruin his reputation and image, it doesn't take away what he was in his prime and that was arguably the greatest frontman who ever existed.

Unless they released a more recent list, their 2011 list had him at #65. I'd say he definitely should be top #25 at least. He's made the top 10 in some other lists, though none of these lists really matter. Slash has much better brand recognition and fan following than the vast majority of those on either lists.

Slash is more iconic right now, but Axl is rated higher in the history of singers/frontmen than Slash is in the history of guitarists if you look at Rolling Stone's lists and other media lists. But the guitarist list is a very tough one to beat with people like Hendrix, Allman, Johnson, King, Berry, Richards, Page, Clapton, Beck, and on and on. Slash is not even in the Rolling Stone Top 100 guitarists, which I think is a damn shame considering they had Cobain rated 12th and Hammett 11th. Axl was rated the 64th best singer by Rolling Stone.

Slash, far and away.

And no, nuGNR isn't GNR.

This.

Unless they released a more recent list, their 2011 list had him at #65. I'd say he definitely should be top #25 at least. He's made the top 10 in some other lists, though none of these lists really matter. Slash has much better brand recognition and fan following than the vast majority of those on either lists.

Their original list from the early 2000's didn't have him, so I am very glad to see they put him in there. I'd rank him a lot better than 65 (especially if the likes of Cobain are in the Top 15 lol), but 65 is a hell of a lot better than the initial ranking.

Axl is not a joke Axl is Rock Superatar He changes his image often to iconic looks: braids handlebar mustache etc.

Slash is more of the Joke today because he has the Same hat the same hair he is like bugs bunny or mickey mouse and can't write any good guitar parts without the genius axl rose to guide him.

Axl is number Rockstar in the world of all time.

• Like 2

Axl is not a joke Axl is Rock Superatar He changes his image often to iconic looks: braids handlebar mustache etc.

Slash is more of the Joke today because he has the Same hat the same hair he is like bugs bunny or mickey mouse and can't write any good guitar parts without the genius axl rose to guide him.

Dude, calm down. Me as axl fan find this too much...

a true axl fan would understand Axl Rose is a genius

Slash, far and away.

And no, nuGNR isn't GNR.

Remembered by who? Virtually the entire 'NuGNR' era came and went and most mainstream/casual music people (IE- 90% of the general population) didn't even notice.

5% of the remaining people are us... the hardcore fans. And the other 5% are South Americans... where Axl is regarded as a god. And I for one wouldn't call Axl's ventures staggering failures. They weren't a huge success, but they certainly weren't failures. CD has sold over a million records. They sold out a lot of shows around the world. In fact, Axl was probably way more financially successful than Slash was.

I think both are just as iconic. It's hard to think of Slash without Axl, and vice-versa. Think of Jimmy Page... I bet you envisioned Robert Plant there with him. Or Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. They go hand-in-hand.

a true axl fan would understand Axl Rose is a genius
I dont say he is not, but he is not perfect... Trust me im axls big fan, but realistic fan :P

In fact, Axl was probably way more financially successful than Slash was.

I doubt that, Slash played almost 500 gigs with SMKC only (GNR played 350 from 2001 to 2014), released 6 records , had sponsorship agreements with Gibson, Epiphone, Ernie Ball, Marshall etc., he also makes his solo albums under his own label. And, the most important, he doesn't have to pay for infinite ChD sessions :P

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 1

I truly doubt that. Axl was one of the greatest singers of all time, that I can agree with. His voice and stage presence were unique to my ears and eyes. I still get goosebumps whenever I play Live Era or some 1993 bootlegs, but after REAL Gn'R broke up he became a fat joke, and he has continuously been a joke ever since. Yeah, we have had some good years (2006-2007 and 2010) but that doesn't mean that in terms of music history, he has been nothing but a failure.

It's just too bad and unfair that he had the talent, as we have seen that talent but he lost the will of being out there doing what no other people can do - being a legend.

Slash seems to be more respected all around.....you never hear much hate toward him other than a occasional person saying he is overrated.

you bring up Axl? oh man ppl can't wait to tell you how much of a dick he is.

this is moreso internet opinions though. i think Axl is respected in the grand scheme.