Who´s more iconic at this time?

ralebava

They both are caricature's

2733F2DA00000578-0-image-a-21_1427916973

Slash+Bridgestone+Super+Bowl+XLV+Halftim

Both far removed from their former image. Granted Slash is much more productive, doesn't make him any less creditworthy at times.

Maybe Slash got some of that Fergie action after the Perla split.

Are you speculating that he is the father of baby Axl?

:wow:

One thing for sure, she is a big GNR fan apparently. Hanging out with Slash, and naming her kid Axl.

Edited by BadApples87

I am no Axl fanatic at all. You called Axl a total failure and that is why I brought up the money issue. A total failure doesn't end up that rich while starting as a street rat. I already said Slash is definitely more iconic. I've repeatedly criticized Axl for the stupid stuff he has done throughout his career, whether it's showing up late, the Mickey Mouse voice, letting himself go physically, the bizarre clothing decisions, etc. I figure this reunion thing is going to implode if he continues to show up unprepared like he has over the last 10 years. The guy is not perfect, but he is not the total failure you seem to think he is.

Axl is a sad, fat and complete failure because of what he has done after real Gn'R broke up. If you're going to judge him as a whole, he had an excellent career that ended up in disappointment and embarrassment due to his attitude towards his bandmates, or at least that's how people perceive him in the music industry. The money has nothing to do with someone being iconic or not, that's the part that you're not understanding. He's a millionaire but that doesn't mean that he's a rock icon - or more iconic than Slash.

Maybe you should take off the glasses. I am very aware of the other members contributions. My point is you cannot take away from Axl the contributions he made, which you seem to want to pretend never happened. He was the perfect frontman for GN'R in that time and no matter what he has done since, you cannot describe his career overall as a failure.

And maybe you should learn how to read. I'm not taking away Axl's contributions, where did I say that? Guns N' Roses music was a band effort, that's a fact. There's no "...but Axl" or "...but without Slash" that's bullshit fanatics use to defend one or the other. I sincerely think that Guns N' Roses music should be judged as "Gn'R" instead of what Axl did or Slash did. We're discussing what happened after the band broke up. And comparing Slash with sad, fat joke Axl, well I think we know who wins.

Trust me, it is unfortunate that Axl became what he is now, he was my favorite singer of all time, but when you build something that big or you help others do it and then destroy it, people will remember you for the latter. Like I said, it isn't about me or my opinion, it's how the general public perceives it.

I've said it before, the guy is crazy enough that he probably never should have been a professional musician in the first place. The point about the money is pretty impressive given where he came from and his state of mind (crazy as hell). The guy probably should have ended up in jail, dead, or a mental institution long before GN'R got off the ground. And make no mistake, GN'R would not have been as successful without him. That's a fact no matter how much you want to pretend he had nothing to do with the band's success.

Again, learn how to read. I never tried to pretend that he had nothing to do with Gn'R's success. :lol: It is funny that you think I did.

And as for the rest of your post, that has nothing to do with someone being iconic or not. You're derailing the OP when you discuss stuff like money or "should have never been a musician." Who cares about that?

Stop grasping at straws and discuss the topic or, open another thread to discuss who's got more money or who's far richer. :)

When you repeatedly said he is a total failure, it comes across that you are saying he never did anything good. If that wasn't your intention, then you should have clarified it in your earlier posts. And I think the guy is a rock icon regardless of how ridiculous his behavior has been for the last 20 years. He is not as big of an icon as Slash of course. That's not really a debate IMHO. Slash has done a much better job protecting the image he created in the 80's and early 90's with the public. Axl has turned himself into a joke in recent years.

But claiming he's not a rock icon at all is not accurate either. You cannot just wipe out 1985-1993. That is part of who he is, just as 2000-2015 is part of who he is. To say otherwise is to deny the impact he had on pop culture during any period of time.

axl replaced slash and was a success, slash cannot replace axl because axl is irreplaceable so to the left to the left slash

Log off the internet. Go outside. Get some fresh air. Make some friends in real life and for the love of God lay off the fucking crack.

TRANNY_BANNER_PSD.jpg

(sorry no offence intended.. click here to make your own poorly photoshopped tranny banner!! )

Edited by Yowza!

axl replaced slash and was a success, slash cannot replace axl because axl is irreplaceable so to the left to the left slash

Log off the internet. Go outside. Get some fresh air. Make some friends in real life and for the love of God lay off the fucking crack.

TRANNY_BANNER_PSD.jpg

(sorry no offence intended.. click here to make your own poorly photoshopped tranny banner!! )

Wasn't offended. Just commenting on the irony of comparing Slash to Mickey Mouse when it's Axl he has the Mickey Mouse voice.

Wasn't offended. Just commenting on the irony of comparing Slash to Mickey Mouse when it's Axl he has the Mickey Mouse voice.

Oh right, yes- good point. I meant no offence to Tupac. Gotta admire the lad's passion !

(On another note; it's been bloody difficult to find the correct font for the original Tranner-banner artwork! ) ;)

Edited by Yowza!

Slash, far and away.

Axl has become something of a joke. He's more remembered for his staggering failures after GNR rather than his accomplishments with GNR.

And no, nuGNR isn't GNR.

Still more remembered for being late and canceling shows back in the day. That's pretty much his legacy. No one but us remembers or continues to care about the raincoat, Bridge School, and whatever other embarassments you're keeping track of. Except the weight gain.

Axl is a joke AND a legend at the same time. Howard Hughes was the same way and so was Michael Jackson. The two characteristics can co-exist believe it or not. No matter what he did over the last 20 years to ruin his reputation and image, it doesn't take away what he was in his prime and that was arguably the greatest frontman who ever existed.

I truly doubt that. Axl was one of the greatest singers of all time, that I can agree with. His voice and stage presence were unique to my ears and eyes. I still get goosebumps whenever I play Live Era or some 1993 bootlegs, but after REAL Gn'R broke up he became a fat joke, and he has continuously been a joke ever since. Yeah, we have had some good years (2006-2007 and 2010) but that doesn't mean that in terms of music history, he has been nothing but a failure.

It's just too bad and unfair that he had the talent, as we have seen that talent but he lost the will of being out there doing what no other people can do - being a legend.

Nothing but a failure? Seriously? Given how crazy the bastard is, the world is lucky we got stuff like Appetite, Lies, and UYI out of him (not to mention all the live shows of that period). I hate to break it to you, but nothing he has done in the last 20 years has any impact on the music created by old GN'R. It has stood the test of time and it will continue to stand the test of time. He is a big part of that music, so you can't say he is a failure.

It's similar to Michael Jackson. No matter how weird and fucked up Michael's life was in the 1990's and 2000's, the stuff he did in the 1980's will always be a big deal and he is a legend because of that. And by the way, being accused of child rape is a lot worse than disappearing into your mansion and occasionally touring with a bunch of replacement musicians under your old band's name.

That's the thing, though, you're talking about Guns N' Roses in your post, when we're discussing Axl Rose. Axl Rose isn't Guns N' Roses and certainly, wasn't GN'R when AFD, Lies and UYI came out. :) Slash was also part of those albums and even if he has done some embarrassing stuff over the years, he's not a joke in the eyes of the media or the people, but Axl is.

Axl is a fat, sad failure and has been for quite some time. It doesn't matter what you consider him to be. This thread is about "who's more iconic" and it's a question that needs to be answered with how the world sees it, rather than with your little, tiny fan opinion, get it? That's how it works.

It isn't like Michael Jackson because Michael Jackson never stopped being the legend he was, whenever he had to put a performance on, the crowds would go silent. His personal life, whatever was going on with him as a person, had zero impact on his music. Axl is a fat, sad joke because he destroyed everything he created, the image he had, and it was all connected to him as a musician, as a lyricist and as the lead singer of Guns N' Roses. That's a big difference. Axl is a confirmed women beater and disgrace of a person who beat up and humiliated women during his relationships, does anybody judge him as a musician for that? No. :)

I personally think that the thought of comparing a legend like Michael Jackson to a sad, joke and failure like Axl Rose should be sacrilegious, but that's just me.

Even if you include Axl's supposedly "failed career" of the last 20 years, he is richer by a long shot than any other rock musician from the Los Angeles music scene of the 1970's and 1980's, including Slash and any of the guys from Van Halen or Motley Crue. All of them have put out a lot more music than he has over the last 30 years, but GN'R was just that much bigger at its peak and Axl was smart enough to get the GN'R name rights from Slash and Duff which has been very profitable for him even if it helped ruin his image. From a strictly business standpoint, he is about as far from failure as it gets.

And this is where you start being a blind fanatic rather than a normal poster. Who's discussing who's got more money? Or who is far richer? This is about who's more iconic. :facepalm:

Here's the hierarchy as I see it, highest to lowest from top down:

80s Axl, bandana, level at top with Slash, at any age, but only if he's wearing the hat

(several rows between)

90s Axl, kilt

Young Slash, hatless, if he's got the shirt off and the hair right

90s Axl, anything else

(couple space)

2000 Axl with jersey, cornrows, weird look (but not iconic in a good way)

Fat Axl in one of those photos that turned out looking awful, yeah you know the one (also not in a good way)

Slash now, hatless, shirt off, holding guitar

Axl, leather biker look 2010s look

Slash now, hatless, shirt off, not holding guitar

Slash now, hatless, shirt on, no guitar

If this turns out to be shit, I was drunk when I did it.

Edited by Flayer

Axl is not a joke Axl is Rock Superatar He changes his image often to iconic looks: braids handlebar mustache etc.

Slash is more of the Joke today because he has the Same hat the same hair he is like bugs bunny or mickey mouse and can't write any good guitar parts without the genius axl rose to guide him.

Axl is number Rockstar in the world of all time.

Wow, that's ... awkward!

Axl like vocalist on rock history?

Slash like guitarist on rock history?

Iconic in the sense of being a very well-known character due to sticking to a particular image for the last 30 years, I'd say Slash, while iconic in the sense of being a mysterious enigma, I will have to go for Axl. They have both succeeed in remaining interesting to the media and well-known artists through quite opposites methods.