The Oscars 2016 [Nominations]

Nosaj Thing

I saw the Revenant the other night and wow. Maybe the most overrated movie of all time. The story was really weak and Leonardo Dicaprio's performance was incredibly meh. Crawling and grunting does not equal a great performance. This is an obvious case of someone getting credit for th eperformance before the movie was even released just based on name recognition and people have bought into the hype like sheep. How does Leo get a nod for best actor and Tom Hardy gets best supporting? His performance was better than Leo's and he was just as important to the movie, or more so than Leo. More lines, better character, better acting almost equal screen time.

The cinematography and special effects were excellent but as a whole the movie is average at best. 5.5 or 6 / 10 and I have no desire to ever see it again.

I just got back from seeing it, and more or less agree with all of your thoughts. The story was paper thin, and didn't really feel like it had any sort of direction until about an hour and a half in. Much of the film felt superfluous - particularly the side plot with the Native Americans and the French. The film could have easily been 45 minutes shorter and not lost anything of particular significance. Leo turned in a solid performance, but I don't think he was particularly incredible - I feel like he did what the role demanded as well as a number of other actors would have done if they were thrown in it. Tom Hardy was quite good. The directing and cinematography were excellent as I'd expect from Innaritu - I absolutely loved the long tracking shots in the opening battle. There were great, tense scenes scattered throughout the film - the bear attack and the scene where he cauterizes his neck shut were particular standouts. Still, the glue just wasn't there to hold everything together for me.

• Like 1

The Revenant reminded me of the criticism that people give a lot of Tarantino films that you're aware you're always watching a movie (Tarantino's rebuttal to that is pretty funny, too). I wasn't a fan of Inarritu's Birdman, and while I much preferred The Revenant, it still felt really "THIS IF A FILM" at moments with the cinematography/extended takes/GIVE ME MY OSCAR scenes.

It was a decent way to pass 2 hours but I don't see why I'd watch it again. Sakamoto's score was nice. The only other Best Pic nom I've seen is Fury Road and while I love that I'm not sure whether I'd call that or Ex Machina my favourite film that I saw from 2015.

The Revenant reminded me of the criticism that people give a lot of Tarantino films that you're aware you're always watching a movie (Tarantino's rebuttal to that is pretty funny, too). I wasn't a fan of Inarritu's Birdman, and while I much preferred The Revenant, it still felt really "THIS IF A FILM" at moments with the cinematography/extended takes/GIVE ME MY OSCAR scenes.

It was a decent way to pass 2 hours but I don't see why I'd watch it again. Sakamoto's score was nice. The only other Best Pic nom I've seen is Fury Road and while I love that I'm not sure whether I'd call that or Ex Machina my favourite film that I saw from 2015.

I'm glad I saw The Revenant once, but I agree I really have no desire to ever watch it again.

Of the Best Picture noms, I've seen Fury Road, The Martian, Brooklyn, and The Revenant. I know I want Fury Road to win of those, but I also realize it doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. I don't think it will be The Revenant; no screenplay nominations and that's a fairly good indicator. I loved The Martian, but I just don't see it winning Best Picture. Brooklyn was good, but I don't know if it was enough to take home Best Picture. I feel fairly confident that I haven't seen the Best Picture yet.

I wouldn't be disappointed if Innaritu took home Best Director again, but that is a very rare occasion, so it may not be particularly likely. Of the remaining choices, Miller gets my vote.

I'm not sure what to think in the Best Actor field this year. Leo was good, but I'm not sure he was good enough to take home the Oscar. Fassbender was stunning, if I got to pick the winner, he would be it. Will the Academy feel the same? Time will tell. Cranston was great in Trumbo, but I don't feel like he's got a shot with how competitive the field is this year. Redmayne is plagued by the consecutive wins factor, much like Innaritu is for Best Director. I will say though that I think Redmayne is more deserving of it this year than he was last year (I still don't agree with him taking it home last year). Matt Damon was delightful in The Martian - considering he spent 2 hours of the film entirely alone on a foreign planet, he conveyed emotion exceptionally well, and his use of humor to diffuse tension was appropriately placed. But I don't consider it an Oscar-winning role. I do think this is the most competitive I remember Best Actor ever being though - really all five nominees brought their A game, and whoever walks home with the Oscar I'll be okay with.

I think Hardy has a good shot for Best Supporting Actor - Stallone is the only real competition I see. I still say Walton Goggins should've gotten a nom for The Hateful Eight though, That was probably my favorite performance in any film last year.

I don't see it taking any of the technical categories, except maybe Makeup & Hairstyling. Fury Road will dominate in the technical fields.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've never watched one in my life, despite being a hardcore movie buff. My friend used to religiously watch it. I recall it lasting hours. I would much more stock in a film prevailing at Cannes or Venice than the Oscars.

Same here, movies are great but i have no particular interest in listening to filmmakers and actors unless they are going to talk about the craft or the mechanics of filmmaking, it's something like standing by a supermarket till watching people get served 'here yours' 'oh, thank you very much' only along with the thank you very much comes an outpouring of gratitude to a bunch of people no one cares about.

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Black Sabbath said:

Ugh, as much as I liked The Revenant and want Leo to win an Oscar, and I totally think he's deserved one in the past, I don't want him to win it for this performance. I'm rooting for Fassbender.

It's not a great performance. Hardy out does him easily. And his desperation for it has gotten embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Angelica said:

It's not a great performance. Hardy out does him easily. And his desperation for it has gotten embarrassing.

My thing is yeah he had to go through some shit during filming due to the nature of the film and everything, but he didn't turn himself into another person for the role, which to me is what you need to do  to deserve an Oscar win.

Not everyone can turn themselves into Steve Jobs and portray him in a film. But a lot of people can probably grunt and growl their way through a film for two hours in the blistering cold.

Just an example but you see where I'm coming from.

• Like 1