What Are You Listening To 2016

Black Sabbath

On 8/30/2016 at 5:51 PM, Len Cnut said:

I must say i have equal love for all The Beatles.

disclaimer: i do NOT recall writing all that rubbish about Sir Paul McCartney. at the time i was still under the influence of a great deal of champagne i was forced to drink at a wedding where the toasts went on endlessly! my most sincere apologies!

1 hour ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

disclaimer: i do NOT recall writing all that rubbish about Sir Paul McCartney. at the time i was still under the influence of a great deal of champagne i was forced to drink at a wedding where the toasts went on endlessly! my most sincere apologies!

I'm a MASSIVE Lennon fan, as massive as you can get, i just think those four boys together made a one off, lightning in a bottle, incomparable, earth shattering, immense, gargantuan, mind-blowing fucking thing that was inch perfect from inception to denouement and it was that unique and that special that I decided really early on that i didn't care for this Lennon vs McCartney or George was the best or Ringo was just a drummer stuff, whatever that mad fuckin' magic those lads made it had something to do with all 4 of them, The Beatles to me, everything they did was perfect and to remove any element from them would dent that perfection...and thats basically the reason for my stance.

And speaking more generally I've never been one for fucking with chemistry either, when you get that musical mixture just right with a band that they're just fuckin' perfect if you fuck around with it it don't work well, I don't think GnR were ever as good as the appetite or Lies era, i don't think The Clash were ever the same after Topper Headon left, i don't think The Stones ever sounded as revolutionary and different and weird and brilliant as they did with Brian Jones on the firm, i don't think The Who could ever even approach being that magnificent thing they were when Keith Moon was in the band...thats partly to do with it too but with The Beatles it's more so the case that with anybody else because, really, if you really think about what those boys did, when they did it and the way they did it, it's almost something that could make you believe in God, it was just amazing.  Lennon was just brilliant and Paul was like...he could pull a melody out of clear blue sky and George was massively underrated and even Ringo as a drummer, the much maligned Ringo, if you pay close attention to the drumming on Beatles albums it's very unique, almost on the off-beat, the accents of the drumming appear to be in the wrong place and the reason for that is Ringo was a left handed drummer playing a right handed kit so he was heavy on the 'wrong' hand...but it just makes it all that much more perfect.  It's things like that that give music it's unique character and personality.  This is something Axl Rose would do well to understand, instead aiming for idealised perfection you can find it in the way the good bits as well as the 'bad' bits of certain musical performers just mesh together.  Thats why Appetite sounds like a fuckin' amazing album and Chi Dem sounds like someone pressed a button on the memory bank of a Casio keyboard.  The funky punk bass work of Duff, the bluesy hard rock attitude of Slash, the laid back supreme American rhythm playing of Izzy and the freewheelin' swing of Adler, with the sauce of Axls fuckin' mental voice over the top of it is like...a more lightweight version of that kind of synergy and it's SUCH a precious thing and i think musicians should bust their fuckin' guts to preserve it cuz history has proved time and time again that it don't come but once.

NOBODY could've sung those Uncle songs like Yellow Submarine etc better than Ringo, Hard Days Night and Help would've been nothing without Ringo, all those funny little nonsense song names like Hard Days Night come from malapropisms of Ringos, he's essential, they were all essential and like...for all i care they could've hated each others guts, to me they were the fuckin' bollocks and they always will be.  To come from where they came from and to become like...arguably the greatest cultural phenomenon of the 20th Century, it's absolutely mind blowing to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm a MASSIVE Lennon fan, as massive as you can get, i just think those four boys together made a one off, lightning in a bottle, incomparable, earth shattering, immense, gargantuan, mind-blowing fucking thing that was inch perfect from inception to denouement and it was that unique and that special that I decided really early on that i didn't care for this Lennon vs McCartney or George was the best or Ringo was just a drummer stuff, whatever that mad fuckin' magic those lads made it had something to do with all 4 of them, The Beatles to me, everything they did was perfect and to remove any element from them would dent that perfection...and thats basically the reason for my stance.

And speaking more generally I've never been one for fucking with chemistry either, when you get that musical mixture just right with a band that they're just fuckin' perfect if you fuck around with it it don't work well, I don't think GnR were ever as good as the appetite or Lies era, i don't think The Clash were ever the same after Topper Headon left, i don't think The Stones ever sounded as revolutionary and different and weird and brilliant as they did with Brian Jones on the firm, i don't think The Who could ever even approach being that magnificent thing they were when Keith Moon was in the band...thats partly to do with it too but with The Beatles it's more so the case that with anybody else because, really, if you really think about what those boys did, when they did it and the way they did it, it's almost something that could make you believe in God, it was just amazing.  Lennon was just brilliant and Paul was like...he could pull a melody out of clear blue sky and George was massively underrated and even Ringo as a drummer, the much maligned Ringo, if you pay close attention to the drumming on Beatles albums it's very unique, almost on the off-beat, the accents of the drumming appear to be in the wrong place and the reason for that is Ringo was a left handed drummer playing a right handed kit so he was heavy on the 'wrong' hand...but it just makes it all that much more perfect.  It's things like that that give music it's unique character and personality.  This is something Axl Rose would do well to understand, instead aiming for idealised perfection you can find it in the way the good bits as well as the 'bad' bits of certain musical performers just mesh together.  Thats why Appetite sounds like a fuckin' amazing album and Chi Dem sounds like someone pressed a button on the memory bank of a Casio keyboard.  The funky punk bass work of Duff, the bluesy hard rock attitude of Slash, the laid back supreme American rhythm playing of Izzy and the freewheelin' swing of Adler, with the sauce of Axls fuckin' mental voice over the top of it is like...a more lightweight version of that kind of synergy and it's SUCH a precious thing and i think musicians should bust their fuckin' guts to preserve it cuz history has proved time and time again that it don't come but once.

NOBODY could've sung those Uncle songs like Yellow Submarine etc better than Ringo, Hard Days Night and Help would've been nothing without Ringo, all those funny little nonsense song names like Hard Days Night come from malapropisms of Ringos, he's essential, they were all essential and like...for all i care they could've hated each others guts, to me they were the fuckin' bollocks and they always will be.  To come from where they came from and to become like...arguably the greatest cultural phenomenon of the 20th Century, it's absolutely mind blowing to me.

agreed :)

9 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

My sister once pointed out to me that this is a sort of a cold song disguised as a love song with a deceptive chorus.  I never thought of it that way before but if you think about it he's actually telling a girl 'we can get on or we can not, it dont bother me either way'.  The Beatles did a lot of that, slipping that sort of stuff in to what appear to be love songs or at least like, frilly light songs.

• Like 1

Just now, Len Cnut said:

My sister once pointed out to me that this is a sort of a cold song disguised as a love song with a deceptive chorus.  I never thought of it that way before but if you think about it he's actually telling a girl 'we can get on or we can not, it dont bother me either way'.  The Beatles did a lot of that, slipping that sort of stuff in to what appear to be love songs or at least like, frilly light songs.

yes very clever these lads from Liverpool! btw i think all British guys should sound like John Lennon. or Alan Rickman :)

12 minutes ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

very sad about Brian. however his absence and Axl joining the band has me listening to more AC/DC with Bon than ever before! i found this on youtube, did AC/DC ever do this or was it just Bon? i think it would be a good song for AXL/DC to try out :)

Its just Bon. 

Not with AC/DC. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Wasnt that the play between Lennon and Macca? Macca was always positive like "try to see it my way" and Lennon counters in the chorus "life is very short and theres no time....". 

Just like Getting Better when Macca sings "its getting better all the time" and Lennon sings "it cant get any worse". They always had this sort of antithesis going on between each other.

• Like 1